EF Education First

EF Education First Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
HORRIBLE Management and Company
English Trainer (Former Employee), Shanghai, ChinaJune 6, 2015
Pros: There are opportunities for work in different countries, They also gave us a very nice welcome package.
Cons: See review above.
EF did a horrible job at helping us accommodate to China. They did not even tell us that we needed 100RMB for a security deposit at that low-quality hotel they made us stay at (which, by the way, they changed it to at the very last minute--great planning, huh?). Furthermore, EF poorly advised us on how to choose an apartment. They made it sound like we HAD to use an agent, and find a place RIGHT AWAY, regardless of how ridiculously expensive the rent was. They don't care! HQ is utterly and totally unreliable. Why do they not respond to e-mails? Why do they take forever to get things done? Third, we had awful healthy insurance. Our policy from socialist Sweden takes forever to reimburse the money--I had to e-mail them several times to get my money, and I had to pay a money transfer fee whenever they paid me back--outrageous! Why couldn't those idiots just pay me back in RMB?

EF teaching materials are for the pits. Slides are replete with vague and incomplete grammar explanation, as well as just inappropriate topics for a Chinese audience (one lesson asks students to say what they would change about government--since they didn't want to go to jail, class didn't go so well).

Management COULDN'T CARE LESS about employees and what they think. Even though WE are the ones who do the teaching, and know what is best for the students, our opinions do not matter. EF is only concerned with the profits they can get from the naive Chinese consumer, who would be better off taking lessons at Wall Street or WEB International English. I knew a guy who almost got fired for expressing his religious views. It is not wonder the turnover rate is so high, and EF does not even pay for your airfare.
SALES COORDINATOR - Multiproduct sell (Former Employee), Maracaibo, VApril 20, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: sometimes work on weekends
Teamwork place with exceptional people, good administration and organization, under pressure issues to solve and to learn from them

Moments with co workers were amazing!
Challenging position with great potential for personal growth.
DIRECTOR OF STUDIES (Former Employee), C30March 2, 2015
Challenging position with great potential for personal growth.

Position required an incredible amount of overtime and work life balance was very difficult to maintain.

Since installation of new camera systems, work environment became extremely stressful.
A ruthless language factory
Former Teacher (Former Employee), DublinNovember 27, 2014
Cons: long, underpaid hours
This has to be one of the most exploitative schools I have ever worked in as a Teacher. Avoid this school like the plague. It makes Ryan Air look like a Charity.

Their Dublin branch tried to put all its teachers on a flat-rate of pay which worked out at below the minimum wage.

You have been warned. This factory-like school will show no mercy.
Productive and a fun workplace
Sales & Admissions Manager (Current Employee), Dubai, DUOctober 22, 2014
• Promote all EF programs offered by EF centers worldwide and Recruit new students.
• Provide pre-admission advising, outreach, interviewing, and follow-up for potential students including KASP students;
• Present and provide travel, housing, and visa information and services to the students;
Unique company with unusual environment
Vice President of Product Development (Current Employee), 上海市, C23September 30, 2014
Education First offers great opportunities to entrepreneurial middle and senior managers. The company is structured around start up-like practices albeit being a 50 years old multinational divided in 16 large business unis across 400 offices.

The company's pros are also its cons, as due to the highly creative environment, reporting lines are often chaotic and long term strategies get hindered.
Productive and Great team
IT Project Manager (Former Employee), BostonSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: none i can think of
* Team meetings
* Project planning and tasks execution
* Working with diverse culture and people
Multinational Classes
Local Teacher (Current Employee), Oxford, ENGAugust 5, 2014
Pros: accommodation in walking distance
Cons: extra activity duties
I enjoyed my time at EF Education First. My direct managers were helpful and professional, and all teaching materials were provided. I really enjoyed having mulitmational classes as it really pushed the students to speak English to each other.
Great environment
ESL Teacher (Former Employee), 720 Fushan Rd Shanghai ChinaJuly 31, 2014
The EF online centre is a great place to work. Teachers are assigned a workload of six 40 minute classes a day taught one on one via an online environment. The position allowed for a lot of teacher autonomy but it also fostered an environment where teachers really helped each other. The biggest challenge of the job is dealing with technical issues as China's internet service is not always completely stable.
I learned be humble, be patience
teaching assistant (Former Employee), TianJin,ChinaJuly 28, 2014
I was woking a English trainning school in ChinaI. I helped teachers to prepare courses for children, and as a translator for children,since the teacher speak English.
nice teaching group and great classroom
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), C32July 2, 2014
teachers are friendly and dedicated
classroom are clean and beautiful
Very good employer
PPC Search Marketing Analyst (Former Employee), Zürich, ZHJune 27, 2014
Swedish work approach. Great stuff. Laid back but still result driven.
Maid lots of friends
Fun Place
Business Development Consultant (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAMarch 6, 2014
Pros: tickets to sport events, groupons, young culture
Cons: cold calling
Super fun if you are into sales and marketing.
I liked the atmosphere but the position was not a great fit.
built good relationship with clients and co-workers
Operator full-time (Former Employee), BeijingJanuary 14, 2014
Kept contact with the students from Air China program. All of students are manage level. Made Wine-taste event for VIP students with famous wine taster and made a lot of theme parties.
Built a great relationship with co-workers.
Operating the biggest program of EF, I learnt a lot, such as how to communicate with managers, how to build good relationship with clients, how to improve the work through the limited money, etc.
Not a great place
Senior SQL Developer (Former Employee), Bangalore, KADecember 27, 2013
Not a great place to work. I do not recommend anyone who wants to build a career.
no management culture
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MA; London, UKDecember 5, 2013
Pros: health benefits, working with young people
Cons: no management culture
This is a company that purely focuses on sales. There is no mentoring, management culture or anything else you'd expect from a company this size. Would NOT work there again. Great health benefits however.
A diverse multicultural office with a calm, relaxed and professional atmosphere
Regional Sales Coordinator (Current Employee), DubaiAugust 13, 2013
Pros: free car park, health insurance, bonuses
Cons: long hours without overtime being paid
A typical day starts with importing all the new requests from our data base. It follows with answering enquires and questions from agents and clients, making sure you are up to date with every single client and try to create new sales. Optimizing our sales by adding ' add on sales' and visa consultancy.

I have learned about different business development strategies, maximising and generating revenue from the sales, visa consultancy along with direct sales.

Management has been supportive, even though with being away most of the time, I have been going through a self learning curve with loads of managerial based issued facing me on a daily basis, which has made me gain a lot more experience.

The hardest part would be trying trust the agents and making sure they are doing the right job, as there is a lack of trust due to their performance.

The most enjoying part is when you have set the deal with a client, knowing that both sides of the party are happy and receiving the feedback and results from them.
Fantastic workplace
Marketing and Business Development Intern (Former Employee), ShanghaiMarch 16, 2013
It was really a perfect experience when I join the Marketing team. Everyday we monitored the markets of different cities and tried to promote the EF Global Intern 2012 Campaign.

I got my advanced marketing skills there.

Management are very nice.

Co-workers was a group with passion and energy.

The hardest part of the job was how to balance daily marketing activities and EF Global Intern 2012 Campaign.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the progress of hit the target of 8000 participators in campaign.
Great company
General Manager (Former Employee), Санкт-Петербург, SZAFebruary 19, 2013
It's an amazing company with great corporate culture. They promote from within, so a right person can make a terrific career there.
Growth Opportunities
General Manager (Former Employee), Санкт-Петербург, SZAFebruary 19, 2013
Excellent company to work for. I worked there for over 3 years and I can say that if you are willing to work hard, you will succeed.