Edmonton Catholic Schools Employee Reviews

Not what it used to be
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2017
Teachers are paid well, but there is no such thing as work-life balance. Each principal makes decisions as they see fit and it's like roulette whether you are with a good one. Students might abuse you and there will be no consequences. The district will promote so-called Catholic values more than human rights. You will burn out in ten years.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Stressful
Amazing district to be part of
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 September 2017
Always treated with the upmost respect. Took care of their their staff, as a mother working part time very accommodating and undeterstanding. Would recommend
Pressive education
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 July 2017
Edmonton catholic is always updating their teaching methods and teach their staff top skills in the field. Staff is friendly and supportive. It is difficult but rewarding work.
Pros
Continuous personal growth, progressive, fun
Cons
Difficult to obtain permanent contract
Great Place to work
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 July 2017
You are trained well and given a chance to learn new skills. The administration are dedicated, caring people who care as much for the welfare of their staff as they do their students.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
tough work days if a child is having a bad day
Great Place to work
Consultant (K-12) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta Canada15 May 2017
One of Alberta's top 70 employers. Great staff and leadership team. Benefits are fantastic. Human resources was very easy to get along with and they always made sure that we were taken care of.
Ecsb
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 May 2017
Very good staff and support with a team of teachers and assistants helping each other to assist students with disabilities and special needs. An open door policy to talk about issues and needs.
Pros
Education, working in a professional environment
Productive and fun workplace
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 April 2017
Working as a support educational assistant at Edmonton Catholic Schools opened many opportunities for me as I develop my career. It is a fun and learning experience!
Its a good place to worki
Educatuonal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 April 2017
It is really an awesome place to work. The staffs are friendly, accommodating ,understanding and Co operating. We work as a team and we always stay on focused. We have great passion for the kids,mostly those that need special attention.We always take the kids out for field trip and the kids always have fun .The Edmonton Catholic Schools is well organize in a way that you will always see it as a family. Every body is treated well no matter your race or colour. Teachers in Edmonton Catholic school's are well train and they are always ready to work. You hardly know the Principal because he or she will humble to render some services you never expected. Indeed this is a place to learn humility, service and team work. We carry the parent alone, we also make sure wee attend to them at any time they need our services.
Pros
I like the fact that children are being thought good moral
Cons
Sport compitition is jet to be introduced
Great place to work that provides various opportunities for growth.
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 February 2017
If you love working with children this is a great place to work. You are given alot of experiences for growth, no day is the same which is great if you hate doing the same thing over and over again.
A exciting anf varied work place in an atmosphere including a vast array of cultural and ethnic individuals.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2016
Working at Edmonton Catholic Schools has been a huge learning experience for me. It has allowed me to grow as a person, teacher, coach, mentor and administrator. The enviornment is warm, and collegial while keeping the needs of the students in the forefront.
See below
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2016
• I am a self-motivated, task orientated individual with the ability to work independently or as part of a group. I learn new skills quickly
Pros
benifits
Cons
no flexiblity
Amazing work with amazing people
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 May 2016
My time with ECSD had been amazing so far. All of the people are incredible and there is always something fun going around the office.
Wonderful position
100 Voices Teacher & Physical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2016
I love my job and I enjoy the variety and spending time with the great students. I have learned great classroom management skills as well as being diverse in my teaching since I teach students Pre-K to Grade 6 on a daily basis.
Supportive and community like atmosphere
Early Learning Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2015
Edmonton Catholic schools provide a very supportive, well rounded system for their employees. I feel comfortable to approach anyone within the school system and seek proper assistance.
Challenging and Rewarding
Teacher/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 October 2015
I worked with a dynamic, dedicated staff of the highest calibre. Really! Consistently, teachers cared about the students, their progress, and their future. They were a great bunch of people - fun, caring, helpful to the students and to each other. Of course, there were 'politics' but such is life in any profession. No two days were ever the same! Teaching, however, is demanding more than the public will ever see. Long hours are spent in preparing lessons and marking, extracurricular activities, committee work, department meetings, staff meetings, district meetings, professional development and parent meetings so often the job work/life balance may be skewed in favour of work to the detriment of family. It's a challenge to keep the balance. Overall, if you like teaching/counseling and I did enjoy it, it was a good place to work.
Pros
Great staff and students
Cons
Long hours of work
social and dynamic place to wok
Sub Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2015
8:30 my day officially starts as the children come into the class room. I chat with a teacher about what will be happening throughout the morning. Then we have lessons. I usually support the lower ability children on the carpet and at their table. During the day I have a supervision outside. At 12:00 o'clock I have lunch in the afternoon. I assist kids whichever table/activity the teacher request. It is a lot less structured, as the children mainly free flow in the afternoons, so it's a case of going with the flow and doing what i am told!
Pros
lots of positive emotions especially from kids
Cons
winter time out side
Teacher
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta9 May 2015
The past two years have been invaluable in regards to what I have learned about teaching, my students, parents, administration, planning and general pedagogy. As a novice teacher, there is a steep learning curve which one must endure, but the learning for me will not end. My students teach me so much about learning practices through my own reflection of lessons.
My coworkers and administration are very supportive. We share resources, collaborate and work together to reach consensus' on what will be best for our students. It is an amazing atmosphere to be employed in.
The hardest part of my day is knowing that I am responsible for the well-being and learning of my students.Furthermore, children are delicate by nature, thus I always ensure I nurture them and demonstrate my care and concern for them while trying to educate them. The most enjoyable parts of my day are when I have genuine connections with my students. For instance, students checking in with me to let me know how they are doing, or how they are feeling about a test they have to take today. Everyday is not always wonderful, but there are always wonderful parts to each day. I have definitely chosen the right vocational aspiration for myself.
Hard working
Tutor Doctor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2015
Great place for work, awesome people, look forward to coming everyday is a new experience. Highly recommended for others looking for subbing.
Rewarding experience with personal growth
Junior High Math/Computer Teacher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada6 October 2014
The last five years of my teaching career I was given the opportunity to be on the ground floor of opening a new school. This is a special honor. Given this position opened many new opportunities. I started and lead the curling club. In our first, second and third year we won the championship. The first year we opened the school I worked with some wonderful top educated co-workers. Each of us knew we had to work as a team in order to have the school up and running for September. We all had to give up our summer vacation that year to have the school ready for opening day. Opening a new school is a chance of a life time! This was probably the hardest part of my job. Keeping that in mind, it was also the most enjoyable part of my job.
Seeing the students understand a new concept in Math was very rewarding.
Through testing and observation I assessed the individual needs of my students in the subject areas I taught. Daily, weekly, monthly and year plans were made for teaching in each of my subjects.
I learned how to plan the subject curriculum over a year. So that I could complete the entire curriculum, plan for review and testing. The year plan had to have a built in time factor for reteaching if needed.
Communicating with parents and their children was an on going learned skill.
Pros
Teaching gave me the same school breaks as my children.
Cons
Teaching is not a 9 to 5 job.
Enriching
Replacement Teacher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton10 June 2014
Working with children.
Challenging children to better themselves.
Learning Daily not one day is ever the same.
Pros
Working in a social environment.
Cons
Never a dull moment.