*MUST BE FT STUDENT RETUNING TO FT STUDIES*
The Edward Milne Community School Society is seeking two Youth Engagement Program Assistants to aid with activities and programming for youth ages 13-21 in the Sooke region, including project development, promotion, coordination, implementation, and evaluation.
Successful candidates will have the opportunity to:
- Develop lasting relationships with the community
- Learn skills in community development and improve upon your existing skills
- Learn to see obstacles and design solutions to overcome them
- Increase confidence as a leader and an engaged member of your community
Contract: 9 weeks (June - August 2014)
Full-Time: 35 hours/week including weekdays and some evenings/weekends as required
Salary: $11/hour + 4% Vacation Pay
LINE OF RESPONSIBILITY: Reports to Youth Council Coordinator / Coordinator of Programs
KEY PROJECT RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To aid in establishing programs and activities that showcase the strengths and abilities of local youth and families.
2. To aid in the development of after-school and drop-in activities for youth.
3. To create social recreational and/or arts programs that include relationships with local community partners and which empower youth to make a difference in their community.
4. To reach out to and engage a diverse group of youth through word of mouth and social media.
5. Collect and record quotes, stories, and pictures representing participant experiences in the programs you develop.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Enjoys brainstorming and creativity.
- Is enthusiastic and energetic.
- Is able to provide encouragement and support to youth participants.
- Is open-minded and inclusive with a sense of humour.
- Has passion for encouraging others to make a difference in their community.
- Enjoys public speaking.
- Must have been a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to full-time studies in the next academic year.
- Understanding of current youth needs and opportunities in the Sooke region.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills with the ability to work with little supervision.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Experience with recreation, sport, and/or arts.
- Proficient in Social Media and Microsoft Office Word (Excel proficiency is an asset).
- Experience planning and implementing community events is an asset. Experience leading and motivating youth groups is an asset.
- Current First Aid and CPR Certification is an asset.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Ebony Logins, Community School Coordinator, Programs at elogins [at] sd62 [dot] bc [dot] ca or drop off application at the EMCS Program Office (6218 Sooke Road).
Application Deadline: Friday, May 30th 2014 at 4:00pm
We thank you for your interest. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Any information obtained or provided will be used only for the recruitment process and not for any other purpose. This position is funded by HRSDC Canada Summer Jobs.