EB Games Employee Reviews

Hard Working Place Leader by Example and great Deligator
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 May 2017
EB Games as a whole corporate structure is easy to understand. What they lack of is developement , a universal way of coaching and recognition understanding to the minimum wage part timer.
Pros
Gaming environment
Cons
Micro Managment, Unrealistic time frames, Bad practices
Fantastic company in an interesting field
Floor Sales (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB11 May 2017
I've played Video Games since I was 5 so EB Games was a natural choice for me. It was every kids dream to work there so when I got the job I was ecstatic! Management was great and there were clearly defined goals. Work hours weren't bad aside from the occasional midnight launch. Perfect job to work while I was in High School.

Not much room for vertical movement unless you're ready to relocate. Otherwise it was a terrific job.
Pros
Fun environment, Constantly evolving field.
Cons
EB is a great temporary place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON7 May 2017
A typical day at work is assisting the customers find what they want, process their transaction, sort through traded in games and know how to count and close the register at the end of the night.

I learned that you can never stay in a place that doesn't pay enough.

Management is good when they aren't being mean or sarcastic when the employees don't know what to do. Teaching and caring about everyone is more important.

Workplace culture is good, customer are kind most of the time and making people happy when they get what they want is a good feeling.

I don't think there is anything hard about this job to be honest.

Enjoyable part is getting to know your customers and coworkers some of the greatest people you will ever meet!
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
not given enough hours to be a full time carrer
Adequate work for an up and coming student
ASSOCIÉ AUX VENTES (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 May 2017
The company takes solace in finding the best way to provide unequaled customer service.
EB Games has shown skill in keeping up with the market and knows how to stay relevant. It's business strategy is efficient and beneficial to all whom work there.
As far as employees are concerned, the company helps them find a work schedule that fits their life outside of the store. With a handful of advantages and the possibility to show off their customer service acumen, employees have room to grow inside the company and the brand.
Great company you are part of a family.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 May 2017
I am responsible for the successful management of the store's operation. Responsible for achieving performance and profit goals consistent with the corporate objectives and ensuring that operational procedures, company policies and regulations are communicated.
Productive and fun workplace, easy to get along with people and everything flowed properly.
Cashier - Stock (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON1 May 2017
Work there was easy and simple, the job wasn't too complicated and the people there were fun to work with.
The manager was quite easy to get along with as well and he was always willing to help me out with any issues I may have had.
Ok place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON24 April 2017
Worked as a customer service person, then assistant manager.
It was a fun job, I learned lots being there, some good and some bad things.

Would work there again in the future.
Pros
Working with good people and video games
Cons
Too much pressure on all types of sales.
A Solid Working Environment for the Right Person
Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON14 April 2017
I only worked as a co-op student at EB Games, but I loved working there, willingly working several 12 hour shifts on occasion. The store is small, however it brings many tasks. The most employees at a time were usually 2 per shift, which was perfect for keeping the store both clean and occupied when customers inquired about product and assistance. The hardest part of the job was when customers did not understand when products were outdated, and the most enjoyable was alphabetizing the sections devoted to each gaming console.
Retail salary with bosses and staff that are hard to work with
Senior Game Advisor/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON12 April 2017
The selling environment was fine, the usual retail expectations. The issue was with management and the workers. Depending on the person, some may make you feel like an outsider and punish you whenever they get the chance. Some people are too hard to work with in this retail store. There is also far too much emphasis on putting warranties on games when it is clearly not needed. I would not recommend this job.
Horrible work environment with no room for advancement.
Asst. Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 April 2017
EB Games is a terrible place to work. While the actual work is quite simple and easy cash service, the management and work environment is awful. Expectations are incredibly high with absolutely no reward or appreciation for doing well but severe consequences for doing poorly. If sales are poor it lies in the part-time cashiers fault and not the place of the company themselves. No matter what goes wrong in the company as a whole, the mantra is it's ALWAYS your own fault.

The culture is absolutely rancid - they expect employees to lie to and pester customers to no end while also demeaning employees for being honest and catering to a customers needs.

Talking about video games all day may be fun, but the company makes it not worth it one bit.

Want to know more about EB Games?

Ask a question
EB Games
Retail Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 April 2017
EB Games stores differ from one to another but the one I worked at was fantastic. There is alot of organization and you need to be able to remember codes, properly store discs and remember as much as you can about systems and games.
The only thing I found challenging was remembering all the deals and sales. Everyday there would be something starting or ending but it made every day interesting.
Don't sweat if you don't know a lot about games or different systems because you learn over time and you may be surprised how much you acctually know.

I loved working at EB Games. The people were great, it was reliable and you feel like you are part of a giant club of gamers.
Pros
Organization
Cons
Crazy people occationaly
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON6 April 2017
Great company only worked there as a seasonal so it would be a little hard to tell but some things are just unorganized promo's are good staff couple extra percent off games but thatsabout it.
Pros
ad
Cons
ad
Very fun, if your working part time.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 April 2017
My first few years there were great (as part time), the store environment is fantastic, 90% of the employees are amazing people. Once I was promoted I began to see the company very differently. The complete lack of upper management structure is infuriating. I bounced around to a few stores to try and improve sales, reorganize and generally maintain a strong repeat customer base. I understand sales goals are part of any business, but it in some cases these were extremely unrealistic to the point of pushing so hard you lose customers, which in turn comes back on you or your staff.

Being a manager here is beyond stressful considering the lack of acknowledgment and pay your receive.

As a part time job, Id recommend it. But it truly is a company of glass ceilings.
Pros
Potentially fun environment, fun staff, meeting people in the music, gaming, and movie industry
Cons
Horrible Upper Management, Employees arent appreciated, mediocre pay.
Super fun workplace!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 March 2017
I absolutely love working at EB. The customers are awesome and my coworkers are even more amazing. Everyone is extremely nice and friendly and I've honestly never laughed so much at work before. It's so much fun here!
EB weekly summary
Sales/Game Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ontario17 March 2017
During the week I will work a few days in my home store.
Once every second week I would travel out to other stores in Ontario to help with the marketing and merchandising.
Fun place to work
Field Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 February 2017
If I did not leave to pursue my dreams I would still be working at EB Games.

Medium sized company allowing you to work and learn from various business units.
best job i had
Senior Game Adviser (Keyholder) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC25 February 2017
loved the job every second and could see myself staying there my entire life if only given the chance. wanted to become assistant manager so i could get into manager position one day but the district manager didnt seem to like me too much. with that being said when i had to move of course they didnt want to transfer me which meant for me to quit and find another job. but i doubt i will ever find a job that made me enjoy going to work as much as at EB games. I've learned a lot of things about exceptional customer service and i am thankful for any hour i was able to work there. the work was stressful at times but customers mostly understanding and the managers i worked with were amazing people and really pushing to help us succeed.
Pros
amazing customers and co workers
Cons
managment
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 February 2017
EB Games was a great place to work because as an employee you receive up to date informating about upcoming games. Customer interaction is always enjoyable because its a place where gamers go to talk anbout games.
Best manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON10 February 2017
I had an amazing Manager at the Peterborough Location and the work was generally laid back as long as goals and tasks were met, overall not a difficult thing.
Pros
Video Games
Cons
Seasonal dips
Friendly Customer Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB8 February 2017
Enjoyed the atmosphere of EB Games, I didn't like the overall company employee agreement. They do the bare minimal to cost along and get what they need done, done.
Pros
Commute, People, Customers
Cons
Hours, Lack of benefits and other needs for daily living expenses.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EB Games. Our community is ready to answer.