EB Games Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun place with overall great management
Albert - Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, ABMay 31, 2016
A typical day of work starts with showing up and always greeting coworkers as if they are close friends. Once started the customers always came first above all else; we always have great conversations about what video games are fun thus creating a welcoming environment. Management were mostly always leaders instead of bosses and would almost always lead by example. The most enjoyable was always getting so many different opinions on what was hot and new.
Pros
Discounts on video games
Cons
hours were fairly irregular
EB Games is a sales job, can't sell, don't bother.
Sales Associate/Keyholder (Current Employee) –  OttawaJune 16, 2016
The whole thing of course is about money, if you can't perform for them then don't bother. There's little room to move up. If you can't sell then you just won't get hours. It's another job that will expect you to make the company a lot of money but pay you as little as possible, the only benefit is it doesn't suck nearly as bad as some other jobs.
Pros
discount on games
Cons
no benefits
One of the Best Job's I've Ever Had...But...
Senior Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ONJune 27, 2016
I worked for EB Games for 10 years and loved working there. The customers I met were great and most of the people I worked with were fantastic BUT...the management above store level had some big issues and problems. The high up management does not care about store level employees we are just numbers to them.
Pros
The people
Cons
Head Office
EB games
Keyholder / Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 15, 2016
I have learned about how to help customers to the best of my abilities concerning warranties, problems, and policies with the store. Having an answer ready. Knowing how to put emotions aside.

The staff are supposed to be friendly and really into gaming. Driven by the passion of gaming.

Having to meet a high standard

Fun social atmosphere. Easy to have while going to school, and balancing life.
Pros
fun atmosphere, nice staff, easy going
Cons
High expectation to sell bad warranties. Feel dispensable.
fun and educational workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 21, 2016
I co-oped at EB Games. I had a great learning experience and wish to apply for my first chances of employment. EB Games taught me customer service and discipline in keeping track of inventory and management. I learned to be eager in helping customers receive satisfaction as to what they were looking for, even to call others stores if we were out of stock. Treating every customer with the same amount of respected service and always performing duties around the store in keeping it clean and presentable. I look forward in my future opportunities and wish to carry on in my efforts.
Fun work place with terrible management
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCMarch 11, 2016
Typical day includes unpacking games, and cleaning the store. Co workers are awesome but management is terrible. A lot of numbers like warranties are talked about but management gives no training or very little on how to improve, and also is on the store passing off cutsomers to the reps and not selling them selves. Then complain when reps have not up to company standard number's.
Volunteer work
Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  WhitbyAugust 20, 2016
I was at EB games for coop and would keep the store looking presentable or other various tasks. I would also organize the games into each of their rightful cases which takes some time and organization with alphabetization.
Pros
You're around video games
Cons
N/A
O.K.
Retail/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCJune 15, 2016
I really enjoyed helping customers find product. Loved talking to people and fellow employees. I found the upper management to be a downer sometimes and the pay was not too good.
Pros
customers, games, retail experience
Cons
upper management, payrate
Fun atmosphere
Employee (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 2, 2016
Fun atmosphere, discounts were a perk, but upper management has no care for their employees and sets their own procedures for this store that does not directly correlate with the company's policies. Upper management has a lack of compassion for their employees and does not follow through with serious incidents pertaining to this store.
Pros
Discounts, good atmosphere, knowledgable staff, good scheduling
Cons
Upper Management, Inability to resolve serious issues within the store, lack of coaching
Daliy Job Requirments
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2016
• Open & close retail store
• Retail sales in video games, gaming consoles, PC games and accessories
• Processed daily inventory for different types of games
• Clean up retail store daily vacuuming, cleaning windows
• Alphabetically organized video games , PC games & accessories
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Pay Amount To Low
A great environment to further myseld
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 19, 2016
I was given given an opportunity to gain skills that I did not have but to use my hardworking, initiative to gain skill I wasn't given. To work with driven people. To work with great people was a privilege.
Fun place to work
Cashier/Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 26, 2016
Working at EB games and able to interact with other "Gamers" was awesome, Would work there again if I had the chance.

Enjoyed working the midnight launches for highly anticipated games
Pros
Midnight Launches
Cons
Price Changing EVERY game on shelf everyday
do not recommend
Commis de plancher & Caissière (Former Employee) –  Beloeil, QCApril 29, 2016
No team work and left to self all the time. Not a good working experience and no chances to learn other then on the spot. Customers are pleasant, easy to talk to and will try to lend a hand when managers won't
Pros
video games
Cons
bad management
Working in the gaming industry is an amazing opportunity. Working for EB Games was not.
SENIOR SALES ASSOCIATE/ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2016
Working for this company was not a pleasant experience. The pay is terrible. The company policies will always put you, the minimum wage employee, last. Even before extremely rude and threatening customers.

While I gained some pretty good product knowledge, it didn't come close to balancing out the terrible environment that is fostered by the company.
A great experience for customer service.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 1, 2016
Each day the role of the employees covered everything due to the small store and small staff. Responsibilities included: Marketing, Merchandising, Sales, Customer Service, Regional Stock Balancing, Handling Cash, Opening and Closing, Troubleshooting, Daily Revenue Paperwork. This job taught myself how to work in groups, advanced my customer service, time management, cash and card handling. Management at a local level was fantastic and very responsive, the general and regional managers often were overstretched and time was needed to communicate with them. The co-workers were fun, helpful, and supportive to each other causing efficient and effective work to be completed. The hardest part of the job was difficult customers and attempting to reach the best solution for both the company and the customer. The most enjoyable part of this job was definitely the people I worked with.
Pros
Great hours, Great co-workers, Interesting Product
Cons
Long slow hours during the week
Fun place in store.. Bad Field management
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJune 23, 2016
loved my store and all the people that worked and visited the store but the field management team was temperamental and down right unprofessional sometimes.
Coop Term
Retail Labourer (Former Employee) –  Barrhaven, ONJune 18, 2016
Great people. Learned about retail business. Got to help clients with gaming issues and questions. As I am a gamer, this job was very interesting.
Pros
Related to my personal interests
Cons
Coop term, no salary.
Work Education Student
Work Education Student (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 6, 2016
I was excited to work for the store. I wanted since age of 16, but requirement is at least 17 due to selling Mature Rated Games. It was always helping the customers that makes the store run.
Great environment with good clientele
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 17, 2016
A great environment to work in, with good staff and a fun culture. A fantastic fit for people who are passionate about the video game industry.
Good
Full-Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 13, 2016
If you love gaming culture you will love working for EB. Discount sucks. Upper management is far to controlling of store managers. Lots of stock and heavy lifting.