*MUST BE FT STUDENT RETUNING TO FT STUDIES*
The Edward Milne Community School Society is seeking a Summer Literacy Camp Assistants for the Play & Learn Summer Camp. This position assists Camp Leaders in administering literacy activities and tests to children ages 6-9 years from the Sooke region that are not meeting grade level requirements. For these children, a long summer break means falling further behind. The camp is designed to support children who are struggling with reading and writing skills. It also builds physical literacy skills.
Contract: 6 weeks (July to August 2014)
Full-Time: 35 hours/week
Salary: $11/hour + 4% Vacation Pay
LINE OF RESPONSIBILITY: Reports to Camp Leader, Community School Coordinator
KEY PROJECT RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To assist with lessons and activities on a daily basis, including preparation of learning materials and environment, and assisting with lessons.
2. To assist with the supervision of children on weekly field trips.
4. To reach out to and engage a diverse group of children in literacy activities including math, reading, and physical literacy, in small and large groups.
5. Collect and record quotes, stories, and pictures representing participant experiences in the programs you develop.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Enjoys brainstorming and creativity. - Is enthusiastic and energetic. - Is able to provide encouragement and support to children. - Is open-minded and inclusive with a sense of humour. - Has passion for helping children develop literacy skills. - Enjoys working with children.
- Must have been a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to full-time studies in the next academic year.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills with the ability to work with little supervision.
- Experience with recreation, sport, and/or arts. - Experience working with children ages 6-9 years is an asset. - Current First Aid and CPR Certification is an asset.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Ebony Logins, Community School Coordinator, Programs at elogins [at] sd62 [dot] bc [dot] ca or drop off application at the EMCS Program Office (6218 Sooke Road).
Application Deadline: Friday, May 30th 2014 at 4:00pm
We thank you for your interest. Only candidates for interviews will be contacted. Any information obtained or provided will be used only for the recruitment process and not for any other purpose. This opportunity is funded by HRSDC – Canada Summer Jobs.