East Side Mario's Employee Reviews in Canada

Unprofessional Management
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 30, 2016
I was employed with East Side Mario's for three months while I was attending post-secondary at Fanshawe College. The work environment was welcoming; however, the management staff were not much help when it was a busy night, nor were they professional. I found that some of the management talked rudely to the staff and scheduled staff when they booked days off for school. The management seems to hire and fire quite often, and that is not professional.
Pros
Warm and welcoming staff and customers
Cons
Management, hours, and pay
Good people, busy place, demanding
Dish/line and cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 29, 2016
I found this to be a decent place to work. The only thing I can complain about is the lack of sympathy/empathy. I was working here when my mother passed away and I had an emergency eye surgery all in about 2 months time and I feel I didn't receive much support. Instead I was written up for missing time (being late) when I was very depressed. It may not be an excuse but my mother passed away and I was not thinking clearly, was late for my first shift back to work (a week after my mom passed) and I was written up.

They work well with you to get a schedule that works for you and there are a lot of employees if you need to change shifts for whatever reason.

They do reviews for each employee with a rating system out of 5, 5 being best. However they tell you straight up that they don't give out 5's ever, and if you don't get a 5, you can't get a raise... I found this very unfair.
Pros
scheduling, atmosphere
Cons
pay, opportunity for advancement and raises
Fast Paced family style restaurant
Hostess and Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 28, 2016
I love working with people from different walks of life. There are no race, age, or LGBTQ barriers. And getting to know them is one of the best parts of the job. Management is just okay. They ask for a lot more than they are willing to give but on occasion will try to accommodate small requests by staff. (breaks during 12 hour shifts, pay for overtime and long weekends -time and a half...this is not referring to all locations) The hardest part of the job is dealing with irate customers who do not understand the flow of a restaurant on busy nights but can sometimes be easy to calm down. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I am good at what I do and have only gotten more confident in my abilities when given the chance to move to server. I have learned that working in a restaurant is one of the best jobs to have. It may get crazy at times but working with a team as driven as restaurant employees makes for a great work experience on the slow and busy days.
Pros
Free food (sometimes) and Cara discount cards
Cons
Long hours with no real breaks
conection with the public
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONMarch 21, 2016
Welcoming and greeting costumers, suiting there needs that the restaurant has to offer upon their request. Finding and organising seating arrangements for costumers. Managing wait lists and keep costumers apprised of wait times as well as clearing and setting tables promptly to ensure restaurant always looks well kept.
East Side Mario's
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 11, 2016
East Side Mario's is great resturant to work at. My experince with East Side's I got to meet alot of nice people and was able to develope the basic knowledge of the resturant business. I would recommend this resturant to anybody.
Pros
nice peole to work with
Travail d'équipe, plaisir, productivité
Pizza man (Current Employee) –  Saint-Jérôme, QCMarch 4, 2016
Chaque jour j'apprends :

- À comprendre et s'entendre avec mes collègues
-Travailler à un bon rythme et de façon constante

Par contre, desfois les erreurs qui sont le résultats de tous les travailleur, un seul coupable est chercher pour lui attribuer le blâme.

Mon momment préféré est que j'ai le droit à une pizza ou un bon plat de pâtes à la fin de mon quart de travail !
Pros
Lunch Gratuit
Cons
Blâme pour erreurs communes
Home Away from Home
Waitressing (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2016
East side Mario's was my first real shot at serving and they really put a lot of time into training me which i appreciate. The flow of people was constant and unpredictable which made thinking on your feet a necessity to prevail. This is where i developed most of my professional social skills and had a lot of opportunity to practice. The hardest part of the job was the fast manic pace. The most enjoyable for me would also be the fast pace. It was difficult but very satisfying to think back on the shift, barely able to remember what happened, and everything still worked out.
Pros
Social aspect
Cons
Short hours
Excellent place to work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONFebruary 28, 2016
I loved the job it was a great environment with amazing people.

Fast paced always busy.

