Eastern Health System Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Overall a great place to advance your skills
Registered Nurse - ICU (Current Employee), St. John's, NLApril 2, 2016
Pros: Great co-workers
Cons: Management needs improvement
Great co-workers. The work is interesting and fulfilling. Days are busy. Management can be challenging at times. A good learning environment.
Excellent place to work to gain experience in chosen field.
Manager (Former Employee), St. John's, NLMarch 16, 2016
Change is a given within Eastern Health. It is an organization still developing. There are excellent programs available for those who have the time to take part, however, given the cut backs in health care in recent years and fewer staff and managers, it is difficult to take advantage of available opportunities.
I enjoyed working there.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), St. John's, NLFebruary 15, 2016
Pros: good pay
Cons: short hours
MY days were only 3 hours long but were very busy. I learned the computer system and how to run to do blood draws fast as it was required.
I really liked my coworkers and got along very well and we enjoyed working together.
The management was stressful as they always wanted faster and more, not understanding that some patients could be difficult.
The hardest part of the job was walking into a room and the patient had passed away and having to go tell a nurse.
My most enjoyable part of the day was working in the clinic with the walk in patients.
Daily life in Emerg
Nurse 1 (Current Employee), EmergOctober 12, 2015
Every day at Eastern Health HSC Emerg is different from the previous. It can be slow one minute and overflowing the next. Our department is team oriented and we all look out for each other
Enjoyable place to work
Clerk Typist III (Former Employee), St. John's, NLSeptember 21, 2015
Pros: Great environment to work in
Cons: none
Management staff in Community Supports Program superb. Some of the best managers I have ever worked for.

Supportive co-workers
Eastern Health Clerk
Staffing Clerk IV (Current Employee), 65 Newfoundland DriveAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Shift work
Cons: Management
Work consists of 12 hour days, on shift work. Taking calls, sick, family, etc. replacing staff and and doing payroll. Ensuring staff have schedules, appropriate hours and following union guidelines.
Great Place to work
Clerk/Typist II Diagnostic Imagining (Current Employee), Carbonear, NLFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: great hours, great people, great environment
Cons: not enough hours for call in casuals
Work hours were fair and you get paid fairly for the amount of work you do. You come in at 8 and go home at 4 from Monday to Friday, a perfect work schedule. I learned how to use Meditech, how to book appointments, how to register patients for their appointments, and the importance of getting things done in a timely manner. Management is great, very understanding but at the same time, expectant. A great balance between compassion and expectation of you to get your best work done on a daily basis. The co-workers are very helpful and it is a very respectful and cohesive environment. The hardest part of the job would be waiting for hours. The most enjoyable part is feeling like you are important and do important work.
Pretty routine stuff. Okay job not very challenging.
Domestic Health Care Worker (Former Employee), St. John's, NLJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: days off and health benifits.
Cons: working evenings or over night most of the time.
Cleaning operating rooms or strip and waxing floors. I learned how to disinfect operating and patient rooms. Management were good to work with. Hardest part of the job was working basically all evenings or over nights. Not easy on the family when your wife works days and you evenings. Most enjoyable part of that job was my days off. It was a job out of necessity to be honest.
Enjoyable
Administrative Assistant,HTDM (Former Employee), St. John's, NLOctober 19, 2014
Management and co-workers were pleasurable to work with.
Very busy work environment.
Excellent employer, good benefits ..... spousal relocation only reason for leaving
Staff Nurse (MSICU) (Former Employee), St. John's, NLSeptember 5, 2014
Excellent hospital with a very respectful working environment. Critical Care unit works well as a team. Self scheduling was an awesome bonus.
Clerk II
Clerk II (Current Employee), The Agnes Pratt HomeJuly 9, 2014
• Switchboard operations
• Admitting new residents into a system of daily recording keeping documents
• Ensuring all next of kin are entered into all mail merges and email distribution list
• Purging of deceased residents information
• Organizing all Orientation of New Hires
• Organization of Memorial Services
• Ensuring all daily record keeping documents are up to date with resident admissions, deaths and room changes
• Typing Memos/Letters for all Managers of Administration, Nursing, Support Services and Recreation Departments.
• Typing/creating any documents needed for all departments of the home, such as calendars, schedules, tables, charts, menus etc.
• Setting up all staff education and a complete running list of each employee’s education, ensuring all staff attended required education.
• Secretary for various committees, completing minutes, organizing meetings through Microsoft Outlook
• Organizing Fire Drill schedules to ensure monthly requirements are met by Eastern Health’s, Health Emergency Management Committee and The St. John’s Fire Regional Department
• Filing/Organizing
Productive and fun workplace, where everyone helps everyone else.
Secretary (Current Employee), St. John's, NLJune 5, 2014
Pros: loving the people you work with
Cons: monotony
My day starts off with checking my phone and computer messages, calling people back who have made inquiries into the Continuing Studies Programs. The people I work with are phenomenal. They are there when you need a helping hand or a listening ear. The hardest part of my job is the monotony. On any given day, I am still doing editing of documents that are years old. The most enjoyable is the accomplishment I feel when I finish my work, the praise I receive is a good thing as well.
Security check, sorting priorities, operating machinery and the skills needed to finish the job safely and punctually
Administrative Support (Current Employee), St. John's, NLApril 8, 2014
Pros: benefits, paid holidays, hourly wage
Cons: heavy lifting
A warehouse health and safety scan for anything that could jeopardize myself or any employee within the warehouse. Working within all departments, I've learned how a warehouse operates, and what dangers draw attention. Working with people from different diversities gave me a positive attitude towards change and individual differences
The physical lifting when hand bombing items could sometimes be heavy and repetitious, and floors could sometimes become wet and slippery, causing machines to slide; extreme caution is needed at all times
The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers, we became like a close family; which made any company function that much more enjoyable
Eastern Health Clerk 2
Lab Office Clerk 2/Data Entry Operator (Current Employee), St. John's, NLFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: not appreciated, only considered a number
Working for Eastern Health consists of very busy day doing Data Entry. Here in NL most of the lab work that is taken has to be frozen and sent to our main lab in our Capital City. When the blood work is received at the lab, as a clerk I spend most of my everyday entering any needs tests required for each patient so that their results may be completed. Also throughout the day I am required to company any needed orders for supplies for the office and send it to our stores department . Also the main line for the lab comes through my office so most times I just have to direct people in the right direction. Also if any doctors have questions concerning blood work they also contact myself or 3 of my other co workers in the same office. My job also consists of many other things like scanning, copying, mail and such forth.

