Elkay Manufacturing Company

Elkay Manufacturing Company Employee Reviews

ambiente de trabajo no muy buena!!!
Warehouse Loader (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CO20 June 2017
Pienso q la direction Asia Los trabajadores no es muy Buena!!!
Pros
seguromedico bueno
Cons
no hay mucho descanso!!!
Very productive
Finisher/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Waconia, MN15 June 2017
Great work place, very friendly environment, clean work environment, very productive, meets quotas on a timely manner, breaks often, makes sure you have all your gear for daily work needs, everyone has the same goals
Pros
Break often
Cons
Walk from parking lot to the building
Excellent workplace!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, IL22 May 2017
I love working at Elkay! The people are friendly and helpful to one another. The culture supports a high level of empowerment. It is a culture of integrity. I would recommend it highly!
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Growing company so a lot of work to do - but this means opportunity as well
The company and management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Oakbrook, IL21 May 2017
Elkay was draining on my life, stressful. Management was truly unfair. The company only hired non-minority. Nothing but pure prejudice. Unprofessional
Pros
Only the hour lunch
Cons
Sneaky micro-managing
Everybody is lost
Pump Room Operator (Former Employee) –  Ringgold, VA16 May 2017
Decent place to work. I wouldnt try to make it a permanent job. Only about a handful of management is fair. Handful meaning about 5%. Full liars and thieves, Make the best out of it.
benefits
Cons
too many to name
Good people
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CO27 April 2017
Company had two shifts work was great learned a lot the people was very friendly we got reward every month the only problem was that the pay rate was a little to low
Awful company with terrible management
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  New Ulm, MN10 March 2017
Worked 4 years at the New Ulm location only to see many of my hard working coworkers walk out the door before I soon followed. Very high rate of turnover due to the terrible management and clueless supervisors at the New Ulm location. Lots of bickering and arguing between the two shifts during the overlap at shift change. The two shifts were never on the same page with how things should get done, and always pointing fingers and trash talking the opposite crew instead of pulling together and working as a team. Just lots of BS and drama and gossip about the other employees. I'd never go back to Elkay.
Pros
The pay and benefits were good.
Cons
Everything else
production
SPRAYER (Former Employee) –  South Hill, VA7 March 2017
a typical workday is started with a safety meeting.
i learned how to match colors for cabinets (shade colors to match if needed), also i learned to look for defectsin wood as well as those done in the finishing room to include but not limited to splits, holes, runs, rough sanding etc,
workplace culture was fair at times it was stressful
hardest part was last minute overtime
most enjoyable learning new things and meeting new people
Great Job
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Broadview, IL25 January 2017
Elkay Manufacturing Company is a great company to work/intern at. I learned so much about the real world from interning there. The people working there are very friendly and helpful. Elkay Manufacturing Company has a good working culture that really cultivates people to perform to their fullest potential.
Pros
Many fun sponsored events
Cons
N/a
I LOVED working at the Waconia plant!!
Panel Packer (Former Employee) –  Waconia, MN12 July 2016
There is little negative I can say about Elkay - Waconia. It was absolutely in my top 3 favorite jobs and I wish with all my heart that I could have stayed there. The upper management did try and give decent notice of OT needs (Saturdays) and departments Leads were good enough at getting the management info down to the production workers. The plant manager gets a lot of flack but I personally thought he was a good guy that had a tough job trying to please a tough crowd. My direct supervisor, on the other hand, is the reason I wont give a 5 star review. He directly destroyed my transfer to a different Elkay facility for reasons unknown, which caused severe difficulties for my family that could prove to be devastating.

I loved being in Accessory Pack and working with the shipping crew. You won't find a better group or a more diverse group of people.

Door pick and Face frames was amazing! Working in the whitewood area was something new an different daily.... Same basic skills but never the same nor boring.

