Elsevier Employee Reviews

This is a productive and has an healthy culture
Journal Manager (Current Employee) –  Chennai, TNSeptember 8, 2015
I am pleased with my company. This company has a good work life balance and employee benefits.

The work culture and the environment is flat and all are friendly
Elsevier
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 14, 2016
This is a wonderful company to work for, It has college educated Managers. It shows through the work place a , fast and easy grow in this company,
Education and Training: This company will inform and educate all employees the knowledge they need to keep the customer & the company happy, and revenue going only Up.
I, wish my job did not go overseas.
Pros
Benefits, training, work ethics a great place to work
Cons
out sourced customer service employment
Limited career advancement options
Technical Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 2, 2016
There needs to be improvement in providing clear career path options. The advancement that is available feels insignificant in terms of role/responsibility and compensation.
Pros
The health and retirement benefits are good, time off is ample once you've been there for a few years
Cons
There are frequent departmental re-organizations and manager turnover, Career advancement options are very limited
Every day a contribution to my work and a challenge to improve myself
Senior Supplier Quality Manager (Current Employee) –  AmsterdamAugust 9, 2016
My typical day at work may vary due to the very many tasks and responsibilities and internal departments together the very many suppliers I am in contact with.
My job is a continuous challenge for me to learn daily how to meet and exceed our customer's expectations translating those requirements in my daily activities. I work with internal departments with the goal of improving quality objectives overall, optimize processes, lean up standard work approaches and standardize work approaches and boost a systematic approach to our processes inputs, throughputs and outputs to meet the deliverables expected from our customers.
My stakeholders vary from masters in content quality experts in regards to chemistry, biochemistry, research etc to mid and higher internal management up to the VPs , last but not least also all the suppliers I am in contact with to ensure that quality and turn around time is met consistently. Supplier's stakeholders groups vary from Quality teams to project management management, senior and higher management up to the CEO's.
This challenge requires a consistent commitment to keep focused and be a leader in Quality in all its aspects. Every weakness or bottleneck is a chance to improve and to be better to what I do.
Journals Production
ADVERTISING PRODUCTION MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 5, 2015
A typical large scale global company. On a very high level much seems to be attempted as far as keeping employees happy, work life balance, general advancement through the organization. Unfortunately, it doesn't trickle down to lower level management, leaving those who are general workers in the dark about a lot of things
no advancement opportunities
Production/Editorial Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 7, 2016
Lack of leadership, transparency, and no room for advancement.
Little resources available to staff.
Management will continuously increase your workload with no promotion or compensation.
People quit regularly.
Pros
a job
Cons
everything about management
Great people - great mission - terrible execution
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2015
Everyone at Elsevier is great - though many of them are great at delegating rather than working and oftentimes people assume a job will just get done or bow out of tasks when not specifically part of their jobs - halting innovation and growth. They are slow to accept and implement technology and lack the knowledge necessary to do so effectively on the marketing team. While one of the many things Elsevier strives to do is maintain transparency it is often clear that this does not mean within the company.
I enjoy the people more than anything. Additionally, it's great to know that there's so much room for improvement - even baby steps make a difference.
I highly dislike the expectation of extra hours, ever-increasing work load, and overall lack of strategy felt from the top-down.
Pros
401k matching (better overtime), vacation, medical benefits, people
Cons
missed lunches, long hours, burdensome workload
Productive and Fun at Work
Accountant (Former Employee) –  OrchardJune 2, 2016
I am working in a fun, cohesive and productive environment in Elsevier. Everyone contribution to new ideas and brainstorms to resolve issues and work as a team.
Pros
RE Club -Organising a lot of fun activities
Cons
Sometimes, long hours
Great Company to work for
P2P Analyst (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOMay 24, 2016
A Great company to work for with good benefits and great people. The company relies a lot on outsourcing working which means jobs are not secure and workloads are large.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not a lot of job security or room for advancement
Great People to work with and friendly environment
Reg Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2014
Elsevier has a great work environment. Everyone in the New York location are friendly, helpful and resourceful. The down side of the culture is sole on management and international views towards the workforce. There is a great respect for the scientist and editorial staff within the company. If you are part of the customer facing group then upper management would not support you in giving timely sales goals, compensation plans or payments. Elsevier has had the reputation of too much red tape to deliver on customer’s needs and the pricing structure is very strict. Sales staff are over burdened and under paid.

