We are a committed group of lawyers, scientists and professionals who believe in the power of the law to protect and restore our environment. We are a national charity with a strong 24 year history and four offices across the country. Our clients include environmental organizations, First Nations, individuals, grassroots community coalitions and municipalities.
We are independent, acting solely on behalf of what is right for the Canadian environment and the people of Canada. To learn more about the impactful work that we do to protect and restore Canada’s environment go to: http://www.ecojustice.ca/.
If you can envision Canada’s environment as healthy, thriving and protected by excellent, well-enforced laws and want to contribute your organization leadership expertise to help us realize our lofty goals, then we want to hear from you.
About the Role:
The Director of Operations and Internal Relations is a key member of the leadership team working in collaboration with the Executive Director, Leadership Team and Board of Directors and is responsible for the strategic management and allocation of human resources and the identification and effective implementation of operational and administrative initiatives across the organization.
Reporting to the Executive Director, you will oversee human resources, finances, operations and infrastructure, technology and information systems and regulatory governance of the organization, with senior staff in these areas reporting to you.
We are seeking an experienced executive with demonstrated leadership skills, people management skills, solid ethics and appropriate care and discretion in all dealings. You will have diverse knowledge and skills including an in-depth knowledge of:
- human resources management
- organizational development
- risk management
- project management
We also require a working knowledge of financial management and information systems.
This is a permanent 4 day a week position. The position is based in Vancouver, requiring periodic travel within Canada.
As a key member of our leadership team, you will operate with a high degree of independence in fulfilling the following major responsibilities:
- Driving and enabling internal capacity across all departments and offices, by ensuring that each is adequately resourced and properly equipped with the tools, training, skills and infrastructure required to achieve organizational goals
- Identifying opportunities to collaborate and strategically integrate resources and meet objectives across the organization
- Overseeing operations, facilities and equipment maintenance, ensuring a safe and continuously functional environment and the security and functionality of all assets
- Managing facility related issues which includes lease agreements and office moves, and acting as a liaison with building management, realtors, contractors, etc. as required, as well as space and infrastructure management and support
- Reporting to the Leadership Team, other members of the organization and the Board of Directors on departmental goals and outcomes, and sharing strategic information and learnings within the organization
- Identifying and undertaking networking opportunities, building relationships with colleagues at other organizations and acting as an ambassador for the organization within and beyond the environmental community
You have a university degree in business, finance, human resources, organizational development or a related field. A CHRP designation is preferred. This education is supplemented by at least 10 years of relevant human resource management or business experience, including a minimum of 5 years in a senior leadership position. Your relevant experience was preferably gained at a non-profit or environmental nongovernmental organization. Experience in a union environment is also an asset.
As our ideal candidate, you are deeply passionate about environmental and social justice issues and are an accomplished manager or executive who has skills in these key competency areas:
- Diverse knowledge of core HR functions, with an understanding of their applied practices and principles
- Strategic leadership skills that assist with the planning, execution and evaluation of organizational strategies
- Management of operations and facilities in an organization with multiple locations
- Risk management
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, collaboration, networking and relationship management skills that enable you to motivate, develop and inspire others
- Management of complex projects and organizational change efforts and delivering desired results in a fast-paced high-performance team environment
- Knowledge of current and emerging information technology and systems to enable you to provide guidance and direction to the development and implementation of IT initiatives
- Experience with financial reporting and budget preparation and monitoring.
Ecojustice is an equal opportunity employer, offering a positive and dynamic work environment.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter that highlights relevant experience and qualifications, as well as a detailed resume, by August 18, 2014.
Thank you for your interest in this career opportunity. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.