Part Time Youth Worker (10 positions)
Short Term Supportive Youth Housing
Edmonton John Howard Society (EJHS) is a community based not for profit crime prevention agency that has been operating in Edmonton since 1949. Our mission is “through our programs and services we work to prevent crime and to help people affected by crime”.
Edmonton John Howard Society is proud to be opening up a new short term housing facility for youth between the ages of 16-24. This program will provide young people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless with a safe, affordable and supportive living environment. Operating primarily from a Harm Reduction philosophy, the program provides 20 beds as a low-barrier housing solution to those who are faced with multiple challenges. Youth Workers will work closely with the young person to identify goals, overcome barriers and transition to a permanent housing solution.
- Support a caseload (maximum 6 youth) by: assisting in the development and revision of youth’s goal plans, facilitating service team meetings (when required), openly discussing current challenges, advocating to external service providers (educational, work placements, legal, medical, etc.), providing relevant referrals (housing, addictions, counselling, etc.)
- Build positive relationships/rapport with youth to encourage healthy lifestyle alternatives (through active, supportive listening)
- Participation in formal and informal programs to assist the client in learning life skills (relationships building, anger management, sexual health, financial management, food preparation etc.)
- Accept referrals and complete intake paperwork.
- Maintain the information in the agency database and participate in program evaluation and statistical information as required by supervisor
- Maintain daily records and documentation.
- Ensure residents are provided with adequate food in accordance with the Canada Food Guide
- Assist in maintaining a clean environment for residents and staff
- Build positive relationships with related community agencies/partners
- Shift work is required (mostly Monday-Friday, days and evenings)
- Participate in a on-call rotation
- Degree or Diploma in Human Services or related field
- Minimum 2 years experience working with marginalized populations
- Strong understanding of Harm Reduction
- Strong listening skills, relationship building, mediation and counseling skills
- Must be self-directed, flexible, team orientated and able to follow direction
- Able to follow the agency’s philosophy and core values
- A safe reliable vehicle with 2 million liability, 6A coverage, and a willingness to transport youth
- A clear Criminal Record Check and Child Welfare Record Check are required
The starting annual salary for this position is $17 hour
Safety and harmony in our community
Indeed - 19 months ago