Excel Society Employee Reviews

Secluded but enjoyable workplace
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 18, 2016
I enjoyed working at Excel Society. It taught me basic fundamental's, gave me a new outlook on life. I learned patience, team work, and creativity. The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out how to console a client and what triggered his/her emotion, especially when family members were involved. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing them succeed and be a part of the community with a smile on their face when they accomplished something. Usually I worked alone, as I was in private care but occasionally I was privileged to meet some co workers who did the same thing as me and we made a great team when it counted.
Pros
Private Care
Cons
Seclusion
good place to go for professional development courses and learning challenging behaviors but inconsistent management
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2016
Worked with clients on a daily basis and performed administrative tasks.

I learned how to manage challenging behaviors and how to manage the stress.

The management was inconsistent. They weren't fair to their staff when it came to scheduling or contracts would be changed without notice.

Coworkers were excellent and friendly.

Hardest part of my job was the management. Inconsistent again with their words and fair opportunities.

Most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new clients and working with diverse needs and seeing where my strengths and weaknesses were.
Pros
Helping clients succeed
Cons
inconsistent shifts and pay
Enjoyable work environment
Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 12, 2016
I was not at the job long. I enjoyed every task I was given. Sometimes I cooked and sometimes I just washed dishes. I enjoyed meeting people and helping people.
Great place to start a career and meet people from every walk of life
Security Guard and Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AbMay 12, 2015
Began working with Excel in 2009 as a security guard but was able to advance to a support worker. Great company with management that cared about employees and clients. Employees were from all over the world, so my own communication skills grew greatly. Friendly staff and management.
Pros
Staff social events, benefits, education
Terrible
Healthcare (Former Employee) –  EdmontonJuly 23, 2015
No room for advancement, low pay! Not considerate of staff situations and high turnover. Always short staff and overworked staff.
Pros
Cons
low pay, no room for advancement, high turnover
worst company i have ever worked for
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 12, 2015
NO WCB...... IF YOU GET HURT AT THIS JOB THEY WILL THROW YOU TO THE CURB....The mangement has no clue how to what the word "Safety means",if you refuse to do work because of No WCB they will write you up or fire you.This company is a joke, do not waste your time with this company.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Only as an absolute last resort
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 28, 2013
Worst company in the industry in Edmonton. The pay is the lowest at $13/hr. The quality of care is terrible and declining. Many of the day program staff don"t change incontinence pads until just before DATS arrives whether the client had an accident several hours earlier or not. Lazy and complacent are the best words to describe 99.9% of Excel's staff, especially management.
Pros
great place to catch up on your fb status updates because that's all anyone does there.
Cons
everything except the clients, they are wonderful
Overworked under paid
Full-Scope LPN (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 21, 2012
I found the clients at this facility amazing they taught me a lot about nursing. I feel that the constant situation of being short staffed played on the performance of the staff and how safe they were in their working environments. The hardest part of the job is when we had a sudden shortness of nurses and there was only 1 LPN to manage 105 bed count, It was difficult on the team as a whole. Most enjoyable part of the job is learning about many different diagnoses and the clients that had to live with these diagnoses.
Pros
always something to do
Cons
long hours, not always able to have a break on a 12 hour shift
Great place to begin a career
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 2, 2014
Although this non profit organization doesn't always compete with larger profit companies in terms of pay. This company has got some big heart. They have been around for the last 50 years providing advocacy for mental, physical and developmental disabilities as well as brain injuries.
Great coworkers and very enjoyable to see that you are making a difference. A typical day in this job is not very typical. There are many changes and challenges you may face but coworkers are willing to give their opinions and help you out. It is a great company that values teamwork.
This company is non profit but there are several sectors in one company hence depending on the field of interest there can be many opportunities that may arise.
Pros
great co-workers
Nooooo!!!!
full time (Former Employee) –  calgaryDecember 5, 2014
If you like to sit around and do nothing all day then this company is for you, hardly any supervision, massively disorganized, singles out and targets individuals that question any procedures that are in place.
Cons
to numerous to write
Calgary Alberta
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaNovember 13, 2012
Working with physically/mentally disabled clientele, teaching and guiding them to lead productive and proactive lives. Their humor is contagious. They are alot of fun to work with. They can be mentally draining at times.
Pros
working with the clients
pleasant environment
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  EdmontonFebruary 5, 2015
Good place to work just not what I want to pursue as a career.

Good opportunity available to staff.

The company is well managed from the top.
Fast paced facility
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 25, 2014
Challenging and stressful job but rewarding knowing I am a part of their progress physically and mentally.
productive and fun
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 2, 2014
company is good when it comes to policies. enjoyed working with the staff and fun to work with