EB Games Employee Reviews

Poor management and co workers
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC14 August 2016
EB games was a dream of mine to work at as I love games and the community (at times). The job itself was fun, especially the benefits and being able to help like minded individuals with their game choices. However management was extremely poor, as it took months to get me into the system, and the store was a mess. There was never a orderly fashion to anything and it was difficult to find things for impatient customers. Co-workers were equally terrible, as some were rude for no reason other than because I was new. Hardest part of the job was dealing with the customers that didn't get the game they wanted because the disk was missing in the mess of the store. The most fun was chatting about games and offering an opinion that customers valued.
Pros
Working with like minded people
Cons
Bad management and co workers
Was a fun and social place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2017
Working at EB games with a different experience then other work places because I was in a laid back environment surrounded by fun people. I only worked there part time as a seasonal helper and I wish I could have stayed longer.
Pros
Fun, Easy, Laid Back, Social
Cons
Bad Management, Not Enough Hours, Little to no advancement
Fast-paced, Fun & Friendly
Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 January 2017
Being part-time, a typical day usually consisted of me helping out and running for my amazing co-workers or covering cash, or 'The Floor' area of the store during busy customer-traffic hours.

During my time at EB, I had certainly learned a new appreciation for retail and sales, as well as electronics, being as it was one of my first times working at a business as such. Not to mention, was able to use some of my own house-hold electronics a bit better as time passed on!

Management, though unfortunately a little disorganized at times, was usually quite accountable and easy to communicate with, and as far as there being a negative slide to working my position, there honestly wasn't one. I loved working at EB, and perhaps hope to return some day in the future possibly.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and customers, great work/sales/retail experience.
Cons
At times, management is unorganized.
Interactive and socially endearing
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QC4 January 2017
One of the greatest work place experiences I have ever found myself in. The atmosphere and general clientele makes for a great day to day environment, as well as the work itself being quite pleasant if you happen to be a fan of the industry. However the heavy backlash that follows is knowing the content of products you yourself haven't gotten to experience first hand yet, in most cases robbing the urge to explore this new content to begin with. As well as the customer service is not for everyone, and you must be ready to be able to accept that people will never believe what you're explaining to them, and some get irrationally angry or hysterical. It is a medium that a large percentage of the buyers don't even know what they're buying, and the price tag attached makes all but the actually informed quite skeptical. The overall experience is unforgettable however, with great management and likable coworkers, and the regular clients who are more often then not super awesome people and feel at home in the store itself. If one is lucky to make it through the mountains of applications they receive it is an incredibly unique and worthwhile work experience.
High expectations with little or no reward
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 August 2016
EB Games often had fun and interesting people working in their stores. Unfortunately this was not enough to counter balance the issues that upper management has with being overly critical and unresponsive to positive results.

A typical sales associate would be expected to maintain high level competitiveness on at least 8 different company observed metrics (Sales, Warranty's, Trades, Pre-orders, Pre-owned sales, Edge memberships, Survey conversion, Survey scores) for minimum wage. Failure to meet even one of these metrics would result in coaching and possible corrective action.

Stores are frequently left without proper management while lesser management is expected to assume leadership roles for no extra pay or benefit. You could also be expected to work an 8 hour shift, followed by a 3 hour midnight opening shift, followed 6 hours later by another 8 hour opening shift. Payroll would be consistently slashed to save money regardless of impact on store performance or expected traffic.

The overall company culture is of a "You can always do better" mentality. Regardless of how well a store or individual performs they will be shown how and why it wasn't quite good enough and what more is still expected of them.
Pros
Customers and sales associates are typically very friendly
Cons
Low pay, high stress
Great place to work and discover the retail life
Senior Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON29 January 2016
EB games does offer a great experience to learn and grow as a person. Typical days at work would be making the daily quota along with your individuals quotas. Days can be tough when nothing will be going your way and there will be pressure on you to bounce back and do your best to achieve your goal. Management is always helping everyone out. They are very understanding and will also be as open as possible with everyone about whats going on in the workplace. Hardest part of the job is when customers expect the employees to carry all the knowledge about games that have come out and for games that haven't been released yet. The best part about the job is helping customers with something that is used for all ages and anyone can learn from scratch to play a game.
Pros
Constantly around games, coworkers, leadership from managers
Cons
Employee benefits, Advancement within the company.
Friendly Customer Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB8 February 2017
Enjoyed the atmosphere of EB Games, I didn't like the overall company employee agreement. They do the bare minimal to cost along and get what they need done, done.
Pros
Commute, People, Customers
Cons
Hours, Lack of benefits and other needs for daily living expenses.
na
Senior Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2016
Job was easy, but don't expect the pay to be great or a lot of communication from the higher ups. Usually pretty slow most of the year except for the last quarter. Amount of hours given is reflected on sales values.
Pros
not demanding
Cons
really bad upper management and pay
Great Place to work, unless you want to move up
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 August 2016
I worked at EB Games for two years. During that time it was great, you got to meet a lot of amazing customers and got to know repeat customers. Midnight launches were amazing on high anticipated games (CoD, Mass Effect, Consoles, etc)

