EB Games Employee Reviews

Great place to work and discover the retail life
Senior Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 29, 2016
EB games does offer a great experience to learn and grow as a person. Typical days at work would be making the daily quota along with your individuals quotas. Days can be tough when nothing will be going your way and there will be pressure on you to bounce back and do your best to achieve your goal. Management is always helping everyone out. They are very understanding and will also be as open as possible with everyone about whats going on in the workplace. Hardest part of the job is when customers expect the employees to carry all the knowledge about games that have come out and for games that haven't been released yet. The best part about the job is helping customers with something that is used for all ages and anyone can learn from scratch to play a game.
Pros
Constantly around games, coworkers, leadership from managers
Cons
Employee benefits, Advancement within the company.
Fun place to work but very few hours
Game expert (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJanuary 21, 2016
I have worked at two different locations in two different provinces and I gotta say in general EB Games is a fun place to work if you get along with your coworkers and management. However if you are looking for a job that gives steady hours, room for advancement, and job security than this job is not for you. It is perfect for students but not people that require the job to be financially stable. The hours are very short and few. They are only required to give one three hour shift every pay period. So one three hour shift every two weeks.
They look at sales stats more than job performance when giving hours. The lower your stats the fewer hours you get. These stats are based on how many warranties and edge cards you sell per week. You don't get commission or any kind of perk for selling these. As far as staff goes. Most of them are gamers so if you are also a gamer you at least have something you like to talk about with others. Very customer service oriented and a lot of up selling is required.
Pros
Friendly staff and video games
Cons
Short shifts, few hours, no room for advancement
fun and educational workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 21, 2016
I co-oped at EB Games. I had a great learning experience and wish to apply for my first chances of employment. EB Games taught me customer service and discipline in keeping track of inventory and management. I learned to be eager in helping customers receive satisfaction as to what they were looking for, even to call others stores if we were out of stock. Treating every customer with the same amount of respected service and always performing duties around the store in keeping it clean and presentable. I look forward in my future opportunities and wish to carry on in my efforts.
less job security
Hardware Technician (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 14, 2016
good for experience but no job security. good job culture. not enough money. very strict about break time. whatever you do for them they will never hire you permanent. only give you a hope until they will done with you.
Poor management and co workers
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCAugust 14, 2016
EB games was a dream of mine to work at as I love games and the community (at times). The job itself was fun, especially the benefits and being able to help like minded individuals with their game choices. However management was extremely poor, as it took months to get me into the system, and the store was a mess. There was never a orderly fashion to anything and it was difficult to find things for impatient customers. Co-workers were equally terrible, as some were rude for no reason other than because I was new. Hardest part of the job was dealing with the customers that didn't get the game they wanted because the disk was missing in the mess of the store. The most fun was chatting about games and offering an opinion that customers valued.
Pros
Working with like minded people
Cons
Bad management and co workers
Fun workplace, working with stuff I enjoy
Customer Service/ Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 15, 2016
A typical day at work would involve sales, marketing, cleaning, and opening and closing the store. I learned a lot from this job, I learned great customer service skills and got to work under some amazing people. I learned how to do paperwork, marketing, organization, management, and how to deal with bad tempered customers. The manager that taught me everything was amazing, he was very thorough and I would recommend working with him. My co-workers were also great, they knew when to stop conversation or cleaning to deal with customers. Your relationship with your co-workers can make a big difference to your work environment and mine was positive. The hardest part of the job was when there was serious down time, when everything is organized and clean you have to find new jobs to do. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to talk with customers about a similar interest and meeting some truly great and interesting people.
Pros
Working with great people, having a good learning environment, helping customers find things they love
Cons
unpaid breaks, a lot of down time
Very fun and enjoyable workplace to start
Game Pro Advisor, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2016
Working at EB games is like being paid to be a nerd. You get to spend all day discussing video games and nerdy culture while trying to sell those products. It's always a fun day and it's hard to be bored.

