Reporting to the Primary Care Team Leader, this position’s FTE will be 0.6 with the possibility of fluctuating increased hours to a 1.0 FTE. The Behavioural Health Consultant (BHC) will provide brief and accessible consultative services to the patients and primary care physicians of the Edmonton West Primary Care Network.
Addressing behavioural health and mental health concerns, the focus of the BHC will be on assessment, screening, educational / clinical interventions as well as facilitating and supporting behavioural health change with the goal of symptom reduction and improved self management.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Work with the primary care team to identify, assess, educate and support patients with emotional concerns and/ or behaviours that negatively affect their health
- Provide brief consultative contacts with patients (30 min or less)
- Apply behavioural principles to address lifestyle and health risk issues
- Effectively communicate with and give feedback to physicians and other involved team members, both verbally and in writing.
- Act as a resource to multidisciplinary team members
- Behavioural Health Consultant, Registered Nurse, Registered Psychiatric Nurse, Masters or Bachelors in Social Work or equivalent.
- Active registration in good standing with professional association or college.
- A minimum of five (5) years recent experience working with population experiencing mental health issues.
- Knowledge of evidence- based interventions and population-based care principles
- General knowledge of primary care and chronic disease management principles
- Knowledge of psycho-pharmacology
- Strong awareness of community resources and programs
- Experience with electronic medical records considered an asset
- Understanding and respect of the Health Information Act
- Current CPR
- Driver’s license and vehicle are required
- Excellent time management and organizational skills reflective of primary care settings
- Self directed, adaptable and willingness to learn
- Able to identify and respond appropriately to priorities in a fast paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Respectful team member, aware of strengths and limitations and willing to seek help when required.
All interested candidates are asked to please forward a cover letter and copy of their resume to:
Carrie Kachur, Office/Human Resources Manager via email or fax:
A copy of the full job description may be viewed at http://www.edmontonwestpcn.com/careers
**Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted**
Edmonton West PCN has 40 family clinics with 153 family physicians involved in our Primary Care Network. Our general geographic boundaries...