The overall role of the Primary Care Nurse is to support the Edmonton West Primary Care Network (PCN) by providing comprehensive nursing services to the patients in the practices of family physicians participating in the Edmonton West PCN. The PCN Nurse will assess, manage, and support patients, and provide appropriate documentation, working collaboratively with the clinic physicians to develop and implement care plans and to provide follow-up with patients.
The PCN Nurse will work with Family Physicians and other health professionals in the community within local and regional AHS programs in a multi-disciplinary environment to provide quality, evidence-based health care to the practice population.
The Primary Care Nurse reports to the Primary Care Nurse Team Lead of the Edmonton West Primary Care Network (PCN), while serving the patient population of a family practice within the PCN.
- Support an organizational culture that fosters excellence and multi-disciplinary teamwork;
- Promote a continuous learning environment within the PCN;
- Assist in the development of policies and protocols;
- Assist in setting up programs relevant to the needs of the practice population;
- Assist in developing and implementing patient self-management programs;
- Act as a resource to other team members;
- Offer training support for other team members and assist in their professional development;
- Ensure the maintenance of accurate records in line with practice policy;
- Participate in the PCN’s education program; and
- Participate in the maintenance of a healthy and safe work environment.
- Work collaboratively within a family practice environment to enhance the delivery of primary care services to patients with in the practice population;
- Provide health services to patients according to practice protocols, conduct assessments, initiate and implement treatment and management strategies, and provide appropriate follow-up;
- To make professionally autonomous decisions in managing patients and offer a complimentary source of care to that offered by medical practitioners; and
- May be required to perform Restricted Activities, where in that case the Primary Care Network will ensure the employee has the education and training to be competent in performing the restricted activity.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
A successful Primary Care Nurse will possess and demonstrate key attributes and skills and have the minimum experience and education, as follows:
- Baccalaureate degree in Nursing;
- Current CARNA Registration;
- Current CPR and BCLS; and
- Must have own vehicle and driver’s license.
- Preference given to those with at least 5 years nursing experience;
- CDM nursing experience an asset;
- Experience in working with multidisciplinary teams an asset; and
- Experience in working with an electronic health record.
Knowledge and Skills
- Clinical skills in chronic disease management or primary care nursing;
- Evidence of own professional development;
- Ability to build a strong working relationship with healthcare professionals, patients, PCN team members, and members of the community; and
- Understanding and respect of confidentiality.
- Ability to act responsibly and be accountable for actions;
- Ability to work effectively and independently in a complex, unstructured and dynamic environment;
- High levels of integrity and professional behaviour;
- Ability to respect others’ views and opinions;
- Must be able to work well with others;
- Must have good problem-solving skills;
- Ability to develop new skills and apply theory to practice;
- Good judgement;
- Ability to use initiative and prioritize workload;
- Enthusiastic, can-do attitude;
- Flexibility in approach to work; and
- Awareness of own strengths and areas for improvement.
Condition of Employment
- Security; proof of a clean criminal record is required.
All interested candidates are asked to please forward a cover letter and copy of their resume to:
Carrie Kachur, Office/H.R. Manager via indeed email or fax:
**Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted**
Edmonton West PCN has 40 family clinics with 153 family physicians involved in our Primary Care Network. Our general geographic boundaries...