Ensign Energy Services Inc. Employee Reviews

Company was good to work for in the field
Motor hand (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB11 December 2016
This type of work isn't for everyone, unfortunately I felt that this company could have handles themselves better when things were coming to a close. Otherwise met some good people in the field and also had a great opportunity to learn some skills that are continuing to help me today.
All around amazing company to work for
Special Projects Supervisor (Former Employee) –  alberta and british columbia12 December 2016
I would love to continue to work for ensign production testing but as markets change , so did the work ( reason for leaving lack of jobs)
Pros
benefits and competitive rates
Cons
zero
Good but I hear there is better
Motorman (Former Employee) –  Alberta11 December 2016
I worked off and on for ensign for 7 yrs and even tho I had been set up motors on several rigs the office would never send me out as a motor man. The girls that were good in the office have all left as well.
It was a great learning experiece to work at Ensign.
HR Field Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB13 July 2016
Ensign was a great place to work. I was able to move up within the company and I had wonderful mentors within the company who were willing to teach me new jobs within the company. It was a fast paced environment and I learned to multi task and organize my work as per level of importance. I worked in the HR department and was a coordinator for finding employees to work on the rigs. It was a department that demanded excellent team work.The hardest part of the job was not being able to put our hands to work when there was no work, and the best part of the job was being able to send out our employees for work.
Pros
Working closely with the field hands.
Cons
On call on the weekends.
Great bunch of people to work with.
rig electrician 1 (Former Employee) –  Oman10 January 2017
Very good food and accommodation. Usually a gym on site. Excellent pay. All PPE supplied. All safety training supplied. All travel paid. Very good interaction with management.
Working environment is very friendly and productive. We have free breakfast on Fridays.
Intermediate Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 September 2016
It was fun working at my former employer. I had a conducive and safe workplace that helped me be effective and efficient. My co-workers were friendly.
Pros
Free Breakfast
Cons
Hard to relax with this company
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2016
Stressful place to work. No life / work balance. Supervisors that don't know the policies or HR related questions.
Too many hands in the processes
Good company to work for.
Driller (Current Employee) –  Alberta/BC/Sask15 July 2016
Spent 10 years working with Ensign during which I have been put through paid training and had a chance to work in Australia
Pros
Lots of time off during spring break up
Cons
Summers are a bit slow
good working with them
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Alberta30 June 2016
good working with them.
good company and good people to work with
enjoy working in the field
work in oilfield and oilfield rigs
Productive and fun
QA Analyst Tester (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2016
Great, Fun work, Many activities to conduct with Coworkers. Very Loyal company to their long term employees. I would recommended to my friends.
Well run company
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB24 February 2016
Long days but well compensated. The office seemed to be very well run. The drilling industry is very up and down though. the worst part of the job was being away from civilization for long periods of time.
Pros
pay, benifits
Cons
long days, long hitches.
Great pay, low level of respect
Floor hand (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB8 November 2015
If you want to make great money without any care of workplace environment or conditions this work is for you. Until you are promoted to a driller you are basically treated like garbage in the field. Not only by your own crew but by CNRL employees as well. It is hard to keep spirits high with long work days and no respect as a human. The motto seems to be work fast, don't ask questions and learn fast. If that doesn't bother you, great! You will be making $100,000 per year 3 months after hired. Enjoy the 15 hour long work days that stretch anywhere from 12-21 days straight before getting a day to rest.
Pros
HIGH pay, opportunities for career advancement, benefits
Cons
Extremely long hours, Extreme physical labour, terrible attitudes, no respect for others
great environment to work in and great group of guys. safety is always #1
Operator/Labourer (Current Employee) –  Fort St John, BC19 November 2015
make sure i do my walk around the vessel and check all the valves and pressures.
keep work area tidy and clean.
fix anything we come across broken or not in working order.
be ready at any point to get to the vessel ASAP to get the gas from the rig through our lines and burn it off the flare stack.
Cons
12 hour shifts for 20 days straight
Poor work environment
administrative (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB22 January 2016
You don't get too comfortable at Ensign because you don't know from one day to the next if you have a job. Management pretend to listen to concerns but you are pretty much left on your own. One thing I did practice a lot there was how to work independently.
good environment to work for Accounts payable department
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 November 2015
Learned a lot of different processed in Accounts payable and the operations on Rigs. A very good environment to work, with the support of the supervisor, very efficient on processing the invoices, with step by step who to approved before paying. The location is awesome in Downtown. Give good incentive to employees, like hockey tickets, xmas party.
A company who cares about their employees
Driller (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB3 March 2016
They do what they can to keep their guys busy in the slow times. Took me on from the international side and put me to work in the Canadian division without hesitation
Good Company with a good history
floor hand (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 November 2015
It was a nice place to work , most of my colleagues were nice to work with, they need to work more of the safety side of things , people cant be honest if they get injured because of saftey bonuses .
Pros
great company, great working environment, treated all employers fairly
Cons
need to work more on the safety program, since everything is rushed
Great place to build a career or used to be ?
rig hand (Current Employee) –  Nisku10 October 2015
Ensign has created many great opportunities for many people over the years " myself included " while training some brightest minds in industry. Unfortunately the down turn in commodity price and recent failures from our NPD government to implement stability in Alberta economy has affected Ensigns ability to retain the very talent it used to pride and succeed on. With yesterdays winners becoming todays losers reputation is everything and that starts with the people, the talent, the ones that are now laid off and getting scouted by the competition and retained for better days. This will drastically effect Ensigns ability to bring quality to the table moving forward.
Derrickhand
Derrickhand (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 October 2015
Working in an ever changing environment with changing weather pasterns and conditions made for a constant concern for the location and local weather reports.
Just being prepared for anything sounds hard but it was actually fun to be ready at a moments notice about a rig move or a weather pattern moving in that we had to get ready for.
mostly it must be about the communication between the Consultant, Rig manager, and his crew to perform a task that must be performed on a daily manner and with clockwork efficiency.
Pros
outdoors
Cons
weather conditions
Good place to start and develop your experience
Receptionist, Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 September 2015
Job day begins with getting organized, checking emails, sifting through work left on one's desk from after-hours staff. Most of the time you are left alone to work, other times last minute things pop up. Be prepared for working through the occasional lunch hour or staying late.
Taking courses - pertinent to your job - are encouraged and supported.
The staff were lovely to work with. Some management is better then others.
Pros
Free lunches

Ensign Energy Services Inc. Reviews by Job Title