Exova Employee Reviews

technical opportunities
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 March 2017
most opportunities exist in Technical testing / environment engineering. working with construction and fire testing
Pros
great benefits
Cons
management heavy
An overall good place to work
Administrative Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 January 2017
relaxed atmosphere
most co-workers are great
learned a few new programs
pay is not that bad
benefits are good
a lot of fun times
Technicien à la réception des échantillons
Technicien à la réception des échantillons (Former Employee) –  St.-Augustin, QC26 August 2016
Bon employeur permettant à de nouveaux étudiants d'entrée sur le marché du travail du bon pied! Après mon année chez exova, j'ai aquis de nouvelles connaissances qui seront utiles dans ma futur carrière.
Exova is paradise
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 June 2016
When Exova used to Body cote, it was a great place to work.Customers are valued and employees were well appreciated but after the Exova take over things started to go downhill.

To make the company look profitable high salary employees were terminated not considering that these employees had the talent and expertise.
The last 2 years turned out for the worse.Budget pinching was applied to everything from freezing employee salary, not paying employee overtime or delaying approval of project related purchases.

Exova is a great place to work ...if you are a bully.It is somewhat disheartening that employees who are annoying and proud are tolerated and commended while the quiet ones and true "back bone" are never noticed and yet they dump more work to these people just because of their work ethic.

So if you are either a bully or liked to be pushed around this place is paradise.
Pros
Big building looks cool when you brag where you work
Cons
Big building is falling apart and so is management
Not a great place to be now
manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 December 2015
Before take over by an investment company in 2008, Bodycote Testing Group (back then) was a very nice place to work. However, after take over all things changed to the worst. Ironically, the middle level management did not changed that much (people-wise), but their attitude did - most of them started caring only about their own skin without taking a slightest care about the employees. Company laid off about 40% of the work force to make it "more profitable" in a flash. I would work there again only if I would have no other choice.
Pros
at the beginning there was some space for professional development
Cons
middle management has changed to the worst case possible, do not care about people anymore, became so cheap even no X-mas party for employess in the last few years
cutting samples
Prep Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2015
cutting samples and sometimes reciving calls to change some of our thirties. Update inventory every day. keep places clean and save. teaching new employees and showing them the right way of doing things.
Pros
good salary
Cons
getting wet sometimes.
Un travail plaisant mais à amélioration
Technicien en environnement de l’air (Current Employee) –  Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville, QC18 August 2015
L'aspect le plus difficile de mon poste

-Mon travail demande de travailler de très longue heure dans des environnement peux commode (usines).

L'aspect le plus agréable de votre poste

-Être à l'air libre et voir du pays
Pros
Voyage à travers tout le Québec
Cons
Souvent sur la route
A great supportive team with awesome leaders/mentors.
LAB TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 July 2015
A typical day at Exova began with preforming safety inspections in my area to ensure a safe environment for myself and my co-workers. I was able to use time management and versatile skills by taking on many tasks each day. I also was given a position in shipping and receiving.

I studied and was tested on safety precautions and procedures in great detail that were required in order to work safely with chemicals and other materials. I was able to learn how to test the flash point of a variety of materials, test for plasticity and water retention in soils, and I would record the data correctly for the clients to receive. I was given the opportunity to learn how to use a variety of instruments in order to preform each step of my analysis'.

Both management and co-workers were great to be around and made the Exova team strong. The time that I was able to spend there (as a temporary seasonal position) was made memorable by all of the smiling faces, welcoming hands, and planned social events where everyone was included.

The most challenging part of the job was when I would test for plasticity and water retention in soil because as part of the procedure I would have to dry the samples in order to weigh the results. This made meeting deadlines difficult since I was unable to control when I would receive the sample from the client as well as how long the sample would take to dry. However I was able to make ends meet through putting in extra hours on weekends and working longer hours on weekdays.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that I had the opportunity to learn
  more... analysis on how to test soils and work with some great people. I enjoyed observing my mentors and learning the ins and outs of other types of analysis. I was even able to explore other departments of the lab (water, oil, and gas), and ask questions to acquire more knowledge. I was happy to leave with the thought of a potential return.  less
Pros
Excellent learning experience
Cons
Not enough interaction with clients
Environnement de travail agréable
Technicien en Chimie inorganique (Former Employee) –  Saint-Augustin, A811 November 2014
la journée , il faut consulter son ordinateur pour voir les taches de la journée. plusieurs opportunités de developpement, le management est basé sur la formation continuelle des agents.
le plus difficile c,est la precision et la constante concentration pour mieux effectuer les tests. Le plus agréable est la flexibilité des horaires.
Pros
Heures flexibles
Cons
Moins de communications entre les employés et les cadres
Excellent managament, friendly workers
Sr. Lab Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 June 2014
Prototype fabrication and testing, Material qualification, material sourcing, Part design
A good place of work for a fresh graduate
Instrument Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2014
Check all instruments if they ran ok the previous night. Check gas cylinders for level of gas pressure. If there is no issues, head to my computer. Log in into my account, check what samples are due, which ones are rush and normal. Organize and prioritize accordingly.
Most of my co-workers come in 30 minutes to one hour later. Get the informed of what needs to be done and which instruments were calibrated.
The hardest part of the job is when clients bring in a new sample and they are not quite sure what to look for.
When all instruments are running and there were no hitches.
Pros
Less supervision
Cons
Reporting order is often confusing
My job
Saw-cutter (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 February 2014
In typical day we did 150-200 days but I can see that the customers were going else where. We started to loose customers by the car load. I learn that the more customers we had the better we had was. I learn to go fast and do the job right. I really didn't like some of my co-works because they thought they were better then me when they had very little time to learn about my job. The hardest thing about my job is watching out for the cars coming and going. I just did not like that when I got a raise it was that the minimum wage up. I like to learn about all the new cars out there.
Pros
customers
Cons
pays
Interesting
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 July 2012
Great Place to work,
great people
learn something new everyday
good place to work
Senior NDE/Welding Inspector (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 June 2012
typical company of good benifits and good workplace, but management has no warning of the personnel when to shut down the operation.
Pros
100% benifits
Cons
no notice of layoff