Elsevier

Elsevier Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive work place
QA Engineer (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAOctober 23, 2014
Pros: enjoyable work place
Very professional place to work and many opportunities to learn new things.
Great Camaraderie with coworkers
Multimedia Producer (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 27, 2014
Pros: flex time, work from home time, benefits
Cons: not much opportunity for production advancement
Typical day: Meetings, emails, camaraderie with coworkers
What I learned: I learned how to really manage my time effectively and finetuned my diplomatic skills. I now know so many different tools to use to assist me in my project management
My coworkers are wonderful and are the best part of my job
The hardest part of my job is the uncertainty of security
The – more... most enjoyable part of my job is getting to use my organizational skills, learning something new every day, the opportunities for learning, and my coworkers – less
Backside of the entertainment industry
Sales & Marketing (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 12, 2014
Pros: travel to paris often
At Reed Midem I was able to work with a great set of people who taught me a lot about the entertainment industry. Our projects included international premiers and while the work was hard it was fulfilling to see years later the part you played at getting this incredible content out to the masses.
Good work/life balance
Project manager (Current Employee), St. LouisAugust 2, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, decent pay and benefits
Cons: no career advancement
This company has a great work/life balance. The work is not too difficult. However, you don't really feel challenged and promotions are non-existent.
Generally good, with team by team variance
Software Engineer (Former Employee), St Louis, MOJuly 31, 2014
Employee's general satisfaction levels vary based on product and team. With a company of this size, there are some great groups, and some not-so-great groups.
Successful and forward thinking
Desktop Support Specialist II (Current Employee), Waltham, MAJuly 26, 2014
Pros: they believe in being innovative, they reward good work, they are always looking for new ways to be ahead of the competition and being successfull, it is not just lip service.
Cons: they are in constant flux and reorganizations and elimination of positions is common place.
They do appreciate new ideas and look into how and if they can implement them. They are driven to always be better, innovative, and ahead of the competition.
Not a fun place to be
designer (Former Employee), PhillyJuly 16, 2014
Pros: no pros
Cons: management
Very strange work environment. No privacy. Management is just dreadful. Would not recommend this place to my worst enemies. Best part of the day was 4pm. Worst part of the day was coming in and trying to get work done while people talked about their personal lives right next to your workspace. They told me that they like to retain their employees with – more... talent, but they did the exact opposite. – less
productive and fun
costumer sevives (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 25, 2014
a typical work day was fun and porductve. i learned alot about a lot about a call center.management was fair, my co -wokers where helpful, the hardest part was costumer service. the most enjoyable part was making the costumer happy
Good
Marketer (Current Employee), SingaporeJune 7, 2014
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Health Science Publisher
Reference Solutions Account Representative (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOMay 2, 2014
Pros: ???
Cons: ???
Elseveir is a health, science, and technology publisher located in Amsterdamn with corporate offices world wide.
Great People to work with and friendly environment
Reg Sales Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 23, 2014
Pros: smart workforce, team work and pet benefits
Cons: comp plan structure, payments, lack of sales goals, every changing
Elsevier has a great work environment. Everyone in the New York location are friendly, helpful and resourceful. The down side of the culture is sole on management and international views towards the workforce. There is a great respect for the scientist and editorial staff within the company. If you are part of the customer facing group then upper management – more... would not support you in giving timely sales goals, compensation plans or payments. Elsevier has had the reputation of too much red tape to deliver on customer’s needs and the pricing structure is very strict. Sales staff are over burdened and under paid.