Field Management team started to get you down when they were in the store trying to help. They constantly push you to continue to push the Warranty Program and constantly up-sell, even when you know your customers after years of helping them.

It's a great place to work when you have a right team who wants to see everyone exceed. What caused me to move on was the fact that I stuck around during transitions and didn't get asked to manage my own store, even with high warranty and multiple customer service rewards. Field Management skipped me saying that I wasn't doing a good enough job.

Staff Discount Program could be better, 25% off of Recycled Games (Standard, but you have to purchase the discount card, which already gives you 10% off). Management Team gets all the perks (Team Building Meets and Vendor Shows)
Pros
Great Team and Management
Cons
Staff Recognition Program, Field Management
Fun bunch of people to work with
Games Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON23 November 2016
The store I worked at was great. Typical Head office red tape. My Manager was good to me and kept my job even though I fell very ill.
Salary is low. The customers and staff are very passionate.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
Not enough hours, low salary
Sales Assistant
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 February 2017
Selling games is fun, and you get to play what you like and see whats coming out. Staff are great and customers are better.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Didn't get to try games
Productive and Extremely fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 October 2016
I really enjoyed working for the company learned stuff along the way that I can use in the future.

I'm hoping to find a career that I would be able to use some or all of the skills and to also learn more.
Pros
Fun employees
Cons
Enjoyable work with video games
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON15 September 2016
Typical shift was 10-20 people coming in to talk and buy video games, management was a blast to work with, coworkers were nice. Enjoyed talking to people with a passion for gaming and looking for knowledge about current or upcoming things
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
only seasonal work
Good place to work!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON1 December 2016
Laid back environment with great products! great culture! and great staff! Learned a lot and would always recommend EB Games.
good employer.
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON6 November 2016
job can get quite boring but other than that they are fair enough and if you can tolerate standing still for 8 hours a day this is the job for you!
Pros
good management
Cons
lazy employees
Fun engaging workplace, perfect for those with a passion for gaming.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS4 February 2017
During my time with EB games I was never bored, even when customer traffic was slow. Everyone you work with will likely share a common passion for gaming making it easy to get along with them and become comfortable. The computer system can be a bit overwhelming at first but learning the tricks is easy.
Pros
Great environment and staff.
Cons
Difficult customers are especially difficult compared to other places.
EB Games is a decent first job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB11 January 2017
The work it self wasn't too bad. I mean it is retail and the holidays can take their toll on people.

The decisions from the higher ups how ever are questionable more than they should be. If you question them and try to propose alternative ideas you get chastised.

Good for a starter job, just very hard to break through the corporate wall from the inside. Most of the decision makers come from outside the company.
Nice starting job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB19 September 2016
Took the way to be fun with and help the customers. Help them find the items they are looking for. I learned the good way to help sell all the items by telling them all about how all items are and how much they would like and use the items. Also helped them learn the Discounts and Sales and accounts they can get into themselves. I was into the Assistant Manager and learned and helped the manager as she taught me all that needed to be done. The co-workers, we admired all the items there. The harder part was getting into all you needed done in your day of work. The most enjoyable was helping all and having fun together.
Pros
Fun to be with.
Cons
Way to hard to be less than Part-Time
A fun first work environment
Front line cashier (Former Employee) –  Sackville, NS12 September 2016
A very good spot to get your first job as it shows you how to react and handle yourself in the retail world as well as teaching you valuable skills to carry with you unto other jobs.
Not much room for advancement.
Good
Full-Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON13 June 2016
If you love gaming culture you will love working for EB. Discount sucks. Upper management is far to controlling of store managers. Lots of stock and heavy lifting.