English Montreal School Board Employee Reviews

Great place to work in
COOK CLASS II / CAFETERIA MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 20, 2016
Completes all the three C's you are looking for in a job : Compensation, Culture and Company. They empower you to do the best in your job and are open to ideas and new innovations.
Very challenging
Lunch monitor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 5, 2016
My job was very challenging and demanding because of working with young and autistic children with learning disabilities, outdoor and indoor activities, it was fun .
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Only one hour a day
Wonderful ladies to work with
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 12, 2016
working there was great, provides a lot of opportunities and sorry to leave. The hours don't work with me attending school full time.
Pros
Good pay, lovely staff
Cons
short hours, on call
Enriched learning environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 12, 2016
I had the opportunity to use my educational and research experiences to practice as a teacher. This opportunity was full of various learning experiences and was rewarding as a professional educator.
Pros
inexpensive lunch
Cons
bi-weekly
challenging / rewording
SPECIAL EDUCATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Montreal CanadaJanuary 10, 2016
The cliental I work with often come in with fear, confusion, anger and despair. but most of all lack of trust for outsiders.

My day-to-day interaction was spend as the lead front line worker for children / youth with significant behavioral challenges I learned quickly no two situation are alike and no two individuals respond in the same way.

Most of the student had no intention of following the rules and or expectations of the teaches / schools. It was my job respond to the crisis, and to help find solutions for all involved .

In a school with 300 and 400 students and lack of resource and teacher training etc. it is difficult at times to keep a balance and find ways of providing support and growth opportunities .

Establishing a warm, nurturing but firm relationship, with my students and families was often a major challenge but was also the most rewording part of my job.

Being able to see the changes take place with some of the most difficult students that would otherwise have being transferred were some of my greatest success, and made going to work enjoyable

my references with back up my dedication and skills .
Pros
witnessing change, being a mentor
Cons
lack of resource
Excellent work culture and helpful colleagues.
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 11, 2015
The management team is very good and the entire board is handled very efficiently.
The work life balance is well maintained and each lecturer is given a good background of the school.
Lowest salaries in Canada, inept bureaucracy
Primary Core French and Music Teacher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 22, 2015
Although staff at the board are friendly in person, they are difficult to get a hold of otherwise. You can expect to wait months (once hired) until you receive a contract and are paid according to the paltry pay scale. You may earn a better salary as a supply teacher. Quality of schools is very uneven, as well as professional development opportunities. Equity and gender violence education appears to be nearly non-existent. Supply teaching opportunities limited and the online system is rarely used. Supply teachers must approach school individually and then cross their fingers.
Pros
Pleasant co-workers
Cons
poor pay, resources, uneven quality of schools, paper work
vocational program TRAVEL AND TOURISM
Teacher in the tourism department (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 26, 2015
If you like meeting people of different background , this is a great place. Students in vocational programs are usually older and often it is a career change that spurs them in choosing a vocational program such as TRAVEL AND TOURISM
Cons
teachers work on contract
Got to love kids
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 3, 2014
I worked as a childcare worker for a year and a half part time. I was doing substitution at several different schools. There were a lot of hours to be given out and I often worked for the same people, because I worked well with their student. The more hours you accumulate the more hours you'll be given because you go to the top of the list. Some teachers would try and off load students with behaviour problems that weren't coded and weren't regularly under the child care workers care.
Pros
get to work with children
Cons
a lot of travel time
EMSB fun and challenging
Child Care/Daycare Worker/ Special Educator (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCJune 11, 2014
* I first started working there as a substitute child care worker or special ed. technician. My schedule would vary from day to day and from week to week. Mostly working in high schools, I had to follow the child's schedule.

* As we all know, everyone is different, therefore I had to have different approaches with different children. It was my responsability to get to know them and have them trust me.

* I have learned to treat everyone with respect, regardless of their age group and to never under estimate one's intelligence.

* The management/school principal(s) and my co-workers were helpful and great. I never had any problems with them. There was a mutual respect, I did what was expected of me and made sure I learned from my mistakes.

*The Hardest part of the job was not having a stabl eplace to work from. The uncertainty of my schedule and of where I would be working the next day or week.

*The most enjoyable part is when being appreciated and recognized for my hard workk
EMSB needs to improve students and employees learning and working environment.
Research Facilitator (Former Employee) –  MontrealMarch 6, 2014
Intense internal politics. Poor pedagogical training. Specially human resource department provide extremely inferior service.
Pros
students are great to work with.
Cons
poor human resource support.
Exciting and productive job.
High School Laboratory technician (Former Employee) –  OptionsII, Royal West Academy, Laurenhill AcademyAugust 30, 2013
Preparing experiments for students in grade 9 and 10. Always fun working with students on a daily basis.The hardest part of my job were the long hours preparing for exams which became all worthwhile with vacation to follow. The most enjoyable part was when the students experiments were successful. Never had problems working with teachers and management. The atmosphere I created for myself was maintained with my co-workers once they entered my space. Outside of my space I adjusted to suit. Overall my experience was wonderful.
Pros
summer and winter vacations.
Cons
technology part in the woodshop.
Productive and motivating environment.
Contracted Social Studies/Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 8, 2013
Implemented stimulating lessons to capture student’s attention and interest. Utilized discussion-based lessons in order to promote a deeper understanding of the concepts. Created and administered weekly quizzes and monthly tests to track student progress. Offered after-school tutoring to help struggling students improve their critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Participated in various extracurricular activities. Attended all staff meetings and professional development workshops.

Having to deal with thousands of students in both jobs has not only given me confidence, patience, and ambition for excellence, but it has also thought me how unwavering support can really make all the difference in someone’s life. That is the ultimate goal.

Great co-workers very friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

Keeping on motivating the students was sometimes the hardest part of my job. It has taught me how to persevere and to effectively problem solve by approaching the situation with an open mind while developing different strategies to resolve and take charge.

The most enjoyable/rewarding part of my job was to make a difference is someone's life.
Working with student is enjoyable
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 20, 2012
I enjoyed to work with student. I was teaching French most of time or teaching history or geography in french. Sometimes I had special needs students.But I didn't have the quebecer accent.

2.9