Enterprise Rent-A-Car

3K reviews

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
BEST Employer BY FAR!!! Very Fun and Easy Going Place!
Car Detailer (Former Employee), Cambridge OntarioJune 12, 2014
Pros: parties, frequent raise opportunities, easy going, great staff, driving different types of vehicles
Cons: dirty/dry hands, gross things in vehicles
Best place by FAR I have been employed! The staff are great, best co workers ever! The company appreciates their staff. They have get together and appreciation days where you just meet with your co workers and have fun! Advancement is encouraged! They literally try to convince you to move up! It's not everyday you find a company who promotes advancement.
Management was quite good but could have been a little more detailed as to the special terminology they use when training new employees.

A typical day at work for me as a car detailer was to arrive 1/2 hour early, start prepping the cars that came in overnight for new customers. Consisted of driving the car to the garage for a wash, cleaning inside, using car freshener etc. Then if needed, refueling and other odd jobs like picking up cars from service places etc. I also loved the job because instead of cleaning, cleaning, cleaning cars all day, they also sent me on errands like picking up and dropping off customers! That was best part because you always got to drive a different vehicle!

My least favorite part about the job was the fact your hands become dry, cracked and very sore! I recommend hand cream throughout the day! And the fact that some people leave the worst messes in the vehicles! You wouldn't believe what you can find in the back seat or in the trunk. But, they allow frequent breaks whenever you need it which is great especially because cleaning cars when the place is at peak hours can be tough. You have to work very fast!
Now, The best part about this job was driving all the new cars! They always have the current – more... years vehicles so you get to see all the newest upgrades! And the fact that they evaluate you after 3 months and give you a chance at a raise! And not a small raise either, mind you.

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend working here! Best company by FAR!
You ROCK Enterprise! :) – less
fast paced, customer service business focusing on employee development, sales and growth
Branch Rental Manager (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 2, 2016
With Enterprise Rent-a-Car we concentrate on four main points on a daily Basis. First and foremost is Customer Service. Our main goal is to reach as many customers as possible to create a loyal customer base. Second, we concentrate heavily on the development of our employees. By doing so, we are teaching our employees the fundamentals of our business and giving them the tools to not only help strengthen themselves, but also help strengthen the company as a whole. By taking care of our customers and our employees we will be able to positively effect the remaining two core areas of our business, growth and profits.

By paying attention to these four core areas (customers, employees, growth and profits) we are a well fucntioning and profitable business where teamwork rules. Teamwork and trust are the staples that hold together the four core areas of the business. Without teamwork, we would not be successful as no one person can run a business alone, without the support and help of their peers.

In order to accomplish all of this, there is one key rule, make work fun! Concentrate on making coming in to the workplace in the morning an enjoyable experience. As a leader, I need to set the tone and provide the energy for the team as we prepare for each and every day. Setting goals and being continuously and aggressively competitive amongst each other, in a respectful way of course, is an important way of ensuring we are creating the energy within the team necessary to be successful. As a leader, always make sure you are recognizing and celebrating success, but also – more... coaching and guiding where need be!

Working for this company has been so incredibly important to my professional development, it has created a work ethic that can't be beat, a desire to succeed that is second to none. I can bring these very same character traits to your business. I can help you win, and together, along with the team, we can be successful! – less
Practically slave drivers
Management Trainee (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABOctober 16, 2013
Pros: free lunch at meetings
Cons: managers are too personal, accountablilty, work/life balance, micromanaging, very strict dress code, unfair advancement requirements
Enterprise has too many problems to mention, but by far the worst are the fact they expect 50+ hours a week minimum. They expect this because the "Guaranteed minimum wage" is 40k a year but most of your money is made in overtime since they only pay 14$ an hour. Also this is a thing they do not explain well during the interview process and you will not realize till roughly your second week.

Other problems include job security (if your numbers are too low, or your having a bad day and you are a little off on the dress code your job is at risk), Management micromanaging (area managers make most of the decisions regarding the branch but often only visit one day a month), Accountability ( the management system is designed that the area manager make 90% of decisions regarding branch development but branch managers hold all the accountability if the decision leads to negative growth whereas if it produces positive growth they get promoted), Advancement requirements (the advancement requirements/promotions are not based on ability but purely on branch numbers eg. there was a big hail storm in Calgary and huge demand for rentals, numbers went up and a dozen people got management promotions because of the high numbers not because they were the best people), and managers will call you after hours.
OKAY if you're just out of school but don't stay long - itll suck the life force out of you
MANAGEMENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee), OntarioDecember 29, 2015
Pros: they buy you drinks sometimes, you get to drive nice cars
Cons: LONG HOURS, suit circle jerk, hard for women to move up
It was okay for like three months... I stayed for over a year. Long long long hours, that's what everyone complains about there. I remember being up at like 6 am and not getting home until 8 pm everynight. It's a lot of corporate B.S... a lot of dudes in suits that talk about why they are so amazing and why they should be promoted.

