East Side Mario's Employee Reviews in Canada

Good people to work with and a fun job
Pizza and Salad Chef (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONAugust 26, 2016
My typical day at work would to be making the food that would come in the for customers, such as pizza and salad, and desserts for what the customers are ordering
Busy, and fast working paced job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJuly 17, 2016
Working at East Side Marios was fun, it was a fast paced job and I loved it.
I feel I work better in fast paced environments.
Co-workers were all very friendly and showed me a lot about working at ESM.
The hardest part of the job was trying to do too much at once.
Overall fun atmosphere with friendly employees
Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 30, 2016
The staff all knows how to have a good time and is there for one another. Days can be long due to the high volume of large parties, usually hockey teams. Customers mostly come in to use a coupon they received in the mail or to check out the current promotion. Take out and deliveries also account for a large portion of business.
Pros
Half priced food, friendly staff
Cons
Low prices result in lower tips
For the most part very friendly place to work and overall enjoyable staff to be around, very busy and kept me on my toes which I enjoyed.
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABJune 20, 2016
A typical day was about a 5 hour shift that was quite steady, I learned a lot about customer service and the job helped me become more confident and outgoing, I learned about food safety and alcohol safety. The management was very disorganized however and schedules were ver inconsistent and changed frequently. I did not find this job very difficult on a regular day it only got a little hard when we got very big rushes and hockey teams/ dance teams. Every part of this job was enjoyable, I love serving and will continue to love every aspect of it.
Pros
Discounts on food, friendly place, taught me a lot about serving.
Cons
Short shifts, disorganized management.
People are great, not the best place to work.
Dishwasher, (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 13, 2016
While working you are only provided a 15 minute break on a 8-9 hour shift. the people that are working there usually make it better tho and try and make the time go by faster.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long hours no breaks
Fast paced and friendly environment
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMay 30, 2016
I learned a lot about the importance of giving a perfect customer experience and keeping good relationships with your coworkers
fun enviornment
Dishwashing/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 29, 2016
Great working enviornment the workers were amazing along with the managers\. I learned how to interact with customers and to always have a positive attitude everyday at work. My coworkers were great some needed more help than others but just helps you to work with a team.Most enjoyable part was providing good service to the customers.
dishwasher and pizza salad cook
Food Prep/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON and kitcnener location as wellMay 28, 2016
a day at work was the same doing dishes and making pizza and salads and doing prep, some of the managers were nice, the co workers were ok, i really enjoyed making pizza and salads
Pros
learned new things
Cons
favortism
Fun productive
Kitchen Help Co-op student (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 13, 2016
Everyone there was nice and helpful when you needed help they would help

