Ecojustice Canada is Canada’s leading non-profit organization devoted to using the law to protect and restore the environment. Since 1990, we have helped hundreds of groups, coalitions and communities expose lawbreakers, hold governments accountable and establish powerful legal precedents in defence of air, water, wildlife, natural spaces and human health.
Here is an outstanding opportunity for a qualified Legal Administrative Assistant to contribute to Ecojustice’s vision to be Canada’s most effective, respected and courageous advocate on environmental legal issues. You can find out more about Ecojustice at: www.ecojustice.ca
About the Role:
As our full-time Legal Administrative Assistant, you will provide legal administrative assistance to lawyers and scientists, prepare litigation materials, file court documents and provide general assistance by:
- Opening and closing files
- Maintaining current filing system for litigation and other project files, including pleadings, correspondence, etc.
- Performing Internet research when needed
- Handling incoming and outgoing mail, faxes, couriers, phone calls and e-mails
- Answering client and opposing counsel telephone calls and general inquiries and serving documents to opposing counsel when necessary
- Assisting with ordering and maintaining updates for the legal library and circulating materials to lawyers, scientists and students
- Typing correspondence and legal documents and drafting service documents and correspondence
- Communicating with Court Registries
- Assembling, copying and binding Chamber Records, Application Records, Books of Authorities, Factums, Motion Records, Trial Briefs, Appeal Books and Affidavits
- Drafting indexes and preparing correctly formatted paper and electronic documents for court
- Attending various court offices to file documents as needed
- Preparing expense reports
- Coordinating travel arrangements
Ideally, your Legal Administrative Assistant or Legal Assistant certification is supplemented by at least 3 to 5 years of legal/law office experience.
You will be knowledgeable about Provincial Superior Court (e.g. BC Supreme Court), Federal Court and Supreme Court of Canada rules and procedures, and about general law office and litigation procedures. You will keep abreast of current court and litigation procedures and have a good understanding of the court system in Canada, including appropriate legal citation rules, and of electronic filing systems used by the various courts.
As outlined below, we are seeking a uniquely talented and flexible team player who has demonstrated computer abilities, excellent multitasking ability and strong attention to detail:
- MS Office skills, with high proficiency in Word, Outlook and Excel
- Adobe Acrobat Professional knowledge and experience
- Word processing skills, with fast and accurate keyboarding, machine transcription, and document formatting skills
- Internet skills and an aptitude for learning new technologies
- Ability to operate general office equipment
- Basic accounting knowledge
- Responsible, reliable, flexible team player with ability to work overtime and on weekends if necessary
- Adept at prioritizing, keeping track of assigned tasks, and multitasking
- Ability to maintain high standards and attention to detail while working under pressure
Ecojustice offers a positive work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. Our Vancouver office is located in the historic Gastown area and is within easy access to transit.
This is a unionized position covered by a Collective Agreement with COPE 378.
If you care about the environment and want to apply your legal administrative assistant skills in a non-traditional legal office, you are encouraged to submit a cover letter and resume as soon as possible and by no later than March 18, 2013.
Thank you for your interest in this career opportunity. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.