Electronic Arts Employee Reviews in Canada

Contract Related
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEDecember 7, 2015
1 year contract with no advancement. Was told 4 days before my contract ended it wouldn't be renewed. Management was/is harsh, no opportunities to advance.
Man do I miss it.
Senior QA tester - Fifa 14 (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 24, 2016
I worked at EA for a little over 3 months, right out of the gate from VFS, I have nothing but good memories of them, people from other teams were always polite, the facilities were phenomenal, and it was always such a great feeling to pull into the parking lot everyday, as a work place EA Burnaby is easily on top of all others.
Pros
In building cafe, Gym, basketball court, soccer field, arcade, showers.
Cons
the days ended exactly when the traffic was the heaviest
Productive and fun workplace
Technical Artist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 7, 2016
I spend two years working in EA. It is a great opportunity for me to work there. I learned a lot in that company. Although I did not play so many video games during my life. I heard a lot from my friends about how enjoy when they are playing video games. The company have great leadership and life work balance. I learned a lot from my co-workers who like to play video games.
Fun experience, cool atmosphere.
Volunteer video game tester at Electronic Arts (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 8, 2016
The typical day would include me arriving at 15 minutes before a scheduled time to sign in with the front desk, then going on to participate in surveys as well as play new content and give feedback which may help game developers.
Pros
Free lunch, Short hours
Software Engineer
Mobile Programmer Generalist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 27, 2015
Pros
Reasonable salary.
Great benefits.
Free breakfast.
Work/life balance is good when management didn't go wrong.

Cons
Lack of career advancement opportunities.
Unstable company structure. Studios get closed often.

Advice to Management
Closing down studios should not be the universal solution to cover up upper management failure.
Nice culture company
Assistant Lighter (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 28, 2016
Nice Culture
Free Foods
Easy job, but quite boring work if you want to challenge yourself don't work here
EA Game discount for employee
You can bring your dog to office
Good overall experience
Tester in the QA department (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 23, 2015
Working in the mobile department has helped me understand mobile devices more deeply. It was a great part time job. It was a bit hard a t first since testing was always done on a different device, but you get used to it.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
Limited tools
Productive and inspirational work place
QA for Artworks (Former Employee) –  Canada, BurnabyFebruary 19, 2013
Work really had a balance between work hard and play fun. The Culture of EA really shines, as they reward their employees for hard work through fun times. The entire studio is basking with inspiration, surrounded by the video games and art of which cause us to be who we are. Really nothing but good things to say about this environment. However, the job security and salary distribution is very selective.
Pros
fun environment, great people
Cons
selective security and salary distrubution
Very casual, enjoyable place to be, work is actually quite fun
Beta Tester and Pro Clubs Online Team (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, British Columbia, CanadaFebruary 2, 2015
Playing sets of the video game for 4 hours, running through "metrics" to test for game stability. Learned valuable lessons in teamwork. Management was great, lots of time speaking to project leads and developers. Co-workers were all friendly and fun people to talk to. After being off work for months, I still talk to many of them. Hardest part of the job was getting used to the lingo used and the Devtracker program. The most enjoyable part was it felt like, for the most part, that you were just playing games with your buddies for a few hours everyday.
Pros
playing video games and being paid for it, nice people, nice atmosphere
Cons
expensive foods, difficult position to get into
Enjoyed it Immensely
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMarch 17, 2015
It was, by far, my favourite job. I learned so much and the co-workers and management were especially nice and understanding.

At first it was difficult to understand the jargons used by programmer and designer, but eventually I became use to it and learned to communicate more efficiently since I had questions about whether or not certain designs were actually graphical issues or if certain perceive bugs are actually a new feature.
Fun and vibrant workplace
Assistant Producer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 21, 2013
Great perks, awesome location, great people.

I've learned a lot in my position and from everyone around me, management is friendly and mostly transparent. Everyone you work with is vibrant and competent.

