Express Fashion Employee Reviews

Great company
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY28 January 2015
Great company that gives recognition to employees. Lots of perks and benefits!
fashion place to work
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TX27 January 2015
Every day that I went to work meet new people with new needs I learn that you need different types of strategies to sell, sometimes you need to help your co-workers teaching them what you learn for example how to use the register and how to open a new credit account and the correct way to interact and make the connection with customers, the hardest part of the job is when you have to be at two places at the same time for example in the mornings there was just three associates for three areas and if you were the closer to he register you must charge that person but ou had to make sure not to neglet your area, the enjoyable part of the job is when you saw a smile in the client.
You're only as good as your sales numbers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Massachusetts14 December 2014
Poorly run company whose direction is all over the place. They care only about profit margins. It doesn't matter how much effort or care you put into your position, if you're not exceeding sales goals you are harassed until you quit.
Have to be productive and energetic
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX10 December 2014
Very fast pace job. If you love fashion and helping people put an outfit together, then this is the perfect job.
Pros
You get to see first hand on the latest fashion pieces of the season.
Cons
Overwork their employees with not enough pay.
Productive, fashionable
Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Destin, Florida28 November 2014
I loved working for Express, because we were encouraged to show our fashion sense. It was always fun with my coworkers and hardly ever a hard day at work. I was a sales leader and that is basically a manager on duty. I loved leading my team and making sure we were all working for the same goals.
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate/Merchandise Processing (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NY1 November 2014
I loved working here, great staff/management. Valuable skills gained.
part time job
Manager (Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Tigard, OR23 October 2014
it was okay for a first job, wasnt so happy how the managers would treat others
Amazing management and coworkers. Tough retail environment
Full Time Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FL13 September 2014
Being the sales lead of the store I was very well liked by management, coworkers, and subordinates. I enjoyed this job mostly due to the benefits of buying a good brand of clothing at a discount. I had to meet many sales goals throughout the day. Most days we did very well under my management. Slower days were harder to meet goals. With a lot of responsibility in the store, I was not paid enough and had to move on.
Pros
Discounts on clothing, great management and employees
Cons
Did not pay enough and was not willing to pay higher
Great company to work for starting out
Brand Manager (Current Employee) –  Monroe, LA24 July 2014
Your experience will depend on your team. I've had a great experience so far for the most part. I work with a pretty amazing team. I would say the pay could be better for the workload and you can pretty much forget about your life when it comes to being in management. Hence, the reason why I wouldn't recommend retail.
Productive and challenging work place
Sales Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY13 July 2014
A typical work day at Express would involve me clocking in, looking at the amount of sales we made for either the morning or the afternoon. Normally after this I would check the schedule to see if any necessary schedule adjustments are required. For example if business is great this would often allow me to call in more associates to generate more sales and maintain the business throughout the day. However if business is slow then proper adjustments are also required. These adjustments would entail cutting schedule shifts for associates in a attempt to avoid going over payroll. Things I learned on the job was creating weekly payroll schedule and making proper adjustments based on how business was doing on a day to day. I also learned how to conduct inventory audits. Management at Express was great, however often times there was a great deal of favoritism. I absolutely love my coworkers, the amount of diversity at the job is one of the things I loved the most about it. I was given the opportunity to build lasting relationships with my coworkers and it also made working more fun. The hardest part of the job was selling to people. Sometimes people want to be left alone while shopping, which is completely understandable. Also another aspect of the job I found to be difficult was being short staffed on busy days. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to learn different things on the management level. Every day I learned something new and that was one of my favorite things about working at Express.
Pros
Diversity, Discount on clothing, Helping people
Cons
Often short staffed, favoritism on managment level, Late nights, Low pay
I thought it was a fun work place, until I learned the truth how management treated the associates.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Homestead, PA12 July 2014
When I was scheduled for the orientation meeting when I got hired, I met the store manager, I told her who I was and she said 'oh' as if she was dissapointed I was hired to be there.

Both store manager and assistant manager and one of the sales associate told me regarding my position that they never trained anyone to do that job and I had to learn on my own. I asked for help and they acted like they didn't want to show me.

Both store and assistant manager were bullying me.

I noticed other sales associates had quit because of the lack of direction and lack of knowing what to do for the store and their jobs. I then later put in my notice. I also heard they were treated poorly by management. I learned a day before my last week working there that I had to train a new employee. But, then, no one could train me? So, honestly, I didn't show up on my last week.

