East Side Mario's Employee Reviews in Canada

Owner sucks, managers are nice
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ONApril 5, 2016
This is a pretty good place to work if you are young but if you have any experience then stay far far away.

Owner is very cheap -- will not pay you properly. Hours will be missing from your pay check… it is a known fact in the workplace. He will never introduce himself to you or thank you for anything. He will not complain to your face about you but get the managers to do his dirty work. He sees you as a dollar sign and nothing more. HOWEVER he is not there often and the managers are great.
Excellent place to learn and grow
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
A typical day at East Side Mario's involves lots of cooking, cleaning and prep work to ensure the days tasks are completed and even exceeded.

I learned many things while working there, all of which, helped me to grow and improve as a person. I learned how to work with others as a team and to manage tasks, while helping others to accomplish their's. Speaking with clients and customers in a professional and courteous manner.

How to manage stress and not let it effect the way I work.
All the bread you can eat.
Bar & Promotions Manager/Server (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Paid pretty well. Most people were friendly to work with. Customers could be quite rude due to location. Not all members of the management team were equally supportive.
I love my job
cook (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 3, 2016
management sucks but i like what i do. The people i work with are nice and it gets super busy so the work load is a lot. More efficiency is needed in order to make it work and to make it a positive environment ,
Pros
cooking
Cons
management
restaurant
Host/Busser/Food runner/Dish washer/Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2015
A typical day working at Eastside Marios is great, the staff is very friendly. I'm constantly learning new types of people skills, due to the fact that i deal with many different type of guests that come into the restaurant. The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with the common problem of insufficient materials needed to complete tasks when the restaurant gets busy, which is completely normal & alright but still stressful at times. On the flip side, the most enjoyable part of the job would be a tie between the interactions between all the staff & getting to interact with so many new people, which would be the guests. There are very interesting people in the world & i consider it an honor to have been able to meet as many as i have.
Pros
serving: Tips(money)
Cons
labor accommodations
Good people, great advancement opportunity, stellar job
Sous Chef, Prep Chef (Former Employee) –  387 Wellington Road S, and 3079 Wonderland Rd SMay 5, 2016
My experience at East Side Marios was a pleasant one for sure. Even during the fast paced and often frantic rushes, my team and I managed to keep things from getting chaotic or unorganized. My usual day at work varied depending on the station I was on. Usually I was in Prep making food for the whole day. It was a large responsibility and often I had to modify my quantity numbers on the fly which I became adept at. If I was working on the line it was a much more fast paced environment which required focus, a calm head, and swift cooking skills. My managers changed a few times over the years but I had a great rapport with all of them, the same can be said of my co-workers. Those co-workers who were always there came to trust me to do my part and we built a strong team for getting through lunch and dinner rushes. The most difficult part of the job was staying focused during a busy dinner rush, while maintaining speed and quality of product. My most enjoyable aspect of the job was the moment after a busy rush or a long day of prep where I could look at the work I had done and be proud.
Pros
Great people, food discounts, life skills, kitchen skills
Cons
The kitchen would often get quite hot in the summer
Travail d'équipe, plaisir, productivité
Pizza man (Current Employee) –  Saint-Jérôme, QCMarch 4, 2016
Chaque jour j'apprends :

- À comprendre et s'entendre avec mes collègues
-Travailler à un bon rythme et de façon constante

Par contre, desfois les erreurs qui sont le résultats de tous les travailleur, un seul coupable est chercher pour lui attribuer le blâme.

