Ecolab

Ecolab Employee Reviews

The best company I ever worked for, fun, productive and well liked.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 5, 2015
Responsible for the accurate and timely processing of invoices, expenses and payments
Investigate and resolve outstanding concerns in a timely manner.
Handle all confidential and time-sensitive material proficiently.
Responsible for ensuring proper approvals are in place and investigate any issues regarding reports.
Checked figures, postings and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy and proper codes.
Ensure invoices and purchase order information was matched.
Ensured that invoices were paid in accordance with vendor terms and corporate policy.
Ensured proper maintenance of customer records.
Pros
Free Lunches
Good for part time job.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 6, 2015
Good experience. Cool management and you are just required to meet the target and you can work the way you want to get the job done.
Pros
Easy Work.
Cons
Boring as you work alone and you cannot even talk to people.
Great corporate culture
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONAugust 16, 2015
No 2 days are alike, the only constant is change. My manager and upper management is great. I've learned a great deal regarding various management styles and managing self. The company overall is a good culture and they have a lot to offer. The most enjoyable part of my job is finding out the customers needs, finding a solution and creating proposals based on my findings.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
24/7 on-call
Multi-tasking in a fast paced environment
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 8, 2015
The ability to multi-task is essential to their fast paced environment. Your hard work is acknowledged and salary and benefits are well.
Pros
Cafeteria food is amazing
Cons
Staring at the computer screen all day long
Very good culture where people were supportive
Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioJune 23, 2015
This was a position where I had to learn procedures by myself; a large part of my position was identifying cost centers and expenses for invoices. In addition, I also had to reconcile the inventory accounts between the costing system and the general ledger.

Management was very open and willing to assist in any way possible. The hardest part of the job was not having any procedures in place, and the most enjoyable was the interaction with other people in the department and other departments.
Do not recommend.
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  CanadaJune 15, 2015
This company is great for single guys who don't have a family. You are expected to be on call 24/5. + weekends every few weeks. Monday to Friday answering calls day and night and going out as needed by customers. Sometimes going out at 10pm working till 2am to fix a machine. They say this is a sales job, but it is really 95% service and 5% sales. (TM - Territory Manager position)

Start month with a set number of commitments given by Ecolab, you have to visit and inspect all equipment on customer site and have them sign off. Any issues you fix. Can be anywhere from 50-80 customers to visit. Basically have 20-25 days to do this each month. Then are expected to hit budget given by Ecolab each month by going out and selling. On top of this, you answer all pages from Ecolab on your own phone regarding customer problems. As mentioned before can be anytime of the day. Monday to Friday. No compensation. Can work 5am till 2am next day and no day off. No compensation.

Company manager mentality is "if it has worked the past 90 years it works now" 90 years ago, a lot has changed... even in basic labour rights.

Co workers are amazing and will help you out. If you need coverage they have to cover your territory and their own. and you do same for them, or you wont be getting time off.

Weekend on Calls, you will have to do anywhere from every 3 weeks to 10 weeks. Depending on location. You are responsible for the whole district (all your co workers territories and your own) to answer all calls from 5pm on Friday till Monday 6:30am. Sometimes you can get
  more... 20 calls all weekend, so don't make any plans to do anything or go anywhere. Want to go see a movie? (you cant) want to have friends over (you can, but be prepared to leave them) All calls need to be answered in the hour, and you should be on site in a reasonable time. Customer can be very demanding and do not understand or care that we have no compensation for weekend on call or extra calls.

Benefits - Car for personal use, however you have to log the kms. if you go over a certain amount, you pay in taxes for it. Keep under 5%. Set own hours (as long as you meet commitments, hit budget and answer all customer requests)

Excellent training program. Fly you to US for hotel and food, 5 weeks total (1 week US, 1 week Canada Training etc.)
Learn a lot, teachers are amazing, co workers are helpful, you need to have this support to survive this job.

Parts are hard to come by, sometimes have to drive hours to pick up a part from another district, or drive to head office to pick up chemical and deliver to customer ( even though they say you are not allowed to put these 20L pails of chemicals in your car as per policy, for labour laws it is against the rules, but you do it anyway as is expected.

There is no transparency regarding what you buy in your terriroty, they tell you its worth this $$$ this much and your 50k salary you start with goes to about 5k or less and the rest is you owning your territory on commission, if customers don't buy, you don't get paid.

