Join the ERCB and work for one of Alberta’s 2011 Top 50 Employers!
The ERCB acts in the best interest of all Albertans in overseeing the efficient and effective development of our resources, while balancing the need for resource conservation, public safety, environmental protection, technical innovation and service. This broad mandate places the new ERCB at the forefront of the regulatory world. With a passion for service, we will create a legacy of excellence for present and future generations of Albertans.
The rewards and challenges are enormous. We are seeking highly skilled and diverse team members possessing strong technical skills with a vision and desire to carry out the ERCB mandate. Grow individually and as a Team member in your career by working with the ERCB to serve all Albertans.
REPORTS TO: Section Leader, Regulatory Development
The Regulatory Development Branch supports the ERCB in the development of regulatory principles, tools and techniques that supports the ERCB vision to be the best non-conventional regulator in the world by 2013.
PURPOSE OF ROLE:
The ERCB’s Regulatory Development Branch is responsible for the ERCB’s regulatory requirements are necessary, relevant, concise and easily accessible to all stakeholders. The Branch provides specialist level expertise in the areas of risk assessment, regulatory impact assessment and regulatory management systems to: assist in developing specific regulatory changes; reviewing current regulations and running the ERCB’s regulatory management system.
The Regulatory Analyst will work with senior ERCB staff members in finding solutions to real world regulatory problems by providing advice and guidance for effective problem solving, the development of appropriate regulatory instruments, the criteria for the use of the instruments and the application, implementation and tracking of the instruments.
The role is very diverse and applicants are expected to be able to function with minimal supervision in various capacities. This includes facilitating discussions among diverse groups, analysing input information and results, recording and documenting discussions, and researching regulatory tools and options.
The Regulatory Analyst will responsible for:
- Finding solutions to real world regulatory problems using appropriate regulatory tools, approaches and problem solving techniques
- Assisting in identifying areas and issues that require updated regulatory instruments
- Assisting ERCB staff members in understanding, selecting and implementing appropriate tools for regulatory initiatives across the ERCB
- Developing problem statements, constructing alternatives, evaluating and selecting appropriate regulatory criteria, projecting outcomes, describing potential trade-offs and making recommendations for regulatory initiatives
- Facilitating and documenting discussions to ensure the items listed above have been fully explored and captured
- Supporting ERCB staff members in executing the solutions that have been developed for the regulatory initiatives
- Researching and presenting regulatory tools and options
- Writing regulatory requirements
- Monitoring and assessing the effectiveness of the solutions that have been selected and implemented
- A related post secondary education with a minimum of 7 years directly related progressive experience. Education areas may include political science, public policy, economics, management and commerce, or law
- Experience in a regulatory organization is preferred
- A strong understanding of regulatory systems and regulatory practice
- An understanding of risk analysis and decision making techniques
- A strong strategic thinker
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills as well as a proven ability to work independently and in groups
- Excellent facilitation and negotiation skills
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to motivate others
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems in new and unique situations
- Flexible and open to new ideas
HOW TO APPLY:
Please go to the ERCB Web site www.ercb.ca, click on the “Careers” tab, “Search Career Opportunities,” Select the job you are applying for, click on the APPLY NOW and follow the instructions.