East Side Mario's Employee Reviews

Great Job
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 May 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job was working with others to get the job complete. The hours were flexible and the co-workers were friendly and helpful. The least enjoyable thing about the job was the constant pile of dishes coming through the kitchen, there was no feeling of completion as dishes were always in motion.
Pros
friendly co-workers, hours were flexible
Cons
wet clothes, very crowded change room
Very nice people
Hostess/Expo (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2017
The people I work with at East Side Mario's are very friendly. They are understanding when someone cannot come into work and they are pretty flexible if someone has a commitment and cannot find someone to take a shift.
Everybody helps each other and the managers try to get to know the staff.
Negative Environment - No Management
BARTENDER, SERVER (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 May 2017
Schedule isn't out till Sunday night every week.
Shifts constantly canceled last minute.
Major turnover makes working difficult with always having more new staff than senior.
Missing tip outs by supervisors.
Dash and dine scams by G.M.
Drug use by almost all kitchen staff slowing down speed of service.
productive and fast paste workplace environment
Part-time - Hostess (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON29 April 2017
My typical work day includes greet customer, take them to them to appropriate table, and clear, clean, and set tables. I've learned how to work in a team, use time wisely, work fast while doing things the correct way. Management changed constantly but soon settled on someone who managed the team accordingly. Working in a team was not hard for me to learn. Many of my co-workers were very friendly and were easy to talk to. the hardest part of this job was dealing with rude customers on a busy night, it was not easy to deal with as I was trying my hardest to get things done fast while costumers were yelling at me. To every con there is a pro, the most enjoyable part this job was defiantly meeting new people and creating memories with my co-workers.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Rude costumers
Miserable owners
Food Prep/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 April 2017
The owners have an attitude that makes everyone not want to be there. They constantly complain to management which will then lead to them yelling at the workers, therefore not making them not want to be there. A lot of the staff are constantly compiling about everything. Not trying to bash the company, but its the truth after working there for 5 years.
Pros
free food
Cons
everyone is miserable there, not fun to be around the people.
Fast paced and high stressed!
Expo, Host, Takeout (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB20 April 2017
You have to remember lunch and dinner rushes, that's where they make their money! You have to be quick and smooth, or else if you mess up it's a domino affect, so sometimes it's very hectic but the staff is good at keeping organzied
Pros
strong staff
Cons
mean staff
Fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 April 2017
I much preferred hosting/take out over serving, but that was mainly because of the unlimited soup/salad and bread. It was very hard to keep on top of a bunch of tables who constantly needed refills.
Overall this was a good place to work, I only quit because I had another job and I was a student and it was just becoming too much.
The management that was there at the time that I was is no longer there, but they were fantastic and always had your back especially when it came to rude customers.
Fun to work, great staff
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON11 April 2017
East sides is a good place to work if your a student and only looking for a part time position,they work around you so if your in school or are only looking for 1/2 shifts a week this job will work for you
Pros
50% off menu
Cons
Not enough hours
Working with family
Waiter/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 April 2017
A typical day at East Side Mario's consists of stress, problem solving, multitasking, long hours, and no breaks. Doesn't sound like a job most would enjoy, right? For me, it has been the best job I could ever ask for. I have met people and gained relationships I don't think I could live without. Aside from the guests, the management team is almost too good to be true. Friendly, understanding, helpful, caring, but most importantly loyal. The hardest part of the job as I previously stated is the hours. Working from 4pm-1am with no break takes its toll on your body and lifestyle. It isn't a job for everyone, but for those in the industry it is the holy grail of restaurants. With nearly 40 staff members from the kitchen to the front of house, nearly 75% have been working there for over a decade.
Pros
Tips, half price food, guest relationships.
Cons
long and late hours, constantly on your feet, no breaks (unless you smoke), demanding guests.
Fun workplace, however very demanding.
Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 April 2017
Learned how to manage time efficiently, and quickly adapt to changing environments. A lot of multi-tasking skills were developed. Coworkers can be a pain, however one learns to deal with it. Job security was not there, and getting the desired shifts are very difficult.

Want to know more about East Side Mario's?

Ask a question
good
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 April 2017
best team to work with them. they give me a good hour and everyone talk very nicely.I learned to work as a team. the most enjoyable part is fave some fun in working time.
Fun and outgoing workplace
seating hostess, takeout (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 March 2017
I have worked at East Side Mario's for a year as a host and I had a wonderful experience. I loved the staff and the restaurant itself. I was often in charge of setting up the restaurant and I worked as the main seating hostess.
Pros
good with hours
Cons
very stressful
Fun place
Kitchen supervisor, Line cook, Host, Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB30 March 2017
when it was open it was a great place to work in town. working here was one of the best jobs I have ever had made a lot of friend had a great time made money and learned a lot.
Great Staff
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON28 March 2017
Fast paced environment most days but the staff there is great in assisting new comers. Shifts don't have an end time though and sometimes you will only be there for a couple hours.
Worked There for a Co-op
Food assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 March 2017
I learned how to properly handle food , and the other basic things you learn in the food service. Having worked at East Side I got another job in the food service industry..
Pros
Co- workers were Interactable
Cons
long tiring hours
pretty good place to work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 March 2017
there is lots to learn on the job which makes things exciting. the staff is like a big family and management is pretty good. the menu changes yearly which keeps things from being boring
Pros
staff discounts, fun staff, down to earth management team
Cons
long hours, min wage, late night walk ins
Amazing workplace
Food Prep /Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 March 2017
East side marios sits high on a pedestal above other places. They are a clean, fair, and advantageous work place with lots of benefits
Pros
free meals and drinks
Cons
Great place to start off
Server (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB28 February 2017
East side mario's was my first serving job (as it is for many servers). They like to hire people with no experience so they can mold you in to what they want. They worked with me as far as hours went and the training is close to perfect. They will not send you on that floor till you know your stuff. I loved the management when I worked there.
Pros
Training, money, management
Cons
Sections can be a bit on the large side, the unlimited soup, salad and bread (you will run)
fun workplace environment
Host (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 February 2017
East Side Marios is a very fun and friendly place to work at, though at the same time it can be intense at certain moments! everyone there is very kind and helpful and they will be able to help out on anything that you may have questions about! the management team there is a very helpful and negotiable with any questions or concerns you may have! one of the things that are enjoyable about east sides are the people that you get to work with!
Pros
good hours, great management team and really good food as well as tip out
Cons
sometimes long hours
excellent
manager (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON24 February 2017
wonderful staff and a rewarding place to work. locally owned business with a loyal clientele. fast paced environment that rewards those who work hard.