Elwood Staffing

Elwood Staffing Employee Reviews

High Internal Turnover
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  ColoradoMarch 28, 2016
The company overall is NOT terrible. However, their expectations can be unrealistic. The Elwoods are great at sitting in front of their computers and composing a bunch of emails to "encourage" their employees and that is about it. They do not have a true understanding of operations on a branch level. They also have no understanding of how very different markets can be. A typical day consists of getting hounded by direct managers, who I am sure are feeling the heat from above but it carries through the company very negatively. I do enjoy my coworkers and have enjoyed the few business trips I've been invited to. However the turnover rate is astronomical and they wonder why? Salaries and especially commissions are LOW and the written job d3scriptons really don't even begin to t0uch on what they actually want from you.
Pros
Normal schedule, medical benefits
Cons
Compensation, Upper Management
Exciting and Fulfilling Work but not a Guaranteed Job
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Seymour, INFebruary 8, 2016
I really liked my job through Elwood Staffing. A typical shift was eight hours and possibly overtime if production was not met. I did not work weekends. It was a very fast paced job with a large opportunity to learn more every day. Management of the company I was working for through Elwood had a lack of organization and ran a lot on "word of mouth" instead of facts based observations. The hardest part was cooperating with the other co-workers who "did not want to be there" and did not care to meet production. The most enjoyable part of the job was being put on a very fast line with competitive and hard working co-workers who made me "stay on my toes" throughout the shift and provided me with insightful conversation on how to work more efficiently. I also enjoyed the fact that this company made automotive parts for Ford (among other automotive customers) and I really like Ford trucks. I would have gotten "hired on" after Elwood's three month probationary work period but was told that there was not a position open for me at that certain company once my "hired on" date came up. All in all, I learned that even if you work your hardest, sometimes it is not enough and you will just have to continue to work harder at a different place. Don't give up just because you have to work for a staffing agency before you become hired on to an actual company or industry.
Pros
Casual Friday (at the company, not the temp service)
Cons
Lots of gossip between co-workers and management staff
Very Limited Support
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 10, 2016
Although Elwood has a fantastic culture and very welcoming atmosphere, I was very disappointed by the lack of support I received from my Regional Manager and Regional VP. I received more support from the CEO and other Executives than I could get from my regional team. It was very discouraging.
Pros
Great Work Environment, Great Executive Team, Great Potential
Cons
Little to no regional support.
Fun fast paced workplace
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTApril 4, 2016
I loved working here and would go back in a heartbeat. The hours were perfect for going back to school. I loved that we had a pre-shift workout every day to ensure no injuries would occur. I loved everyone I worked with. When I was a new temp, I wasn't treated any differently than if I was a direct hire employee. They have amazing benefits. The hardest part of the job was getting used to handling the hot product and the use of my utility knife. The most enjoyable part was not only how everyone helped one another when needed. It was the fact that I had my weekends FREE. It's very hard to find a production job where you don't have to work at least one day over the weekend
Pros
ability to have a drink with you. Weekends off, Awesome people
Cons
breaks didn't seem long enough sometimes, couldn't listen to music as a temp.
Fast-Paced environment with attention executives
Staffing Manager (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CANovember 1, 2015
Great environment to grow in a Human resource field. Skills apply to any sales or customer service directed position. Slow ability to move up the career chain, but executives are present and in constant communication.
Pros
Great benefits
Elwood
Management Development Program (Current Employee) –  Columbus, INFebruary 24, 2016
Elwood Staffing is a great company with a great culture - However the staffing industry is rough and the compensation is very low
Pros
Cons
Pay
Team work oriented Company & Team Leaders always there to assist when needed
Temporary worker Haworth/Big Rapids Components) (Current Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIJanuary 4, 2016
Beginning of shift check board to see where your working at. Daily information meetings after second break. Ability to work in fast paced environment & be self motivated. Able to move around to areas needed to fill in & learn fast how to perform job the job in a efficient & safe manner Then look at customer label & BOM Sheet to verify type Tower building. Inspect all parts verify there correct & no defects. If any found take to repair person or Co-Ordinator if needs scrapped out & reordered. Must be able to work 50 + hours a week, stand 10 hours a day & weekends when needed. Meet & exceed daily & weekly goals.
Pros
Team work environment & Management support
Cons
Unable to transfer to different departments, limits ability to learn more on company operations
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, ALJanuary 16, 2016
A typical day at work is picking orders, then waiting on a truck to be loaded and some time it takes time while you get behind and you need to have it done in seven and a hours. I learned how to pick a order and a certain way it is placed on a pallet. Some days I might see management come by and ask how are you but other than that I work without being bothered. I stay to myself working, I don't have time to talk I believe in getting my job done and going home, some co-workers are in a huddle talking I stay away from that. The hardest part of the job is lifting some of the tug that the parts are in. The most enjoyable part of the job is taking breaks, lunch and going home.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Pay wages
Does not stay in touch with employees on new opportunities.
Medicaid Patient Accounting Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 11, 2015
No communication with employees, whether it be about new opportunities or present position. Job duties were directed by Parkview managers with little or no notice at all. Co-workers all got along, however always felt like in limbo because of no communication. Everyday seemed to be different in that such the objective was somewhat juggled! Hardest part of job was lack of communication between navigators and or call center reps.The most enjoyable part of my job was to be able to tell people about the Healthy IN Plan and reassure them that we would help them anyway we could.
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
No benefits
Quick at finding decent jobs nearby
Exployee (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJanuary 21, 2016
Elwood staffing provided up to 4 jobs while working for them, with more on the side for easy applying and assignment. Each job offered decent hours as well as some benefits once hired on through actual company rather through the temp agency. Jobs varied from working with hot plastics to assembling eyeglasses. Day to day activity fluctuated from slow to fast, but nothing unmanageable.
Pros
Okay hours
Cons
Loss of income due to temp agency
Management is lacking common sense.
Never went that far (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OHDecember 7, 2015
Went to see about some temp work. Bored. These fools ask for "Biological"samples. Lol what semin, stool, dna? Lol I suppose urine but when asked they are clueless as to how to respond to having this put in black and white. I had enough of their lack of knowledge and law and walked out. I retired after 30 years in public service and know the Drug and Alcohol testing legalities forward and backwards. One worker responded we do not have someone with your education level in here often. Duh you did today and can't handle it. Poor operation.
Pros
Cons
Idiots in management
Nice place to work and great hours.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Belton, MOSeptember 7, 2015
A typical day for is from 7am-3:30pm. I work at a warehouse and the day moves along pretty well as long as you stay busy. The management and staff are very friendly and make you feel as if your needed there. The only complaint I have is I wish they payed more money and the benefits were better.
Pros
Free popcorn on 1st break and snacks on Wednesday afternoons
Cons
The short ten minute breaks go way to fast.
Long Hours, Poor atmosphere
Elwood Staffing Temp (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fork, UTJuly 21, 2015
With this Job I worked as a temp at Young Living Essential Oils. That job required I was on my feet all day every day. That part was something I was fine with. I look for a Job where I'm moving all day. It was the hours. I worked 4 10 hour shifts on a rotating shift (first week: monday tuesday wednesday thursday. Second week: tuesday wednesday thursday friday. And so on and so forth) We had 2 breaks that were 15 minutes and 1 lunch that was 30 minutes. I was packing boxes all day every day. Plus it was a swing shift. (3 pm to 2 am) eventually they started working us 4 11 hour shifts. And at that point I decided not to continue work with them
Pros
N/A
Cons
Long hours, poor management, unorganized
Horrible management, total disregard of personal and medical issues impacting work schedule.
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORApril 6, 2016
Working for Elwood was definitely a mistake. The representatives in the office are rude, unprofessional and defensive if asked questions regarding pay issues even when calling anonymously. Often something unorthodox was happening at CDS and management would look the other way and Elwood would use contract loopholes to reinforce disregarding unsafe working environments. A good example is a period of time which I spent multiple weeks straight working 12 hour shifts with no days off and when requesting a day off to visit my best friend with a life threatening condition in the hospital I was told I would likely lose my job for asking for time off. Another horrible notable experience I unfortunately endured was when 9 large machine parts needed to be pressure washed but the maintenance manager didn't want to do it, so the floor manager waited for graveyard shift to come around and made temp workers do it in very dangerous working conditions. When confronting Elwood about this incident, the only response I got was "Well you signed the contract and it says 'other duties' which includes all labor".
Pros
Cons
Rude management, bad management, bias and shady management, employees are treated like garbage
Friendly
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Shepherdsville, KYDecember 29, 2015
Elwood is an excellent staffing agency to go through if you need something temporary. They try to find you a position quickly and are very helpful. A lot of the places they contract are not very dependable as far as hiring people on full time. But that is okay. That isn't Elwood's fault.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Very long hours cut to very short hours
Great co-workers
Production Line at honda Plant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, ALMarch 30, 2016
Very fast paced. I learn new skillls on new honda vehicles. management work as hard or harder than their inferiors. the hardest part of the job was the extreme fast pace. the best part was the pay. saturday was double time, sunday was tripple time.
Pros
great pay
Cons
tired all the time, but worth it.
Was very interestinglace to work, working with robotic welders.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Seymour, INApril 15, 2016
A Typical day was 5;00pm to 5;00am (3rd shift) Pretty much just came in at 5;00pm, clocked in, went to mu assigned station, checked with co-worker for quality issues.

