Electronic Arts Employee Reviews

Productive, Expectations of hard work yet FUN!
Development Director - FIFA Franchise (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 January 2014
Great place to work, amazing amenities (gym, pilates/yoga classes, cafeteria, arcades on-campus). Some of my best mentors are from EA, they have great managers and leaders there. Every year the franchised product needs to get out the door, so there is no room for "time wasting" which taught be a lot about failing fast and recovering quickly. Making mistakes was encouraged as long as they were learned from. Amazing coworkers and team camaraderie and team building activities to ensure people were "gelling" throughout the project lifecycle. Work/life balanced has improved incredibly at EA, they're not given enough credit for this.
Pros
Campus Amenities, great people/team collaboration
Cons
Very little room for "process improvement", structure already set in place, can be political at times.
Wrong people in wrong positions
Producer \ Designer EA Sports (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 December 2013
My workday was mostly herding cats. Trying to get a dozen people with a dozen different agendas to get in the same room at the same time to get them to agree on something so I could move the project forward. Impossible.

The wrong people are in management. When I worked there, the president of the company was, literally, a former ice cream salesman. Zero background in the game industry.

And like him, one of my managers was a former lawyer. No background in gaming, No design experience. Do development experience. No knowledge of North American sports. Barely knew how to use a web browser. Every project he'd ever been put in charge of at EA was an unmitigated disaster. Yet he was a senior product for for 3 years. Now he's one of EA's Vice Presidents!!

Innovative ideas scare them. Don't go to any manager with an idea that might be risky.
Pros
They have pinball machines in the lunch room
Cons
See review.
Great campus, lots of cool events. Company structure is overly complicated, individuals are often marginalised.
Member of the creative team (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 November 2013
While it was fun to work at EAC on good days, bad days consisted of mass layoffs, rushed designs and inadequate staffing.
Pros
Good atmosphere, great games, large teams, exciting subject matter
Cons
Layoffs, poor advancement model
Fun and vibrant workplace
Assistant Producer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 September 2013
Great perks, awesome location, great people.

I've learned a lot in my position and from everyone around me, management is friendly and mostly transparent. Everyone you work with is vibrant and competent.

There are the occasional long hours and frustrating experiences, and the contracts position are pretty much majority nowadays.

But overall a great place to be.
Pros
Free gym, sports
Cons
Long hours, uncertainly, lots ot turnaround
Great company to work for and grow at
Vendor Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 April 2013
A great company to work for. They provide flexibility as long as the work gets done. The appreciate work hard and play hard.

There are lots of facilities on site such as: gym, soccer field, beach volleyball, yoga studio, library, Starbucks, cafeteria, etc.
Pros
work schedule flexibility. on site facilities such as: gym, soccer field, beach volleyball, yoga studio, library, starbucks, cafeteria, etc.
Cons
n/a
Productive and inspirational work place
QA for Artworks (Former Employee) –  Canada, Burnaby19 February 2013
Work really had a balance between work hard and play fun. The Culture of EA really shines, as they reward their employees for hard work through fun times. The entire studio is basking with inspiration, surrounded by the video games and art of which cause us to be who we are. Really nothing but good things to say about this environment. However, the job security and salary distribution is very selective.
Pros
fun environment, great people
Cons
selective security and salary distrubution
Productive and fun workplace
Quality Assurance Tester (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 January 2013
Job Duties:
- In charge of the EA applications functionality testing
- Use of multiple checklists covering internal certification and third party certification
- Formed for iOS and Android platforms
- Use of JIRA and Devtrack as tools for Bug management

Work Environment:
- Very relaxing and productive environment
- Employee's work is valued
- Nice team and people to work with
Pros
highly collaborative and enjoyable team environment
Cons
part-time job
Sometimes productive
Development Tester (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 October 2012
Most of the times there could be little to do in terms of task. People are generally pretty nice and time is flexible. I learned to what it is to work with different departments at once (programmers, testers, certification). The hardest part of the job is probably to get everyone together on the same page as some tasks require a lot of different people and devices.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not challenging enough
User Experience Designer (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QC24 October 2012
I find EA to be a great place to work.

The environment is very relaxing and you are working on fund projects!
Pros
working remotely, pay, the people
Cons
advancing in your career
Great place to start a career.
GOS QA (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 September 2012
Friendly team and management, large building suited for all types of lifestyles, and great perks and benefits. I've learned a lot from EA, things that schools just can't teach you. My co-workers are helpful and nice, management listens to you and care for your personal life as well. Although, there are hard times. I have to do over-time quite frequently and many times, there are extremely tight deadlines. But work does provide many things that definitely make up for that. Such as: discount movie passes, a gym and etc.
Pros
discount movie passes, a full gym and outdoor soccer field, high end technology
Cons
overtime, extremely tight deadlines
Development tester (Quality Assurance)
Quality Assurance (Development-Tester) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 August 2015
A typical day at Electronic Arts consisted of my supervisors giving me the software and electronics needed to preform my test cases and then i was to report the results directly to them before entering the information into our international database so other development testers in labs around the world were able to learn what the information entered.

my management were very nice when it came to work and giving me the space i needed to properly do my work without distractions so that i was able to be efficient with my tasks.

the most difficult part of the job at times was getting used to a new type of software or device i had never encountered before.

my favorite part of my job was the team i was working with, it didnt feel as if i was at work it felt like i was working with a group of friends not with a group of co-workers.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
sometimes the work load was unfairly balanced.
Great work place
Associate Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 July 2015
Excellent work environment. Engineers work hard to solve difficult problems while maintaining the quality of the products. Work hours are flexible. Most teams operate with an agile mindset and iterative lifecycle.
Pros
Great team, great people
Cons
Gaming industry can be taxing