I have learned a lot about customer service and how to sell a product working at EB games. Trying to keep up to date with all the current gaming knowledge and information is a full time task in itself, you must make sure you are up to date on console specs and updates, make sure you know upcoming games, stats, reviews, information, and add-on information. So i have also learned how and where to keep up to date with accurate information.
But this is all work expected to be done on your own time, since the management above store level doesn't spend a lot of time with their stores, you hardly ever see them. So the stores are pretty much left to fend for themselves and figure things out on their own. which is not the best strategy for retail stores. It leads to customers becoming irritated and not happy when certain product isn't or we haven't been informed of current promotions because the emails weren't sent to us yet.
And job security is a joke. The management above store level will ALWAYS put the customer first. No matter how rude, beligerent, threatening a customer was to you they will always put them first. I have seen coworkers be slashed hours for a fabrication that a customer told head office about.

Howevor the people you work with have been some of the best coworkers i have had. It is always fun to walk into work and just discuss nerdy topics or video games.
  more...
The hardest part of the job is the fact it's just an entry level and that their is hardly ANY future for growth at EB. With the current hiring practices they have had since I began, it is impossible to move up within the company to anywhere higher than a sales associate. Which kills any sort of drive or motivation to do well within the company. How can you do well when you know there is nowhere to move up too, that you will forevor be stuck at the lowest end. And they promise things they don't follow up on, like prizes and gifts. So that also kills the drive.

Howevor! the people at the store level are some of the best. Always enjoying the day and who can be mad when you are talking about video games and nerdy culture all day long! The most enjoyable aspect of it is that it is about gaming and something i am passionate about.
Pros
Flexible hours, fun, great for gamers, highly enjoyable
Cons
D.M. level and up needs work, it is still retail and has bad days, low job security
Great Place to work, unless you want to move up
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 14, 2016
I worked at EB Games for two years. During that time it was great, you got to meet a lot of amazing customers and got to know repeat customers. Midnight launches were amazing on high anticipated games (CoD, Mass Effect, Consoles, etc)

Field Management team started to get you down when they were in the store trying to help. They constantly push you to continue to push the Warranty Program and constantly up-sell, even when you know your customers after years of helping them.

It's a great place to work when you have a right team who wants to see everyone exceed. What caused me to move on was the fact that I stuck around during transitions and didn't get asked to manage my own store, even with high warranty and multiple customer service rewards. Field Management skipped me saying that I wasn't doing a good enough job.

Staff Discount Program could be better, 25% off of Recycled Games (Standard, but you have to purchase the discount card, which already gives you 10% off). Management Team gets all the perks (Team Building Meets and Vendor Shows)
Pros
Great Team and Management
Cons
Staff Recognition Program, Field Management
Fun work place with terrible management
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCMarch 11, 2016
Typical day includes unpacking games, and cleaning the store. Co workers are awesome but management is terrible. A lot of numbers like warranties are talked about but management gives no training or very little on how to improve, and also is on the store passing off cutsomers to the reps and not selling them selves. Then complain when reps have not up to company standard number's.
Fun place with overall great management
Albert - Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, ABMay 31, 2016
A typical day of work starts with showing up and always greeting coworkers as if they are close friends. Once started the customers always came first above all else; we always have great conversations about what video games are fun thus creating a welcoming environment. Management were mostly always leaders instead of bosses and would almost always lead by example. The most enjoyable was always getting so many different opinions on what was hot and new.
Pros
Discounts on video games
Cons
hours were fairly irregular
A great experience for customer service.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 1, 2016
Each day the role of the employees covered everything due to the small store and small staff. Responsibilities included: Marketing, Merchandising, Sales, Customer Service, Regional Stock Balancing, Handling Cash, Opening and Closing, Troubleshooting, Daily Revenue Paperwork. This job taught myself how to work in groups, advanced my customer service, time management, cash and card handling. Management at a local level was fantastic and very responsive, the general and regional managers often were overstretched and time was needed to communicate with them. The co-workers were fun, helpful, and supportive to each other causing efficient and effective work to be completed. The hardest part of the job was difficult customers and attempting to reach the best solution for both the company and the customer. The most enjoyable part of this job was definitely the people I worked with.
Pros
Great hours, Great co-workers, Interesting Product
Cons
Long slow hours during the week
Fun atmosphere
Employee (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 2, 2016
Fun atmosphere, discounts were a perk, but upper management has no care for their employees and sets their own procedures for this store that does not directly correlate with the company's policies. Upper management has a lack of compassion for their employees and does not follow through with serious incidents pertaining to this store.
Pros
Discounts, good atmosphere, knowledgable staff, good scheduling
Cons
Upper Management, Inability to resolve serious issues within the store, lack of coaching
Experience working for EB Games
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONDecember 13, 2015
I worked at EB Games as a seasonal employee, and was not given much room to learn anything new as i was given very few shifts. I alphabetized the games accordingly, helped customers find what they needed and cashed them out. Management and my co-workers were all pretty laid back but i was disappointed as i did not get very many hours to work. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the kids get excited over new merchandise. The hardest part was the frustration of organizing the merchandise accordingly and having to do it over again at the end of my shift with no help.
Pros
Discounted games.
Cons
Very few working hours.
EB Games is a sales job, can't sell, don't bother.
Sales Associate/Keyholder (Current Employee) –  OttawaJune 16, 2016
The whole thing of course is about money, if you can't perform for them then don't bother. There's little room to move up. If you can't sell then you just won't get hours. It's another job that will expect you to make the company a lot of money but pay you as little as possible, the only benefit is it doesn't suck nearly as bad as some other jobs.
Pros
discount on games
Cons
no benefits
Enjoyable work with video games
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONSeptember 15, 2016
Typical shift was 10-20 people coming in to talk and buy video games, management was a blast to work with, coworkers were nice. Enjoyed talking to people with a passion for gaming and looking for knowledge about current or upcoming things
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
only seasonal work
High expectations with little or no reward
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONAugust 9, 2016
EB Games often had fun and interesting people working in their stores. Unfortunately this was not enough to counter balance the issues that upper management has with being overly critical and unresponsive to positive results.

