Elsevier

Elsevier Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Not a fun place to be
designer (Former Employee), PhillyJuly 16, 2014
Pros: no pros
Cons: management
Very strange work environment. No privacy. Management is just dreadful. Would not recommend this place to my worst enemies. Best part of the day was 4pm. Worst part of the day was coming in and trying to get work done while people talked about their personal lives right next to your workspace. They told me that they like to retain their employees with – more... talent, but they did the exact opposite. – less
productive and fun
costumer sevives (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 25, 2014
a typical work day was fun and porductve. i learned alot about a lot about a call center.management was fair, my co -wokers where helpful, the hardest part was costumer service. the most enjoyable part was making the costumer happy
Good
Marketer (Current Employee), SingaporeJune 7, 2014
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Health Science Publisher
Reference Solutions Account Representative (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOMay 2, 2014
Pros: ???
Cons: ???
Elseveir is a health, science, and technology publisher located in Amsterdamn with corporate offices world wide.
Great People to work with and friendly environment
Reg Sales Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 23, 2014
Pros: smart workforce, team work and pet benefits
Cons: comp plan structure, payments, lack of sales goals, every changing
Elsevier has a great work environment. Everyone in the New York location are friendly, helpful and resourceful. The down side of the culture is sole on management and international views towards the workforce. There is a great respect for the scientist and editorial staff within the company. If you are part of the customer facing group then upper management – more... would not support you in giving timely sales goals, compensation plans or payments. Elsevier has had the reputation of too much red tape to deliver on customer’s needs and the pricing structure is very strict. Sales staff are over burdened and under paid.

