Edmonton Public Schools Employee Reviews

A fast paced environment with growth potential
Science Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2017
Greet buses, assist students with special needs ,work with students and teachers to facilitate learning objectives, supervise recess, supervise lunchroom. Bus supervision
Pros
working with children to help them be successful
Cons
children with special needs can be emotionally draining to work with
Great workplace
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2017
Enjoyed working for EPSB for a number of years. Loved the busy times around schools and loved working for kids and the staff. "Bumping" process is stressful, but a part of their system.
Friendly, but slow without projects
Junior Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2017
A typical day for the position of a developer would involve programming tasks of varying nature based on the requirements from a client or another department. Management works on a hierarchy of individuals ranging from the junior to the seniors, followed by supervisor and eventually up to department lead.

During my time as a programmer I learned how to use Oracle applications and used PL/SQL extensively, although other employees would have different tasks such as being a DBA or coding in ColdFusion. Everyone here has a good positive vibe and are always friendly to each other.

However, workflow is somewhat slow given the small tasks that I am given, and the result of me leaving employement at this location, as my contract is expiring and am not being renewed due to a lack of workflow. No other contractors in programming at this location are staying either for the same reason.
Pros
Friendly staff, fantastic health benefits
Cons
Slow moments when workflow is slow. Job security for contractors is largely limited by workflow.
Good Employer
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 July 2017
Management is okay, some managers are better than others
Culture is okay
Work and home life balance is perfect - haven't had to work overtime yet and hours are flexible
A fun place to interact with children of all ages.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 July 2017
It's a lot of fun to interact and read with the younger children as well as helping them with their schoolwork. It helped me gain more experience interacting with children younger with me as I wish to become a teacher.
Pros
Interacting with children
Wonderful place to work
Classroom Lunch Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 June 2017
Very fulfilling work place. You get to interact with not only your coworkers, but students of all grades and school staff. Everyday is different and a learning experience.
Job Security with a full pension.
Head custodian (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2017
A typical day at work : more action
What you learned : Lot of things in a workplace
The most enjoyable part of the job:JOB SECURITY and the Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan (ASEBP)
It is a fun place to work,
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2017
Edmonton Public Schools offers a variety of educational sessions where you can explore new ideas, strategies and implement them throughout your workday.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Large classrooms
Excellent care for students
English Teacher and ESL lead teacher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2017
A Division of choice focused on caring for students educational needs. We empower young people to pursue their goals and to challenge themselves to take risks and gain mastery.
Pros
Great community
Cons
Good job opportunity for students
Lunchroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2017
It was good to get a job opportunity within my school at a young age that worked with my schedule while giving job experience and paying the students a salary.
Pros
worked with schedule
Cons
none really
Fun job
Lunchroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2017
I really enjoy being a lunchroom supervisor. It's only 1 hour but the pay is good. I also enjoy being able to see my kids :) You ensure kids are picking their healthy staples in their lunch before the rest of their lunch and then go outside for the last 20 minutes.
Pros
Fun, goes fast and pays well.
Cons
Only 1 hour
Fun to meet new people
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2017
Never had any specific supervisor
Very busy days with work and tons of phone calls
As working in different school based on cal
Many opportunity to learn new things.l
Hardest part was to get ready asap as soon get call
Fun to meet new staff and kids
Pros
working school hours
Cons
no idea when I could get called
Excellent employer
Various positions (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2017
I worked for this company, for over 30 year. Excellent company to work for. Benefit package is exceptional. Fellow employees were very good to work with.
Working around kids is great
Head Custodian (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
No opinion at this time going through harassment complaint against the school. Sorry can not say any more about them, don't want to get into trouble for saying something. Thank you
Good place to work with lots of wonderful people
Supply Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 August 2016
A big learning curve to work in a school, so never a dull moment. The hardest part of the job is to just keep up to constant volume of phone calls and visitors. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the kids and watching them learn and grow. I just find it hard to get on permanent.
Very Good Place To Start A Career!
Supply Staff/Administration (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 July 2016
A typical day would be to hope to get a call for an assignment, then drive over the school and assume my role. It has been wonderful thus far and I have gotten exposed to many different roles and tasks. Most schools I go to, there are people willing to share their knowledge with me and I take that to the next school.

I would say the reality is that supply people do get picked last in terms of being able to actually apply on permanent positions. Also, while visiting some schools, it is clear that not all persons understand that supply people learn as they go and can sometimes be mean. I think it would be fair if supply people were able to take the necessary training before going on assignment then looking incompetent. I hope I get to continue working with EPSB and make a career out of this.
Pros
Wonderful working with kids; pretty short day
Cons
People tend to be mean to supply; hard to get permanent position
Edmonton public schools pays well for a lunchroom supervisor but with very limited hours
Lunch room supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2016
Typically you eat your lunch before you supervise .Then you mark down your hours you supervise the children. After their lunch is over in your designated classroom ,you go outside with all the classes in division 1 and 2 and supervise there . Typically you work 3 - 2 hours a week rotating on and off with your coworkers
Pros
high pay
Cons
Little hours
Great people and fun environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hazeldean Elementary School5 July 2016
I would supervise elementary school students during their lunch break. Heating up food and cleaning tables. Also interacting with the kids while they ate their lunches, then playing and supervising grades 1-6 outside and getting to know the kids better. I really enjoy working and being around children, however there are always lots of little disputes/arguments that need to be dealt with in an appropriate way without minimizing the children's feelings.
Pros
Worked well with my schedule
Cons
only one hour a day
Fun and personal satisfaction working with kids
Lunchroom Aide (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2016
It may be for an hour a day, but there is so much activity in the small, bright minds of the kids. Sure I have to have eyes in the back of my head, but I get paid for it.
What I learned from working for this long with this school, is more confidence in my abilities as an individual.
Management is very cool, kind, patient, and obviously loves her job, because it was so easy to transition to that type of work.
Co-workers are kind and communicative women, which is much needed in this work environment.
Hardest part of the job is managing the tougher crowd. They don't all make the best decisions, but we work to smooth it over.
Most enjoyable part is the kids and how vibrant they truly are. The bright smiles, kindnesses, and so smart.
Fun, flexible, challenging, but the culture could be improved
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 April 2016
The main negative is that some schools do not respect substitutes and treat them poorly. As long as you can overlook this, subbing for EPSB is a very desirable job.
Pros
Fun, flexible, challenging
Cons
culture could be improved