Ecolab Employee Reviews

TM in Edmonton Market Instituional
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 January 2017
Little support from management in Edmonton market. Coworkers were eager to help as they are in the same boat of being on call 24 hrs a day, Area manager was disconnected as some workers during my tenure there were lazy and their territories were in terrible shape and when i was on call on weekends for the entire Edmonton area (10 times a year 24 hrs a day) you worked your butt off. In the neglected territories no less. Lots of turnover as the company has difficulty retaining people. Money was poor as the start salary is 44K a year. I was Presidents Club twice and was refused a transfer because a lazy boss stood in my way.
Pros
Freedom and a boss that is out of touch. Dead end job
Cons
24 hrs on call and lousy money.
Work environment
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 October 2016
Comfortable workplace, friendly staff, good salary, good location, easy access.
While working at Ecolab I learned that a good relationship with your supervisor, and coworkers is the key to a successful and healthy work environment.
Great company to work for .
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 February 2016
One stayed busy from morning to night. Besides daily, weekly and monthly work plans and scheduling the on call 24/7 for service maintenance was a requirement. Monthly budgets and annual budgets were also a requirement. The hardest part of the job was to be interrupted during family time and have to go on an emergency service call. I learned with this company how to manage not only my time but the customers needs. I could only sell what I believe in and my job was to ensure use cost was the important ingredient to save money with this program and products for the customer. The traveling was fun and I managed to enjoy the trips and scenery as I enjoy driving.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits and not trapped in an office
Cons
24/7 emergency on call and no weekends or evenings ever free unless vacation.
Overall great company to work for
Route Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 April 2016
long days
have a lot of different machines that you stock parts for
some of the new field staff are inexperienced so some days were challenging helping them fix machines. The rest of the guys were great and and we would help each other out. I will not comment on the management. Thats a private conversation
Pros
flexable work hours, good benefits
Cons
territories are too big to manage effectivly
Good Multinational Company
National Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 September 2016
The culture is very friendly, everyone dresses in full suit and ties all day long, very professional. Great Job Security once you're in and excellent career pathing.
Do not work here....EVER!
Pest Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Ontario23 October 2016
This company has the worst management. You will get zero support and will be expected to work day and night. Only work here if you are very desperate for a job. Then get trained and move on as fast as you can!
Pros
Cons
Regional and district managers.
Lots of work
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 December 2016
Hard to be on call 5 days a week 24 hours.
Tough to be a sales person as well as a technician.
They teach and treat there employees awesome.
Hard with a young family
Pros
Good money and training
Cons
On call 24 hours 5 days a week
Encouraging Place and very motivated team; very good co-workers and was a place for advancement
Pricing and Rebate Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 August 2016
Ecolab company was a wonderful place, very motivated team and was a wonderful and fun place to work. Wonderful opportunities to grow and lot of opportunities for advancement.
Awesome culture
Associate Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 October 2016
People at Ecolab are extremely helpful and supportive, regardless of which department they work for. When I have a question, I do not have to talk to more than 2 people to get my issue resolved.
stress and politics culture.
clerk (Former Employee) –  toronto10 March 2013
if you love stress, domination of co-workers, ethnic loyalty, creating trouble for others, if u got misreable personal life and want to take it out on co-workers, ya ECOLAB is the place to work.

ecolab got nothing new, no innovation, stone ages work methods, years old used machines in use, cutting costs is very important and employees not important. old grumpy employees dont want better methods of working, they are that LAZY, dont want to learn.

work in ecolab and marry stress, not your hubby or boyfriend. You are just 1 employee who can be replaced at any time. Even if you slaved for 25 years, SO WHAT?
benefits
Cons
politics, stress, ethnic groups, high work pressure, zero respect
Mechanical Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 June 2016
Awesome people to work with and overall fun job. Would gladly work there again if given the opportunity. Not much job advancement however.
Pros
Cons
commute is too long
Get out while you are ahead
Gérant de Territoire (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC9 March 2016
Ecolab was a great job for the first 3 years of employement. After making budget for 3 consecutive years, I had multipule problems with alocation of sales to my accounts. Management did not help after numerous attempts to rectify the situation by myself. They then used this reason to cut my employement. My 4th year I had 97% sales. During my 5th year I was at 91%, and my missing sales would maybe not have put me at 100%, but very close.