Elkay - Waconia also has one of the best training programs for the employees I have seen outside of military schooling. Its pretty newly implemented but has made all the difference in the world to the employees.
Pros
Great people to work with, decent wage with regular raises, acceptable benefits
Cons
Corporate-Management-Production communication gaps; beware of direct supervisors
Horrible place to work!
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Culver, IN30 June 2016
Fired me when I needed a week off after a car accident that was not my fault. I broke my arm and couldn't have a cast put on for a week. Needed a week to recover and was an hour shy of vacation to save my job. Told me to re apply after 30 days and they would get me back in. Then refused to answer my phone calls or talk to me. Sent my lawyer my lost wages for 2 days and basically made it sound like I quit! Management is horrible!!! Kept 2 girls that got arrested for meth and let them keep their jobs cuz they were buddy buddy with the supervisor. But yet couldn't work with me!
worst job i have ever worked for!!!
assembly line worker (Former Employee) –  Savanna, IL14 June 2016
It started out great. They put on a great show at the beginning. And make u feel like they really care about u. Don't be fooled they don't care. After about a month or so u r not important. Management is horrible big time. They say to go to ur supervisor if there is any problems. Good luck with that. U r wasting ur time they will do nothing. Everyone has next to kin so if u don't... watch ur back cause u r nobody. U can bust ur butt everyday and be the best worker but if someone don't like u or 1 of their family members don't ur done. They offer benefits but the health ins. Is very high. And if u don't mind giving up ur whole summer life well then it's the job 4 u. The pay is not good. They say u r on a pay scale for raises but good luck with that. U might see 1 pay raise right off the bat to make it look good but good luck seeing another 1. U bust ur butt 4 very little pay. Some people r great people but the majority of the people r rude, snooty, and act as if they own the ground they walk on. No teamwork at all, very unorganized and u can never find the tools u need. Also machines break down constantly but if u don't get ur rate out...it's all ur fault. They don't care if the machines r broke down or u don't have the tools. I could go on And on about how horrible of a place this is. I have worked factory for 20 yrs and no company is perfect and they all have their issues but this place is by far the worst I have ever experienced in 20 yrs.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
everything about this place
so much drama
production worker (Former Employee) –  culver, IN11 May 2015
Corporate makes a good sell for how awesome it is to work for their company, they're con artists. Was told I'd be working 8 hr shifts and no saturdays. First week we were working 11 hr shifts and saturday. Talking to the other employees they all said how much they hated it there and the only reason to stay was for the benefits NOT the pay which is mediocre for the work done. I have never seen so many cliques in a workplace before, the day I started I was inundated with multiple people talking about who I should associate with and who not to. Then production started and while a few people worked very hard others would walk off the line and not come back for hours. No one cared about the product, they would chase each other with air hoses etc. playing around seemed to be priority and I knew it was pointless to tell management as the team leader was running around giggling with them. I honestly don't know how anything gets accomplished there. Worst organization I've ever worked for.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
everything else
family owned business offerring a great workplace
Vice President, Operations & Global Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, IL5 November 2014
Easy work environment and great people. Learned a lot about how family owned business operates and also the consumer products industry.
Summer Help
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Savanna, IL12 October 2014
Worked for summer help. Learned how a company works from the lowest level and the concerns of workers.
Poor Management
Employees (Current Employee) –  Lumberton NC28 September 2013
Company talks a good game of loyalty and culture but will not support their team members or leaders if a mistake is made. Terrible Human Resources department that looks for drama instead of preventing it and no support for employees
Pros
Floor employees
Cons
Poor leadership / Terrible Human Resource Department
Short term focused leadership
Business (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook24 September 2013
Leadership team is short term focused - only concerned about current fiscal year - almost like they are preparing the company for sale or acquisition. Mis-managed ERP implementation process cost millions of dollars and dozens of jobs. The goal of ERP and the integration of 2 divisions into one was never fully realized so now they are stuck with an poorly working, non-customer friendly vanilla system. Regardless of what they say, they are preparing to sell the company - so continue to expect re-organizations on a yearly basis.
Pros
Christmas Bonus
Cons
Mis-guided focus
Great company to work for.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Lanark, IL14 February 2013
A company with good direction and opportunities. Staff is well trained. Safety is a top priority.
Management is clueless
Floor worker (Former Employee) –  USA11 February 2013
Lazy 1st shift, leaving night shift with half the workers as days to do everything. Management fails to see that 2nd shift is getting more work done than the 1st shift. Also a constant war between the two. Bad training especially in the type of wood and defaults to look for in the product. Every other week on overtime because they can't keep up with the work and have more rework than the actual orders. Constantly on one shift so if you're on nights kiss your life goodbye.
benefits
Cons
no one cares about the work, management does listen
Good Company with strong values and commitment to giving back.
Project Management (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, IL4 January 2013
The company has been around for 90+ years, and is committed to being in business "forever" -- when was the last time you heard of such a thing? The business is run with that notion in mind -- decisions are made based on long term impact (not just how the company is doing in a particular quarter which is so often the case in publicly traded companies). The company values are central to the culture - they are often cited as the main reason why a particular decision has been made. Leadership is a mixture of long term employees and newer folks who have brought experiences from other successful companies. This mixture keeps the culture strong, while making it easier to be innovative. The economy these past few years has had a huge impact on the company (and the industry) -- and this has made for a rough time the past couple of years - not as much opportunity for career growth, etc. But the company has made it through, unlike many of their competitors. This too shall pass, I would say. One nice thing -- in keeping with the values, the company puts an emphasis on giving back to the community -- they pay employees for volunteer time off, and donate to a number of charities based on the giving choices the employees have made. Good people. Good company.
Pros
good people. stable. good pay and benefits. work life balance. socially responsible.
Cons
tight purse strings due to economic downturn. can be tough on very ambitious types...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elkay Manufacturing Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9