A typical sales associate would be expected to maintain high level competitiveness on at least 8 different company observed metrics (Sales, Warranty's, Trades, Pre-orders, Pre-owned sales, Edge memberships, Survey conversion, Survey scores) for minimum wage. Failure to meet even one of these metrics would result in coaching and possible corrective action.

Stores are frequently left without proper management while lesser management is expected to assume leadership roles for no extra pay or benefit. You could also be expected to work an 8 hour shift, followed by a 3 hour midnight opening shift, followed 6 hours later by another 8 hour opening shift. Payroll would be consistently slashed to save money regardless of impact on store performance or expected traffic.

The overall company culture is of a "You can always do better" mentality. Regardless of how well a store or individual performs they will be shown how and why it wasn't quite good enough and what more is still expected of them.
Pros
Customers and sales associates are typically very friendly
Cons
Low pay, high stress
One of the Best Job's I've Ever Had...But...
Senior Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ONJune 27, 2016
I worked for EB Games for 10 years and loved working there. The customers I met were great and most of the people I worked with were fantastic BUT...the management above store level had some big issues and problems. The high up management does not care about store level employees we are just numbers to them.
Pros
The people
Cons
Head Office
EB games
Keyholder / Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 15, 2016
I have learned about how to help customers to the best of my abilities concerning warranties, problems, and policies with the store. Having an answer ready. Knowing how to put emotions aside.

The staff are supposed to be friendly and really into gaming. Driven by the passion of gaming.

Having to meet a high standard

Fun social atmosphere. Easy to have while going to school, and balancing life.
Pros
fun atmosphere, nice staff, easy going
Cons
High expectation to sell bad warranties. Feel dispensable.
Great culture, horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABFebruary 27, 2015
Long story short, My fellow "Game Advisors" (A fancy way of saying "you'll never get father than offering edge cards and running through that COD game to a 6 year olds overprotective mother") were great people. My Manager did not have a clue what he was doing, was disorganized and was just not fit for the job.

Good for a job if you wanna meet people to nerd out with, but in general, don't get your hopes up because there is not benefits or advancements.
Pros
nerds everywhere, latest info on games and culture, good experience for customer service
Cons
awful management, no advancement, no benefits, bad pay
Volunteer work
Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  WhitbyAugust 20, 2016
I was at EB games for coop and would keep the store looking presentable or other various tasks. I would also organize the games into each of their rightful cases which takes some time and organization with alphabetization.
Pros
You're around video games
Cons
N/A