Ecojustice is Canada’s leading non-profit organization devoted to using the law to protect and restore the environment. Since 1990, we have helped hundreds of groups, coalitions and communities expose lawbreakers, hold governments accountable and establish powerful legal precedents in defence of air, water, wildlife, natural spaces and human health.
About the Role:
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Communications & Marketing conceptualizes, oversees and evaluates strategies that promote Ecojustice’s brand and reputation as Canada’s legal champion for a healthy environment. Your efforts will dovetail with the work of legal, science, philanthropy and other staff to advance Ecojustice’s mission and vision to be Canada’s most effective, respected and courageous advocate on environmental legal issues.
We are seeking an experienced communications professional and manager who will hit the ground running to cover this one-year maternity leave position slated to begin in the latter half of February 2013. This strategic leadership role may be based out of either our Vancouver or Toronto locations and may require periodic travel within Canada. Guided by an existing strategic communications plan, you would operate with a high degree of independence in fulfilling the following major responsibilities:
- Envisioning and achieving organizational success in collaboration with the Executive Director, leadership team and Board of Directors
- Contributing to the development and implementation of organizational plans and budgets
- Stewarding Ecojustice’s brand through excellence in communications, marketing and public engagement
- Managing, training and mentoring the three-person Communications & Marketing team, and providing support and guidance on priority projects and major initiatives
- Collaborating with philanthropy, program and other leadership team members and staff to ensure strategic integration between departments
- Partnering with clients, allies and counterparts at other organizations to develop and launch coalition communications
You have a university degree in communications, journalism, public relations, marketing or a related field. This is supplemented by at least 5 to 7 years of relevant experience in communications, including a minimum of 2 to 3 years in managing a communications team. Your relevant experience was preferably gained at a non-profit or environmental nongovernmental organization.
As our ideal candidate, you are deeply passionate about environmental and social justice issues and are an accomplished communications manager or executive who has honed your skills in these key competency areas:
- Communications, marketing, branding, digital communications, public engagement, writing and editing, public relations and/or design expertise
- Strategic leadership, planning and project management skills (including budgeting and administration)
- Credibility and effectiveness as a manager, with the ability to bring out the best in your team
- Demonstrated ability to act as a role model, with your behaviour, conduct, ethics and values closely aligned to an organizational culture committed to excellence
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, collaboration, networking and relationship management skills
- An aptitude for managing complex projects and delivering desired results in a fast-paced high-performance team environment
Ecojustice is an equal opportunity employer, offering a positive and dynamic work environment.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter that highlights relevant experience and qualifications, as well as a detailed resume, by December 21, 2012. To learn more, please visit our website at http://www.ecojustice.ca/about/jobs
Thank you for your interest in this career opportunity. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.