ERM Employee Reviews

Depending on where you work, it can be good or bad
Consultant (Former Employee) –  North America17 January 2017
Working for ERM is a mixed bag, and your experience will largely depend on who you have as a manager, and business unit you sit in. There are opportunities to be part of some pretty interesting projects. There are projects all over the world, ranging in scope from environmental to social to safety consulting.

The company does have a great attitude about flexibility in their hours and working from home. If you get what you need to get done, done, and the clients are happy, that's the primary concern. There is no mandate that says you have to be in the office from 9-5, or that you can't work from home if traffic is particularly bad, your kid is sick, or you have to wait for the cable guy.

Advancement and raises are another matter, and the path to victory is pretty narrow. Depending on your field, it is non-existent.

Management is out of touch and tone deaf (but where isn't it?), but the biggest concern is that it's weak and they don't have much control over the partners, who seem to do what they want for the most part.

Morale is pretty low coming off a tough year.

Job stability is not guaranteed, and everything is driven by billable hours.
Pros
Interesting projects, possibility of travel for work, flexible work arrangements
Cons
Management is weak, not much camaraderie, low advancement opportunity, uneven support of furthering education outside of ERM
Sweat shop with horrible management
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX17 December 2016
ERM has had a lot of good employees over the years but had is the key word. This is not a stable company to build a career with. The current leadership is not high quality, some of the worst managers I have seen.
Pros
Nice logo
Cons
high turnover, Partner-in-charge/PM model doen't work, lies about partnership opportunities, unethical handling of environmental issues
Gone down the drain
Scientist (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MD3 May 2016
This was a nice company to work for, but the management has made decisions that have been driving good employees away in droves. After a few rounds of knee jerk layoffs of some of their best employees, other employees are getting out at an astonishing rate.

Your work life will be about nothing other than maintaining the highest billability possible so the company can meet unrealistic profit expectations. While trying to find your own work to maintain that elusive billable goal, your rates will be inflated so project managers will cut your hours while still expecting you to do the same amount of work...thus lowering your billability through no fault of your own. Sick days will also lower your billability, as will the umpteen pointless meetings they will make you attend every week.

