Electronic Arts Employee Reviews

Contract Related
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE7 December 2015
1 year contract with no advancement. Was told 4 days before my contract ended it wouldn't be renewed. Management was/is harsh, no opportunities to advance.
Enjoyed it Immensely
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 March 2015
It was, by far, my favourite job. I learned so much and the co-workers and management were especially nice and understanding.

At first it was difficult to understand the jargons used by programmer and designer, but eventually I became use to it and learned to communicate more efficiently since I had questions about whether or not certain designs were actually graphical issues or if certain perceive bugs are actually a new feature.
Great Work Life Balance
QA Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 March 2015
In all my years of being with EA, I'm still with EA because it really understands the importance of its team members. We treat each other with respect and the attitude is always professional and we foster working as a team.

The people at EA make coming to work a pleasure!
Software Engineer
Mobile Programmer Generalist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 February 2015
Pros
Reasonable salary.
Great benefits.
Free breakfast.
Work/life balance is good when management didn't go wrong.

Cons
Lack of career advancement opportunities.
Unstable company structure. Studios get closed often.

Advice to Management
Closing down studios should not be the universal solution to cover up upper management failure.
Very casual, enjoyable place to be, work is actually quite fun
Beta Tester and Pro Clubs Online Team (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada2 February 2015
Playing sets of the video game for 4 hours, running through "metrics" to test for game stability. Learned valuable lessons in teamwork. Management was great, lots of time speaking to project leads and developers. Co-workers were all friendly and fun people to talk to. After being off work for months, I still talk to many of them. Hardest part of the job was getting used to the lingo used and the Devtracker program. The most enjoyable part was it felt like, for the most part, that you were just playing games with your buddies for a few hours everyday.
Pros
Playing Video games and being paid for it, Nice people, Nice Atmosphere
Cons
Expensive foods, difficult position to get into
Fun work place
International Tester (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC22 September 2014
Great company to work for.
Sometimes long hours but they make it fund and you dont even feel it.!
Pros
Free lunch or dinner
Cons
Sometimes long hours
had fun
Playtest Member (Former Employee) –  burnaby18 June 2014
i was a playtest member at EA games which basically was a volunteer job.

upon completing a survey i was called upon to test an unreleased videogame they provided us with snacks and drinks
Pros
free lunch
Coin toss
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC14 May 2014
You could very well join EA and have an experience that is completely positive. The company is so large that individual experience will vary wildly. In my case, the job was not a good fit, and I found several team members' conducts to be completely unprofessional, aggressive and rude.
EA Summary
Talent Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 March 2014
The environment at EA is great - very fast paced and demanding, but extremely rewarding.
I've learned a great deal about time management, recruiting, balancing priorities and overall HR.
The team dynamic is wonderful - coming into work knowing that I will have a long list of demanding things to take care of, but have an incredibly supportive team backing me up is wonderful!
We work hard, and we play hard.
Enjoyable work with a good crew of people.
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  3 Pl Ville Marie21 February 2014
I'd start my day receiving a device (cell phone, tablet etc.) with a specific application to test. Once the app has been played through, we were required to complete checklists making sure they were fit to be released to the public. The atmosphere was nice and quiet, and my coworkers were also very helpful. We worked at our own paces, and we were able to do some internet browsing in between tasks and on our breaks. Sadly the department closed down due to a lot bad decision making made by EA.
Pros
Lots a breaks, easy work, quiet environment.
Cons
Pay was mediocre
Productive, Expectations of hard work yet FUN!
Development Director - FIFA Franchise (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 January 2014
Great place to work, amazing amenities (gym, pilates/yoga classes, cafeteria, arcades on-campus). Some of my best mentors are from EA, they have great managers and leaders there. Every year the franchised product needs to get out the door, so there is no room for "time wasting" which taught be a lot about failing fast and recovering quickly. Making mistakes was encouraged as long as they were learned from. Amazing coworkers and team camaraderie and team building activities to ensure people were "gelling" throughout the project lifecycle. Work/life balanced has improved incredibly at EA, they're not given enough credit for this.
Pros
Campus Amenities, great people/team collaboration
Cons
Very little room for "process improvement", structure already set in place, can be political at times.
Wrong people in wrong positions
Producer \ Designer EA Sports (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 December 2013
My workday was mostly herding cats. Trying to get a dozen people with a dozen different agendas to get in the same room at the same time to get them to agree on something so I could move the project forward. Impossible.