The people there made it really fun and the team was easy to get a long with
Good place to work and meet new people
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABMay 8, 2016
Working with co-workers,meeting new people,making new friends,great place to work,learning new things and been around people.
Good people, great advancement opportunity, stellar job
Sous Chef, Prep Chef (Former Employee) –  387 Wellington Road S, and 3079 Wonderland Rd SMay 5, 2016
My experience at East Side Marios was a pleasant one for sure. Even during the fast paced and often frantic rushes, my team and I managed to keep things from getting chaotic or unorganized. My usual day at work varied depending on the station I was on. Usually I was in Prep making food for the whole day. It was a large responsibility and often I had to modify my quantity numbers on the fly which I became adept at. If I was working on the line it was a much more fast paced environment which required focus, a calm head, and swift cooking skills. My managers changed a few times over the years but I had a great rapport with all of them, the same can be said of my co-workers. Those co-workers who were always there came to trust me to do my part and we built a strong team for getting through lunch and dinner rushes. The most difficult part of the job was staying focused during a busy dinner rush, while maintaining speed and quality of product. My most enjoyable aspect of the job was the moment after a busy rush or a long day of prep where I could look at the work I had done and be proud.
Pros
Great people, food discounts, life skills, kitchen skills
Cons
The kitchen would often get quite hot in the summer
Busy and fun environment
Hostess / Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 2, 2016
A typical day at East Side Mario's is normally either a steady or fast pace, depending on whether it is a lunch or dinner shift that I am working, it also varies on whether or not I am on the floor working as a hostess or a server because these jobs are different and require individual skills for each. It consists of interacting with all types of customers. Some interactions being pleasant and some not so pleasant, which is to be expected in this line of work. There is always a way to stay busy. Working here I learned how to work as apart of a team in order to keep a steady flow to the restaurant. As well as, learning how to speak to customers in an appropriate manner. At this point in time the management could be better, there are issues in the restaurant that are stemmed from the management, affecting the way people work, and the overall mood/atmosphere of the restaurant. The co-workers is the best aspect of this job, the people are amazing and there is a sense of community among the workers. The hardest part is adapting to the extra step of the All-you-can-eat soup or salad. It adds extra steps that can limit the amount of tables you are able to take, but at the end of the night, it is all worth it. Aside from the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job like I previously said is being around the people that I work with, they are what make the job enjoyable.
fun workplace with a lot of coworkers
Hostess/Expo (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 1, 2016
Since East Side Mario's was my first job and I did Co-op there, I learned how to be responsible, always be on time, make sure to be at work at least 15 min before my shift, make sure to call in if I am going to be late for whatever reason, make sure to call in at least 3 hours before my shift if sick or even more than 3 hours, and use my time wisely. In life we wont always get along with everyone, sometimes we might not like who we work with but i learned that no matter what, at work we have to deal with it somehow, and try to be nice to everyone and have respect for each other on the floor or even outside. One if the hardest job at the restaurant as a hostess was to find seating place and have everything under control on Friday nights, the waiting lists would be so long that people had to wait for more than 30 minutes.
Pros
Best tips
Cons
Too much work, did more than expected
Excellent place to learn and grow
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
A typical day at East Side Mario's involves lots of cooking, cleaning and prep work to ensure the days tasks are completed and even exceeded.

I learned many things while working there, all of which, helped me to grow and improve as a person. I learned how to work with others as a team and to manage tasks, while helping others to accomplish their's. Speaking with clients and customers in a professional and courteous manner.

How to manage stress and not let it effect the way I work.
Very Nice place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
Really decent location, clean interior, and very friendly staff. . Nothing at all to complain about. Would recommended for some Italian-ish food and for special occasion
Pros
Huge Tip
Service with a smile
Bartender server (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONApril 13, 2016
Working at east side Mario's was a great serving experience. It empowered my multi tasking skills and provided me with a great opportunity to make tips and a competitive wage. the food was a great at a discount of 50% and the family atmosphere made it fun to go to work.
Pros
Great food at a discount.
Cons
N/A
Owner sucks, managers are nice
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ONApril 5, 2016
This is a pretty good place to work if you are young but if you have any experience then stay far far away.

Owner is very cheap -- will not pay you properly. Hours will be missing from your pay check… it is a known fact in the workplace. He will never introduce himself to you or thank you for anything. He will not complain to your face about you but get the managers to do his dirty work. He sees you as a dollar sign and nothing more. HOWEVER he is not there often and the managers are great.
Productive work place
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 5, 2016
• Provided excellent customer service while escorting customers to their tables and while taking food and drink orders, resulting in a large increase in positive feedback slips.
• Demonstrated strong organizational skills by keeping a clearly laid out waitlist at the front door, ensuring that the wait staff knew what needed to be done for the night to run smoothly.
• Responsible for keeping up with bussing tables and keeping the restaurant clean, resulting in reduced wait times for customers and faster turnover between customers.
• Enhanced the sales of daily specials and signature dishes through effective promotion.
Pros
Working with a lot of great people
Cons
Long hours on weekends
Fun and productive
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 5, 2016
How i would start my day is by portioning all the pasta then prep all the veggies for the lunch rush, then would go onto pizza salad and help out during the lunch rush. What would happen next is that i would go back and wash the dishes from the lunch rush, then i would prep the meat for the dinner rush after that i would clean up my station and leave.
Pros
free lunches
Fun up beat
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONApril 2, 2016
I loved working at East Side Marios. Very upbeat environment, loved the people I worked with. Enjoyed my job, the hours. Always very busy and on your feet!

2.9