Since 2011 there has been 7 Comp Plans and all payments have been late or wrongly calculated
Pros
smart workforce, team work and pet benefits
Cons
comp plan structure, payments, lack of sales goals, every changing
Great Camaraderie with coworkers
Multimedia Producer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 27, 2014
Typical day: Meetings, emails, camaraderie with coworkers
What I learned: I learned how to really manage my time effectively and finetuned my diplomatic skills. I now know so many different tools to use to assist me in my project management
My coworkers are wonderful and are the best part of my job
The hardest part of my job is the uncertainty of security
The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to use my organizational skills, learning something new every day, the opportunities for learning, and my coworkers
Pros
flex time, work from home time, benefits
Cons
not much opportunity for production advancement
Learn as much as you can and run for better paid jobs!
business analyst (Former Employee) –  OxfordMay 4, 2013
Elsevier spends a lot of time and money to raise staff qualifications (various on and off-site courses), but it is a miracle to get a salary raise.
Elsevier states their value is "boundarylessness" but the organization is more beaurocratic than the Vatican - all communication is controlled vertically, you are not allowed to contact someone without their boss' consent.
Management : in my first position I had 5 different managers in 1.5 years. The staff stayed for 6 months on average. In my second position I reported to 3 managers over 2 years of service, each introducing new rules and approaches contradicting previous settings.
Colleagues are great in all locations!
I did what my colleagues before me: I got the qualifications at Elseviers' costs and run away to another company where I am finally well paid.
Pros
great cantine, great co-workers, trainings
Cons
management turnover, beaurocracy
Big global company
Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 19, 2016
Co-workers are very loyal to the company and it was fun working with them for 20+ years. Some of the management staff have favorites within the office and make it obvious. Sometimes you did not have clear direction on how to do the job completely.
Terrible place to work
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  KidlingtonFebruary 1, 2016
Awful culture as well as 1950's style management. Evil company from the outside in, very low ethics and willingness to outsource everything.
Excellent Co to Work With
Global Progran Manager ERP (Current Employee) –  Rio de Janerio BrasilMay 19, 2016
Excellent No complaints Would work there perm if they had an opening. People, environment etc

Excellent Excellent Excellent
Cons
Great place to work, people oriented
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 14, 2013
Work independently, review transactions and provide feed back to avoid further errors in subscription fulfillment, company provided opportunities for advancement, learn statistics, updated systems for subscriptions fulfillment, Magic Coach. Management support new possible ways to develop teams or an individual, co workers maintain a good and friendly environment.
The hardest part of the job was when our jobs went outsource to India and we have to leave.
Elsevier had great benefits and used to maintain workers motivated
Pros
customer service week
Cons
communication
Learning company
Technical Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  北京市April 14, 2016
I am in charge of social media channel of Elsevier China area, so I when I arrive the office, I start to search any possible source for our weibo post. Typically, they are from scientific papers on ScienceDirect, a leading paper library product of Elsevier, Elsevier Connect, and other publishing materials. I need read through all the professional messages and translate the content into Chinese, then post. There are around 6 to 7 posts per day.

Then, I need to look into the SEO/SEM/PPC issues inside weibo account. I launch 2 to 3 promotion plans a month.

In the afternoon, when all the daily weibo affairs are settled down, I start to update elsevier webpages, including journal homepages, elsevier subject pages, awards and exhibition pages. Sometimes I help to create email campaign templates, and create and upload web banners through Google DFP.

Since I was a green hand when I start this job, all the processes are learned from the daily work. I learned much, from the skills to the social methods within a working environment. But I like learn new things.

I think to manage, it means making every worker works for the best profit of the company and use existing and potential resources to expand the company's influence.

My co-workers are nice actually. The environment of Elsevier are friendly. The only bad thing I would like to indicate is that the publishing industry is too easeful. I want learn more compared than mycurrent status.
Great work life balance
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 15, 2016
Great place to work but the benefits and comp could be better. Management is great! People are great. vcbcvbcxn cvmvxc nv v vc
Pros
work life balance
Cons
compensation, benefits
Good company
Inside Account Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2016
Work hard and you will be rewarded.
Great Co-workers
Great management
My customers and winning are the most enjoyable part of my job.
Cons
instability, too many changes to comp plans.
Cool company in the midst of significant changes
SENIOR MANAGER OF CREATIVE SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 8, 2013
Elsevier is arguably the leading healthcare publisher worldwide, with a commanding portfolio encompassing a lot of the most respected references and textbooks in medicine, nursing, and allied health. Like all publishers, it is in the midst of monumental change, transitioning from traditional print publishing to new online and electronic information sources, and its survival will depend on how successfully it undergoes this transition. With that said, the people are great, the benefits are very good, and I had a good run there.
Pros
fairly stable, good work-life balance.