Closing was always hard for me due to personal reasons.
Pros
50% discount on days worked.
Cons
not enough hours.
it was fun working there
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONFebruary 24, 2016
the job was busy from the time i walked in till i walked out it was fun working there very nice people that work there long hours i wish i was still working there i liked it
Pros
got some free meals
Awful
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 24, 2016
DO NOT WORK HERE...
East Side Mario's is an awful place to work. They treat you with 0 respect, especially as a hostess. They give illegal shifts, make you work 8-10 hours with NO BREAK. They ding your pay which is obvious. As a hostess you are made to clean up all the tables and the servers BARLEY tip you, like 10$ every two weeks, maybe. This job very quickly taught me how to work under pressure and stay organized, as it's very busy on weekends and nights. The co workers are just... AWFUL. People are so mean to each other, constantly making them feel bad, nobody helps one another. In a restaurant setting, people need to work together. The management is just as bad, they will schedule when you have booked off time, and expect you to come in. They never schedule enough staff, so the service is soooooooooo bad. The place itself is nasty, it's dirty, no place for staff to put their things or to hang out on breaks, there is always dirty clothing and shoes laying around. Most of the appliances in the kitchen and in dish are broken!! The dishwasher has been broken since I started, and it's been about 6 months since I started at this location... With a broken dishwasher we have the whole back of the restaurant completely flooded in the middle of our busy shifts. I can't say there is any enjoyable part of this job, I used to love it in the Kitchener location, because the staff was great. I moved to Oakville and their location was way worse. Both are pretty bad, I would never recommend anyone working at ESM. Staff gets fired ILLEGALLY all the time. I watched a host get fired for 'having
  more... a big mouth' when she was the sweetest, and most obedient host we had. They fired her for no legal reason, and got away with it because she's young, and doesn't know her rights. They WILL take advantage of you.  less
Strong and effective management
KITCHEN MANAGER/ASSISTANT FRONT END MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONFebruary 16, 2016
Working at Eastside Mario's has allowed me to exercise my management skills to lead, direct, and coach team members. Through mentoring and working under pressure I have guided staff to achieve excellent results while performing daily duties. The Eastside Mario's management team worked well together while encouraging each other to lead staff members through busy dinner rushes as well as team projects.The most enjoyable part of my job would be the times when I hire and train new staff. I find that the hardest part of a kitchen Managers role is when all employees are trained under different leaders. I have learned that it takes a strong leader who has effective communication skills, organization skills and dedication to actively perform my duties as Kitchen Manager.
Work Environment
Dishwasher and Pizza/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 13, 2016
Friendly work staff with a management that attends to the needs of both customers and employees. There are flexible hours to accommodated student employees.
Pros
Free Drinks, 50% discount on food purchases
Cons
No discount on deserts
Productive and Fun Workplace
Waitress/Bartender/Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONFebruary 8, 2016
I throughly enjoyed my experience working at East Side Mario's. i had the ability to receive 4 promotions, and i have experience is most front of the house abilities. (host, waitress, bartender, certified trainer). I am definitely a people person, and I love being able to be apart of a customers great experience within any restaurant.
Fun work place
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ONFebruary 6, 2016
A typical day at work would be serving the tables in a fast paced manner. My co-workers were all wonderful we all got along good and worked well in a team work setting
Fast Paced Fun environment
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 6, 2016
-Busy most days
-Learned how to multi task in a very fast paced environment
-Poor management made the job difficult
-The most enjoyable ;art of the job was the regular customers that visited.
Pros
Discounted food for employees
Cons
Lack of training for new employees
lots of fun
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Great Place to work
co workers are great
guests at times are difficult
Management is understanding to personal issues
varied work schedule
Productive and Fun
Prep Cook and Salad Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2016
It was an amazing first job. The environment is friendly and encouraging. Very fast paced job once the customers start arriving, so you have to be quick and ready to work under pressure. Overall, its a great place to work at no doubt.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours and very fast paced
It was fun to work at this job
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONJanuary 27, 2016
dishes was the mostly what I did but every Wednesday was both dishes and food prep. everyone is mostly younger so it was easy too get along with them.
Pros
good food
Cons
fast pacing hard if your partner is slower then you
high paced fast movig
Dish washer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJanuary 23, 2016
you need to be on your toes in the kitchen because the next thing you know the grease trap is over flowing and it needs to get cleaned up. it can be demanding but that is the same for all sports restaurant.
Pros
all the smoke breaks you want provided your area is empty
Cons
no discount on anything
Great for gaining experience in the serving industry
Server/Bartender/Manager (Current Employee) –  Hunt Club, ONJanuary 22, 2016
A typical day at work is pretty normal actually. Come in for your shift 15 minutes early in case it is busy and you have to start right away, do your best to serve your guests while keeping up with the steps of service. Time management and multi-tasking are two things that you will learn very fast if you apply yourself when at work. Management and your co-workers are always there for you. Whether you're in school or full-time. They always try to make your life at work and outside of work as easy as possible. Great job for students! The hardest part of the job is not dealing with difficult guests, but actually the steps of service. They are very demanding, but once you got them down you're golden! I love having good feedback from my tables, it can make your night!

2.9