It's a lot of driving, for a whole year I drove customers around, picked them up at their house, dealt with awful miserable people all day (these people just got into an accident and you're selling them expensive insurance... and sometimes you don't have the right car for them).

It's a fun job that got me a closet full of suits and experience working in an actual career job.... but there is a reason that no one behind the desks are over 30. Everyone leaves.... or they will fire you for no reason (they are allowed to do this because they give you a pay-out).

This job also isn't the greatest for women. It's hard for women to move up. In Southwestern Ontario I'm not sure there was even a female who was an area manager.

Anyways. They do take you out and buy you drinks a lot, which is nice :).
Good people, great experience; No work life balance, mediocre pay for hours worked
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), GTA, ONApril 5, 2015
Pros: Many great people, good experience
Cons: Extremely long hours, low pay for level of contribution
Pros: Enterprise Rent-A-Car provides great experience to a person fresh out of University looking for an entry-level sales job with available internal advancement. You learn how to market local accounts and sell the available products as well as the brand, while gaining valuable experience that allows you to advance your career into management. The company really believes in customer service and every branch and individual is rated off of your customer service rating.

Cons: Head office management preaches a 'work-life balance' however there is absolutely no such thing at Enterprise. The expected work day is 7AM to 6PM and, once in management, you are often expected to not take lunch (contrary to what is said at Head Office). The culture at the branch is diluted by individuals with a high school mentality and there is a lot of speaking negatively about people behind their back. The company profits billions of dollars per year, while many people in the lower rungs on the front line are severely under paid for their contribution to the business.
Good launch to a business career
Branch Manager (Former Employee), southern ontarioJuly 28, 2015
Pros: great business training
Cons: long hours, no work life balance
If you are looking to get a good understanding of everything business this is the job for you. You start in the same position as everyone else and move through the ranks as long as you have strong sales and customer service skills. They spend the time to help you develop your business acumen, and you can move up the ranks quite quickly if the conditions are right. The only downfall is that this is a position for new graduates or people without families. The hours are long once you get to management level (60+ hours/week) and you have to sacrifice your personal life for this job. If you are young, hungry to advance, and dedicated to working hard, this job is perfect for you. As you get older, and take on more responsibility in your personal life (marriage, kids, ect.) you will find that you must choose between your career and your personal life. This job does put a lot of strain on your personal relationships as you are never home to help build them and make them stronger. My advice to anyone considering this position is to get in young, learn as much as possible, and get out before you lose your personal life.
Fast Placed Environment, No time for Learning
Management Trainee (Current Employee), North Vancouver, BCApril 14, 2015
Pros: okay compensation, going outside
Cons: long hours, weekends and overtime, upset customers
Enterprise is a company that provides great opportunities, if you are lucky enough to work at a branch that is well staffed enough to be able to take the time to train you. Although I was trained on many things, my desire to learn more could literally never be satisfied because I spent most of my time driving around moving cars or picking up customers. The personal management style did not work for me, although it did promote a high degree of professionalism. The hardest part of the job was the constant unnecessary scrutiny from my manager. I truly worked the hardest there, and was the first person in every morning and last one to leave every night. I would take full responsibility for the office, over others who had worked their longer than me. Yet I rarely received any praise from my colleagues or manager but would be made to feel personally guilty about slippery slope-type repercussions for small errors. The best part of the day was resolving and preventing conflicts with every customer who came into the office.
Busy, Fun, Fast paced customer related environment.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), EdmontonSeptember 18, 2013
Pros: team building events
Cons: long hours
A Typical day at work involves Managing the floor, Making sure every customer is helped in a timely friendly fashion. Leading my team to drive customer services and profitability of the branch. This involved team building, training, and organizing in-house contests to make work fun and build friendly competitiveness between other staff at the branch, relating to up-sells.