Mon momment préféré est que j'ai le droit à une pizza ou un bon plat de pâtes à la fin de mon quart de travail !
Pros
Lunch Gratuit
Cons
Blâme pour erreurs communes
A Fantastic Place to Work
Kitchen staff (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ONJanuary 12, 2016
East Side Mario's was an excellent opportunity for me to expand my knowledge, work ethic, ability to work under pressure, and many more extremely important skills. The kitchen was an intense environment with hardly any down time. This taught me how to remain calm in stressful situations and has not only benefited my skills as a member of the kitchen staff but allowed me to grow and develop in ways transferable to almost any other job.
conection with the public
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONMarch 21, 2016
Welcoming and greeting costumers, suiting there needs that the restaurant has to offer upon their request. Finding and organising seating arrangements for costumers. Managing wait lists and keep costumers apprised of wait times as well as clearing and setting tables promptly to ensure restaurant always looks well kept.
Productive and a fun place to work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABJuly 22, 2015
I loved having to go to work. The environment was so welcoming and amazing. I have never liked working so much until I worked at East Side Mario's. I learnt that everyone has a job in the work place even though you might be titled as the same job. Management was crazy good. Very nice people and if something went wrong, thy handled it right away. Hardest part of the job was when people didn't do their duties and left the other workers left with doing it. It was very frustrating. I enjoyed everything about working there. It was very sad to leave.
Pros
Amazing atmosphere
Cons
Not enough hours
Service with a smile
Bartender server (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONApril 13, 2016
Working at east side Mario's was a great serving experience. It empowered my multi tasking skills and provided me with a great opportunity to make tips and a competitive wage. the food was a great at a discount of 50% and the family atmosphere made it fun to go to work.
Pros
Great food at a discount.
Cons
N/A
Busy and fun environment
Hostess / Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 2, 2016
A typical day at East Side Mario's is normally either a steady or fast pace, depending on whether it is a lunch or dinner shift that I am working, it also varies on whether or not I am on the floor working as a hostess or a server because these jobs are different and require individual skills for each. It consists of interacting with all types of customers. Some interactions being pleasant and some not so pleasant, which is to be expected in this line of work. There is always a way to stay busy. Working here I learned how to work as apart of a team in order to keep a steady flow to the restaurant. As well as, learning how to speak to customers in an appropriate manner. At this point in time the management could be better, there are issues in the restaurant that are stemmed from the management, affecting the way people work, and the overall mood/atmosphere of the restaurant. The co-workers is the best aspect of this job, the people are amazing and there is a sense of community among the workers. The hardest part is adapting to the extra step of the All-you-can-eat soup or salad. It adds extra steps that can limit the amount of tables you are able to take, but at the end of the night, it is all worth it. Aside from the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job like I previously said is being around the people that I work with, they are what make the job enjoyable.
Standard first job. Not too much to complain about.
Back End Staff (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 28, 2015
The perks were good. The schedule was flexible. However, management positions were not filled with great consideration. Some of the management staff was weaker than others. Both staff members and guests complained about the weaker portion of the management staff.
Pros
free food. flexible schedule
Cons
long hours until 3 am sometimes. Poor management
fun place to work low wages
Cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2016
east sides is a healthy environment to work but minimal earning potential given the style of corporation/franchise. easy to learn basic cooking skills and team training but not intended to be a culinary training program minimal criteria is covered but enough to make a line cook professional atmosphere
Pros
flexible schedule and great manager
Cons
finacally capped
my time @ east sides
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONNovember 7, 2015
I was only there for a limited amount of time, that said my time there was very enjoyable and the employees are very friendly, as is management. Overall it's a comfortable environment to work in.
great company to work for
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ONOctober 6, 2015
ESM was a great company to work for. The company offers great benefits and lots of perks. I miss the employees and atmosphere.
Very Nice place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
Really decent location, clean interior, and very friendly staff. . Nothing at all to complain about. Would recommended for some Italian-ish food and for special occasion
Pros
Huge Tip
high paced fast movig
Dish washer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJanuary 23, 2016
you need to be on your toes in the kitchen because the next thing you know the grease trap is over flowing and it needs to get cleaned up. it can be demanding but that is the same for all sports restaurant.
Pros
all the smoke breaks you want provided your area is empty
Cons
no discount on anything
Fun up beat
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONApril 2, 2016
I loved working at East Side Marios. Very upbeat environment, loved the people I worked with. Enjoyed my job, the hours. Always very busy and on your feet!
lots of fun
Line cook, inventory control (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABJanuary 4, 2016
the staff are great and there is a never ending pool of knowledge to be had. I learned new styles of cooking proper ways to handle special products. co workers are always ready to step in and help and teach you hardest part is cleanin the new pizza oven best part is showing up
Pros
free meal
Cons
dish washer