The wrong people are in management. When I worked there, the president of the company was, literally, a former ice cream salesman. Zero background in the game industry.

And like him, one of my managers was a former lawyer. No background in gaming, No design experience. Do development experience. No knowledge of North American sports. Barely knew how to use a web browser. Every project he'd ever been put in charge of at EA was an unmitigated disaster. Yet he was a senior product for for 3 years. Now he's one of EA's Vice Presidents!!

Innovative ideas scare them. Don't go to any manager with an idea that might be risky.
Pros
They have pinball machines in the lunch room
Cons
See review.
Great campus, lots of cool events. Company structure is overly complicated, individuals are often marginalised.
Member of the creative team (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 November 2013
While it was fun to work at EAC on good days, bad days consisted of mass layoffs, rushed designs and inadequate staffing.
Pros
Good atmosphere, great games, large teams, exciting subject matter
Cons
Layoffs, poor advancement model
Fun and vibrant workplace
Assistant Producer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 September 2013
Great perks, awesome location, great people.

I've learned a lot in my position and from everyone around me, management is friendly and mostly transparent. Everyone you work with is vibrant and competent.

There are the occasional long hours and frustrating experiences, and the contracts position are pretty much majority nowadays.

But overall a great place to be.
Pros
Free gym, sports
Cons
Long hours, uncertainly, lots ot turnaround
Great company to work for and grow at
Vendor Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 April 2013
A great company to work for. They provide flexibility as long as the work gets done. The appreciate work hard and play hard.

There are lots of facilities on site such as: gym, soccer field, beach volleyball, yoga studio, library, Starbucks, cafeteria, etc.
Pros
work schedule flexibility. on site facilities such as: gym, soccer field, beach volleyball, yoga studio, library, starbucks, cafeteria, etc.
Cons
n/a
Productive and inspirational work place
QA for Artworks (Former Employee) –  Canada, Burnaby19 February 2013
Work really had a balance between work hard and play fun. The Culture of EA really shines, as they reward their employees for hard work through fun times. The entire studio is basking with inspiration, surrounded by the video games and art of which cause us to be who we are. Really nothing but good things to say about this environment. However, the job security and salary distribution is very selective.
Pros
fun environment, great people
Cons
selective security and salary distrubution
Productive and fun workplace
Quality Assurance Tester (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 January 2013
Job Duties:
- In charge of the EA applications functionality testing
- Use of multiple checklists covering internal certification and third party certification
- Formed for iOS and Android platforms
- Use of JIRA and Devtrack as tools for Bug management

Work Environment:
- Very relaxing and productive environment
- Employee's work is valued
- Nice team and people to work with
Pros
highly collaborative and enjoyable team environment
Cons
part-time job
Sometimes productive
Development Tester (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 October 2012
Most of the times there could be little to do in terms of task. People are generally pretty nice and time is flexible. I learned to what it is to work with different departments at once (programmers, testers, certification). The hardest part of the job is probably to get everyone together on the same page as some tasks require a lot of different people and devices.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not challenging enough
User Experience Designer (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QC24 October 2012
I find EA to be a great place to work.

The environment is very relaxing and you are working on fund projects!
Pros
working remotely, pay, the people
Cons
advancing in your career
Great place to start a career.
GOS QA (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 September 2012
Friendly team and management, large building suited for all types of lifestyles, and great perks and benefits. I've learned a lot from EA, things that schools just can't teach you. My co-workers are helpful and nice, management listens to you and care for your personal life as well. Although, there are hard times. I have to do over-time quite frequently and many times, there are extremely tight deadlines. But work does provide many things that definitely make up for that. Such as: discount movie passes, a gym and etc.
Pros
discount movie passes, a full gym and outdoor soccer field, high end technology
Cons
overtime, extremely tight deadlines

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Electronic Arts. Our community is ready to answer.