The Edmonton Aboriginal Business and Professional Association (EABPA) is a non-profit organization formed to create access to economic development opportunities for Aboriginal people within the Edmonton and Capital Region with the vision of making Edmonton the Aboriginal Business Capital of Canada.
The Edmonton Aboriginal Business & Professional Association is recruiting for an Executive Director position. The function of the Executive Director is to maintain, promote and develop all areas of the business to ensure accomplishment of the company’s vision and mission.
Reporting to the Board of the EABPA, the Executive Director (ED) is responsible and accountable to the Board for the implementation of the EABPA business plan and other relevant policy direction established by the Board.
- Supporting the Board of the EABPA by providing secretariat services to the Board, including agenda management, attending Board meetings to provide reporting on the status and progress of implementation of the Board’s plans and direction, as well as providing general advice to the Board.
- Supporting the Secretary/Treasurer in maintaining membership records, financial records, and any other record keeping required to fulfill commitments of the EABPA.
- Marketing and membership development through development and maintenance of the EABPA website and social networking programs, organizing public events such as mixers, and networking opportunities, etc.
- Developing program and project initiatives, in partnership with government, the private sector, and the post-secondary sector to address the priority development needs of members.
- Plan and coordinate annual EABPA fundraising and member activities and events.
- Spearheading communications for the EABPA with stakeholders.
- Determining priority member needs, maintaining liaison with current and potential institutional partners and public relations.
- Procuring contract services, subject to direction of an approval by the Board, and managing relationships with contractors providing services in areas such as administrative support, information technology, legal and accounting advice.
- Familiarity with Aboriginal culture and experience working with Aboriginal organizations is an asset.
- Demonstrated understanding of the economic and business environment in Edmonton and Alberta.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, particularly with respect to project development, proposal writing, and report writing.
- Project management experience.
- Information technology skills, including proficiency in MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Experience delivering presentations to large audiences.
- Experience in marketing and development of membership-based organizations, particularly through proficient and appropriate use of social networking.
- Experience working with various levels of funders and funding agreements.
- Experience in office administration and event management.
- Experience in human resources process and legislation.
- Ideal candidates will possess a post-secondary certificate/degree in a related field (Business Administration, Economic Development, and Marketing) plus have five (5) years related experience. Equivalencies and years of experience will also be considered.
- This position requires an out-going self starter who has a strong understanding of the business and Aboriginal community in Edmonton and Alberta. The successful candidate will be solution focused, have the ability to interact professionally with people, government, and organizations at all levels and will possess excellent networking and cold-calling abilities. As well, the successful candidate will have the ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external contacts, with an emphasis on capacity for successful issue management and negotiation.
- Salary Range: Base salary plus a benefit package
Candidates are invited to email a cover letter which addresses the qualifications attention Recruitment Committee. Submissions will be accepted up until 5:00 p.m. February 28, 2013.
The successful candidate must be able to travel and work outside regular work hours from time to time.
The Board of Directors thanks all interested applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 17 months ago