Through out my years working for Eastern Health I have what meet what I would call a great circle of friends or what some others would call their work family. As for management it is like everywhere you work through out you life and that is you get some great and some bad. For the most part I have no complaints.

This current job I can honestly say there is nothing hard. I have a very busy day each and most days I don't even get to break but I really enjoy it. Its not something I mind at all.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be that I know after everyday I leave I know that I put 150% in my job and just because I put that little bit more into means I made it that much quicker for some sick person receiving any needed result to making them feel better.
Excellent staff lack of resources and opporutinity
Registered Respiratory Therapist II (Current Employee), St. John's, NLFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: people, team leads
Cons: advancement, pay
High paced critical care environment. Much respect and autonomy on a typical working day. Lacking retention capabilities are areas of advancement.
Helping People
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee), St. John's, NLJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: feel good able to get up and go to work every day
Cons: seeing people upset when they have lost a loved one
I enjoy this job both cafeteria and patient services.When you work with the public you can help them feel better and be there if they need anything like a ear to listen to them as some people don't have any family that they can call or lean on.

Working on the belt-line you get to make sure what you serve is appealing plus the patient client are able to eat
The work aspect is ok but I am not liking the shifting from three different places. I would rather be at one set place.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), St. John's, NLSeptember 2, 2013
The work is ok but each of the three places I work, are not close to each other. I would much rather be at one place permanently. The money is good at Eastern Health but right now there are a lot of changes taking place. Some departments are going under the private sector and we (employees) are being placed elsewhere in other facilities. My job is in question and I am concerned that my four and a half years of service, may not be enough to keep me stable in my position.
review of my daily work day.
Mail Clerk (Current Employee), St. John's, NLJune 25, 2013
my day work start with waiting for the Canada post guy to come in with the mail for myself to sort. when I have that done get it ready for delivery in the hospital and other sites of eastern health. i learned how the mail operates works in the hospital.my manager is a tean player and work with the staff and let them give there own input on how to make the department run better for the hospital.i work with a group of people and are all tean player as well.the harest part of my job was to remember where people are and what office they are is so I had to do u a floor plan that work for myself and the hospital.the most enjoyable part of my job id going to work and meeting a lot of good hearts people who go out of there way for other and getting to meet the staff and clinet of the floor.
Productive and safe environment.
Support Services Worker (Current Employee), St. John's, NLJune 6, 2013
Pros: free safety uniform like shoes.
Cons: shared hours job.
I am so excited to go to work every time that I get shift because of the safe and happy environment and very supportive co-worker. I enjoy a lot every time my shift is in food service because I am dealing with the senior residence which is I love the most because they can tell you their story and I can learn a lot of things in their inspiring story. But the sad part of the job is, I just getting few hours because of the on-call employment which is not enough to support my daily living.
My Experience overall at Eastern Health is good
Clerk 1V (Current Employee), St. John's, NLMay 9, 2013
Pros: i work 12 hour shifts so it gives me days off during the week to get done what i need.
Cons: i start work at 6 in the morning and ends at 530 which makes for long day.
Mostly my typical day at work is very hectic and fast paced. I start off by checking all telephone messages and cover all shifts needed for the LPN's/PCA's and Materials Management. I then check all emails and respond to managers requests. Daily I basically fill all the shifts from days, evenings, and nights. And I also pre-book whatever we have on the books. In between covering shifts I complete all payroll that is received by fax.
Once all daily work is complete then I start with completing schedules for each employee. I also respond to any requests or inquiry from management.