So, if those two managers are still working there, I'd advise anyone not to apply at that particular location. Nothing but bullies.
Pros
Constant learning of loss prevention strategies
Cons
Store manager & Assistant Manager didn't know what they were doing
Fun laid back environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City. OK29 June 2014
Your ring up customers and fold clothes mostly. Pace is slow and part timers don't get very many hours.
Love the fashion and the intimacy with customers.
Co-Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VA4 June 2014
I loved developing relationships with the customers to talk about fashion and trends. I didn't like the balance of my life outside of work.
Don't try to make a living off of this
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Portage, MI8 May 2014
It's a good job to have if you're in high school and just starting out or if you have a full time job and need some extra income. The hours aren't great and the pay is minimum wage. I started in November near the beginning of the holiday rush and was provided little to no training. A daily shift included about 30% interaction with customers, 70% random tasking... also you're expected to push the credit card. Weeks will vary, some weeks you'll have 8 hours, then the next you'll have 20. The company does "on-call" shifts which are a huge inconvenience to your day. If you are scheduled an on-call shift you are required to call in 2 hours before you're scheduled to come in and they'll decide if they need you or not. For example, if you're scheduled for a 5-10pm on-call, you'll be expected to call in at 3pm and they'll decide on the spot if they need you or not based on hours and traffic.

However, I've met some very talented individuals here and started to become friends with some of them. My co-workers were also very diverse not only in race but in character too, which I liked a lot.

It's not a bad place to work, but definitely make it a second job or something to make a residual income.
Pros
30% employee discount, flexible work schedule
Cons
Lack of structure with training, bad hours and bad pay
History of poor DM communication & disorganization
Co-manager (Former Employee) –  NY6 May 2014
I worked for Express years ago and my experience as a co-manager sounds similar to the reviews here.
Our DM rarely came to the store! He knew things were not right i.e. the SM was so in love with the brother of a sales associate that she allowed him (the associate) to do anything he wanted to which included stealing money, merchandise and time.
It was a crazy experience but LP did their job & investigated. They fired all of our associates for theft but one. We were left with no one to work!
Eventually they fired the SM and finally the DM but I'd quit by then. It was such an unprofessional environment and it went on unchecked for too long.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no direction/communication
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL7 March 2014
Over all a good work experience, I learned a lot about myself and about the company. Management was good, no complaints. It was such a good and balanced "work family." Hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers and inventory. The most enjoyable part of the job, ironically, was also the customers. I've met and made plenty of people, made loyal customers come back for more and always had a fun time.
Fun and easy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SC26 February 2014
My experience with Express Fashion was fun and easy although I only worked seasonal I they gave me my first chance to work in retail. The managers are the best and make your working experience enjoyable.
Terrible store manager
sales assiociate (Former Employee) –  trumbull, connecticut9 February 2014
I was working here for a lil over a yr and at the beginning it was great, fun, it was tons of team work, the managers was phenomenal... the training was efficient... but their were changes... all new managers and everything went downhill.. people was quitting once a week, no days off then you'll have a week off .. the store manager talks to you and everyone else very rude... PLEASE DON'T WORK HERE hours sucks almost thru out the year except the holidays cuz its obvious. The pay is worst...
Pros
days off aways from the store manager, if she doesnt call you..
Cons
THE STORE MANAGER
Team Work in the workplace
Stock Expert (Current Employee) –  Providence, RI6 February 2014
Team work is very important in this job. I love the fact that even though everyone has their own specific jobs to do, we all find time to help each other and flex into other parts of the store if needed. I am a Stock Expert and during the holidays the sales team often help me get shipment done or take trash out. In my down times at work I work closely with the store's Visual Manager. Its like a workplace family. I love it
Pros
Opportunity to travel to Express stores throughout the USA
Cons
Compensation
Favorite clothes, best first real job I could've asked for.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FL2 January 2014
At the beginning of this job, I wasn't very good with working with customers, sales, cashiering quickly, or doing my job at all really. I believe the management saw how much I loved the product itself that they let me stay as long as I did before I really started improving. To this day, this is the job I held the longest, and I loved every minute of it. I loved knowing I had work because I could get dressed up, work with customers and help them feel great in new outfits which were items that I had suggested, the music and environment, my co-workers, and just everything about the job was wonderful to me. It did become stressful at times because it'd be busy, or a customer would leave a fitting room a complete mess, but I wouldn't let those small things get in the way of how I felt about my job. I was always happy there and I learned so much. I learned a great deal of customer service, selling techniques, and how to deal with customers and their complaints. Towards the end of my career at Express, I became very talented in floor sets/visual marketing. I loved setting up for the new seasons and making the store look like a whole new place. I believe this became my strong point (along with selling credit cards) because I started to train quite a few new employees when it came to these shifts, which taught me a lot of responsibility.
Pros
Working in an industry that I loved
Cons
Not much opportunity to advance, pay raises, or hours.

2.9