This company could easily pay out 100% dental and medical, but only 80% coverage. They make a lot of money and overcharge customers.
Pros
Car, Laptop, Tools
Cons
long hours, always on call, no compensation. Benefits could be better
It is a Busy workplace.
PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 8, 2015
The company is good place to work with. The workers are all nice and easy to work with. It requires a lot of my time. The most enjoyable part working in this company is talking to people.
great place to work for, great people
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 8, 2015
Positive attitude, great atmosphere, everyone's friendly. Feels like a family. Part-time manager is one of the greatest managers I've worked for.
Was used just to work here for three months
Pick/Order -Shipper (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 3, 2014
Basically I was hired as a pick/order and was only with the company for 3 months. I asked for one week off to go overseas to my brother's wedding and I was told there was no problem with that. About several weeks before the wedding I get a letter saying that they did not need me after I came back from the wedding and that I violated the contract. This would have helped If they would have let me know at that time, instead of saying it was ok in the first place. The pay was good at $23.50 hr, but apparently when I was talking with the other employees they said it is a hard company to get into. This one employee told me he was working there for a year and they only kept him because the guy he was replacing had cancer and they did not know when he was coming back, another guy started a week before me and basically was replacing someone who just retired from the company. So it was bad timing on my part. Such was my fate.
Great place for sales professionals eager to excel.
VICE PRESIDENT, SALES (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNDecember 2, 2014
Sound leadership culture with strong desire to win. Acquires top talent at all levels with strong advancement opportunities.

Want to know more about Ecolab?

Ask a question
Credit and Collections
Credit and Collections Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 30, 2014
Review and release customer orders based on cut off times.
Collect on all outstanding balances.
Deal with customer concerns in a timely fashion
Work closely with the manger, corporate accounts and upper management with any concerns with the customer to make sure that the customers needs are met and we get paid
Looked after 1400 accounts at one time, with some of them very high profile and demanding.
The most satisfy part of the job was building customer relationships and receiving payment for outstanding invoices.
The hardest part of the job was getting someone to pay there bill if I couldn't get them on the phone.
Being able to multi task as different situations are brought to your attention.. (working on one account and then another issue needs to be addressed asap.
Worked with third party collection agency when accounts were sent to collections
great fortune 500 company
Sales Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 10, 2014
Great company learned a lot on the hospitality industry.
Only left when I transferred from Toronto to Calgary. Started my own business.
Pros
great corporate culture
Cons
management tight control no independent thinking
Extremely poor management
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  toronto, onJanuary 9, 2014
great company to work for if you enjoy never being acknowledged,
Management is extremely poor, it is definitely the "old boys cub".
Company has a history of mass terminations every year in December. Good luck
Pros
company car
Cons
everything else
If you like sales, you can become successful
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 26, 2013
Unfortunately I am not a salesperson so this career path did not work out for me.
The benefits and some of the perks are great.
stress and politics culture.
clerk (Former Employee) –  torontoMarch 10, 2013
if you love stress, domination of co-workers, ethnic loyalty, creating trouble for others, if u got misreable personal life and want to take it out on co-workers, ya ECOLAB is the place to work.

ecolab got nothing new, no innovation, stone ages work methods, years old used machines in use, cutting costs is very important and employees not important. old grumpy employees dont want better methods of working, they are that LAZY, dont want to learn.

work in ecolab and marry stress, not your hubby or boyfriend. You are just 1 employee who can be replaced at any time. Even if you slaved for 25 years, SO WHAT?
benefits
Cons
politics, stress, ethnic groups, high work pressure, zero respect
Long days and very little management support...only as good as your last deal
assistant vice president (Former Employee) –  CanadaFebruary 11, 2013
Do not expect to advance if you are not well liked by a senior manager and do not possess an MBA. Top 3 per cent are getting wealthy while the bottom of the pyramid does the heavy lifting! If you like to be treated with respect and value life balance this is not for you. Keep looking outside EGOLAB!
Pros
large cash rich company with strong growth
Cons
opportunities are limited to select groups and the young mba crowd!
good
chemical mixer opt (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 12, 2012
i enjoy my work.i m there to put my best afford.help each other to reach the goal.since i start working with them we are hitting our target every week..giving them new ideas.work smarter not harder.
Lost its appeal!
TERRITORY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 25, 2012
For a company that was so steaped in its culture at one point and time, it has gone down dramatically. Work/life balance is unheard of. Management behaves with little integrity and continue to further their careers at the expense of their people. Constant push for more and working within a thankless industry will take its toll.
Pros
decent pay if you work hard and a company car
Cons
12-16 hour days to get to that "decent pay"
Confusion au quotidien
Gérant de territoire (Former Employee) –  MontréalJune 16, 2015
On m'a mentionné a mon embauche que l'emploi comme gérant de territoire serait dans la vente. Mais en réalité j'ai passé les 18 mois de mon association a réparer des lave-vaisselles, des adouciseurs d'eau et de l'equipement sans avoir les compétences ni la formation pour le faire. Ma maison était devenu une véritable entrepot de pièces car je devais avoir en ma possession toute les pieces pour réparer les appareil

Aspect désagréable: Le reste.
Pros
Le véhicule, la formation au Minnesota
Cons
Le reste
Envirennement excellent et professionnel
Représentant des ventes (Former Employee) –  Québec, QCJune 14, 2012
* La journee de travail et agreable pleine provocation.
* Pas de limite pour developpement.
* Le management excellent et professionnel
* Son tres serviable et efficase
* Reparation de lave vaisselle
* De rencontre les clients , offrire un excellent service,rencontrer
different categorie de gents et de professions.
Pros
evolution de carriere et equibre vie professionnel
Cons
mon opinion pas de point negatif