East Side Mario's Employee Reviews

dishwasher and pizza salad cook
Food Prep/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON and kitcnener location as wellMay 28, 2016
a day at work was the same doing dishes and making pizza and salads and doing prep, some of the managers were nice, the co workers were ok, i really enjoyed making pizza and salads
Pros
learned new things
Cons
favortism
Good people to work with and a fun job
Pizza and Salad Chef (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONAugust 26, 2016
My typical day at work would to be making the food that would come in the for customers, such as pizza and salad, and desserts for what the customers are ordering
Good people, busy place, demanding
Dish/line and cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 29, 2016
I found this to be a decent place to work. The only thing I can complain about is the lack of sympathy/empathy. I was working here when my mother passed away and I had an emergency eye surgery all in about 2 months time and I feel I didn't receive much support. Instead I was written up for missing time (being late) when I was very depressed. It may not be an excuse but my mother passed away and I was not thinking clearly, was late for my first shift back to work (a week after my mom passed) and I was written up.

They work well with you to get a schedule that works for you and there are a lot of employees if you need to change shifts for whatever reason.

They do reviews for each employee with a rating system out of 5, 5 being best. However they tell you straight up that they don't give out 5's ever, and if you don't get a 5, you can't get a raise... I found this very unfair.
Pros
scheduling, atmosphere
Cons
pay, opportunity for advancement and raises
Strong and effective management
KITCHEN MANAGER/ASSISTANT FRONT END MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONFebruary 16, 2016
Working at Eastside Mario's has allowed me to exercise my management skills to lead, direct, and coach team members. Through mentoring and working under pressure I have guided staff to achieve excellent results while performing daily duties. The Eastside Mario's management team worked well together while encouraging each other to lead staff members through busy dinner rushes as well as team projects.The most enjoyable part of my job would be the times when I hire and train new staff. I find that the hardest part of a kitchen Managers role is when all employees are trained under different leaders. I have learned that it takes a strong leader who has effective communication skills, organization skills and dedication to actively perform my duties as Kitchen Manager.
Fun workplace
Line Cook/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 6, 2016
It was a good working environment, management was great. Fellow employees made working long shifts easier and less stressful. The time I spent was greatly enjoyable.
Fast Paced and Productive
HOST (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONSeptember 6, 2016
I really liked working at East Side. Every shift, i was moving at all times and I was always extremely busy. The staff was nice and i loved greeting and seating customers.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Waitress/Bartender/Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONFebruary 8, 2016
I throughly enjoyed my experience working at East Side Mario's. i had the ability to receive 4 promotions, and i have experience is most front of the house abilities. (host, waitress, bartender, certified trainer). I am definitely a people person, and I love being able to be apart of a customers great experience within any restaurant.
Fun enjoyable work enviroment
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 9, 2016
I would work at East side Mario's again. great staff and working environment. High energy high pace work environment. Good pay and well managed.
Great for gaining experience in the serving industry
Server/Bartender/Manager (Current Employee) –  Hunt Club, ONJanuary 22, 2016
A typical day at work is pretty normal actually. Come in for your shift 15 minutes early in case it is busy and you have to start right away, do your best to serve your guests while keeping up with the steps of service. Time management and multi-tasking are two things that you will learn very fast if you apply yourself when at work. Management and your co-workers are always there for you. Whether you're in school or full-time. They always try to make your life at work and outside of work as easy as possible. Great job for students! The hardest part of the job is not dealing with difficult guests, but actually the steps of service. They are very demanding, but once you got them down you're golden! I love having good feedback from my tables, it can make your night!
A Fantastic Place to Work
Kitchen staff (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ONJanuary 12, 2016
East Side Mario's was an excellent opportunity for me to expand my knowledge, work ethic, ability to work under pressure, and many more extremely important skills. The kitchen was an intense environment with hardly any down time. This taught me how to remain calm in stressful situations and has not only benefited my skills as a member of the kitchen staff but allowed me to grow and develop in ways transferable to almost any other job.
fun place to work low wages
Cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2016
east sides is a healthy environment to work but minimal earning potential given the style of corporation/franchise. easy to learn basic cooking skills and team training but not intended to be a culinary training program minimal criteria is covered but enough to make a line cook professional atmosphere
Pros
flexible schedule and great manager
Cons
finacally capped
East Side Mario's
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 11, 2016
East Side Mario's is great resturant to work at. My experince with East Side's I got to meet alot of nice people and was able to develope the basic knowledge of the resturant business. I would recommend this resturant to anybody.
Pros
nice peole to work with
Very Nice place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
Really decent location, clean interior, and very friendly staff. . Nothing at all to complain about. Would recommended for some Italian-ish food and for special occasion
Pros
Huge Tip
Cons
Fast paced and friendly environment
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMay 30, 2016
I learned a lot about the importance of giving a perfect customer experience and keeping good relationships with your coworkers
Fun productive
Kitchen Help Co-op student (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 13, 2016
Everyone there was nice and helpful when you needed help they would help

The people there made it really fun and the team was easy to get a long with
Productive and Fun
Prep Cook and Salad Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2016
It was an amazing first job. The environment is friendly and encouraging. Very fast paced job once the customers start arriving, so you have to be quick and ready to work under pressure. Overall, its a great place to work at no doubt.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours and very fast paced
Fast Paced family style restaurant
Hostess and Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 28, 2016
I love working with people from different walks of life. There are no race, age, or LGBTQ barriers. And getting to know them is one of the best parts of the job. Management is just okay. They ask for a lot more than they are willing to give but on occasion will try to accommodate small requests by staff. (breaks during 12 hour shifts, pay for overtime and long weekends -time and a half...this is not referring to all locations) The hardest part of the job is dealing with irate customers who do not understand the flow of a restaurant on busy nights but can sometimes be easy to calm down. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I am good at what I do and have only gotten more confident in my abilities when given the chance to move to server. I have learned that working in a restaurant is one of the best jobs to have. It may get crazy at times but working with a team as driven as restaurant employees makes for a great work experience on the slow and busy days.
Pros
Free food (sometimes) and Cara discount cards
Cons
Long hours with no real breaks
Fast Paced Fun environment
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 6, 2016
-Busy most days
-Learned how to multi task in a very fast paced environment
-Poor management made the job difficult
-The most enjoyable ;art of the job was the regular customers that visited.
Pros
Discounted food for employees
Cons
Lack of training for new employees
high paced fast movig
Dish washer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJanuary 23, 2016
you need to be on your toes in the kitchen because the next thing you know the grease trap is over flowing and it needs to get cleaned up. it can be demanding but that is the same for all sports restaurant.
Pros
all the smoke breaks you want provided your area is empty
Cons
no discount on anything
Good place to work and meet new people
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABMay 8, 2016
Working with co-workers,meeting new people,making new friends,great place to work,learning new things and been around people.

2.9