Good job for 2-3 years.
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
If management wants you gone. then you're gone
Multi-tasking in a fast paced environment
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 July 2015
The ability to multi-task is essential to their fast paced environment. Your hard work is acknowledged and salary and benefits are well.
Pros
Cafeteria food is amazing
Cons
Staring at the computer screen all day long
Lost its appeal!
TERRITORY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 May 2012
For a company that was so steaped in its culture at one point and time, it has gone down dramatically. Work/life balance is unheard of. Management behaves with little integrity and continue to further their careers at the expense of their people. Constant push for more and working within a thankless industry will take its toll.
Pros
decent pay if you work hard and a company car
Cons
12-16 hour days to get to that "decent pay"
If you like sales, you can become successful
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 October 2013
Unfortunately I am not a salesperson so this career path did not work out for me.
The benefits and some of the perks are great.
Do not recommend.
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada15 June 2015
This company is great for single guys who don't have a family. You are expected to be on call 24/5. + weekends every few weeks. Monday to Friday answering calls day and night and going out as needed by customers. Sometimes going out at 10pm working till 2am to fix a machine. They say this is a sales job, but it is really 95% service and 5% sales. (TM - Territory Manager position)

Start month with a set number of commitments given by Ecolab, you have to visit and inspect all equipment on customer site and have them sign off. Any issues you fix. Can be anywhere from 50-80 customers to visit. Basically have 20-25 days to do this each month. Then are expected to hit budget given by Ecolab each month by going out and selling. On top of this, you answer all pages from Ecolab on your own phone regarding customer problems. As mentioned before can be anytime of the day. Monday to Friday. No compensation. Can work 5am till 2am next day and no day off. No compensation.

Company manager mentality is "if it has worked the past 90 years it works now" 90 years ago, a lot has changed... even in basic labour rights.

Co workers are amazing and will help you out. If you need coverage they have to cover your territory and their own. and you do same for them, or you wont be getting time off.

Weekend on Calls, you will have to do anywhere from every 3 weeks to 10 weeks. Depending on location. You are responsible for the whole district (all your co workers territories and your own) to answer all calls from 5pm on Friday till Monday 6:30am. Sometimes you can get
  more... 20 calls all weekend, so don't make any plans to do anything or go anywhere. Want to go see a movie? (you cant) want to have friends over (you can, but be prepared to leave them) All calls need to be answered in the hour, and you should be on site in a reasonable time. Customer can be very demanding and do not understand or care that we have no compensation for weekend on call or extra calls.

Benefits - Car for personal use, however you have to log the kms. if you go over a certain amount, you pay in taxes for it. Keep under 5%. Set own hours (as long as you meet commitments, hit budget and answer all customer requests)

Excellent training program. Fly you to US for hotel and food, 5 weeks total (1 week US, 1 week Canada Training etc.)
Learn a lot, teachers are amazing, co workers are helpful, you need to have this support to survive this job.

Parts are hard to come by, sometimes have to drive hours to pick up a part from another district, or drive to head office to pick up chemical and deliver to customer ( even though they say you are not allowed to put these 20L pails of chemicals in your car as per policy, for labour laws it is against the rules, but you do it anyway as is expected.

There is no transparency regarding what you buy in your terriroty, they tell you its worth this $$$ this much and your 50k salary you start with goes to about 5k or less and the rest is you owning your territory on commission, if customers don't buy, you don't get paid.

This company could easily pay out 100% dental and medical, but only 80% coverage. They make a lot of money and overcharge customers.
Pros
Car, Laptop, Tools
Cons
long hours, always on call, no compensation. Benefits could be better
The best company I ever worked for, fun, productive and well liked.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 November 2015
Responsible for the accurate and timely processing of invoices, expenses and payments
Investigate and resolve outstanding concerns in a timely manner.
Handle all confidential and time-sensitive material proficiently.
Responsible for ensuring proper approvals are in place and investigate any issues regarding reports.
Checked figures, postings and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy and proper codes.
Ensure invoices and purchase order information was matched.
Ensured that invoices were paid in accordance with vendor terms and corporate policy.
Ensured proper maintenance of customer records.
Pros
Free Lunches
Great corporate culture
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON16 August 2015
No 2 days are alike, the only constant is change. My manager and upper management is great. I've learned a great deal regarding various management styles and managing self. The company overall is a good culture and they have a lot to offer. The most enjoyable part of my job is finding out the customers needs, finding a solution and creating proposals based on my findings.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
24/7 on-call
Credit and Collections
Credit and Collections Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 May 2014
Review and release customer orders based on cut off times.
Collect on all outstanding balances.
Deal with customer concerns in a timely fashion
Work closely with the manger, corporate accounts and upper management with any concerns with the customer to make sure that the customers needs are met and we get paid
Looked after 1400 accounts at one time, with some of them very high profile and demanding.
The most satisfy part of the job was building customer relationships and receiving payment for outstanding invoices.
The hardest part of the job was getting someone to pay there bill if I couldn't get them on the phone.
Being able to multi task as different situations are brought to your attention.. (working on one account and then another issue needs to be addressed asap.
Worked with third party collection agency when accounts were sent to collections
Very good culture where people were supportive
Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, Ontario23 June 2015
This was a position where I had to learn procedures by myself; a large part of my position was identifying cost centers and expenses for invoices. In addition, I also had to reconcile the inventory accounts between the costing system and the general ledger.

Management was very open and willing to assist in any way possible. The hardest part of the job was not having any procedures in place, and the most enjoyable was the interaction with other people in the department and other departments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ecolab. Our community is ready to answer.

77%