Essex County Council

Essex County Council Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
loved working here
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Basildon essex englandApril 7, 2014
Pros: flex time
Cons: pay
Most enjoyable was working with a great set of people

miss it very much
Fun workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee), Maldon, ENGMarch 25, 2014
In this job day by day had a different job, some days was stacking books and others was programming new books into the system. From this job I learned how to used the computer system and improved on my group work and communication skills. The co workers were understanding and helpful during my time there. I enjoyed the job as a whole but at times it – more... was hard work particularly as you are on your feet nearly all day. – less
Ok Place to Work
IS Apprentice (Former Employee), Chelmsford EssexOctober 20, 2013
Work Load was good went out and about within Essex to collect decommissioned IT Equipment, most of the people I worked with were very nice.
Youth Service
Team Leader (Current Employee), West EssexSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: academic development
Cons: service cutbacks
I was fortunate that Essex Youth Service invest in their employees and so I was able to gain a BA Hons Degree while working for them.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with some extreme behaviours from young people.
The best part of the job is working with young people.
I have worked with some amazing and talented colleagues.
Fun, motivating teams
Business Support Administrator (Current Employee), ChelmsfordSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: friendly people, lots of work
Cons: no variation of work, lots of data entry
I have taken on a very muddled messy contract which I know very little about and have been asked to organise it and bring it up to date, as many invoices are outstanding and no tracking in place. It is a very long winded process that I have had basic training on and have now been left to my own devices to sort it out. I love the team I work for, their – more... work is very interesting and beneficial. I am working a lot of overtime at present to get the contracts sorted out and get our suppliers paid on time. I have come across numerous issues and highlighted many issues which the Contracts Manager was very grateful for as it has saved the council a lot of money by spotting these now. The teams I work for are friendly and welcoming and very supportive.
The job I am in is an ongoing temp position as the council is going through a major change and is not hiring any perm staff at present. I do enjoy my work, but am finding the immense amount of data entry, due to it being 6 months out of date is draining.
I have enjoyed organising and resolving the mess, simplifying processes and generally improving the running of the contract and it seems our suppliers are much happier. I have enjoyed liaising with our suppliers and meeting their needs as well as building relations with them. – less
Corporate
Publications Designer and Interpretation Officer (Current Employee), Chelmsford, ENGSeptember 21, 2013
Designing corporate documents, meeting deadlines , working in a small team.
Great team, very friendly, share work load and supporting one another.

Hardest part of the job is the lack of tec support for MAC and slow connection to the server.

working hard having solving problems having a laugh and tea and biscuits
fun learning workplace
Apprenticeship (Former Employee), colchesterSeptember 12, 2013
it was a 8 week course were i learnt level 1 welding and fabrication
Great job awfull staff
Library Supervisor (Former Employee), Fryerns LibraryJuly 16, 2013
I loved being a supervisor it taught me how to be more responsible for other and more organised. Unfortunately the management were not honest about how long the contract would be for.
Within an external funded team no progression is available and a lot of restrictions apply
Tutor & Administrator (Current Employee), Chelmsford Library Learning CentreJuly 1, 2013
Pros: opportunity to work with a wide variety of people
Cons: very structured days
A typical day involves planning and providing tutor support in order to help learners successfully complete their EMS, IT and Employability online learndirect courses and achieve their personal learning goals and course outcomes.

The role involves an approximation of 80:20 split between administration and tutor support.

I have had the opportunity – more... to brush up on English and maths, learning new techniques and achieve my ITQ level 2.

The management structure is not the easiest to work out but the team/ co-workers all have individual strengths that can be pulled upon.

