Express Fashion Employee Reviews

Very fun place to work at..great environment.
CO-MANAGER (Former Employee) –  TexasMarch 25, 2016
I learned a lot with that company. I just started as a sales associate and quickly worked my way up to co manager. The opportunities to advance are there for anyone willing to push themselves for it.
Pros
Excellent Discount, Benefits, People.
Cons
Retail Life, Sacrifice Time With Family Sometimes.
Fast paced retail work environment
Sales/Stock Expert (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MODecember 11, 2015
If you already have a job and need a second, you are in high school/college or you simply need seasonal employment then Express Clothing may be a fit for you. If you are looking for a full time job, this will NOT be a fit for you. Hours and times of your shift are NEVER consistent. Pay is minimum wage but at times is tolerable because of the discount. If you work 6 hours or more you get a break so management tries to schedule everyone for 5 hour shifts or less. With 5 managers (Store manager, assistant manager, part time manager, hiring manager/key holder, visual/floor set key holder), you may be shown how to do something 5 different ways and each manager will tell you that whomever told you to do it that way is wrong. You may be assigned multiple tasks at once and you must drop anything you are doing to initiate the GUEST selling model when a customer enters the store. The GUEST selling model (greet, uncover needs, engage, suggest, thank) is annoying to some customers but it's still required. You MUST repeat promotions/sales to EVERY customer that walks in. Working here you are made to build a rapport with customers but in return you feel like a robot repeating yourself. On good selling days, this is a high energy place. Time actually flies by. On slow days it's SLLLLOOOOW and you may get your shift cut.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pay/Hours No advancement
Not a company you want to build with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJNovember 11, 2015
Good to work if your still high school part time

Typical day consist of helping customers
Selling credit cards
Folding clothes
Cleaning up
Walking around the floor telling customers the daily promotion
Pros
Discounts on clothes
Cons
Long hours. Not many breaks
Different perspectives change the atmosphere
Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 10, 2015
Typical day at work starts with opening registers and taking the deposit to the bank. Check shipment in, do an audit count on boxes, sort merchandise, complete morning paperwork. Help run door to floor. Greet customers, uncover their needs, engage with customers, suggest items to customers, and thank them for coming into our store. My management experience came to me after being at the company for at least a year and comes with delegating tasks to associates and earning their respect especially after entering management so quickly. My coworkers are great people and the associates do their jobs without even asking. The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers. Our return/exchange policy can be difficult to understand at times and sometimes there are customers that are confused or frustrated with the policy. I have to stay calm, try my best to simplify our policy so the customer has an understanding, and do my best to help the customer as much as possible so they walk out of the store feeling somewhat better than coming in. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you help a customer through a difficult situation and they are thanking you profusely for doing everything you could.
Typical, minimum wage job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WaAugust 4, 2015
Minimum wage mall job. Don't expect great work culture, or many advancement opportunities. Mostly staffed by high school kids or recent graduates; maturity levels vary. Management is alright.
productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLMarch 1, 2016
typical work day at express is cleaning and putting out merchandise to fill the floor to make sure that the store was filled with everything that need to be filled. It was just a job that I enjoyed working with some of my managers.
Great place to work and learn about sales
Full Time Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAFebruary 20, 2016
Love working for this company. They are sales driven, care about their customers and employees, and they truly love what they do for a living. Overall a great place to work.
Amazing management and coworkers. Tough retail environment
Full Time Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLSeptember 13, 2014
Being the sales lead of the store I was very well liked by management, coworkers, and subordinates. I enjoyed this job mostly due to the benefits of buying a good brand of clothing at a discount. I had to meet many sales goals throughout the day. Most days we did very well under my management. Slower days were harder to meet goals. With a lot of responsibility in the store, I was not paid enough and had to move on.
Pros
discounts on clothing, great management and employees
Cons
did not pay enough and was not willing to pay higher
Pretty cool
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYFebruary 5, 2016
Your experience depends on the people around you. If the people are great you'll enjoy it, if not, you'll hate it. I loved the first location I worked at. The second, not so much.
Learn ALOT, high standards, fun place to work!
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaMarch 31, 2013
I absolutely love working here! It was my first retail job but I learned so much and was able to advance and get promoted within about 2 years which is pretty fast compared to most places.
There are high standards to maintain while still having all your focus on delievering exceptional customer service but it is so beneficial to both your learning and the business.
I have made many strong friendships through working here and coworkers were fun. The management made it fun to come to work which is why I stayed and wanted to advance and grow with the company.
Pros
fun, good discount, extra 15% plus your discount once every quarter, quality clothes, learn alot, good benefits for full-time
Cons
low pay when you have keys and are responsible for opening/closing the store
Fashionable place for young trendy person to be and learn all about fashion.
Sales assoicate (Former Employee) –  Knoxville,TNNovember 27, 2011
Overall great place to work if you need a part time or second job. Just not a full time job. Everyone is cross trained too so you are not always stuck doing the same thing. Tasks rotate every few hours. Sales goals are made by the entire teas not each sales associate, which promotes team work. Fashion training is super fun and informative.
Pros
great discount, lots to keep you busy, very positive managment, low employee turn over.
Cons
low pay even with retail experience. low raises.
7 years with this company and never realized how much I hated until after I left
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 31, 2013
I worked for Express for 7 years and during this time I was promoted numerous times. I eventually became a store manager. I learned SO MUCH while I worked for this company, and I enjoyed it a great deal. I didn't realize how much I hated until I left. I worked in a challenging store with high shrink, an unusual customer demographic, and very challenging sales goals. I worked typically 60 hours a week; being a salaried manager. I sometimes had to work 14 hour days, WITH NO BREAK. I "inherited" a lazy management team, that I had to turn, and I got very little support from my district manager. I typically went 3 months between visits from her, while there were 3 stores in my area that saw her bi-monthly. I spent a great deal of my retail career working for this company and I provided plenty of support for my team and my company, but got very little in return. This company will work you to death!!!! I left the brand about 4 years ago and I am still in the retail industry, and rarely work more than 40 hours, I always get my breaks, and my benefits are remarkable now.
Pros
great discounts, worked with and met great people, great care for customers
Cons
long hours, horrible communication, no support from supervisers
High pace, high energy company
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 27, 2015
Everyday is different at express. Most of the time is spent on the sales floor working with customers no matter what position you are in, so you must like people to enjoy this job. There is a large amount of trust that is places in each sales associate to ensure that customers are well taken care of.