There are the occasional long hours and frustrating experiences, and the contracts position are pretty much majority nowadays.

But overall a great place to be.
Pros
free gym, sports
Cons
long hours, uncertainly, lots ot turnaround
EA Summary
Talent Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMarch 25, 2014
The environment at EA is great - very fast paced and demanding, but extremely rewarding.
I've learned a great deal about time management, recruiting, balancing priorities and overall HR.
The team dynamic is wonderful - coming into work knowing that I will have a long list of demanding things to take care of, but have an incredibly supportive team backing me up is wonderful!
We work hard, and we play hard.
Productive, Expectations of hard work yet FUN!
Development Director - FIFA Franchise (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJanuary 12, 2014
Great place to work, amazing amenities (gym, pilates/yoga classes, cafeteria, arcades on-campus). Some of my best mentors are from EA, they have great managers and leaders there. Every year the franchised product needs to get out the door, so there is no room for "time wasting" which taught be a lot about failing fast and recovering quickly. Making mistakes was encouraged as long as they were learned from. Amazing coworkers and team camaraderie and team building activities to ensure people were "gelling" throughout the project lifecycle. Work/life balanced has improved incredibly at EA, they're not given enough credit for this.
Pros
campus amenities, great people/team collaboration
Cons
very little room for "process improvement", structure already set in place, can be political at times.
Wrong people in wrong positions
Producer \ Designer EA Sports (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 23, 2013
My workday was mostly herding cats. Trying to get a dozen people with a dozen different agendas to get in the same room at the same time to get them to agree on something so I could move the project forward. Impossible.

The wrong people are in management. When I worked there, the president of the company was, literally, a former ice cream salesman. Zero background in the game industry.

And like him, one of my managers was a former lawyer. No background in gaming, No design experience. Do development experience. No knowledge of North American sports. Barely knew how to use a web browser. Every project he'd ever been put in charge of at EA was an unmitigated disaster. Yet he was a senior product for for 3 years. Now he's one of EA's Vice Presidents!!

Innovative ideas scare them. Don't go to any manager with an idea that might be risky.
Pros
they have pinball machines in the lunch room
Cons
see review.
Fun work place
International Tester (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 22, 2014
Great company to work for.
Sometimes long hours but they make it fund and you dont even feel it.!
Pros
free lunch or dinner
Cons
sometimes long hours
Great campus, lots of cool events. Company structure is overly complicated, individuals are often marginalised.
Member of the creative team (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCNovember 29, 2013
While it was fun to work at EAC on good days, bad days consisted of mass layoffs, rushed designs and inadequate staffing.
Pros
good atmosphere, great games, large teams, exciting subject matter
Cons
layoffs, poor advancement model
Great Work Life Balance
QA Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMarch 7, 2015
In all my years of being with EA, I'm still with EA because it really understands the importance of its team members. We treat each other with respect and the attitude is always professional and we foster working as a team.

The people at EA make coming to work a pleasure!
Enjoyable work with a good crew of people.
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  3 Pl Ville MarieFebruary 21, 2014
I'd start my day receiving a device (cell phone, tablet etc.) with a specific application to test. Once the app has been played through, we were required to complete checklists making sure they were fit to be released to the public. The atmosphere was nice and quiet, and my coworkers were also very helpful. We worked at our own paces, and we were able to do some internet browsing in between tasks and on our breaks. Sadly the department closed down due to a lot bad decision making made by EA.
Pros
lots a breaks, easy work, quiet environment.
Cons
pay was mediocre
User Experience Designer (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QCOctober 24, 2012
I find EA to be a great place to work.

The environment is very relaxing and you are working on fund projects!
Pros
working remotely, pay, the people
Cons
advancing in your career
Coin toss
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 14, 2014
You could very well join EA and have an experience that is completely positive. The company is so large that individual experience will vary wildly. In my case, the job was not a good fit, and I found several team members' conducts to be completely unprofessional, aggressive and rude.