Ensign Energy Services Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

It was a great learning experiece to work at Ensign.
HR Field Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABJuly 13, 2016
Ensign was a great place to work. I was able to move up within the company and I had wonderful mentors within the company who were willing to teach me new jobs within the company. It was a fast paced environment and I learned to multi task and organize my work as per level of importance. I worked in the HR department and was a coordinator for finding employees to work on the rigs. It was a department that demanded excellent team work.The hardest part of the job was not being able to put our hands to work when there was no work, and the best part of the job was being able to send out our employees for work.
Pros
Working closely with the field hands.
Cons
On call on the weekends.
good working with them
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJune 30, 2016
good working with them.
good company and good people to work with
enjoy working in the field
work in oilfield and oilfield rigs
Productive and fun
QA Analyst Tester (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 16, 2016
Great, Fun work, Many activities to conduct with Coworkers. Very Loyal company to their long term employees. I would recommended to my friends.
Crew Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 4, 2016
Long hours and great pay. Too bad it's not year round.
Hopefully the oilpatch will make a comeback sooner than later.
I look forward to working here again.
A company who cares about their employees
Driller (Current Employee) –  Nisku, ABMarch 3, 2016
They do what they can to keep their guys busy in the slow times. Took me on from the international side and put me to work in the Canadian division without hesitation
Well run company
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABFebruary 24, 2016
Long days but well compensated. The office seemed to be very well run. The drilling industry is very up and down though. the worst part of the job was being away from civilization for long periods of time.
Pros
pay, benifits
Cons
long days, long hitches.
long hours but worth wild job
oil field technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABFebruary 5, 2016
if your single or have a very understanding love one its the job for you. 12 hour shifts. a lot of hands on work experience.
Pros
consistent work
Cons
long periods away from society
Poor work environment
administrative (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABJanuary 22, 2016
You don't get too comfortable at Ensign because you don't know from one day to the next if you have a job. Management pretend to listen to concerns but you are pretty much left on your own. One thing I did practice a lot there was how to work independently.
Good job but too much travelling.
Motorman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 21, 2016
Hard work, lots of hours, and good people to work with learned new skills get along with new workers teach them new skills
Pros
Good people
Cons
To much travling
good company
Floor-hand (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 10, 2015
Big company but if you find a good rig you would love to work at this company. I cant say anything bad about the company I got paid on time and never had problem with the company.
Pros
pay good
Cons
its a rig job so its cold
great environment to work in and great group of guys. safety is always #1
Operator/Labourer (Current Employee) –  Fort St John, BCNovember 19, 2015
make sure i do my walk around the vessel and check all the valves and pressures.
keep work area tidy and clean.
fix anything we come across broken or not in working order.
be ready at any point to get to the vessel ASAP to get the gas from the rig through our lines and burn it off the flare stack.
Cons
12 hour shifts for 20 days straight
Good Company with a good history
floor hand (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 18, 2015
It was a nice place to work , most of my colleagues were nice to work with, they need to work more of the safety side of things , people cant be honest if they get injured because of saftey bonuses .
Pros
great company, great working environment, treated all employers fairly
Cons
need to work more on the safety program, since everything is rushed
International Drilling Company
Human Resources Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 17, 2015
Canadian Based. Treats employees very well. Good work life balance. Does not pay as much as their competitors. Friendly co-workers and work environment.
Great pay, low level of respect
Floor hand (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABNovember 8, 2015
If you want to make great money without any care of workplace environment or conditions this work is for you. Until you are promoted to a driller you are basically treated like garbage in the field. Not only by your own crew but by CNRL employees as well. It is hard to keep spirits high with long work days and no respect as a human. The motto seems to be work fast, don't ask questions and learn fast. If that doesn't bother you, great! You will be making $100,000 per year 3 months after hired. Enjoy the 15 hour long work days that stretch anywhere from 12-21 days straight before getting a day to rest.
Pros
HIGH pay, opportunities for career advancement, benefits
Cons
Extremely long hours, Extreme physical labour, terrible attitudes, no respect for others
Kept moral low
administrative (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABNovember 4, 2015
The whole time I worked there I didn't feel any job security. They would lay people off at least once a month to make sure you knew your job wasn't secure.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Low salary
good environment to work for Accounts payable department
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 4, 2015
Learned a lot of different processed in Accounts payable and the operations on Rigs. A very good environment to work, with the support of the supervisor, very efficient on processing the invoices, with step by step who to approved before paying. The location is awesome in Downtown. Give good incentive to employees, like hockey tickets, xmas party.
Ensign
Derrick Hand (Former Employee) –  All over AlbertaOctober 29, 2015
Ensign was a great company to work for, but when it came to the push's on site egos often got in the way and the company didn't do much to stop it from happening.
Pros
Good money, Good Company
Cons
Away from my children and wife, lonely
Great place to build a career or used to be ?
rig hand (Current Employee) –  NiskuOctober 10, 2015
Ensign has created many great opportunities for many people over the years " myself included " while training some brightest minds in industry. Unfortunately the down turn in commodity price and recent failures from our NPD government to implement stability in Alberta economy has affected Ensigns ability to retain the very talent it used to pride and succeed on. With yesterdays winners becoming todays losers reputation is everything and that starts with the people, the talent, the ones that are now laid off and getting scouted by the competition and retained for better days. This will drastically effect Ensigns ability to bring quality to the table moving forward.
Derrickhand
Derrickhand (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 1, 2015
Working in an ever changing environment with changing weather pasterns and conditions made for a constant concern for the location and local weather reports.
Just being prepared for anything sounds hard but it was actually fun to be ready at a moments notice about a rig move or a weather pattern moving in that we had to get ready for.
mostly it must be about the communication between the Consultant, Rig manager, and his crew to perform a task that must be performed on a daily manner and with clockwork efficiency.
Pros
outdoors
Cons
weather conditions
Good money, steady work
Gas Production Tester (Night-Shift Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 30, 2015
Company has changed quite a bit in the past year. Not sure how things will fit in the coming couple years.

But in the past good company to work for overall. Like any oilfield job there's the usual good and bad. They work reasonably well with your schedule and any emergencies can often get you out without too much delay. Good equipment to work with and often kept in good repair so not too much grief while on lease. Turnover means often working with new people but those who stick around are mostly good workers who know their stuff, and the bad eggs get chucked in due time. A good amount of camp work is a huge bonus, and the camps are usually pretty nice. Frequent opportunity to advance if you're showing a willingness to learn, improve, and work well as a team with crews/consultants/management. Running your own truck is encouraged over using company truck, so extra pay with good kilometers traveled. And you don't need to CVIP as a shop hand will often use company truck to tow.
Pros
Run own truck. Room to advance. Good Equipment. Good Pay. Work with your schedule with good notice.
Cons
Hours (day rate but can go far beyond 12hrs), Short notice (usually oil companies fault but can be working long beyond 24hrs without sleep), unpredictable

Ensign Energy Services Inc. Reviews by Location