Edmonton Public Schools Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Very Good Place To Start A Career!
Supply Staff/Administration (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 21, 2016
A typical day would be to hope to get a call for an assignment, then drive over the school and assume my role. It has been wonderful thus far and I have gotten exposed to many different roles and tasks. Most schools I go to, there are people willing to share their knowledge with me and I take that to the next school.

I would say the reality is that supply people do get picked last in terms of being able to actually apply on permanent positions. Also, while visiting some schools, it is clear that not all persons understand that supply people learn as they go and can sometimes be mean. I think it would be fair if supply people were able to take the necessary training before going on assignment then looking incompetent. I hope I get to continue working with EPSB and make a career out of this.
Pros
Wonderful working with kids; pretty short day
Cons
People tend to be mean to supply; hard to get permanent position
Edmonton public schools pays well for a lunchroom supervisor but with very limited hours
Lunch room supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 18, 2016
Typically you eat your lunch before you supervise .Then you mark down your hours you supervise the children. After their lunch is over in your designated classroom ,you go outside with all the classes in division 1 and 2 and supervise there . Typically you work 3 - 2 hours a week rotating on and off with your coworkers
Pros
high pay
Cons
Little hours
Great people and fun environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hazeldean Elementary SchoolJuly 5, 2016
I would supervise elementary school students during their lunch break. Heating up food and cleaning tables. Also interacting with the kids while they ate their lunches, then playing and supervising grades 1-6 outside and getting to know the kids better. I really enjoy working and being around children, however there are always lots of little disputes/arguments that need to be dealt with in an appropriate way without minimizing the children's feelings.
Pros
Worked well with my schedule
Cons
only one hour a day
Fun and personal satisfaction working with kids
Lunchroom Aide (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 21, 2016
It may be for an hour a day, but there is so much activity in the small, bright minds of the kids. Sure I have to have eyes in the back of my head, but I get paid for it.
What I learned from working for this long with this school, is more confidence in my abilities as an individual.
Management is very cool, kind, patient, and obviously loves her job, because it was so easy to transition to that type of work.
Co-workers are kind and communicative women, which is much needed in this work environment.
Hardest part of the job is managing the tougher crowd. They don't all make the best decisions, but we work to smooth it over.
Most enjoyable part is the kids and how vibrant they truly are. The bright smiles, kindnesses, and so smart.
Fun, flexible, challenging, but the culture could be improved
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 2, 2016
The main negative is that some schools do not respect substitutes and treat them poorly. As long as you can overlook this, subbing for EPSB is a very desirable job.
Pros
Fun, flexible, challenging
Cons
culture could be improved
This was an adult education facility and was a professional atmosphere
Clerk D (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 16, 2015
At Metro Continuing education I learnt how to deal with people from all walks of life. This college was primarily used for the ESL programs and general interest courses. It was also for adult students wanted to upgrade their skills.

My coworkers were wonderful people, I worked with approximately 20 diverse women. The hardest part of my job was to keep ahead of the work required, I was responsible for preparing most of the course material for upcoming classes so it was imperative to be organized.

The most enjoyable part of my job was that I found it rewarding and challenging, It was a fantastic job. I left this job as I moved to BC for family reasons.
Pros
Professional Environment
Cons
I dont think I can say anything negative about this position
Very productive job and everyday is a different day
Clerk F - Vimy Ridge Academy (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 9, 2015
I love working for Edmonton Public for the past 20 years. Everyday is a new and exciting day never know what to expect. My experience there has given me the computer skills that I can use in every job situation. The staff are all super nice. The hardest part of my job is that I get several interruptions during the day but the job gets done and I can go home satisfied that I tried my hardest to complete my jobs to do list.
Pros
Watching the students grow up and become adults
Cons
I do above and beyond my share of work.
Mail Clerk/Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaNovember 6, 2014
I work independently running the mailroom and loading dock sorting incoming interoffice mail from over 200 locations in the city. I process all incoming and outgoing postal mail. Make deliveries to 30+ departments in a 4 story building. I accept, log in and distribute various items ranging from envelopes to dangerous goods.I also lift heavy boxes and such on daily basis.

I enjoy this position as I can freely move about the building interacting with co-workers. It also allows me to lend a helping hand to others when needed.

Although the job is generally repetitive in nature, the workload itself can vary day to day and same goes with the difficulty depending on the nature of the deliveries.

At times work policies and procedures change, so must my work habits and I am quick to adapt to all changes.

I am allowed to make decisions regarding critical deliveries and finding solutions to various problems that arise.

The most difficult aspect of my job is not being able to complete my work as I am required to do 2 other positions along with my own. At times this can become very stressful.
Pros
heated underground parking, treats, donuts, etc from different depts.
Cons
finishing or doing other peoples work in order to complete my own.
it was great to be with the kids
Lunch room supervisor (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJanuary 27, 2014
I loved being with the kids and the kids love me, I get rewarded with lots of hugs from all different kids every day.
Variable and interesting working conditions !
Lunch Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 6, 2013
I very much enjoyed my time with Edmonton Public Schools.Working with the children was very rewarding.The Support Staff were wonderful, and the Teaching and Administrative Staff were great, too.
Pros
the priveledge if working with children.
Cons
standing outside in the winter in minus 25 !
Great Workplace
Painter / Various Capacities (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 30, 2012
The best years of my life were with EPS. I want to paint seasonal, if possible. KO
Pros
environment is great!

Edmonton Public Schools Reviews by Location