Essex County Council

Essex County Council Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent, efficient, caring company
Senior Practitioner/ Social Worker (Former Employee), Chelmsford, ENGSeptember 21, 2014
Pros: each employee had laptops and so able to work from home when not
Cons: hot desking
Management was very approachable and fair. They trusted employees and provided the opportunity for training and learning. Colleagues helped each other and were very dedicated.
Enjoyed working with service users both adults and children. Enjoyed responsibilities entrusted in me.
Loved working for this company
Good Experience & Good On CV
Contract Analyst/Contract Manager (Current Employee), ChelmsfordAugust 29, 2014
Pros: flexible working hours
Cons: management
ECC is a good place to work and has its advantages i.e pensions and flexible working hours however i struggle with management. There is no quick process of getting things approved or making changes.

ECC are working towards a commercial way of working I find this a very lonely way of working especially with the hot desking.

ECC also are continuously – more... restructuring departments which causes alot of stress on employees and isn't great for job protection. It appears you have to fight for your job every 3 years. There's no job for life in the council anymore. – less
Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy
Business Support Administrator (Former Employee), Chelmsford, ENGJuly 17, 2014
The first 7 years - good. The last 3 years - awful. Constant restructuring (I had 6 line managers, and was in 5 different teams, and 4 different offices in one year). Career progression has become a joke. Performance reviews are assessed by people who work in a different building, and may never even have met you. Workloads were unrealistic, morale was – more... incredibly low - the most toxic atmosphere I've ever been in.

When people are actually committing suicide on the premises - it's time to get out. – less
productive and fun work place
Learning Support Assistant (Current Employee), essexJuly 15, 2014
supporting learners with disabilities to achieve educationally and socially.
Very hard working
Researcher (Former Employee), Chelmsford EssexJune 19, 2014
Pros: lunches payed for
Cons: breaks to short job is mentally challenging
Working on the national poet survey as a researcher.
I have learnt so much about people's lives and the effect care has on each individual person.
The hardest part of the job is listening to the stories from people who have a terminal illness.
The most enjoyable part of the job was taking to so many different people from all walks of life.
Rewarding and challenging place to work
Current Role - Corporate Operations Assistant (Current Employee), Essex County CouncilJune 2, 2014
I currently work within the Income Collection Team as a Corporate Operation Assistant. This involves providing a good customer service to Service Users and their representatives by phone and in writing with regard to the collection of Residential and Domiciliary care charges. I complete a monthly portfolio for the collection of outstanding debts so – more... I am used to dealing with irate and difficult customers. The phones are particularly busy when the invoices are sent out so I am experienced in working under considerable pressure. The hardest part of the job is prioritising my workload to ensure that all deadlines are met, particularly when the phones are busy. The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with cases where debts are not being paid due to fraud and it is particularly rewarding in bringing the people to justice that are undertaking the fraud. I am a friendly and approachable individual and am a good team player. – less
Productive workplace
Project Management Officer (Current Employee), Chelmsford, ENGMay 21, 2014
Pros: progression & development
Cons: political requirements often conflict with delivery
Essex County Council is undergoing a significant transformation, which aims to meet the savings demands of Central Government whilst also improving the overall customer experience.

A typical day at work is very busy, involving supporting the Customer Operations Programme, a high-profile Transformation of Customer Operations Services.

I have learned – more... how to manage stakeholders & individuals at a variety of levels effectively, as well as build on already excellent administrative skills.

Managers and coworkers are all committed, highly professional individuals, for whom its a pleasure to work with.

The hardest part of the role is managing all of the political & governance demands with delivery.

The most enjoyable part of the role is knowing that we are supporting changes which will improve the customer and Service User experience. – less
Reflective Case Practice While Supporting Families
Child Protection Social Worker (Former Employee), Basildon, EnglandApril 29, 2014
Working in England was a life changing experience. I gained an immense amount of experience with respects to social work, child protection and working with children and families that I know I will bring to any new position.
loved working here
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Basildon essex englandApril 7, 2014
Pros: flex time
Cons: pay
Most enjoyable was working with a great set of people