I've learned a lot of things working with enterprise. I've had lots of opportunity to hone my customer services skills. As well as leading a team of people running a successful branch. This includes training, developing and team building.

The most enjoyable part of the job was probably the people who I get to work with.

The hardest part about the job is the work life balance. Working with Enterprise involves putting in a lot of hours. However since my latest promotion, I now work an average of 11-12 hours a day, sometimes without taking a lunch. This leaves me drained at the end of the day and I find i'm neglecting other aspects of my life.
Great Learning Experience
Management Assistant (Former Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 8, 2015
Pros: Fun Co-Workers, Driving Around, Choice Time Days
Cons: Long Hours, Low $ Amount of Benefits, Deal With Unpleasant People, Cleaning Cars In A Suit
The job can be really fun at times, you drive around in new cars a lot and your colleagues can be a hoot to work with. You can learn so much about how a business is operated and learn skills in sales and motivating. Mostly everyone is young and the people are nice.

However you are likely to burn out after awhile. You deal with a lot of unpleasant people and business accounts. Days are extremely long and you may not get a break. Benefits can be much better but they do give you a decent amount of vacation/personal days. You must be decked out in a suit and shoes and you will have to clean quite a bit of cars in that clothing. The computer software runs like your computer did back in 2001. Job has it's good days and bad days and it all depends where you are located and which manager you have.

Great working experience and great for those people who have no interests or hobbies outside of work.
Great starter job to your career
Assistant Manager, Management Assistant (Current Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 10, 2013
Pros: sales incentives (gift cards), branch lunches
Cons: long business day (730am-615pm), slow turnover for promotion
The great thing you get from working at Enterprise is how to manage your time and multi task. Enterprise really does give you the training to be a successful manager and how to run your own store. The typical day involves all parts of the business. From selling, accounts recievable, phones, and marketing are just some of the things you could do before lunch. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet a bunch of different customers in a short amount of time. You get to know these people on a personal level very quick and then its our turn to take it over and make sure they recieve the best customer service possible. The main thing I have learned working here is customer service. Providing great customer service has shown me that it can grow my business, make myself more money and have customers turn into friends.
Challenging and fulfilling company to work for
Software Engineer (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 10, 2012
Pros: good job stability, excellent management, lots of opportunities to grow
Cons: dress code that hasn't seem to change since the 80s
Enterprise was my first job out of University, and I consider myself fortunate to be employed by them. The teamwork within the IT department was excellent, with each team member never hesitating to help out one another.

Enterprise had a "do it right" culture, preferring to get solutions working correctly rather than hitting deadlines, and the quality shows up in the final products.

Management, while a little top-heavy, is effective in steering their respective teams in the right direction and accounting for each of their team members unique strengths.

Enterprise has also been excellent as setting career paths and goals for their employees, offering good opportunity for advancement and a good sense of job stability.
Customer service based industry
Customer Service Representative and Shuttle Driver (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 2, 2015
Pros: The repeat customers who remember you and what you talked about the last time they saw you
Cons: the slower times in the branch when nothing is happening, I like to be busy
I pick up customers from our dealerships, body shops or our customers homes and bring them to our rental branch to get them a rental vehicle. I will explain the rental process to them so they are ready to go and know what to expect. Often times our customers have never rented a car before or are repeat customers that I have established a relationship with. We have a fun sales culture in the branch which allows everyone to get a long. The hardest part of the job is the customers who take out their frustrations on you. The best part of the job is the customers who appreciate the extra things you do for them.
Not the best
Customer Assistance Representative (Former Employee), Regina, SKMarch 16, 2014
Pros: advancement, benefits, sales training
Cons: negative work environment, pressure to maintain numbers, high turnover, hostile coworkers due to advancement
Enterprise is a good company for people looking to advance. It is busy, and fast paced. Management cares more about numbers than employees though since their bonus is based on this. The pay is not great compared to other rental companies that make commission. At Enterprise you make commission for your managers and this puts a huge pressure on sales. Customer satisfaction is a key point though and I felt this was a positive. As I said you can advance, but you need to be in the "club" in order to do so. Overall, I did not enjoy this job because of the enormous amount of performance pressure with very little return for myself as I was not seeking advancement.
Enterprise Rent a Car Review
Service Agent (Current Employee), Regina, SKMarch 1, 2015
Pros: salary, co-workers, working at the airport, driving new vehicles, and gaining overtime
Cons: not damaging vehicles
I started working at Enterprise in August 2014. I've been working mostly 5/6 days a week since I've started. My job duties are to check over cars, trucks, suvs and vans for damage after they have been returned, I drive the vehicles back and forth to and from car dealerships or body shops. I take the vehicles into the wash bay to clean. I've learnt to work at a fast pace and multi tasking is a huge part of the job. I enjoy working with the people I do and it is a good environment to work in after all. I haven't had any difficulties with the job and my most enjoyable part is to interact with those around me and work at a fast pace so that the day goes by faster and realizing that I accomplished a lot by the end of the day.
Not an Ideal Position for Professionals Pursing a New or Second Career
Mangement Trainee Program (Former Employee), LondonAugust 9, 2012
Pros: friendly
Cons: long hours, low pay, do not support work/life balance, micro-managing
For enterprise Canada/Management Trainee program, their starting wage is $12.00 an hour at 49 hours per week. Your performance is measured based on sales. I feel this position is ideal for students or those just starting out in the work force only and not for professionals pursuing a new or second career. Not what I had expected at all when I went for an interview. I actually thought it would be a "Management Trainee Program" with in-class and on the job direct training for management, but it's just another name they've used for "Sales Agent". The staff is friendly but they do not support work/life balance and only view you as a $ or at least measure you only on your sales potential.
Productive and great work place to kick start your business career
Senior Customer Associate Representative (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: culture, management, food
Cons: long hours
* Every day is different. Enterprise will make you work hard and reward you for the work you put in. Corporate gala's , branch lunches and coffee runs to keep you energized. On down time they train and on high time you see the fruits of your labor recognized as you blaze away the day.

