East Side Mario's Employee Reviews

excellent
manager (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON24 February 2017
wonderful staff and a rewarding place to work. locally owned business with a loyal clientele. fast paced environment that rewards those who work hard.
Worst place I've worked
Host (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB5 February 2017
It was the worlds worst place I have ever worked there was never any advancements the boss was rude un trustworthy and I was never taught what to do I was thrown in to work
Pros
Cons
No teaching
Great server experience
Bartender and Server (Former Employee) –  Appleby, ON7 November 2016
The waterdown Keg was my last job and it was fantastic

Work philosophy with passionate management made the waterdown keg a great work experience.

Learned many valuable hospitality techniques from seasoned servers.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Slow compared to other locations
Churn, Burn and Backstab - Budda Boom Budda Bing!
Lead - Food Preparations (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 December 2015
Life/work balance is about the only decent thing I had for this because they give you so few hours you have all the time in the world to do your own thing. For a full-timer like I was, 28 hour weeks and an average shift length of 5.5 hours do not keep the lights on! Strike one.

Management will work you to death in those 5.5 hours, however... often you will do 8 hours of work in that time. For the fifth busiest location chain-wide across Canada that pulls in more than $10,000 in sales on an average weekend evening, shame on you! Clear case of cheap management skimping so they can pocket their bonuses at the expense of employees stressed beyond their physical and mental limits with no support whatsoever. Strike two.

And if you go above and beyond to demonstrate your worth to the company to move up, good luck to you! I was told "we can't afford to lose you in your section" while they promote some stooge externally with no clue how to manage the place. No raise to justify my effort and imposing a glass ceiling on an ambitious person... strike three.

You're out, ESM. Good riddance.
Pros
Half-off lunches and free time... because good luck getting hours!
Cons
Incompetent and lazy management
Great Place To Work
Server (Current Employee) –  Cornwall, ON25 January 2017
Fantastic fast paced work environment, all staff members and management are always happy. Its a pleasure to go into work.I have learned a lot of organizational skills, as well as time management skills.
fast paced enviroment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON28 November 2016
To work at east side marios you need to be able to quickly and efficiently handle change and disaster, and customers. Having a strong relationship with your team members is the key to a successful career here.
Fun workplace
Server (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 February 2017
I learned a lot while working here, was my first serving job, had a lot of fun, & learned what it takes to be a server, there was issues with management, but nothing that isn't like a normal job.
Overall a good experience, if a bit rigid with regards to management
Server and Hostess (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 October 2016
It was like a big, happy, dysfunctional family, however management were a bit harsh. They made it very difficult to obtain any information, including the schedule, and were very harsh on employees who had very valid reasons for missing work.
east side marios
Prep-Line Cook/ Dishwasher/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON7 February 2017
I enjoyed working there for the most part. friendly staff and management. shift scheduling was difficult and managers had bad attitudes
Productive work place
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 April 2016
• Provided excellent customer service while escorting customers to their tables and while taking food and drink orders, resulting in a large increase in positive feedback slips.
• Demonstrated strong organizational skills by keeping a clearly laid out waitlist at the front door, ensuring that the wait staff knew what needed to be done for the night to run smoothly.
• Responsible for keeping up with bussing tables and keeping the restaurant clean, resulting in reduced wait times for customers and faster turnover between customers.
• Enhanced the sales of daily specials and signature dishes through effective promotion.
Pros
Working with a lot of great people
Cons
Long hours on weekends
Fun
server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 December 2016
Fun and exciting place to work. Management and staff are friendly and helpful. Wide range of customers makes everyday different. Fast paced and loud at times.
For the most part very friendly place to work and overall enjoyable staff to be around, very busy and kept me on my toes which I enjoyed.
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB20 June 2016
A typical day was about a 5 hour shift that was quite steady, I learned a lot about customer service and the job helped me become more confident and outgoing, I learned about food safety and alcohol safety. The management was very disorganized however and schedules were ver inconsistent and changed frequently. I did not find this job very difficult on a regular day it only got a little hard when we got very big rushes and hockey teams/ dance teams. Every part of this job was enjoyable, I love serving and will continue to love every aspect of it.
Pros
Discounts on food, friendly place, taught me a lot about serving.
Cons
Short shifts, disorganized management.
Great Place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON23 November 2016
Perfected the art of multi-tasking with the All you can eat bread, soup and salad. This job kept me on my feet and has taught me a lot. Management and coworkers were great!
First O&B Restaurant
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON18 January 2017
• Monitored and anticipated guest needs, respond promptly and acknowledged all guests
• Remained aware of guest needs and provided guests with clean silverware, ice water, condiments and special requests
• Responsible for Running Food, clean and setup tables
Esm
Head Hostess (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB27 September 2016
Was an awesome time working at ESM, although the owner went bankrupt and i lost my job. Overall the experience was awesome, very fast paced and fun.
Pros
great teammates
East Side Marios
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON27 January 2017
I could go on and on about this location. But, don't work here. There are so many legal problems here from harassment to theft that you don't want to get yourself caught up with it.
Pros
free food
Fast Paced family style restaurant
Hostess and Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 March 2016
I love working with people from different walks of life. There are no race, age, or LGBTQ barriers. And getting to know them is one of the best parts of the job. Management is just okay. They ask for a lot more than they are willing to give but on occasion will try to accommodate small requests by staff. (breaks during 12 hour shifts, pay for overtime and long weekends -time and a half...this is not referring to all locations) The hardest part of the job is dealing with irate customers who do not understand the flow of a restaurant on busy nights but can sometimes be easy to calm down. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I am good at what I do and have only gotten more confident in my abilities when given the chance to move to server. I have learned that working in a restaurant is one of the best jobs to have. It may get crazy at times but working with a team as driven as restaurant employees makes for a great work experience on the slow and busy days.
Pros
Free food (sometimes) and Cara discount cards
Cons
Long hours with no real breaks
good start.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON22 February 2017
worked there for a short time, had hostess duties such as rolling cutlery, seating customers, informing customers about food specials, etc. good job to start in the service industry.
Great work environment
Waitress/Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 September 2016
Fun and supportive workplace. Was able to feel comfortable to be myself because of how supportive my team were. Management was understanding and always motivating the team.
Great workplace
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 November 2016
Great teamwork and a lot of skills were learned. Exceptional place to start learning serving but am looking to grow from there. looking forward to growing elsewhere
good
Cons
limiting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Side Mario's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9