Since 2011 there has been 7 Comp Plans and all payments have been late or wrongly calculated – less
Productive and fun workplace.
Development /Application maintenance (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 9, 2014
Learned new things and the co-workers are so cool and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting new projects and teamwork processes, and performance outcomes.
An online internship program
Internship (Former Employee), Orlando, FLApril 3, 2014
An online internship program I did for my school. This was done as a online internship for my medical coding program
Nice Place to work
TERRITORY MANAGER- (Madhya Pradesh) (Current Employee), Bhopal, MPMarch 20, 2014
Nice Place to work. Nice Company, good management, having nice job culture, strong HR, always think about employee
Terrible corporate culture
POD Inventory Analyst (Former Employee), Maryland Heights, MO 63146February 27, 2014
Cons: many
The Human Resources Director, the Director of US Inventory Management (IM) and a local St. Louis HR Manager are engaged in an ongoing civil conspiracy against me in which they are depriving me my right to free trade in my profession, denying my right to possess my personal property, interfering with any opportunity I have to gain employment and continue – more... to defame me through use of false light, libel and slander.
The Director of US IM sent me a letter in which she stated that I caused the IM department to become "unable to function" and that I "insisted on recording every interaction" with my coworkers and managers. First, Elsevier is a $22 billion company and I did not cause the IM department to be "unable to function" at any time. Second, I did not record every interaction with my cowrkers and managers. I did record when I reported violations of company policy and/or law as well as specific instances of harassment and hostility being directed at me but that was not ongoing for the duration of my career with Elsevier. I had earned multiple promotions and awards in a short time. It was only when I reported harassment that I made any recording. Unfortunately even with recorded evidence of harassment there is nothing a victim can do when the DIrector of Human Resources joins in the harassment, threats and hostility.
Elsevier lies. They claim they are "committed to retaining" but then pull "employment at-will" out after you accept the offer and have already turned down other offers.
Elsevier is not even committed to free speech. My friend and former (first) supervisor at Elsevier was going to provide me a letter of recommendation but was threatened with termination if she did so. Elsevier owes its existence to freedom of speech but denies that basic human right to its own US employees. Run, don't walk away from this company!
It's a shame this site forces us to give at least one star for every category. Too bad they don't offer up a big red 'X'. – less
A good place to work.
Order Processor (Current Employee), Linn, MOFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Great place to work with great co-workers. I enjoy learning new things in different areas.
People who work here seem to have the perfect balance of intelligence with a sense of humor
Sales (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 7, 2014
A typical day is relatively stress-free. Management in some areas is geographically dispersed which can make collaboration more challenging. Managers do make an effort to shed light on accomplishments, which is nice. Employee morale is average; hits occasional lows in times of restructuring and commission payouts (only happen several times a year), – more... but this is pretty normal for any company. The hardest part of my job is self-motivation, since this is a given expectation of management and motivation does not usually come from them or others--this challenge is almost a blessing in disguise however, because it's something that everyone needs to learn and be able to have at any job...so in the long run it has helped me professionally. The most enjoyable part of my job is the fantastic location in NYC, hours and friendly people/connections I have acquired over the years. The experience you might have working here is really a coin toss, because there are so many drastically different departments, sectors, initiatives, etc. all of which operate differently and may have a difference type of culture. The only reasons I have seen people leave on their own accord have been due to lack of career advancement or issues with their comp plans. People here usually stay for a while and will eventually advance (with patience). – less
Creative Coordinator
Creative Coordinator (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 3, 2014
This was one of my favorite positions to work in. I was given different opportunities to work on creative projects and learn new skills in the creative field.
Well organized, global company to work for
Content Manager (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 6, 2013
Pros: collaborative, global, teams
Cons: no ptos, just individual sick, vacation and personal days
Elsevier is a great company to work for. Great Enterprise Management Infrastructure and truly global in its communication.
Do not value their employees
Rather not say (Current Employee), Oxford, ENGSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: work-life balance
Cons: undervaluing of employees
Very interesting industry (Scientific Publishing) but the the pay is poor and the salary bands/scales are laughable.
Lack of strategic vision
Production Supervisor (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 7, 2013
While there's a good emphasis on work-life balance, the company is and has been suffering for years from lack of strategic vision, especially in how to change the delivery methods of content to what customers desire in a time-sensitive manner. There's so much emphasis on being "penny wise and pound foolish" along with a lack of technical acumen company-wide – more... that it's greatly affected how products are launched and then abandoned. – less
Great place to work, people oriented
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Orlando, FLAugust 14, 2013
Pros: customer service week
Cons: communication
Work independently, review transactions and provide feed back to avoid further errors in subscription fulfillment, company provided opportunities for advancement, learn statistics, updated systems for subscriptions fulfillment, Magic Coach. Management support new possible ways to develop teams or an individual, co workers maintain a good and friendly – more... environment.
The hardest part of the job was when our jobs went outsource to India and we have to leave.
Elsevier had great benefits and used to maintain workers motivated – less
Great place to work, but changing
Business Controller (Current Employee), USAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: benefits, work/life balance
Cons: huge organization; shared services
Overall, a great company to work for with excellent benefits and work/life balance. However, the business model is outdated and the company is going through change. This is much needed as many processes are inefficient, but it may lead to down-sizing.
Very Interesting Work Place
Program Administration Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TexasJuly 15, 2013
Pros: random breakfast & lunches.
Cons: breaks
Well trained on extensive Knowledge of Creating, Reviewing & Grading Medical Students Test.
Contract Assigment
Cool company in the midst of significant changes
SENIOR MANAGER OF CREATIVE SERVICES (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 8, 2013
Pros: fairly stable, good work-life balance.
Elsevier is arguably the leading healthcare publisher worldwide, with a commanding portfolio encompassing a lot of the most respected references and textbooks in medicine, nursing, and allied health. Like all publishers, it is in the midst of monumental change, transitioning from traditional print publishing to new online and electronic information – more... sources, and its survival will depend on how successfully it undergoes this transition. With that said, the people are great, the benefits are very good, and I had a good run there. – less
The Elsevier was very good as a work place
C# 4.0,Asp.Net 4.0,MVC,AJAX Web Developer (Former Employee), Oxford, SJune 17, 2013
This company had given me Global world opportunity to work with like travelling to UK oxford and working there almost 1 year and totally I served around 4 yrs in the Elsevier.

About Elsevier

Finding legal, business, or scientific information is a cinch thanks to Reed Elsevier Group. The company's LexisNexis brand offers – Read more

Elsevier Photos