I loved the atmosphere, it allowed for my personality to really come through no matter the situation and it was encouraged. Ultimately it comes down to having a good store manager and district manager as to what your experience is like and thankfully the individuals i worked under were incredibly supportive and understanding.

The biggest reason I left was the schedule, which is how retail is as opposed to something that is exclusive with Express. I wanted to be off on nights and weekends and with a retail job it's impossible to expect those hours. If I could work this job Monday thru Friday, 8-5 I would be back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Great discount (40%), most of the employees are super friendly
Cons
long hours, nights, weekends and holidays
Great company
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2015
Great company that gives recognition to employees. Lots of perks and benefits!
Team Work in the workplace
Stock Expert (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 6, 2014
Team work is very important in this job. I love the fact that even though everyone has their own specific jobs to do, we all find time to help each other and flex into other parts of the store if needed. I am a Stock Expert and during the holidays the sales team often help me get shipment done or take trash out. In my down times at work I work closely with the store's Visual Manager. Its like a workplace family. I love it
Pros
opportunity to travel to express stores throughout the usa
Cons
compensation
Horrible experience unless you're still in high school.
Sales assoicate (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXOctober 28, 2013
I don't know if it's just this location but I've worked in the women's ever since I started. The managers and the co managers are really strict on assoicate to greet the customers, even if the customers don't greet back, you have to. What I learned about this company, you have to be a fashionista to even work here and how they see that you are a fashionista then they will give you more hours ( 15-25) and let you get away with anything. My co workers? Typical high school girls ( I'm 26 btw) who wants every staff employee to kiss their butt, walking around the store thinking they run everything when they don't. And Yes, you do have to wear Express clothing, even if some of the clothes aren't even your style. The dress code is so ridiculous that shouldn't matter if a assoicate wears express clothing or not, just long it doesn't show the logo and it looks decent. The manager was way out of line and the co managers needs to be fired ASAP. As far I recommending this position to anyone, I would only say, if you are a fashion major, have a second job (in case they will shorten your hours), and will have a strong mind when they are in a situation when they are dealing with managers and co managers that will try to out smart you.
Pros
none. lol
Cons
no benefits for part time employees, short hours, catty and messy co workers, dress code
Favorite clothes, best first real job I could've asked for.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 2, 2014
At the beginning of this job, I wasn't very good with working with customers, sales, cashiering quickly, or doing my job at all really. I believe the management saw how much I loved the product itself that they let me stay as long as I did before I really started improving. To this day, this is the job I held the longest, and I loved every minute of it. I loved knowing I had work because I could get dressed up, work with customers and help them feel great in new outfits which were items that I had suggested, the music and environment, my co-workers, and just everything about the job was wonderful to me. It did become stressful at times because it'd be busy, or a customer would leave a fitting room a complete mess, but I wouldn't let those small things get in the way of how I felt about my job. I was always happy there and I learned so much. I learned a great deal of customer service, selling techniques, and how to deal with customers and their complaints. Towards the end of my career at Express, I became very talented in floor sets/visual marketing. I loved setting up for the new seasons and making the store look like a whole new place. I believe this became my strong point (along with selling credit cards) because I started to train quite a few new employees when it came to these shifts, which taught me a lot of responsibility.
Pros
working in an industry that i loved
Cons
not much opportunity to advance, pay raises, or hours.
productive , drama free work place
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLJuly 20, 2015
my work place comes alive at night , the customers are a blast to help, they're mostly tourist so as i'm helping them out i'm also getting to know a little about where they're from and the reason they're visiting Miami. i love working there.
Pros
seeing tourist everyday
Cons
Not the best but not the worst
Full-Time Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXMarch 13, 2015
A typical day involves doing the opening/closing routine, monitoring and working alongside associates to ensure task are completed quickly and efficiently.

I learned the different aspects of retail and how to run a business effectively and tracking fashion.

The management on an in-store level is fine. but the further go up the chain (store manager and up) they tend to care less about what goes on if it doesn't involve making the company more money and they are very hard to communicate and get in contact with.

Co-workers are very friendly and cooperative

hardest part of the job maintaining a full staff and some tasks have unrealistic deadlines, for example one week our company owner and his party were visiting the store so we had to prep for that and we were given one week to complete a floorset, inventory and inventory prep (which takes about a week for a store that size) on top of overnight maintenance and our typical daily tasks

most enjoyable part of the job was paid time off
Pros
employee discount
Cons
lack of structure, lack of communication, unrealistic deadlines
not too great
Customer Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Holyoke MAAugust 11, 2015
Not the best place to work, the people are fine but the hours and pay aren't worth what you put up with. Unfortunately corporate doesn't seem to care too much about it's employees.