Unless you are a field person, don't expect to meet your billability goals with our working at least 50 hours a week. Also expect to work late into the night and over the weekends on projects for senior people who waited until the last minute to meet a deadline. Your personal life means nothing to them...also, they ate up all the budget for themselves so you can't bill all your time to the project.
Pros
Some great coworkers, interesting projects
Cons
Heartless corporation, people are numbers, management is inept
Zero job security
Junior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal23 March 2016
Zero job security, even for those consultants working on a permanent contract basis. Management is narrow minded and cannot see the bigger picture.
Pros
Good work space conditions
Cons
Poor management skill of senior employees
WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR
SAP EHS-EHSM Expert (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX4 June 2015
I used to work for this company. This is the WORST company to work for, the management is two face, they tell you all the great things FALSELY FABRICATED which will in a few months turn out to be a bunch of lies. There is NO JOB SECURITY, they will hire you for a specific project or role and once the project ends they will make up an excuse and fire you on the spot. The management has too many politics and issues among themselves.
I WILL NEVER WORK FOR ERM AGAIN AND WILL NEVER RECOMMEND ANYONE TO WORK HERE.
Pros
Any Pros will be temporary and false advertisement
Cons
Healthcare could take 2 months to start, Fire you on short notice when project ends
Fun work with good people
Ecologist (Former Employee) –  West Virginia and Lake Charles, LA19 September 2016
Field work was fun and challenging. The work provided me with good experience and I was able to learn from qualified people.
Vibrant Workplace
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Hong Kong9 January 2016
ERM offered an attractive remuneration and welfare package, with a 5-day work and 20 days of annual leave, which is quite exceptional in Hong Kong. The risk team has a vibrant culture with friendly co-workers holding parties and activities from time to time. As the technical writer of the team, I was responsible for drafting proposals, coordinating the input from local and oversea consultants. In addition, liaising with the client to keep track of the submitted opportunity was a major part of my duties so that requests from the client will be addressed in a swift manner. Sometimes handling multiple proposals within a tight deadline is the most challenging part as the associated coordination effort is enormous. Fortunately, a group of helpful colleagues have a propensity to monitor my workload so that a balanced work environment is maintained.
Good coworkers but poor leaders.
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX12 April 2015
Leadership is nonexistent. Some departments desperately need a management change.
Partners seem to promote people who are incompetent and arrogant. Most PM's are not very knowledgable in the their field of 'expertise' and play the blame game when review time comes around. Limited chance for advancement with current management. The only performance metrics that ERM seem to care about is sales targets, face to face meetings, and billing percentage. Those are hard to achieve if you are not writing proposals and denied direct contact with clients. Forget about proper training and mentoring. These important development activities are essentially nonexistent and when you can help, it's unappreciated.
Pros
Nice location. Most people are friendly.
Cons
Poor leaders, demoralizing, unfair, open office environment.
Tight time frames and tight budget
Environmental Scientist/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne/Geelong24 October 2015
Not a great place to learn and little advancement. Feedback and promotion is a joke. Long hrs and no overtime. Too top heavy and no work life balance- sign of the times.
Pros
a few good opportunities to work on big projects
Cons
not much room for advancement
productive place
Administrator/Analyst Receptionist II (Current Employee) –  Melville, NY10 September 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Great work environment and work life balance - no opportunity for advancement if you are in an administrative role.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MA18 December 2013
ERM is a great place to work if you are a technical person (i.e, consultant, geologist, etc) - if you are in an administrative role there is virtually no opportunity for advancement. Co-workers are absolutely the best.
Pros
Great work life balance.
Cons
No opportunity for advancement for administrative and some junior technical roles.
good
GGM (Former Employee) –  Chitradurga, Karnataka15 April 2016
Fanstatic company with Backwrd/forward Integrated with Captine resources, Enjoyed work as he of profit center, The yearly turnover 35-45 Million Dollar , entire opeartion is outsourced with Employee capacity of 400 Peoples
I want a company that I can help grow and learn from upper management.
Office Administrator/Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX16 June 2014
Personable, deadline-driven and self-starter Office Administrator/Executive Assistant experienced in working in a fast-paced environment. Solid team player who offers a positive and cooperative attitude.
Pros
Love my supervisor.
Cons
Work/life balance is very poor.
Great company
Administrative Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LA17 October 2012
For the most part, I enjoy working at ERM, however, I would like to pursue a career in my field of study. At this facility, being in the admin position, I am not granted the opportunity to advance into the field that I would like. Job advancement is there for those who have degrees in this line of work. My bachelors is in Psychology and I am pursuing my masters in Legal Studies. My coworkers are the sweetest and most lovely bunch of individuals I have ever met. From the first day I started, they have all been equally nice, helping, and full of support. The hardest part of my job is watching everyone around me work in their career while I am working a job and waiting on my opportunity to advance into my career. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am in a very friendly environment and I love the people that I work with. I have learned ample skills that will help me in future endeavors.
Pros
brown bags, on the job trainings, supportive coworkers
Accounts Payable Lead (Former Employee) –  Houston. Tx19 October 2015
Laid off due to cut backs, I did full cycle Accounts Payable. Three check runs per week, coding invoices, as well as entering them.
Pros
Coffe Cafe
Cons
Management Change
Productive and fun workplace
Export clerk (Current Employee) –  Buenos Aires, B27 January 2014
I arrive to the office at 9 o'clock. I have learnt about responsability and accomplishments. I always write down in a notebook and in my Outlook calendar my everyday duties. I usually check the bank account first, payments and colletcions of the day, I control shipments and departure/arrival dates and documents situations. Call to suppliers for the raw material and customers for payment. I talk to engineers to check when they will be finishing a project to invoice to customers in time. My co-workers are very nice, some of them are very young, some of them are very helpful. Environment is really nice. Of course we have differences but always in a respectful basis. The hardest part of the job is when projects/budgets are rejected by the customers/suppliers. The most enjoyable part of the job is when all projects and shipments go well and the customers and suppliers are known by us and we get shipment collections without problems.
Pros
Free lunches and trips
Cons
Travel on weekends
ERM is a good company to work for if you're a consultant.
Receprtionis/Admin Support (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WC24 April 2015
A regular day at work is very interactive and Involved.

I've learned alot and have been happy to work for ERM for the last year and four months.

The hardest part for me in my day or experience at ERM and the main reason I'd like to leave is. I dont like the being confound to my desk and cannot move to even go to the rest room without requesting permission to do so.

The most enjoyable part of my job is talking to the people around me.
Pros
Pro - Medical Aid
Cons
Con - Paid for 100% By me
Management unable to grasp large project planning
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ12 May 2014
Great co-workers caught in a changing culture resulting in a very high turn over rate.
Why consulting has a bad reputation
consultant (Former Employee) –  Western USA25 July 2012
A the location I worked, the company seems to tolerate if not condone less than professional work - doing more to curry to clients than to meet regulatory obligations or professional ethics. Disjointed managment, lack of cohensive values. The company has a reputation of hiring then firing personnel once they are done with them. Cyclical nature of consulting does not help either.
Pros
dynamic work environment
Cons
a company that pretends to care about their employees
Growing company, especially in SAP space
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA25 March 2015
The company is a very good one to work for. The Information Solutions groups is basically a separate company from the Environmental Consulting side, which is unfortunate. There seems to be a lot less internal competition and insecurity in the Environmental side. A lot of opportunity if you have SAP experience.

2.9