miss it very much
Fun workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee), Maldon, ENGMarch 25, 2014
In this job day by day had a different job, some days was stacking books and others was programming new books into the system. From this job I learned how to used the computer system and improved on my group work and communication skills. The co workers were understanding and helpful during my time there. I enjoyed the job as a whole but at times it – more... was hard work particularly as you are on your feet nearly all day. – less
Ok Place to Work
IS Apprentice (Former Employee), Chelmsford EssexOctober 20, 2013
Work Load was good went out and about within Essex to collect decommissioned IT Equipment, most of the people I worked with were very nice.
Youth Service
Team Leader (Current Employee), West EssexSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: academic development
Cons: service cutbacks
I was fortunate that Essex Youth Service invest in their employees and so I was able to gain a BA Hons Degree while working for them.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with some extreme behaviours from young people.
The best part of the job is working with young people.
I have worked with some amazing and talented colleagues.
Fun, motivating teams
Business Support Administrator (Current Employee), ChelmsfordSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: friendly people, lots of work
Cons: no variation of work, lots of data entry
I have taken on a very muddled messy contract which I know very little about and have been asked to organise it and bring it up to date, as many invoices are outstanding and no tracking in place. It is a very long winded process that I have had basic training on and have now been left to my own devices to sort it out. I love the team I work for, their – more... work is very interesting and beneficial. I am working a lot of overtime at present to get the contracts sorted out and get our suppliers paid on time. I have come across numerous issues and highlighted many issues which the Contracts Manager was very grateful for as it has saved the council a lot of money by spotting these now. The teams I work for are friendly and welcoming and very supportive.
The job I am in is an ongoing temp position as the council is going through a major change and is not hiring any perm staff at present. I do enjoy my work, but am finding the immense amount of data entry, due to it being 6 months out of date is draining.
I have enjoyed organising and resolving the mess, simplifying processes and generally improving the running of the contract and it seems our suppliers are much happier. I have enjoyed liaising with our suppliers and meeting their needs as well as building relations with them. – less
Corporate
Publications Designer and Interpretation Officer (Current Employee), Chelmsford, ENGSeptember 21, 2013
Designing corporate documents, meeting deadlines , working in a small team.
Great team, very friendly, share work load and supporting one another.

Hardest part of the job is the lack of tec support for MAC and slow connection to the server.

working hard having solving problems having a laugh and tea and biscuits
fun learning workplace
Apprenticeship (Former Employee), colchesterSeptember 12, 2013
it was a 8 week course were i learnt level 1 welding and fabrication
Great job awfull staff
Library Supervisor (Former Employee), Fryerns LibraryJuly 16, 2013
I loved being a supervisor it taught me how to be more responsible for other and more organised. Unfortunately the management were not honest about how long the contract would be for.
Within an external funded team no progression is available and a lot of restrictions apply
Tutor & Administrator (Current Employee), Chelmsford Library Learning CentreJuly 1, 2013
Pros: opportunity to work with a wide variety of people
Cons: very structured days
A typical day involves planning and providing tutor support in order to help learners successfully complete their EMS, IT and Employability online learndirect courses and achieve their personal learning goals and course outcomes.

The role involves an approximation of 80:20 split between administration and tutor support.

I have had the opportunity – more... to brush up on English and maths, learning new techniques and achieve my ITQ level 2.

The management structure is not the easiest to work out but the team/ co-workers all have individual strengths that can be pulled upon.

The hardest part of the job is the stress to meet targets and the disorganisation of management, not looking ahead and planning. The management are very reactive rather than proactive.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing learners succeed and achieve qualifications (especially those who have never achieved before). The success stories of those that have got back into work or gone on to further education because of the support provided is a wonderful feeling. – less
kitchen assitant
kitchen assitant (Current Employee), Manningtree, ENGJune 30, 2013
Pros: school hours
Cons: temperature of kitchen in hot weather
a very good employer with lots of different opportiunites for different stages,very flexible in working hours.they have given me a step back into the workplace without compermising my family life.i enjoy my job and seeing the children grow and getting to know them all
Innovative local authority with committed staff
Manager (Current Employee), ChelmsfordJune 12, 2013
The Council is a very interesting place to work with good opportunities to get involved in a range of challenging projects. All colleagues I have worked with have been committed and capable.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Systems and Safeguarding Officer (Current Employee), ChelmsfordApril 29, 2013
Pros: flexi time
My job role is very diverse, get to network with several schools, operators and the public, friendly and supportive team.