Express Fashion

Express Fashion Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and flexible workplace
Head Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Pembroke Pines, FLAugust 2, 2013
Pros: fun, upbeat environment with flexible scheduling.
Cons: fluctuating weekly hours depending on business
- Assisting customers with finding merchandise, recommending additional merchandise, completing transactions (purchases, returns/exchanges, bill payments, credit card applications, online orders), maintaining store appearance and standards, meeting daily sale goals, customer satisfaction and assistance.
- Effective cashiering techniques, improved customer – more... service skills, team-work.
- Management work hand-in-hand with associates, relate to employees on personal levels to build a bond as a team in order to achieve success as a whole. Management works with associates as for scheduling and time off, and any other discrepancies.
- Fellow associates are friendly and make the work environment enjoyable.
- The hardest part of the job would be trying to achieve customer satisfaction 100% of the time, as sometimes you are not always able to make every single customer happy.
- The most enjoyable part of the job would be interacting with customers to discover their needs and being able to help customers in order for them to leave happily with what they came in looking for and possibly more. – less
Energetic place to work for
Fashion Expert (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 2, 2013
Pros: free gifts
Busy
The work process, something new day to day
Helping the customer
Learning Experiences with difficult people.
Fashion Consultant (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 27, 2013
A good place to work for a starter job. You can learn a lot if you have the patience required to handle difficult people.
Worst job I've ever had. RUN!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CAMay 5, 2013
Pros: quitting
Cons: hypocritical managers, short shifts, no hours, slavery
I've worked in retail for several years and have over seven years combined experience in customer servicing. I know how it's like to work in retail and in different environments and I decided to work for express because I love the clothing and I thought it would be a great experience. Nevertheless, this turned out to be the worst experience of my life. – more... Let's begin.

My interview was at 11am and I had to wait over 15 minutes for the manager. She was busy, I understand. The interview lasted no more than 1 minute. Where have you worked before? What do you dislike/like about retail? What's your availability? That was it!
Two weeks later, I'm on the phone with the same manager and she had more questions. Really? I'm not surprised. I spent about 10 minutes on the phone because she obviously had no idea what she was doing. I was soon hired and the manager was supposed to call me to inform me of my first shift but she never did. I called back a week later and it turns out I missed my first shift, even though I never got the call. On my first day working, I had a horrible shift. I worked over 9 hours and only got one paid 15-minute break and an unpaid 30 minute lunch. Where's my other 15? I was exhausted. This is beyond abuse.

On my 2nd and 3rd shift, I had a 4 or 5 hour shift. I was the only one working in the men's section and I had a snobby coworker "train" me. Actually, he kept asking me questions about the customers and he tried to catch me in a mistake but the only mistakes he was catching were his own. The managers are constantly hurling commands to my ear because we have to wear walkies. It's annoying! They watch you from afar and you're the peasant tending to their every needs. They don't do ANYTHING! I had to constantly run back and forth to greet customers, find their sizes, help them, etc., and the moment I missed one customer walking in, I would get in trouble even though the managers are right next to them! Where's the team effort? There is NONE.

Furthermore, the managers kept telling me I was doing a great job but would send me home shortly thereafter. If I'm doing something wrong, please tell me and teach me. They never corrected me on anything, so I believe I was doing a decent job. However, I was still sent home. One of my managers even told me to clock in EARLY from my break. You want me to clock in early from my break? RIDICULOUS. This is against the law. I kept having violations pop up on the computer screen and I wasn't sure what to do. When the managers give you a break or SKIP your break, this happens. You're FORCED to waive it. This, again, is shady. How dare they make me waive my breaks when I never opted for it.

They pay minimum wage, have no ethics, are hypocrites, you're basically a slave and there is no way to move up unless you spend 10 years with this company. It's awful! Please avoid and run away.