Fist job I ever had running robotic weling machines, was very interesting to me. Learned how robotics worked.

Very disciplined, came around about every hour to see how I was doing.

Co-workers were easy to get along with, on an assembly line we all got together pretty well, helped on-another with various questions about line.

Nothing much really, just did my work, made sure parts checked o.k., no problems. Maybe had issues with machines stopping, or needing maintainence.

Most enjoyable part of job was watching the robots do the work.
Pros
Nothing much to say really, did my job, got production out as needed, went home.
Cons
Again, just went in, got job done, went home for day.
N/A
Staffing Manager (Current Employee) –  Longmont, CONovember 9, 2015
Company has its good points and a lot of bad points when it comes to Compensation /Benefits - Managements need to help support new ideas.
A great way to find a job
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTMarch 5, 2016
Long hours.
Easy to find a new job if you didn't like the one you were at
Very nice co workers
Over all I liked working for Elwood staffing because they helped me found a job when I needed one
Pros
Easy to start work
Cons
A lot of disliked jobs
Temp agency alot of open jobs
Elwood Staffing Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, INFebruary 25, 2016
You can work for different companies but sometimes getting hired full time can be an absolute joke. Not alot of room for advancement.
Pros
lots of job oppritunites
Cons
bad healthcare, low wages, not full time