ELECTIONS ONTARIO Employee Reviews in Canada

fun and very productive
Polling Day information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2016
for this job title, very interactive and fun to help voters. you need you stand for long hours but overall salary is good at the end of the day
Pros
salary
Typical government environment
Technical Writer/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 19, 2015
As my work was contract-related, I was generally immune from the day-to-day politics. Line employees seemed to know a lot more than management.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Contract work
Paid training with all the necessary tools
Registration Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONFebruary 20, 2016
Training was straight forward, easy to understand.
No surprises on my workday, as the trainer did a good job with the material.
You work independently, unless you have a question, or doubt about the process.
Pros
Paid training
Cons
Long day
Elections Canada offers good pay and good work experience
Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONFebruary 8, 2016
For a job that only requires you to work 1 12+ hour day plus 3 hour training session the money made from this job is good and worth long day.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Only one day
Worked for 12 Hours on election day and it was a fun, educational experience
Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 26, 2015
I the pay could of been better but overall being a poll clerk for the day was a fun and rewarding experience. It was a lot of fun to directly participate in the election and see everyone come into to vote. Co-workers were friendly and personable.
Pros
educational, relaxed environment
Cons
long hours, low pay.
Toxic work environment with no accountability at upper management/director level
Data Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto - Head OfficeOctober 19, 2012
Unaccountable bureaucracy at its finest. This organization is terribly mismanaged with little to no direction or organization and littered with hypocrisy. Attempting to complete the simplest of projects is often blocked by red tape. The only area where management shines is absolution and self preservation. If you enjoy buses I highly recommend this job as you'll be pulling yourself from out beneath one at some point.
Pros
excellent benefits and pension for full time staff.
Cons
poor management, little chance of career advancement
Great short term work.
Deputy Returning Officer/Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 24, 2015
Only worked two days. I met a diverse amount of cultures with co-workers and voters. Great job to work short term. Only set back was the long hours. But, its a great chance to meet new people and try new things.
Cons
Long hours.
Information Officer
Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ONSeptember 22, 2015
• Assisted Canadian voters on Election Day by running an information desk at one of the local poll stations.
• Was responsible for helping individuals from all walks of life as well as maintaining confidentiality of all of their personal information.
Pros
Helping people, taking part in political dynamic
Cons
Productive and provides multi-tasking experience
Supervisory Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONJanuary 31, 2015
I enjoyed my time working for Elections Ontario provincially and municipally.
I started as DRO, and for the municipal elections they decided to make me SDRO. They take into consideration your work experience, especially if you are bilingual.
Working for Elections Ontario demands serious attention to detail and the ability to multi-task, if you did not have those skills walking in, you definitely will at the of the day!
I look forward working the next elections !
Pros
meeting new people
fast paced and fun
Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 2, 2015
Working with voters and meeting new people. Training is provided and makes sure you are ready for election day. Co-workers were lovely, everyone made sure to look after everyone else. You are constantly dealing with people so it can overwhelm but as long as you're focused it becomes easier to deal with.
Cons
long hours but when the flow of peope slows down you can stretch
Productive and challenging job.
Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2015
This is my part time job. We just have an hour training and they will just sent through mails all the materials needed for the election. We should be polite and professional in dealing with voters,candidates and representative of the electoral commission.
Pros
good salary
Cons
that time there is no machines used so we have to count manually the results of the votes.
Very nice job. I gained much information about the Canadian politics.
Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto ONJuly 27, 2014
I had to work for 13 hr. a day. I learned about the Canadian politics. I worked there as an Information Assistant. I handled more then 7000 people who came there to vote. The hardest part was to stand for 13 hrs. The most enjoyable part was to meet many new people and talk with many other interesting things.
Pros
gain experience
Cons
Worked Election Day (2013)
Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee) –  Essex, ONMay 10, 2015
It was a brief - training day and election day - the job was running a poling station with one other person and a supervisor who checked in on us. I learned new job duties such as: accepting voting cards and verifying voters' identity, finding their names on the voter list and confirming their vote, collecting all votes in a confidential voters' ballot box, counting all of the votes at the end of the day & confirming it matched the number of ballots I gave out. Tabulating all votes in appropriate categories, recording and counting the votes, calling in the vote count to head office, and returning the votes & ballot box to head office. Set up and take down were done at the beginning and end of the day. My co-worker was helpful doing her share of the job. My supervisor was friendly, and encouraging - he confirmed that we were doing everything right. The hardest part of the job was the lull times when few or no voters were coming in - I like to keep busy. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the voters. There are so many different people, and I enjoy working with the public.
Pros
Gained good experiences
Cons
Long day.
Productive and friendly work environment
Poll clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto ONAugust 1, 2014
I have worked in the last two provincial elections, and on both occasions I was greeted with such a friendly work environment. Most of the staff employed by Elections Ontario have a great work ethic and are very familiar with their duties. If a doubt were to arise, one can confidently ask their fellow staff who are more than happy to clear up the matter. I learned a lot about the technical side of elections and polls and the importance of workers at the polling stations during that day. The hardest part of the job was dealing with voters who would display aggressive behavior, but of course we must be more than understanding and willing to help that voters at all times. In conclusion Elections Ontario is a great work environment to be a part of!
Pros
friendly and understanding staff
Costumer service and teamwork
Polling Station Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, OntarioFebruary 10, 2015
-busy then slow times
-learned about the process on election day for voters and locations of polls
-my coworkers are very helpful and organized
-sometimes you have to multitask from one person to another
-enjoyed getting to know every single person in the area
Pros
experience working with the government
Cons
Productive and dynamic work environment
Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Matheson, ONFebruary 19, 2013
A typical day at the office would include making inbound and outbound calls for an election company to help and make the clients voting experience as easy as possible. Working with this company has helped me a lot when it came down to utilizing my communication skills and customer service abilities. I learned how to deal with difficult situations and multi-tempered customers in an efficient manner and, as well as, making important decisions on the spot. Overall, my experience at Elections Ontario was amazing, the management, as well as, the employees made it very welcoming for me. I really did enjoy working there, it was honestly a great experience for me and has taught me a lot about the work field and myself.
Pros
dynamic environment
Cons
not enough hours
One day of job
Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2015
Provided customer service and information to electors, verified identification and directed them to the appropriate polls. Fast paced environment, co-workers and management are fine.
Pros
good experience
welcoming work place
Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, ONJune 17, 2014
- long hours
- lots of people
- standing for long periods of time
- customer service issues
- good management team
Fun work enviornment
Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 15, 2014
The day i worked at Elections Ontario was a life time experience seeing so much different people coming to cast there vote
I learned that everyone is equal in this country and every vote is as valuable as the next
Management was great they left very nice comments about my customer service
My co-worker was excellent she helped and guided me all along the way
Great overall experience
Responsible for Voting Polls (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 10, 2014
It is a great experience to work with Elections Ontario, and participate in the great opportunity of voting and assisting other Canadians with voting.
I helped with the voting poll and any other inquires voters had, as well as, making sure the voting experience was as fast and easy as possible ensuring that voters will come back next year.
With this job you will learn to work long hours, communicate with all sorts of people, while staying professional.
Pros
enjoyable and rewarding experince

4.3