Environment Agency Employee Reviews

this was the job i wanted
Assistant Hydrogeologist, Environment Agency (Former Employee) –  BirminghamFebruary 8, 2016
However, it proved to be tedious i just couldn't settle into an office environment and it was away from Devon. i had never really worked a 37.5 hour week in one place and it disturbed me, my digs in Solihull were not good and i just didn't know how to occupy time in the office or leisure time. Its sad having sat all those exams and wrote projects at university. it might have worked if i was in the office in exeter but i have my doubts, i did work for the agency in exeter for two weeks prior to going to university and i did not do that well there either. great to use my degree and study maps and visit water boreholes.
Pros
using my degree
Cons
away from devon way out of my comfort zone
Always had something too do
Receptionist/Facilities officer (Former Employee) –  London, ENGJanuary 6, 2016
A typical day would start off by updating the electronic display board for various meetings each day/duty managers and fire wardens or first aiders, be booking meeting rooms and computers , collecting and sorting out the post also checking we have enough stationary and answering phone calls and email.
As a receptionist at the Environment Agency I was running two floors approximately 60 permanent staff and up to 200 agency employees/external personnel on a daily basis using facilities of hot desk, conference rooms and meeting rooms as well as quiet rooms. I would say the whole experience working at the Environment Agency was enjoyable as I got too be part of an important team it made me more confident as a person and more organised and made me realise I can do a important job.
NA
Assistant Scientist (Current Employee) –  Starcross, ENGNovember 10, 2015
The Company is great to work for with very bright people and great work for the environment. The company looks after after the staff doing everything possible to make sure they are ok health wise and comfort at work.
Good employer with attractive benefits
Senior Permitting Officer (Current Employee) –  SheffieldOctober 16, 2015
A good organisation to work for with challenging and varied job roles. Good benefits in terms of holiday allocation, pension contribution and flexible working.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Inflexible progression structure
Brilliant job!
Electro Fisher (Former Employee) –  Penrith, ENGMay 14, 2015
I was an electro fisher for the Environment Agency in Penrith. This was seasonal work which took me all over Cumbria and Northumbria. My main responsibility was to temporarily stun and capture fish, identify them, measure and record their length. This work was mostly carried out in freshwater river systems and concerned salmonids, however some cast netting was carried out in estuaries and along the coast. Other roles included gathering adipose fins for genetic sampling, fish rescues and kick samples. I had to frequently deal with the public and had to develop excellent identification skills. The work was physically demanding and required team work throughout. Additional duties included equipment maintenance and public relations. I also received first aid training during this time. The management was fantastic and I got on well with them. My co-workers were a joy to work with and we operated excellently as a team. The hardest part of my job was lifting and carrying heavy objects, but I still coped well and handled it better over time. The most enjoyable part of the job was handling the fish and measuring eels.
Pros
I got to work outside and hands on!
Cons
Only seasonal work.
Cracking Place to Work!
Regulatory Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Warrington, ENGMay 14, 2015
A company that has really looked after me from day 1. Had the support of my management to development into the successful leader I am today. Flexible working allows a great balance between work and home life. Met a lot of hard working, inspirational peoplke who all have a real passion for environmental protection.
Pros
Flexi-Time, Cycle to Work Scheme, Focus on Development
Excellent Support and diverse career opportunities
Navigation Officer, (Current Employee) –  ENGMarch 24, 2015
The environment Agency provides excellent support to its employees to further their career development. There are also many benefits to the job ranging from a generous pension scheme to money off eye care. As an employee I feel well looked after knowing the coaching service and sick leave is there if I need it. At 11,000 strong the EA offers a wide range of positions, and progression is very much encouraged. To function best as an organisation the EA offers up to three days per year to spend time with other departments gaining an understanding of what they do to help us work together as one unit. This is a fantastic example of how the EA encourages staff progression and organisation effectiveness at the same time.
A typical day at work involves undertaking multiple practicable jobs to maintain our sites, liaising with he public on all river concerns, and continued training on managing river levels.
Staff are friendly and reliable.
Pros
I manage my own time
Cons
Working on standby on a saturday night
professional, passionate and committed to the environment.
Customer & Engagement Specialist WMids (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENGJanuary 17, 2015
Very friendly working culture, very good at personal development. Very professional company. Good work life balance, very committed to the environment through its pension scheme, charity work and the ethos it promotes.Very good employer.
Pros
flexible working
Cons
severe weather events means you need to be on call during incidents
Public body
Operations Manager Environment Agency (Former Employee) –  BangorJune 7, 2014
worked here for 5 years, while I enjoyed the job and dealing with the public, I some times found it very fustrating, the general mentality of publice bodies. The job was very rewarding and making a differance in peoples lives through flood prevention was amazing.
Pros
rewarding outcomes
Cons
public body
Important environmental work
Environment Protection Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spalding, ENGApril 1, 2014
usually taking samples on a pre planned route to ensure compliance and monitoring work was fulfilled, not a hard job but poorly paid but i enjoyed working outside.
Pros
out and about
Cons
poor pay
Excellent place to work with great underpaid and undervalued staff.
WASTE REGULATORYSPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENGMarch 27, 2014
The Environment Agency carries out a number of functions to safeguard the environment in which we live. The staff work very hard in very difficult commercial, cultural and personal conditions. However most employees come to work with a smile and a great attitude in adversity. The support regimes in place are second to none. However the value of the EA is being eroded by inaccurate publicity and Government ineptitude.
Pros
great welfare culture, good social scene. excellent working conditions.
Cons
poor financial rewards, undervalued staff.
Purchase order/ Compliance
Purchase Order Team Member (Former Employee) –  PeterboroughJanuary 31, 2014
Purchase Order Team Member daily role:
Processing of purchase requisitions up to £10,000
Contacting purchase raisers with queries regarding requestions
Use of Oracle

