Express Fashion

Express Fashion Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Not the best but not the worst
Full-Time Sales Lead (Former Employee), Frisco, TXMarch 13, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: lack of structure, lack of communication, unrealistic deadlines
A typical day involves doing the opening/closing routine, monitoring and working alongside associates to ensure task are completed quickly and efficiently.

I learned the different aspects of retail and how to run a business effectively and tracking fashion.

The management on an in-store level is fine. but the further go up the chain (store manager and up) they tend to care less about what goes on if it doesn't involve making the company more money and they are very hard to communicate and get in contact with.

Co-workers are very friendly and cooperative

hardest part of the job maintaining a full staff and some tasks have unrealistic deadlines, for example one week our company owner and his party were visiting the store so we had to prep for that and we were given one week to complete a floorset, inventory and inventory prep (which takes about a week for a store that size) on top of overnight maintenance and our typical daily tasks

most enjoyable part of the job was paid time off
Great company
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 28, 2015
Great company that gives recognition to employees. Lots of perks and benefits!
fashion place to work
Sales representative (Former Employee), McAllen, TXJanuary 27, 2015
Every day that I went to work meet new people with new needs I learn that you need different types of strategies to sell, sometimes you need to help your co-workers teaching them what you learn for example how to use the register and how to open a new credit account and the correct way to interact and make the connection with customers, the hardest part of the job is when you have to be at two places at the same time for example in the mornings there was just three associates for three areas and if you were the closer to he register you must charge that person but ou had to make sure not to neglet your area, the enjoyable part of the job is when you saw a smile in the client.
You're only as good as your sales numbers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), MassachusettsDecember 14, 2014
Poorly run company whose direction is all over the place. They care only about profit margins. It doesn't matter how much effort or care you put into your position, if you're not exceeding sales goals you are harassed until you quit.
Have to be productive and energetic
Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 10, 2014
Pros: you get to see first hand on the latest fashion pieces of the season.
Cons: overwork their employees with not enough pay.
Very fast pace job. If you love fashion and helping people put an outfit together, then this is the perfect job.
Productive, fashionable
Sales Leader (Former Employee), Destin, FloridaNovember 28, 2014
I loved working for Express, because we were encouraged to show our fashion sense. It was always fun with my coworkers and hardly ever a hard day at work. I was a sales leader and that is basically a manager on duty. I loved leading my team and making sure we were all working for the same goals.
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate/Merchandise Processing (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYNovember 1, 2014
I loved working here, great staff/management. Valuable skills gained.
part time job
Manager (Supervisor) (Current Employee), Tigard, OROctober 23, 2014
it was okay for a first job, wasnt so happy how the managers would treat others
Amazing management and coworkers. Tough retail environment
Full Time Sales Lead (Former Employee), Pembroke Pines, FLSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: discounts on clothing, great management and employees
Cons: did not pay enough and was not willing to pay higher
Being the sales lead of the store I was very well liked by management, coworkers, and subordinates. I enjoyed this job mostly due to the benefits of buying a good brand of clothing at a discount. I had to meet many sales goals throughout the day. Most days we did very well under my management. Slower days were harder to meet goals. With a lot of responsibility in the store, I was not paid enough and had to move on.
Great company to work for starting out
Brand Manager (Current Employee), Monroe, LAJuly 24, 2014
Your experience will depend on your team. I've had a great experience so far for the most part. I work with a pretty amazing team. I would say the pay could be better for the workload and you can pretty much forget about your life when it comes to being in management. Hence, the reason why I wouldn't recommend retail.
Productive and challenging work place
Sales Lead Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 13, 2014
Pros: diversity, discount on clothing, helping people
Cons: often short staffed, favoritism on managment level, late nights, low pay
A typical work day at Express would involve me clocking in, looking at the amount of sales we made for either the morning or the afternoon. Normally after this I would check the schedule to see if any necessary schedule adjustments are required. For example if business is great this would often allow me to call in more associates to generate more sales and maintain the business throughout the day. However if business is slow then proper adjustments are also required. These adjustments would entail cutting schedule shifts for associates in a attempt to avoid going over payroll. Things I learned on the job was creating weekly payroll schedule and making proper adjustments based on how business was doing on a day to day. I also learned how to conduct inventory audits. Management at Express was great, however often times there was a great deal of favoritism. I absolutely love my coworkers, the amount of diversity at the job is one of the things I loved the most about it. I was given the opportunity to build lasting relationships with my coworkers and it also made working more fun. The hardest part of the job was selling to people. Sometimes people want to be left alone while shopping, which is completely understandable. Also another aspect of the job I found to be difficult was being short staffed on busy days. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to learn different things on the management level. Every day I learned something new and that was one of my favorite things about working at Express.
I thought it was a fun work place, until I learned the truth how management treated the associates.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Homestead, PAJuly 12, 2014
Pros: constant learning of loss prevention strategies
Cons: store manager & assistant manager didn't know what they were doing
When I was scheduled for the orientation meeting when I got hired, I met the store manager, I told her who I was and she said 'oh' as if she was dissapointed I was hired to be there.

