Ensign Energy Employee Reviews in Canada

Poor work environment
administrative (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABJanuary 22, 2016
You don't get too comfortable at Ensign because you don't know from one day to the next if you have a job. Management pretend to listen to concerns but you are pretty much left on your own. One thing I did practice a lot there was how to work independently.
Good money, steady work
Gas Production Tester (Night-Shift Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 30, 2015
Company has changed quite a bit in the past year. Not sure how things will fit in the coming couple years.

But in the past good company to work for overall. Like any oilfield job there's the usual good and bad. They work reasonably well with your schedule and any emergencies can often get you out without too much delay. Good equipment to work with and often kept in good repair so not too much grief while on lease. Turnover means often working with new people but those who stick around are mostly good workers who know their stuff, and the bad eggs get chucked in due time. A good amount of camp work is a huge bonus, and the camps are usually pretty nice. Frequent opportunity to advance if you're showing a willingness to learn, improve, and work well as a team with crews/consultants/management. Running your own truck is encouraged over using company truck, so extra pay with good kilometers traveled. And you don't need to CVIP as a shop hand will often use company truck to tow.
Pros
Run own truck. Room to advance. Good Equipment. Good Pay. Work with your schedule with good notice.
Cons
Hours (day rate but can go far beyond 12hrs), Short notice (usually oil companies fault but can be working long beyond 24hrs without sleep), unpredictable
Productive and fun
QA Analyst Tester (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 16, 2016
Great, Fun work, Many activities to conduct with Coworkers. Very Loyal company to their long term employees. I would recommended to my friends.
A company who cares about their employees
Driller (Current Employee) –  Nisku, ABMarch 3, 2016
They do what they can to keep their guys busy in the slow times. Took me on from the international side and put me to work in the Canadian division without hesitation
long hours but worth wild job
oil field technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABFebruary 5, 2016
if your single or have a very understanding love one its the job for you. 12 hour shifts. a lot of hands on work experience.
Pros
consistent work
Cons
long periods away from society
good company
Floor-hand (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 10, 2015
Big company but if you find a good rig you would love to work at this company. I cant say anything bad about the company I got paid on time and never had problem with the company.
Pros
pay good
Cons
its a rig job so its cold
Company going through big changes
Payroll administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABFebruary 25, 2014
-Typical day at work was a hourly payroll, bi weekly routine. I would upload the most recent time sheets from the various rigs and after going through them, contact various departments for approvals or changes.
-I learned: manual coding for payroll hours, salary deductions and credit programs and I gained a lot of overall experience with payroll programs.
-The management was fairly hands off but made themselves very available with their time to help facilitate. Were especially good with new employees and the early learning process.
-My coworkers were the best part until our department saw close to 70% leave within only a couple months.
-I found the hardest part to be fighting the daily grind over 2 years. Often most of my duties hadn't changed at all, which I didn't mind, just some days tended to drag on.
-Due to our department fluctuating heavily with the drilling seasons, we brought in a lot of temp help to ease the burden. Helping the learning process by being a senior team member enabled me to be in a complimentary or support role which is one that I find enjoyably because it adds more of a human element into my daily routine.
Pros
accessable (downtown), great benifits, aproachable management, tight team (still friends), good learning enviroment
Cons
below industry wages, sloppy handling of personal info (sin #, ect), understaffed, poor handling of death within the department
Great company
Roughneck (Current Employee) –  Oxbow, SKNovember 28, 2012
easy going,
safe work environment
freindly staff
salary is above standard
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Ensign is an equal opportunity employer that values employees contribution big or small.
Project Coordinator - Engineering (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABMarch 5, 2015
My co-workers are easy to work with and very respectful. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I visit a rig and meet the hardest working people in the industry and hear their experience in the field.
Pros
a very exciting place to work.
Cons
i just wish the company provides recreational allowance to it's employees
Not a very nice place to work, you are just a number
Senior Project Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABFebruary 3, 2014
Could not wait for it to be over
Learned Rig Building, Purchasing, Management, equipment, Maintenance
Some were good to work with
Hardest part of Job was being there
When 4:30 came around
Pros
free lunches
Cons
management
Fast paced, team dedication.
Motorhand (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 12, 2013
I enjoy working in an environment where team dedication is a large part of the job, learning correct techniques to accomplish any task and the safety fundamentals of doing such prove to be rewarding upon completion. A typical 12 hour day would consist of helping each member of the crew with daily routines from the start of the well to the completion of the well in timely and efficient manner while strictly adhering to safety. For myself the hardest part of my job was leaving my family for extended periods of time, while at the end of the day it was rewarding to feel that a hard honest days work was done and no one was injured.
millwright apprentice
Millwright apprentice for drilling rigs (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABFebruary 12, 2015
excellent company! Always felt useful, learned lots on the job and really great co-workers! Willing to train you and bosses are real helpful and nice to you, just return to them the same respect they give to you.
Safe profesional company
Tractor Backhoe Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 8, 2013
Equipment is recent and mostly paving and siteworks.overal a good place to work .
Pros
l.o.a
Cons
long hours and away from home
HR assistant
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABNovember 19, 2014
• Handle coverall orders for all of Alberta
• New hire packages and information
• Filing
• Data entry
• Safety point awards
Pros
good people and relaxed working environment
Cons
hireing freeze
good co-workers terrible management
Roughneck (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 14, 2014
12 hour shifts 21/7 rotations 1 week of night then 1 week of days.
learned how to work on rigs.
the hardest part was heavy lifting and extreme cold temperatures
Real cold was the only thing. 20-
Derrickhand (Former Employee) –  Alberta CanadaAugust 27, 2014
Rigging up and down oil pumps that needed repair. Rig up rig. Pull rods out of hole replace pump and run rods back in a move to the next well
Pros
good money
Cons
no breaks, cold weather
Assistant Operator (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BCFebruary 3, 2014
Wasn't a bad company, but the pay wasn't what they originally had stated when I first started
Floorhand (Current Employee) –  albertaAugust 8, 2012
Great co-worker teaching me lots of stuff and good rig to work on
Pros
good money
Cons
didnt fly us out