Compliance team member daily role:
Auditing of randomly selected expense requests
Input information onto oracle system
Pros
excellent management and recognition for hard work, always felt part of a team and general work ethic was brilliant.
Cons
compliance role was very tedious, there was no room for progression in either role.
good place
Teem Supervisor (Former Employee) –  abu dhabiJanuary 19, 2014
I see that the time i spend on it was good in many point the main one number of multitasking responsibly
Friendly place to work, and nice offce location
Development & Flood Risk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester, ENGOctober 8, 2013
This contract covered populating a multi-regional asset database, collecting and verifying data from various sources for presentation in a web-based application. Extracting data from various sources. This included digital data and paper based records, plus site visits to collect missing information. Verifying, removing duplicates and collating the extracted data. Formatting data for correct insertion into the database behind the intranet web access. Setting up controls to give each team the appropriate level of access to the information. Set up user training sessions and provide one to one follow up advice as required.
Excellent opportunity to be independent and lead a project, and involved field trips to collect data which was an added bonus.
Pros
field trips around majority of hampshire
Forward thinking and friendly environment
Assistant Procurement Officer (Current Employee) –  Bristol, ENGAugust 5, 2013
Great, exciting office full of friendly, helpful individuals who are dedicated to their role and the environment.
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Starcross, ENGAugust 3, 2013
.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Cons
Nice people to work with very friendly
Business Support Officer (Current Employee) –  WarringtonMay 14, 2013
Typical day is answering the telephone, email queries, inputting contracts onto the in house system, adhoc duties from the Project Managers, dealing with invoices. Learned different systems to use. Management are fair. Made some really good friends from co-workers. The job isnt that hard can just sometimes be a bit mundane.
Pros
paid well, flexible
Cons
been a temp for nearly 4 years and still dont have a permanent job
I was on a temporary contract so not full employee
Regional Field Intelligence Officer (Former Employee) –  BridgwaterFebruary 28, 2013
Good company with good people . Weak and indecisive management was evident. .
Pros
good to work for on a contract
Cons
would not consider working for them as a career
lovely work place
relief lockeeper (Current Employee) –  southeast several locationsDecember 10, 2012
every day is different on the river,giving boaters a safe passage through locks working on your own 12-14 hrs a day or working in small teams hardest part of the job is winter as you are mostly on call with water levels as flood defence is the main part of my job the most satisfying part has got to be a new boaters expression when you show them your there to help
Pros
mileage / and travel time is payed

4.3