Elkay Manufacturing Company

Elkay Manufacturing Company Employee Reviews

I LOVED working at the Waconia plant!!
Panel Packer (Former Employee) –  Waconia, MN12 July 2016
There is little negative I can say about Elkay - Waconia. It was absolutely in my top 3 favorite jobs and I wish with all my heart that I could have stayed there. The upper management did try and give decent notice of OT needs (Saturdays) and departments Leads were good enough at getting the management info down to the production workers. The plant manager gets a lot of flack but I personally thought he was a good guy that had a tough job trying to please a tough crowd. My direct supervisor, on the other hand, is the reason I wont give a 5 star review. He directly destroyed my transfer to a different Elkay facility for reasons unknown, which caused severe difficulties for my family that could prove to be devastating.

I loved being in Accessory Pack and working with the shipping crew. You won't find a better group or a more diverse group of people.

Door pick and Face frames was amazing! Working in the whitewood area was something new an different daily.... Same basic skills but never the same nor boring.

Elkay - Waconia also has one of the best training programs for the employees I have seen outside of military schooling. Its pretty newly implemented but has made all the difference in the world to the employees.
Pros
Great people to work with, decent wage with regular raises, acceptable benefits
Cons
Corporate-Management-Production communication gaps; beware of direct supervisors
Horrible place to work!
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Culver, IN30 June 2016
Fired me when I needed a week off after a car accident that was not my fault. I broke my arm and couldn't have a cast put on for a week. Needed a week to recover and was an hour shy of vacation to save my job. Told me to re apply after 30 days and they would get me back in. Then refused to answer my phone calls or talk to me. Sent my lawyer my lost wages for 2 days and basically made it sound like I quit! Management is horrible!!! Kept 2 girls that got arrested for meth and let them keep their jobs cuz they were buddy buddy with the supervisor. But yet couldn't work with me!
so much drama
production worker (Former Employee) –  culver, IN11 May 2015
Corporate makes a good sell for how awesome it is to work for their company, they're con artists. Was told I'd be working 8 hr shifts and no saturdays. First week we were working 11 hr shifts and saturday. Talking to the other employees they all said how much they hated it there and the only reason to stay was for the benefits NOT the pay which is mediocre for the work done. I have never seen so many cliques in a workplace before, the day I started I was inundated with multiple people talking about who I should associate with and who not to. Then production started and while a few people worked very hard others would walk off the line and not come back for hours. No one cared about the product, they would chase each other with air hoses etc. playing around seemed to be priority and I knew it was pointless to tell management as the team leader was running around giggling with them. I honestly don't know how anything gets accomplished there. Worst organization I've ever worked for.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
everything else
family owned business offerring a great workplace
Vice President, Operations & Global Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, IL5 November 2014
Easy work environment and great people. Learned a lot about how family owned business operates and also the consumer products industry.
Summer Help
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Savanna, IL12 October 2014
Worked for summer help. Learned how a company works from the lowest level and the concerns of workers.
Poor Management
Employees (Current Employee) –  Lumberton NC28 September 2013
Company talks a good game of loyalty and culture but will not support their team members or leaders if a mistake is made. Terrible Human Resources department that looks for drama instead of preventing it and no support for employees
Pros
Floor employees
Cons
Poor leadership / Terrible Human Resource Department
Short term focused leadership
Business (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook24 September 2013
Leadership team is short term focused - only concerned about current fiscal year - almost like they are preparing the company for sale or acquisition. Mis-managed ERP implementation process cost millions of dollars and dozens of jobs. The goal of ERP and the integration of 2 divisions into one was never fully realized so now they are stuck with an poorly working, non-customer friendly vanilla system. Regardless of what they say, they are preparing to sell the company - so continue to expect re-organizations on a yearly basis.
Pros
Christmas Bonus
Cons
Mis-guided focus
Great company to work for.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Lanark, IL14 February 2013
A company with good direction and opportunities. Staff is well trained. Safety is a top priority.
Management is clueless
Floor worker (Former Employee) –  USA11 February 2013
Lazy 1st shift, leaving night shift with half the workers as days to do everything. Management fails to see that 2nd shift is getting more work done than the 1st shift. Also a constant war between the two. Bad training especially in the type of wood and defaults to look for in the product. Every other week on overtime because they can't keep up with the work and have more rework than the actual orders. Constantly on one shift so if you're on nights kiss your life goodbye.
benefits
Cons
no one cares about the work, management does listen
Good Company with strong values and commitment to giving back.
Project Management (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, IL4 January 2013
The company has been around for 90+ years, and is committed to being in business "forever" -- when was the last time you heard of such a thing? The business is run with that notion in mind -- decisions are made based on long term impact (not just how the company is doing in a particular quarter which is so often the case in publicly traded companies). The company values are central to the culture - they are often cited as the main reason why a particular decision has been made. Leadership is a mixture of long term employees and newer folks who have brought experiences from other successful companies. This mixture keeps the culture strong, while making it easier to be innovative. The economy these past few years has had a huge impact on the company (and the industry) -- and this has made for a rough time the past couple of years - not as much opportunity for career growth, etc. But the company has made it through, unlike many of their competitors. This too shall pass, I would say. One nice thing -- in keeping with the values, the company puts an emphasis on giving back to the community -- they pay employees for volunteer time off, and donate to a number of charities based on the giving choices the employees have made. Good people. Good company.
Pros
good people. stable. good pay and benefits. work life balance. socially responsible.
Cons
tight purse strings due to economic downturn. can be tough on very ambitious types...
corporate and their undermen are horrible
Operator (Former Employee) –  Savanna, Il3 December 2012
I've been repeatedly harassed only to be wrote up for someone else's grade school like actions. I was wrote up while in training for lack of knowledge (due to poor/minimal training). Their training isn't very well planned out what-so-ever. I have watched multiple people walk out of the factory due to the companies inability to see that we are people, not robots. Corporate refuses to purchase us properly running, and much needed equipment. I could go on and on and have almost nothing nice to say.
Pros
some coworkers are nice.... that is all. :-\
Cons
much of management is clueless from corporate down to the group leaders.
Cutting edge product but poor management
Sales Management (Former Employee) –  Northeast25 November 2012
The cabinet side needs to be completely restructured. Plumbing personnel are not qualified to manage cabinetry! Current team needs to be replaced!!!
Pros
innovated products, top pay
Cons
clueless upper management who don't know the business or how it works.
Family Business Gone Corporate
Manager (Former Employee) –  USA27 October 2012
Elimination of long-term knowledgeable employees, New errogant corporate henchmen leadership, sacrificing of core values, Less personal, Environment that promotes people that do and say what it takes to get promoted instead of what's best for the company, lot's of employee turn-over, top heavy detached corporate structure, pay and benefits are very good, there are still some good people left getting things done.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
top management
Nice place to work.
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, IL19 October 2012
Nice place to work . Great place tp work. Love it.Sr. Finance manager with strategic financial planning and analysis, financial reporting, and budgeting & forecasting expertise at division and corporate level. Strong background in working with the sales and business unit teams to ensure trade dollars are properly leveraged to drive profitable growth. Strengths include capital budgeting, risk analysis, project valuation, cost accounting, transfer pricing, and due diligence. Solid technical working knowledge of U.S. GAAP and general knowledge of IFRS. System implementation experience (end-user) including SAP, Oracle, and PeopleSoft. Advanced proficiency in Excel and Access.

2.9