The hardest part of the job is the stress to meet targets and the disorganisation of management, not looking ahead and planning. The management are very reactive rather than proactive.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing learners succeed and achieve qualifications (especially those who have never achieved before). The success stories of those that have got back into work or gone on to further education because of the support provided is a wonderful feeling. – less
kitchen assitant
kitchen assitant (Current Employee), Manningtree, ENGJune 30, 2013
Pros: school hours
Cons: temperature of kitchen in hot weather
a very good employer with lots of different opportiunites for different stages,very flexible in working hours.they have given me a step back into the workplace without compermising my family life.i enjoy my job and seeing the children grow and getting to know them all
Innovative local authority with committed staff
Manager (Current Employee), ChelmsfordJune 12, 2013
The Council is a very interesting place to work with good opportunities to get involved in a range of challenging projects. All colleagues I have worked with have been committed and capable.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Systems and Safeguarding Officer (Current Employee), ChelmsfordApril 29, 2013
Pros: flexi time
My job role is very diverse, get to network with several schools, operators and the public, friendly and supportive team.
mostly enjoyable
senior ranger (Current Employee), essexApril 11, 2013
Pros: enjoyable working conditions
Cons: red tape, service cut backs
I have worked for Essex county council for 29 years ,I have mostly enjoyed my time with the council,due to public service cut backs the work satisfaction has gone down and the caring side of the council towards its employees has fallen.
management tend to have grown apart from the working aspect of the job due to being bogged down with red tape and – more... workloads.
Hardest part of job-working withing budgets and restrictions
best part of job- working outside in the countryside and job satisfaction when getting compliments from members of the public. – less
great team of peole that i worked with
library Manager (Current Employee), HarwichMarch 15, 2013
there was no typical day: working with the general public means that no two days are the same.
i enjoyed all aspecst of this job, from class visits to shelving.
Very reliable and very organized.
Care Assistant (Current Employee), Shernbroke, Waltham AbbeyFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: it is neccessary for free meals as we have to ecourage the customers and sit with them at the table
Cons: long hours are good when all activities are running smooth.
Due to being occupied with our work for the residents/customers, a day runs pretty first a lot is archived by both staff and customers.
I have yet learned more skills to communicate and providing 1:1 care for certain individuals.
The management team is very supportive and enable staff to mentain the good standards in the organization. Fellow staffs – more... are so helpfull and were very welcoming. They encourage team work and share new informantion.
The hardest part of the Job is when the weather is very bad that activities cannot take place and customers all seem bored and there is nothing much one can do taking in mind both staffs and customers' safety.
The most enjoyable part of the work is when a set goal for a customer has been reached and gained. – less
Friendly place to work
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee), Essex House, Colchester.February 8, 2013
Pros: good training and support
Cons: short term work contracts
In my role for the Blue Badge department I was an integral part of the team responsible for the process of issuing Blue Badges to members of the public.

My role was to make sure the paperwork was correctly filed away in Alphabetical order in the correct files for retrieval; I was also responsible for updating the information of clients on the in-house – more... Blue Badge Database, as well as scanning and uploading photographs onto the computer and editing them.

I was also responsible for checking the paperwork received by clients and checking the information they sent in matched the Blue Badge requirements, if not I was responsible for sending out Missing Information letters. – less
Fun workplace
Midday Assistant (Former Employee), ColchesterFebruary 4, 2013
Cons: term time
Working alongside children watching basic interaction and being able to stear the children into making well thought through choices. Friendly atmosphere within the work place, getting along with all my co-workers
nice people and place to work.
used to be school crossing patrol at writtle. (Former Employee), writtleDecember 20, 2012
Pros: managment easy to get on with
Cons: out in all weathers!
easy going boss,put herself out to help you where poss,always kept upto date with changes in department.
very good
volunterr (Former Employee), chelmsfordNovember 6, 2012
really enjoyed working for the councilin the summer holidays
challenging but rewarding
youth worker (Former Employee), canvey island essexAugust 15, 2012
challenging work most days,learned every young person has their own needs,some needs very small while others needs a lot more complex,i was a team leader and line manager in which i tried to be fair to all staff and young people at all times,other management wasn't always fair .i had a good team .hardest part of the job ,learning to switch off and not – more... take your work home .enjoyable part of the job helping young people. – less