East Side Mario's Employee Reviews

fun workplace with a lot of coworkers
Hostess/Expo (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON1 May 2016
Since East Side Mario's was my first job and I did Co-op there, I learned how to be responsible, always be on time, make sure to be at work at least 15 min before my shift, make sure to call in if I am going to be late for whatever reason, make sure to call in at least 3 hours before my shift if sick or even more than 3 hours, and use my time wisely. In life we wont always get along with everyone, sometimes we might not like who we work with but i learned that no matter what, at work we have to deal with it somehow, and try to be nice to everyone and have respect for each other on the floor or even outside. One if the hardest job at the restaurant as a hostess was to find seating place and have everything under control on Friday nights, the waiting lists would be so long that people had to wait for more than 30 minutes.
Pros
Best tips
Cons
Too much work, did more than expected
good atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON31 March 2016
I liked working here, it had a great atmosphere and I really loved all of the employees, management was really helpful and understanding and was always making sure everything was good at work and at home. The hardest part of the job was probably being there till 1am, I learned a lot about my self while I was there, as it was my first serving job, and I realized my love of customer service.
Pros
the employees
Cons
the drive to work
Great for gaining experience in the serving industry
Server/Bartender/Manager (Current Employee) –  Hunt Club, ON22 January 2016
A typical day at work is pretty normal actually. Come in for your shift 15 minutes early in case it is busy and you have to start right away, do your best to serve your guests while keeping up with the steps of service. Time management and multi-tasking are two things that you will learn very fast if you apply yourself when at work. Management and your co-workers are always there for you. Whether you're in school or full-time. They always try to make your life at work and outside of work as easy as possible. Great job for students! The hardest part of the job is not dealing with difficult guests, but actually the steps of service. They are very demanding, but once you got them down you're golden! I love having good feedback from my tables, it can make your night!
Great workplace
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 November 2016
Great teamwork and a lot of skills were learned. Exceptional place to start learning serving but am looking to grow from there. looking forward to growing elsewhere
good
Cons
limiting
Busy and fun environment
Hostess / Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 May 2016
A typical day at East Side Mario's is normally either a steady or fast pace, depending on whether it is a lunch or dinner shift that I am working, it also varies on whether or not I am on the floor working as a hostess or a server because these jobs are different and require individual skills for each. It consists of interacting with all types of customers. Some interactions being pleasant and some not so pleasant, which is to be expected in this line of work. There is always a way to stay busy. Working here I learned how to work as apart of a team in order to keep a steady flow to the restaurant. As well as, learning how to speak to customers in an appropriate manner. At this point in time the management could be better, there are issues in the restaurant that are stemmed from the management, affecting the way people work, and the overall mood/atmosphere of the restaurant. The co-workers is the best aspect of this job, the people are amazing and there is a sense of community among the workers. The hardest part is adapting to the extra step of the All-you-can-eat soup or salad. It adds extra steps that can limit the amount of tables you are able to take, but at the end of the night, it is all worth it. Aside from the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job like I previously said is being around the people that I work with, they are what make the job enjoyable.
Fun and productive
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 April 2016
How i would start my day is by portioning all the pasta then prep all the veggies for the lunch rush, then would go onto pizza salad and help out during the lunch rush. What would happen next is that i would go back and wash the dishes from the lunch rush, then i would prep the meat for the dinner rush after that i would clean up my station and leave.
Pros
free lunches
Trash
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON21 October 2016
The job was trash. They expected me to work everyday plus keep my other job. I guessed they did this so they don't feel guilty of leaving me unemployed when they fire me but whatever.
Pros
Discount dinner
Service with a smile
Bartender server (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON13 April 2016
Working at east side Mario's was a great serving experience. It empowered my multi tasking skills and provided me with a great opportunity to make tips and a competitive wage. the food was a great at a discount of 50% and the family atmosphere made it fun to go to work.
Pros
Great food at a discount.
Cons
N/A
The only thing missing is more people to share the fun
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON4 January 2016
- Surprisingly easy to keep yourself busy, always something to do
- Keeping people happy is as simple as offering to help share the work or do something they don't want to, or sharing a compliment and maintaining the kid-friendly atmosphere
- I've learned more about communication and organization of thoughts than I have in any other area of my life
- Work is demanding but extremely rewarding, being able to create something that brings people warmth and joy
- The hardest part of this job is being able to keep your head on when it gets busy
- Management is friendly but strict, and always willing to help you out of a jam if you communicate enough with them
- A typical day involves hard work, heavy lifting, food preparation and cooking, and most importantly - sanitation and kitchen maintenance.
Pros
Lovely atmosphere, friendly staff, very nice managers
Cons
Non-structured hours, lack of staffing
lots of fun
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 February 2016
Great Place to work
co workers are great
guests at times are difficult
Management is understanding to personal issues
varied work schedule
productive
Kitchen Staff (Dishwasher) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 September 2016
I learned how to keep the place sanitized and clean .
the most enjoyable part of the job are the people you work with.
what did i clean? i cleaned the dishwasher plates and pans garbage bins and the floor.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
not enough hours
great place
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 October 2016
awsome place great staff all around got hourly plus tip outs free lunch but was only a summer gig would love to work there again my trainers name was norm and he was awsome
Pros
free food, tip out
Cons
repettative
It is good place to work
Pizza Salad (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON16 November 2016
Excellent, have been here 8 months, and would still continue to work as they can become flexible with my schedule some times
new people everyday, meeting new and different cultures
Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB12 September 2016
greeting all who works with good attitude. new dishes every day cooking and cleaning with all prep that needs to be done, and the co-workers are just so friendly.
Staff at my location was great!
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  London Ontario East10 September 2016
For the most part my employment at East Sides was a good one. The owner was great as well as 90% of the staff. The mood was light and hours were plenty if wanted/needed.
Pros
Staff, tips
Cons
Uniforms ugly.
Customer Satisfaction Expeditor & Host (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 September 2016
Conducive working environment, daily entertainment activities and strong teamwork capabilities. Fast-paced environment with strong point of sale and selling techniques developed.
Very Nice place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2016
Really decent location, clean interior, and very friendly staff. . Nothing at all to complain about. Would recommended for some Italian-ish food and for special occasion
Pros
Huge Tip
fun enviornment
Dishwashing/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 May 2016
Great working enviornment the workers were amazing along with the managers\. I learned how to interact with customers and to always have a positive attitude everyday at work. My coworkers were great some needed more help than others but just helps you to work with a team.Most enjoyable part was providing good service to the customers.
Good people to work with and a fun job
Pizza and Salad Chef (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON26 August 2016
My typical day at work would to be making the food that would come in the for customers, such as pizza and salad, and desserts for what the customers are ordering
Fast Paced and Productive
HOST (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON6 September 2016
I really liked working at East Side. Every shift, i was moving at all times and I was always extremely busy. The staff was nice and i loved greeting and seating customers.

2.9