If you're okay with working 6 hours a week and being sent home early while putting up with terrible managers, this may be your job. – less
Express Fashion
Stock/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Columbus, OHApril 30, 2013
Working for express was great...not really got the chance to experience with fashion...it was good while it lasted
Productive and fun work place
Customer Sales Lead (Former Employee), Dothan, ALApril 12, 2013
Pros: wonderful customers as well as co-workers
Cons: short breaks, not enough staff during holiday season
A typical day would consist of me assisting customers with their selections and purchases, working side by side with a great management team as well as wonderful sales associates. The hardest part of my job was trying to assist customers with the right selection of clothing.
Learn ALOT, high standards, fun place to work!
Sales Lead (Current Employee), MinnesotaMarch 31, 2013
Pros: fun, good discount, extra 15% plus your discount once every quarter, quality clothes, learn alot, good benefits for full-time
Cons: low pay when you have keys and are responsible for opening/closing the store
I absolutely love working here! It was my first retail job but I learned so much and was able to advance and get promoted within about 2 years which is pretty fast compared to most places.
There are high standards to maintain while still having all your focus on delievering exceptional customer service but it is so beneficial to both your learning and – more... the business.
I have made many strong friendships through working here and coworkers were fun. The management made it fun to come to work which is why I stayed and wanted to advance and grow with the company. – less
Fun and productive
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee), Yonkers, NYMarch 11, 2013
I enjoyed working for this company while I was in school. I worked as a cashier and also worked on the sales floor.
7 years with this company and never realized how much I hated until after I left
Store Manager (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: great discounts, worked with and met great people, great care for customers
Cons: long hours, horrible communication, no support from supervisers
I worked for Express for 7 years and during this time I was promoted numerous times. I eventually became a store manager. I learned SO MUCH while I worked for this company, and I enjoyed it a great deal. I didn't realize how much I hated until I left. I worked in a challenging store with high shrink, an unusual customer demographic, and very challenging – more... sales goals. I worked typically 60 hours a week; being a salaried manager. I sometimes had to work 14 hour days, WITH NO BREAK. I "inherited" a lazy management team, that I had to turn, and I got very little support from my district manager. I typically went 3 months between visits from her, while there were 3 stores in my area that saw her bi-monthly. I spent a great deal of my retail career working for this company and I provided plenty of support for my team and my company, but got very little in return. This company will work you to death!!!! I left the brand about 4 years ago and I am still in the retail industry, and rarely work more than 40 hours, I always get my breaks, and my benefits are remarkable now. – less
Fun place to work for part time work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cerritos MallJanuary 28, 2013
Great co workers and great managers. Very sales oriented. Great place to start learning the retail industry. Most of the employees have a positive attitude. Hardest part about the job was getting used to standing for a couple hours at a time. The most enjoyable part was working with a team. Sometimes everyone worked together to help get a sale.
assistant training mgr
assistant training mgr (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 2, 2013
training others to become store and assistant mangers, open and closing the store, cash accounts, unloading trucks, customer service

everything

alright

got alone great

nothing

employees and customers
Fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Lithonia, GANovember 6, 2012
This job was awesome. I enjoyed working at a fast but steady pace and the customers were very friendly.
Absolutely Horrible
Store Manager (Former Employee), Las VegasOctober 16, 2012
Pros: absolutely not one and i gave it a good 6 months!
Cons: everything.
What a joke. No consistency, managers work waay more than they should and have no work/life balance, expectations way to high with a HUGE decrease in traffic, completely unrealistic. Do not work here!
Progressive Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Nashville/Chattanooga, TNSeptember 26, 2012
Head Cashier
Assisted in Floor Set/Plans
Sales Associate
Top Credit Performer
Fun Environment
no consistency in corporate directive and objective
Store Manager (Former Employee), ILSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: great fashion
Cons: no support from corporate
Express has great quality fashion. I enjoyed the customers that appreciated the brand and the customers that were new to the brand. My co-workers were great to work with and enjoyed their sense of style. The hardest part of the job was trying to understand the company's directions and the disconnect from corporate to the store level. The inconsistency – more... with directions, objectives and standards made the day to day operations more difficult and unrealistic. There was no support and understanding from my supervisors. They managed through intimations and did not inspire the staff to always do better. – less

October 5, 2012

A company that promotes co- managers is a misguided one. Co-management has been the destruction of many including the Fall of the Roman Empire. management 101, one leader!

Fun work environment with encouraging management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Blasdell, NYAugust 9, 2012
Pros: positivity, tasks, management
Cons: hours
A typical day at work was organizing the back room, putting new stock out on to the floor, and placing orders for what needed to be replaced in the store. Management was patient, kind and encouraging while being stern and creating a wonderful work environment. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the inconsistent hours. The most enjoyable part – more... of the job was the positivity. – less
An enjoyable place to work most of the time.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Manchester, CTAugust 7, 2012
Pros: interaction with customers and always something to do
Cons: snotty co-workers
There was many different things to do while at work like folding clothes, dressing manequins, cashiering, fitting room, greeting customers at the door etc. I didn't really care for my co-workers too much because they were all kind of snotty.
Learning to work on your feet
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Towson, MDJuly 30, 2012
This job require a lot of standing. It is also a lot of self motivate work. You should have a passion for the brand, or you will not enjoy the work.
Providing the best customer service possible
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Noblesville, INJuly 17, 2012
A common day was spent maintaining the storefront and making sure that everyone who walked through the door had the best experience that we could give them. I learned a lot about what it means to put a lot of effort into the job and seeing the rewards from the hard work. I thought that the work environment was fun and that was because of the team that – more... I was working with. There wasn't really one specifically hard part but floorsets could be challenging. I overall enjoyed everything about this job. – less
Great get through college job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Orange Park, FLJune 20, 2012
The environment was great and the discounts were great. The only thing I did not like about working at Express was having a quota for Credit Cards.

April 3, 2013

That is the downfall to all merchandise jobs now. Every store you go to, they all try to 'give' or 'sell' you some sort of rewards card. It's annoying.