East Side Mario's Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and Fun Workplace
Waitress/Bartender/Certified Trainer (Former Employee), Brantford, ONFebruary 8, 2016
I throughly enjoyed my experience working at East Side Mario's. i had the ability to receive 4 promotions, and i have experience is most front of the house abilities. (host, waitress, bartender, certified trainer). I am definitely a people person, and I love being able to be apart of a customers great experience within any restaurant.
Fun work place
SERVER (Former Employee), Alliston, ONFebruary 6, 2016
A typical day at work would be serving the tables in a fast paced manner. My co-workers were all wonderful we all got along good and worked well in a team work setting
Fast Paced Fun environment
Server/Bartender (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 6, 2016
Pros: Discounted food for employees
Cons: Lack of training for new employees
-Busy most days
-Learned how to multi task in a very fast paced environment
-Poor management made the job difficult
-The most enjoyable ;art of the job was the regular customers that visited.
lots of fun
General Manager (Current Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Great Place to work
co workers are great
guests at times are difficult
Management is understanding to personal issues
varied work schedule
Productive and Fun
Prep Cook and Salad Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2016
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours and very fast paced
It was an amazing first job. The environment is friendly and encouraging. Very fast paced job once the customers start arriving, so you have to be quick and ready to work under pressure. Overall, its a great place to work at no doubt.
It was fun to work at this job
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Former Employee), Pickering, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: good food
Cons: fast pacing hard if your partner is slower then you
dishes was the mostly what I did but every Wednesday was both dishes and food prep. everyone is mostly younger so it was easy too get along with them.
high paced fast movig
Dish washer (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJanuary 23, 2016
Pros: all the smoke breaks you want provided your area is empty
Cons: no discount on anything
you need to be on your toes in the kitchen because the next thing you know the grease trap is over flowing and it needs to get cleaned up. it can be demanding but that is the same for all sports restaurant.
Great for gaining experience in the serving industry
Server/Bartender/Manager (Current Employee), Hunt Club, ONJanuary 22, 2016
A typical day at work is pretty normal actually. Come in for your shift 15 minutes early in case it is busy and you have to start right away, do your best to serve your guests while keeping up with the steps of service. Time management and multi-tasking are two things that you will learn very fast if you apply yourself when at work. Management and your co-workers are always there for you. Whether you're in school or full-time. They always try to make your life at work and outside of work as easy as possible. Great job for students! The hardest part of the job is not dealing with difficult guests, but actually the steps of service. They are very demanding, but once you got them down you're golden! I love having good feedback from my tables, it can make your night!
fun place to work low wages
Cook (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: flexible schedule and great manager
Cons: finacally capped
east sides is a healthy environment to work but minimal earning potential given the style of corporation/franchise. easy to learn basic cooking skills and team training but not intended to be a culinary training program minimal criteria is covered but enough to make a line cook professional atmosphere
All the bread you can eat.
Bar & Promotions Manager/Server (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Paid pretty well. Most people were friendly to work with. Customers could be quite rude due to location. Not all members of the management team were equally supportive.
A Fantastic Place to Work
Kitchen staff (Current Employee), Orillia, ONJanuary 12, 2016
East Side Mario's was an excellent opportunity for me to expand my knowledge, work ethic, ability to work under pressure, and many more extremely important skills. The kitchen was an intense environment with hardly any down time. This taught me how to remain calm in stressful situations and has not only benefited my skills as a member of the kitchen staff but allowed me to grow and develop in ways transferable to almost any other job.
Italian
Host/Server (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2016
Pros: food
it was great working there, met a lot of great people and my supervisor was amazing. the deals on the food was cool and amazing tips
The only thing missing is more people to share the fun
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: Lovely atmosphere, friendly staff, very nice managers
Cons: Non-structured hours, lack of staffing
- Surprisingly easy to keep yourself busy, always something to do
- Keeping people happy is as simple as offering to help share the work or do something they don't want to, or sharing a compliment and maintaining the kid-friendly atmosphere
- I've learned more about communication and organization of thoughts than I have in any other area of my life
- Work is demanding but extremely rewarding, being able to create something that brings people warmth and joy
- The hardest part of this job is being able to keep your head on when it gets busy
- Management is friendly but strict, and always willing to help you out of a jam if you communicate enough with them
- A typical day involves hard work, heavy lifting, food preparation and cooking, and most importantly - sanitation and kitchen maintenance.
lots of fun
Line cook, inventory control (Former Employee), Camrose, ABJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: free meal
Cons: dish washer
the staff are great and there is a never ending pool of knowledge to be had. I learned new styles of cooking proper ways to handle special products. co workers are always ready to step in and help and teach you hardest part is cleanin the new pizza oven best part is showing up
I love my job
cook (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 3, 2016
Pros: cooking
Cons: management
management sucks but i like what i do. The people i work with are nice and it gets super busy so the work load is a lot. More efficiency is needed in order to make it work and to make it a positive environment ,
Churn, Burn and Backstab - Budda Boom Budda Bing!
Lead - Food Preparations (Former Employee), London, ONDecember 17, 2015
Pros: Half-off lunches and free time... because good luck getting hours!
Cons: Incompetent and lazy management
Life/work balance is about the only decent thing I had for this because they give you so few hours you have all the time in the world to do your own thing. For a full-timer like I was, 28 hour weeks and an average shift length of 5.5 hours do not keep the lights on! Strike one.

Management will work you to death in those 5.5 hours, however... often you will do 8 hours of work in that time. For the fifth busiest location chain-wide across Canada that pulls in more than $10,000 in sales on an average weekend evening, shame on you! Clear case of cheap management skimping so they can pocket their bonuses at the expense of employees stressed beyond their physical and mental limits with no support whatsoever. Strike two.

And if you go above and beyond to demonstrate your worth to the company to move up, good luck to you! I was told "we can't afford to lose you in your section" while they promote some stooge externally with no clue how to manage the place. No raise to justify my effort and imposing a glass ceiling on an ambitious person... strike three.

You're out, ESM. Good riddance.
restaurant
Host/Busser/Food runner/Dish washer/Server (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2015
Pros: serving: Tips(money)
Cons: labor accommodations
A typical day working at Eastside Marios is great, the staff is very friendly. I'm constantly learning new types of people skills, due to the fact that i deal with many different type of guests that come into the restaurant. The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with the common problem of insufficient materials needed to complete tasks when the restaurant gets busy, which is completely normal & alright but still stressful at times. On the flip side, the most enjoyable part of the job would be a tie between the interactions between all the staff & getting to interact with so many new people, which would be the guests. There are very interesting people in the world & i consider it an honor to have been able to meet as many as i have.
my time @ east sides
Hostess (Former Employee), Milton, ONNovember 7, 2015
I was only there for a limited amount of time, that said my time there was very enjoyable and the employees are very friendly, as is management. Overall it's a comfortable environment to work in.
great company to work for
General Manager (Former Employee), Dundas, ONOctober 6, 2015
ESM was a great company to work for. The company offers great benefits and lots of perks. I miss the employees and atmosphere.
great place to work
Line Cook (Former Employee), Markham, ONOctober 6, 2015
great environment, the coworkers were great the food was fun to create and the flexibility was fantastic. Great christmas parties as well.