Excel Society

Excel Society Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to begin a career
Community Support Worker (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 2, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Although this non profit organization doesn't always compete with larger profit companies in terms of pay. This company has got some big heart. They have been around for the last 50 years providing advocacy for mental, physical and developmental disabilities as well as brain injuries.
Great coworkers and very enjoyable to see that you are making a difference. – more... A typical day in this job is not very typical. There are many changes and challenges you may face but coworkers are willing to give their opinions and help you out. It is a great company that values teamwork.
This company is non profit but there are several sectors in one company hence depending on the field of interest there can be many opportunities that may arise. – less
Great Experience
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 5, 2014
While being employed through Excel Society - Grand Manor, they have given me plenty of positive experiences and opportunities. The work load is busy and sometimes hectic which keeps you on your toes but also gave me the opportunity to enhance my learning experiences once out of school.
Typical daily duties included medication administration, variety – more... of dressing changes, IM/ID injections, communicating with a number of multi-disciplinary team members (RN's, pharmacist, Physicians, Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Mental Health Therapists, etc), processing orders for physicians, nurse practitioners, and psychiatrists. Daily tasks also included being a supervisor to HCA and PCW staffing. In the past I have also been a preceptor for 4 NorQuest LPN students and am very thankful for those experiences.
I would have to say that the hardest but also most enjoyable part of the job was the clientele. Working with mental health patients is always challenging, the days consistently vary and no work shift is ever the same. Working with mental health has given me a different perspective of nursing for the fact that you can also work with people who don't look "physically" ill.
I am very grateful for the experiences and opportunities that Excel Society has provided me with. – less
Fast paced facility
Community Support Worker (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 25, 2014
Challenging and stressful job but rewarding knowing I am a part of their progress physically and mentally.
Only as an absolute last resort
Community Support Worker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 28, 2013
Pros: great place to catch up on your fb status updates because that's all anyone does there.
Cons: everything except the clients, they are wonderful
Worst company in the industry in Edmonton. The pay is the lowest at $13/hr. The quality of care is terrible and declining. Many of the day program staff don"t change incontinence pads until just before DATS arrives whether the client had an accident several hours earlier or not. Lazy and complacent are the best words to describe 99.9% of Excel's staff, – more... especially management. – less
Calgary Alberta
Community Support Worker (Former Employee), Calgary AlbertaNovember 13, 2012
Pros: working with the clients
Working with physically/mentally disabled clientele, teaching and guiding them to lead productive and proactive lives. Their humor is contagious. They are alot of fun to work with. They can be mentally draining at times.
Overworked under paid
Full-Scope LPN (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: always something to do
Cons: long hours, not always able to have a break on a 12 hour shift
I found the clients at this facility amazing they taught me a lot about nursing. I feel that the constant situation of being short staffed played on the performance of the staff and how safe they were in their working environments. The hardest part of the job is when we had a sudden shortness of nurses and there was only 1 LPN to manage 105 bed count, – more... It was difficult on the team as a whole. Most enjoyable part of the job is learning about many different diagnoses and the clients that had to live with these diagnoses. – less

July 4, 2013

This is so true. Had to deal with 23 people and no nurse. All cause the bosses were too cheap to hire. Wages sucked, no chance for time off Stay AWAY from this company they are terrible!