*Management is amazing-- all staff is treated with respect and management is willing to make everything work to ensure employee happiness and retention.

*Hardest part of the job--> Long hours and lot of time required in. Social life will be hit hard but you trade experience for your youth.

Final statement-- Do it and leave unless you progress fast, then enjoy the ride
DON'T DO IT
Management trainee (Current Employee), CalgaryMarch 19, 2014
Pros: zero
Cons: everything
96 hours every two weeks for full time MTs full pay cheque is 1250... If you are stuck at a bad branch you do everything from cleaning cars in your suit or delivering a car with no driver behind you so you wait outside during winter.. Don't waste your time they feed you the lies of promotions all day everyday.. There's mts in my branch that's been here for 4 years.( they say you can be branch manager in 3 1/2) if your "sales" number is not above average you will never make it anywhere and if you don't beg customers for shouts you'll never get noticed by upper management. Overworked under paid if you make assistant manager hours and stress is 10x more and pay is not worth the jump

The only upside is SOME of the people you interact with daily but it's only some
Fast paced work environment, everyone has fun there.
Service Agent (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 30, 2014
Pros: staff parties
Cons: strong physical demand
A typical day at work is gassing up vehicles, taking them through the car wash, clean the inside of the vehicle and drive them up to the airport to get rented out by customers. I learned a lot more about cars, coming into the job I knew very little. Management is awesome, they know how to treat their employees with care and respect and are great motivators. The co-workers are great, everyone is very friendly, hard-working and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is the physical aspect, it can get pretty exhausting day after day. The most enjoyable part of the job is listening to music and making the most out of the day with your coworkers.
A Fun and Friendly Atmosphere Where Teamwork Rules.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Ajax, OntarioJanuary 4, 2012
Pros: concrete advancement structure, excellent training, first class experience.
Cons: long days, tough on work clothes (washing cars), consistent understaffing and a high turnover rate.
I enjoyed my time with Enterprise Rent-A-Car very much. While I advanced throughout the company, my management was always there to support me or answer any questions that I may have had. The training I received was first class and the drive to succeed permeates through the company. Unfortunately, I had to leave due to my family situation, but I would still recommend Enterprise to any one. You work hard (50-60 hours a week sometimes) but you play hard (management knows how to reward their employees).
General office work. Productive most days/
Clean vehicle exterior by hand (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioFebruary 11, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of hard work, that was very team oriented. Most co-workers were easy to get along with. Management was supportive, easy to talk and relate to. Doing field work and interacting with the customers was the most enjoyable part of the job for me. Keeping myself busy, occupied and or motivated during slow hours was the hardest part of the job. I got a better understanding of what it is like be in the corporate field. I learned how much dedication it takes to build and run a business. Working at Enterprise has given me the motivation and confidence to want to start my own business. It also helped me improve my social and customer service skills.
Headquarters