EB Games Employee Reviews

Fun time but we are always busy and rushed.
Designer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 September 2017
Great place for learning on the job and busy all the time. Fun benefits year round with group parties. Video games is a passion so it's always exciting.
Pros
Free give aways
Cons
industry and consumer buying is changing effecting business.
Great People, Poor Wages
cashier, associate and games advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2017
EB Games is a very pleasant and enjoyable job. That being said, the wages are low considering the amount of technical detail the job requires to perform properly.
Pros
Good Culture
Cons
Low Wages
Fun and productive workplace for someone not looking to advance or work many hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 September 2017
EB games is a very fun place to work if you have knowledge of the gaming world. All questions from customers will be regarding new and old games, if it is fun for you to know about that sort of information then this is a great job for you. Most of the main activities are accepting trade ins, sorting and reorganizing games, performing customer service and keeping the environment positive. You will learn a lot about gaming culture and consumer culture here. Training is very easy but the hard part comes with dealing with the several different customer issues and what to do during each one.

The big reason why this isn't an amazing job is there isn't many incentives for part timers to stay as well they make it very difficult to move up in the company. It is easier to quit and then reapply to a higher position then apply while you are working their. Their is no benefits whatsoever to being a part timer and they put their own vacations before anything else.

If you are ok with little hours and just doing some menial work while at school or waiting for another job to show up, this is a great job. But do not stay long term, many benefits and pay you could get while at another job is simply not here.
Pros
Fun place to work that promotes talking with customers and being down to earth
Cons
No hours to go around, poor communication from upper management, lack of benefits or salary for anyone besides management and above
Fun people to work with.
Assistant gérant (Current Employee) –  Repentigny (14)28 August 2017
Nothing good to say, except for my co-workers who were great.

Management is terrible and they make you feel like garbage. They laught at you (I have a couple of interesting annecdotes).
Bad Wage
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2017
The only reason I left was because the wage was far too low for the amount of work we were expected to do. It was not even enough to live on and new employees made more then I did as a manager.
It was a lot of fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 August 2017
Any job will have negatives, especially in retail however there were more pros then cons. For the most part you answer a lot of questions and calls about Nintendo or collectible products. There was a lot of pressure for sales though.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Worked there for 2 and a half years.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 August 2017
Terrible company to work for and the only saving grace is the gaming culture being full of fun people.

This company makes it very clear how replaceable the employee is on the front line. I also got 2 "promotions" but didn't get a raise with either. I asked for a raise twice and was ignored both times.

I was told that I would get a yearly raise when I was hired. I didn't receive that either. I worked hard for this company and always showed up to my shifts/did my job to the best of my ability, but did not receive any compensation and had to part ways with my position.

I knew there was no way around this when my store manager explained that "I agree you should be payed more for what you do, but head office will never do that and it won't change"
Pros
Gaming culture is fun
Cons
Lo
Pour tout geek
Conseillère en vente (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 August 2017
Une place ou le travail d'équipe passe avant tout et ou sa (sa paraît pas vite comme sa) bouge énormément ;)
Pros
horaire flexible en tout temps
Cons
rabais employée pourrais être beaucoup mieux
On fait vivre la passion jeux-vidéos
Assistant Gerant (Current Employee) –  Mascouche, QC10 August 2017
Journée typique : Découvrir beaucoup de jeux et articles de collections tout en suggérant aux clients des produits.

À bien gérer les employés est ce que j'ai appris.

Management un peu lourd, beaucoup de lectures redondante.

Culture très amicale, petites équipes

L'aspect le plus difficile est de devoir répondre à beaucoup de demande corporative.

L'aspect positif est qu'il n'y a pas d'effort physique à faire et beaucoup de contact sociaux sont créés.
enjoyed working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 August 2017
Liked working here if u love games it's a good place to start working I would go back to work there it was a really good job for me it would recommend working there.

Want to know more about EB Games?

Ask a question
Fun place to work
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB8 August 2017
I left my position for a management job but I got short changed and did not get the new job
I loved the staff and customers at eb games always friendly and helpfull
Pros
Vidio games
Cons
Various hours
Good Place with alright head office
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON26 July 2017
Good store with good customer base but has a poor none communicative head office. Very sales driven and a very competitive atmosphere. Products are simple and easy to learn.
Fun people, terrible work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 July 2017
Too much is expected of all store front employees, sometimes requiring part time associates to take on management tasks, and management to due tasks that are much above their current pay grade.
Decent part time job, but a terrible management position
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  North York, ON17 July 2017
I started working at EB Games part time and really enjoyed it for the first couple of years. I made the mistake of accepting a promotion and things went down hill from there. Their extreme emphasis on metrics and sales goals sucks the joy out of the job completely. They made us write employees up who weren't meeting ridiculous weekly sales targets.
Pros
Gamer culture, free loot, great coworkers
Cons
Unrealistic sales goals, pushy upper management
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON12 July 2017
It's a fun work environment. Management is great. You get to work with video games and people who enjoy them just as much as you do. You learn how sales work and how important it is to meet numbers.
Great Place to work if you love games
Senior Game Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2017
If you love games and like to talk about them. This is the perfect job for you. Often you'll get to talk to people about whats hot and new to play and what you would recommend . But sometimes communication can be an issue between staff and management. Hours when you'll get to work will constantly change from head office adding more hours or removing more. which can cause to be problems for those needing more hours to work. but overall the environment and the people are wonderful.
Pros
discounts on games and other items
Cons
sometimes discounts aren't applicable to specific promotions and edge discounts, Not enough hours
Fun place to work
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 June 2017
Fun place to work and liked the staff I work with. Company did not offer competitive pay which is ultimately the reason I left. Time investment at minimum wage is not worth it. Flexible hours.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Poor pay
A productive and fun workplace
Sales associate (co-op) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2017
They very friendly and helpful they give me different task and it was very fun for me and it made it easier for me to find what game the customer was looking for as well
Pros
fun job
start
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 June 2017
Just like any retail job its a good place to start off and get the experience but after a while with no advancement something new needs to change, management does not lead by example ( seems as anarchy ) hours are ridiculous and looking to advance elsewhere.
Fantastic Workplace
Stock and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 June 2017
I loved my time at EB Games, I joined initially through a WEP (Work experience placement) - so the management was under no actual pressure to hire me upon the end of this time period. Through gaining knowledge of how to actually do the job, along with my lifelong knowledge and expertise in the products they sell, I was hired on as a seasonal stock/sales associate. I absolutely adored this job, I was able to talk about my favorite passion in life, gaming - while actually doing a job and getting paid for it.

I learned how to do stock in a quick and precise fashion, I learned about certain promo and sales rotations, I learned about the chain of command in general retail. In general I learned a lot, and had a blast during my time there.
Pros
Fantastic workplace, discounts on products.
Cons
Somewhat the commute, in general working on boxing day in retail is a thing of sheer terror.