Exel Employee Reviews in Canada

Great place to work, but micro-managed
Material Handler/Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABDecember 14, 2015
I loved working there. Great safety culture and good people to work with. However, the management was very particular about what they wanted in a rude way. All in all, wrecking the goof vibe
Friendly, operative, and development of the company.
Shipping and Receiving Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 9, 2015
Very friendly atmosphere and supportive team. Multitasking, dealing with carriers and organizing the orders on time are the lovable part of the job. Actively participating and hard working to the growth and development of the company.
INCOMPETANT MANAGEMENT
shipper (Former Employee) –  calgarySeptember 9, 2015
I found that the upper management in this warehouse doesn`t have a clue what they are doing and that they do not care about your safety as i was the ohs co chair and noted problems to management they did not care but instead decided that they had the right to terminate my co chair position that i was voted into
Cons
incompetant management that hide the truth
Poor management and training.
material handler (Former Employee) –  Kearl LakeAugust 20, 2015
Only got 1 hour training on each peice of MHE. If you are being treated poorly at work, do not go to management as they will simply fire you instead of actually dealing with the problem. If you feel unsafe at work, they will take as long as possible to find a solution. Upper management is impossible to get ahold of in Harrassment situations. The salary is not worth it.
Pros
okay salary, free coffee
Cons
harrassment not dealt with properly, long work hours, poor communication and work culture, no AC even though they said there is
very fast paced work environment
Heavy Packer (Former Employee) –  brampton, onOctober 20, 2015
very fast paced and micromanaged working environment. all about production and speed of production. must be able to work at a fast pace and keep intensity throughout the work period
Valuable work experience gained here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 17, 2015
I learned a lot. Made many good friends. The company had faith in me as someone who was capable of more. I was given responsibilities and training to feel comfortable and succeed. It was sad when the contract we were working on was lost but the life-long positives were immeasurable.
Pros
positive, management
Cons
pay increases could have been higher
Logistical Associate (Operations) (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, ABMay 26, 2015
I worked for Exel on their Kearl Lake Oilsands project, contracted by Imperial Oil.

Great experience, great people and a heck of a lot to learn.

Exel will give you the training you need, and show a great deal of care and respect for their associates.

Management (especially direct reports) were beyond excellent.
Pros
Great company atmosphere, room for training, saftey concious, great wage
Cons
site-jobs can be a bit tough on the home life
very busy environment, very productive
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Bolton, ONSeptember 28, 2015
tasking orders, picking as per my resume, contact transportation
receiving products and put away inventory
enjoyed working there
Productive Company focused on the advancement of their associates
Co-Packaging Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONAugust 2, 2015
Exel has given me nothing short of every opportunity to advance in whatever direction I wish to go.
Safety driven and look out for their employees best interest.
Efficient and Powerful Company
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 4, 2015
Exel is a world leader in the 3PL business sector, delivery effective and efficient solutions for the clients.
Exel also delivers competitive wages and salary benifits.
Working at Exel provides great life experiences and great coaching and mentoring experiences.
Great Workplace
Training QA Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONSeptember 17, 2014
Lots of ways to advance and good people.
I started from the bottom as a case selector, forklift operator, trainer, QA Admin and now I am a Training QA Supervisor.
The hardest part of my job is its never the same, there is always something new to learn or do.
I think the more enjoyable part of my job is helping in claims management. I love to help people and get them back to work.
Pros
my hours are flexible
Great staff, great management team, excellent customers.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 12, 2014
Exel offered a lot of opportunity for growth I started in scheduling then later cross trained to learn dispatch, receiving, and training new associates. My management team was one of the best to work with very positive motivating and knowledgeable. My co-workers and I worked well as a team and always met and exceeded our deadlines. The hardest part of the job was learning the delivery zones which later I created a sheet categorizing the zones to help with that learning curve. The most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity for growth and interacting with great customers.
Pros
exel offered a lot of opportunity for growth.
Cons
the company moved back to los angeles county.
Busy work environment will learn marketable skills
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 29, 2012
Past Salary Employee/ Supervisor Canada-not a good blend of work and family time. very demanding, and do not try to calculate an hourly wage if you factor in all the late nights, weekend work.You will be disappointed
However, you can really develope some marketable skills for when you leave. Canadian operations has very little growth so opportunities for advancment is very very limited.
Pros
will learn marketable skills at the clerical or other office level
Cons
very demanding when you are salary, long work days and weekend work in order to keep up with customer demand
was fast paced
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJune 5, 2013
A typical day started with a group work out and discussing any concerns in saftey and any up dates on the company, the hardest part of the job was putting away products as you had to be fast and you had to pack out products and put in boxes and some were pretty heavy. the most enjoyable was are the bbq's, also the town hall meetings where food was ordered for us wether it was pizza of chinese food or we would have a pot luck in which we had to pick a country and make the food from that country...it was interesting for sure..
Pros
the job was good and interesting
Cons
on your feet all day
Good Work Environment
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  mississauga, ontSeptember 5, 2012
Having worked in Exel for approximately two years, i must say that it is a decent company to work for. the employees are close knit and look out for each other and upper management is approachable. the work load is steady through out the month, but at months end, there is an influx, and one has to work at double the speed and sometimes extra hours (voluntarily) to meet and/ exceed the quota.
Pros
employees
Cons
little room for promotion
Enjoyable fast paced flexible job
Line Lead (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONApril 3, 2014
Day to day jobs varied as a line lead of a co-pack department.
I was also responsible for inventory control and computer data entry.
Management was flexible and fair, and the co-workers were phenomenal to work with.
The repetitive tasks were the hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable was when I was doing inventory control and data entry.
Pros
laid back atmosphere
Cons
working midnights
Inept Management and Horrible Work Culture and Environment - RUN
Demand Planner/Supply Chain Planner (Former Employee) –  Misssissauga, ONJanuary 2, 2013
This was definitely the worst place I ever worked for in my career. Hated going into work everyday with a boss who in any other company would be charged with sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior which HR was aware of. That what you get with seniority. My co-worker was his best friend, which made matters worse. Froze during the winter months with a malfunctioning A/C unit, which never turned off.

In my almost two years there 6 people left the company for better opportunites. They also have the worst sick leave policy of any company anywhere. I was seriously debating quitting before I was blessedly laid-off.
Pros
getting laid-off
Cons
management, coffee, co-workers, hr policies, non-professional
Management have no idea how to run warehouse
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, OntMay 18, 2013
Workload varies from a lot to a little or nothing. When workload is extreme they expect miracles for little pay. Hard to get permanent status. Co-workers ok. Supervisors clueless. Don't know how to organize or run a warehouse. A lot of repeated stock movement to new locations misplaced inventory.
Pros
free food sometimes
Cons
no airconditioning hot hot in summer. dusty
Okay place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONApril 12, 2015
Good employees but difficult managers. Receive poor training at first because of fear you will take their job. After you get to know everyone your workday becomes more enjoyable.
Competitive wages and great employees
Dock Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONSeptember 21, 2014
Good people and the wage is good especially for the area.

The front line supervisory staff has fluctuated from being very good to bad and in between over my years of employment.

However growth opportunities aren't as bountiful as it may seem there.

There is in my opinion they have a low ceiling.