Both store manager and assistant manager and one of the sales associate told me regarding my position that they never trained anyone to do that job and I had to learn on my own. I asked for help and they acted like they didn't want to show me.

Both store and assistant manager were bullying me.

I noticed other sales associates had quit because of the lack of direction and lack of knowing what to do for the store and their jobs. I then later put in my notice. I also heard they were treated poorly by management. I learned a day before my last week working there that I had to train a new employee. But, then, no one could train me? So, honestly, I didn't show up on my last week.

So, if those two managers are still working there, I'd advise anyone not to apply at that particular location. Nothing but bullies.
Fun laid back environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Oklahoma City. OKJune 29, 2014
Your ring up customers and fold clothes mostly. Pace is slow and part timers don't get very many hours.
Love the fashion and the intimacy with customers.
Co-Manager (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAJune 4, 2014
I loved developing relationships with the customers to talk about fashion and trends. I didn't like the balance of my life outside of work.
Don't try to make a living off of this
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Portage, MIMay 8, 2014
Pros: 30% employee discount, flexible work schedule
Cons: lack of structure with training, bad hours and bad pay
It's a good job to have if you're in high school and just starting out or if you have a full time job and need some extra income. The hours aren't great and the pay is minimum wage. I started in November near the beginning of the holiday rush and was provided little to no training. A daily shift included about 30% interaction with customers, 70% random tasking... also you're expected to push the credit card. Weeks will vary, some weeks you'll have 8 hours, then the next you'll have 20. The company does "on-call" shifts which are a huge inconvenience to your day. If you are scheduled an on-call shift you are required to call in 2 hours before you're scheduled to come in and they'll decide if they need you or not. For example, if you're scheduled for a 5-10pm on-call, you'll be expected to call in at 3pm and they'll decide on the spot if they need you or not based on hours and traffic.

However, I've met some very talented individuals here and started to become friends with some of them. My co-workers were also very diverse not only in race but in character too, which I liked a lot.

It's not a bad place to work, but definitely make it a second job or something to make a residual income.
History of poor DM communication & disorganization
Co-manager (Former Employee), NYMay 6, 2014
Cons: long hours, no direction/communication
I worked for Express years ago and my experience as a co-manager sounds similar to the reviews here.
Our DM rarely came to the store! He knew things were not right i.e. the SM was so in love with the brother of a sales associate that she allowed him (the associate) to do anything he wanted to which included stealing money, merchandise and time.
It was a crazy experience but LP did their job & investigated. They fired all of our associates for theft but one. We were left with no one to work!
Eventually they fired the SM and finally the DM but I'd quit by then. It was such an unprofessional environment and it went on unchecked for too long.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 7, 2014
Over all a good work experience, I learned a lot about myself and about the company. Management was good, no complaints. It was such a good and balanced "work family." Hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers and inventory. The most enjoyable part of the job, ironically, was also the customers. I've met and made plenty of people, made loyal customers come back for more and always had a fun time.
Fun and easy
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCFebruary 26, 2014
My experience with Express Fashion was fun and easy although I only worked seasonal I they gave me my first chance to work in retail. The managers are the best and make your working experience enjoyable.
Terrible store manager
sales assiociate (Former Employee), trumbull, connecticutFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: days off aways from the store manager, if she doesnt call you..
Cons: the store manager
I was working here for a lil over a yr and at the beginning it was great, fun, it was tons of team work, the managers was phenomenal... the training was efficient... but their were changes... all new managers and everything went downhill.. people was quitting once a week, no days off then you'll have a week off .. the store manager talks to you and everyone else very rude... PLEASE DON'T WORK HERE hours sucks almost thru out the year except the holidays cuz its obvious. The pay is worst...
Team Work in the workplace
Stock Expert (Current Employee), Providence, RIFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: opportunity to travel to express stores throughout the usa
Cons: compensation
Team work is very important in this job. I love the fact that even though everyone has their own specific jobs to do, we all find time to help each other and flex into other parts of the store if needed. I am a Stock Expert and during the holidays the sales team often help me get shipment done or take trash out. In my down times at work I work closely with the store's Visual Manager. Its like a workplace family. I love it

1 2 3