Since 2011 there has been 7 Comp Plans and all payments have been late or wrongly calculated – less
Productive and fun workplace.
Development /Application maintenance (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 9, 2014
Learned new things and the co-workers are so cool and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting new projects and teamwork processes, and performance outcomes.
An online internship program
Internship (Former Employee), Orlando, FLApril 3, 2014
An online internship program I did for my school. This was done as a online internship for my medical coding program
Nice Place to work
TERRITORY MANAGER- (Madhya Pradesh) (Current Employee), Bhopal, MPMarch 20, 2014
Nice Place to work. Nice Company, good management, having nice job culture, strong HR, always think about employee
Terrible corporate culture
POD Inventory Analyst (Former Employee), Maryland Heights, MO 63146February 27, 2014
Cons: many
The Human Resources Director, the Director of US Inventory Management (IM) and a local St. Louis HR Manager are engaged in an ongoing civil conspiracy against me in which they are depriving me my right to free trade in my profession, denying my right to possess my personal property, interfering with any opportunity I have to gain employment and continue – more... to defame me through use of false light, libel and slander.
The Director of US IM sent me a letter in which she stated that I caused the IM department to become "unable to function" and that I "insisted on recording every interaction" with my coworkers and managers. First, Elsevier is a $22 billion company and I did not cause the IM department to be "unable to function" at any time. Second, I did not record every interaction with my cowrkers and managers. I did record when I reported violations of company policy and/or law as well as specific instances of harassment and hostility being directed at me but that was not ongoing for the duration of my career with Elsevier. I had earned multiple promotions and awards in a short time. It was only when I reported harassment that I made any recording. Unfortunately even with recorded evidence of harassment there is nothing a victim can do when the DIrector of Human Resources joins in the harassment, threats and hostility.
Elsevier lies. They claim they are "committed to retaining" but then pull "employment at-will" out after you accept the offer and have already turned down other offers.
Elsevier is not even committed to free speech. My friend and former (first) supervisor at Elsevier was going to provide me a letter of recommendation but was threatened with termination if she did so. Elsevier owes its existence to freedom of speech but denies that basic human right to its own US employees. Run, don't walk away from this company!
It's a shame this site forces us to give at least one star for every category. Too bad they don't offer up a big red 'X'. – less
A good place to work.
Order Processor (Current Employee), Linn, MOFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Great place to work with great co-workers. I enjoy learning new things in different areas.
People who work here seem to have the perfect balance of intelligence with a sense of humor
Sales (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 7, 2014
A typical day is relatively stress-free. Management in some areas is geographically dispersed which can make collaboration more challenging. Managers do make an effort to shed light on accomplishments, which is nice. Employee morale is average; hits occasional lows in times of restructuring and commission payouts (only happen several times a year), – more... but this is pretty normal for any company. The hardest part of my job is self-motivation, since this is a given expectation of management and motivation does not usually come from them or others--this challenge is almost a blessing in disguise however, because it's something that everyone needs to learn and be able to have at any job...so in the long run it has helped me professionally. The most enjoyable part of my job is the fantastic location in NYC, hours and friendly people/connections I have acquired over the years. The experience you might have working here is really a coin toss, because there are so many drastically different departments, sectors, initiatives, etc. all of which operate differently and may have a difference type of culture. The only reasons I have seen people leave on their own accord have been due to lack of career advancement or issues with their comp plans. People here usually stay for a while and will eventually advance (with patience). – less
Creative Coordinator
Creative Coordinator (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 3, 2014
This was one of my favorite positions to work in. I was given different opportunities to work on creative projects and learn new skills in the creative field.
Student Ambassador
STUDENT AMBASSADOR FOR SCOPUS (Former Employee), BeirutNovember 7, 2013
During my Masters, I was approached by the Head Librarians of Saab medical Library of the American University of Beirut, and by Elsevier members concerning their new scientific e database, SCOPUS. I was responsible for introducing, and promoting it on the campus of AUB in all departments. Over the 4 month period of doing so. I arranged meetings, hand – more... on demonstrations and practice sessions. We handed out flyers, posters and had stands on all corners of the university. According to the statistics, the promotion was a great success and i was invited with the SML team to OXford , England to give a speech of our approach.
This job taught me the sales and marketing aspect of life. Public relations, product promotion, marketing and advertisement and public awareness encompass my experience – less
Well organized, global company to work for
Content Manager (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 6, 2013
Pros: collaborative, global, teams
Cons: no ptos, just individual sick, vacation and personal days
Elsevier is a great company to work for. Great Enterprise Management Infrastructure and truly global in its communication.

1 2 3

About Elsevier

Finding legal, business, or scientific information is a cinch thanks to Reed Elsevier Group. The company's LexisNexis brand offers – Read more

Elsevier Photos