East Side Mario's Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Owner sucks, managers are nice
Bartender (Current Employee), Dundas, ONApril 5, 2016
This is a pretty good place to work if you are young but if you have any experience then stay far far away.

Owner is very cheap -- will not pay you properly. Hours will be missing from your pay check… it is a known fact in the workplace. He will never introduce himself to you or thank you for anything. He will not complain to your face about you but get the managers to do his dirty work. He sees you as a dollar sign and nothing more. HOWEVER he is not there often and the managers are great.
Productive work place
Hostess/Server (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 5, 2016
Pros: Working with a lot of great people
Cons: Long hours on weekends
• Provided excellent customer service while escorting customers to their tables and while taking food and drink orders, resulting in a large increase in positive feedback slips.
• Demonstrated strong organizational skills by keeping a clearly laid out waitlist at the front door, ensuring that the wait staff knew what needed to be done for the night to run smoothly.
• Responsible for keeping up with bussing tables and keeping the restaurant clean, resulting in reduced wait times for customers and faster turnover between customers.
• Enhanced the sales of daily specials and signature dishes through effective promotion.
Unprofessional Management
Server/Bartender (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 30, 2016
Pros: Warm and welcoming staff and customers
Cons: Management, hours, and pay
I was employed with East Side Mario's for three months while I was attending post-secondary at Fanshawe College. The work environment was welcoming; however, the management staff were not much help when it was a busy night, nor were they professional. I found that some of the management talked rudely to the staff and scheduled staff when they booked days off for school. The management seems to hire and fire quite often, and that is not professional.
Excellent place to learn and grow
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
A typical day at East Side Mario's involves lots of cooking, cleaning and prep work to ensure the days tasks are completed and even exceeded.

I learned many things while working there, all of which, helped me to grow and improve as a person. I learned how to work with others as a team and to manage tasks, while helping others to accomplish their's. Speaking with clients and customers in a professional and courteous manner.

How to manage stress and not let it effect the way I work.
Home Away from Home
Waitressing (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2016
Pros: Social aspect
Cons: Short hours
East side Mario's was my first real shot at serving and they really put a lot of time into training me which i appreciate. The flow of people was constant and unpredictable which made thinking on your feet a necessity to prevail. This is where i developed most of my professional social skills and had a lot of opportunity to practice. The hardest part of the job was the fast manic pace. The most enjoyable for me would also be the fast pace. It was difficult but very satisfying to think back on the shift, barely able to remember what happened, and everything still worked out.
Travail d'équipe, plaisir, productivité
Pizza man (Current Employee), Saint-Jérôme, QCMarch 4, 2016
Pros: Lunch Gratuit
Cons: Blâme pour erreurs communes
Chaque jour j'apprends :

- À comprendre et s'entendre avec mes collègues
-Travailler à un bon rythme et de façon constante

Par contre, desfois les erreurs qui sont le résultats de tous les travailleur, un seul coupable est chercher pour lui attribuer le blâme.

Mon momment préféré est que j'ai le droit à une pizza ou un bon plat de pâtes à la fin de mon quart de travail !
good atmosphere
Server (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 31, 2016
Pros: the employees
Cons: the drive to work
I liked working here, it had a great atmosphere and I really loved all of the employees, management was really helpful and understanding and was always making sure everything was good at work and at home. The hardest part of the job was probably being there till 1am, I learned a lot about my self while I was there, as it was my first serving job, and I realized my love of customer service.
Fun and productive
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 5, 2016
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
How i would start my day is by portioning all the pasta then prep all the veggies for the lunch rush, then would go onto pizza salad and help out during the lunch rush. What would happen next is that i would go back and wash the dishes from the lunch rush, then i would prep the meat for the dinner rush after that i would clean up my station and leave.
A Fantastic Place to Work
Kitchen staff (Current Employee), Orillia, ONJanuary 12, 2016
East Side Mario's was an excellent opportunity for me to expand my knowledge, work ethic, ability to work under pressure, and many more extremely important skills. The kitchen was an intense environment with hardly any down time. This taught me how to remain calm in stressful situations and has not only benefited my skills as a member of the kitchen staff but allowed me to grow and develop in ways transferable to almost any other job.
Strong and effective management
KITCHEN MANAGER/ASSISTANT FRONT END MANAGER (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONFebruary 16, 2016
Working at Eastside Mario's has allowed me to exercise my management skills to lead, direct, and coach team members. Through mentoring and working under pressure I have guided staff to achieve excellent results while performing daily duties. The Eastside Mario's management team worked well together while encouraging each other to lead staff members through busy dinner rushes as well as team projects.The most enjoyable part of my job would be the times when I hire and train new staff. I find that the hardest part of a kitchen Managers role is when all employees are trained under different leaders. I have learned that it takes a strong leader who has effective communication skills, organization skills and dedication to actively perform my duties as Kitchen Manager.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Waitress/Bartender/Certified Trainer (Former Employee), Brantford, ONFebruary 8, 2016
I throughly enjoyed my experience working at East Side Mario's. i had the ability to receive 4 promotions, and i have experience is most front of the house abilities. (host, waitress, bartender, certified trainer). I am definitely a people person, and I love being able to be apart of a customers great experience within any restaurant.
Great for gaining experience in the serving industry
Server/Bartender/Manager (Current Employee), Hunt Club, ONJanuary 22, 2016
A typical day at work is pretty normal actually. Come in for your shift 15 minutes early in case it is busy and you have to start right away, do your best to serve your guests while keeping up with the steps of service. Time management and multi-tasking are two things that you will learn very fast if you apply yourself when at work. Management and your co-workers are always there for you. Whether you're in school or full-time. They always try to make your life at work and outside of work as easy as possible. Great job for students! The hardest part of the job is not dealing with difficult guests, but actually the steps of service. They are very demanding, but once you got them down you're golden! I love having good feedback from my tables, it can make your night!
conection with the public
Hostess (Former Employee), Sudbury, ONMarch 21, 2016
Welcoming and greeting costumers, suiting there needs that the restaurant has to offer upon their request. Finding and organising seating arrangements for costumers. Managing wait lists and keep costumers apprised of wait times as well as clearing and setting tables promptly to ensure restaurant always looks well kept.
fun place to work low wages
Cook (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: flexible schedule and great manager
Cons: finacally capped
east sides is a healthy environment to work but minimal earning potential given the style of corporation/franchise. easy to learn basic cooking skills and team training but not intended to be a culinary training program minimal criteria is covered but enough to make a line cook professional atmosphere
Service with a smile
Bartender server (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 13, 2016
Pros: Great food at a discount.
Cons: N/A
Working at east side Mario's was a great serving experience. It empowered my multi tasking skills and provided me with a great opportunity to make tips and a competitive wage. the food was a great at a discount of 50% and the family atmosphere made it fun to go to work.
Good people, busy place, demanding
Dish/line and cook (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 29, 2016
Pros: scheduling, atmosphere
Cons: pay, opportunity for advancement and raises
I found this to be a decent place to work. The only thing I can complain about is the lack of sympathy/empathy. I was working here when my mother passed away and I had an emergency eye surgery all in about 2 months time and I feel I didn't receive much support. Instead I was written up for missing time (being late) when I was very depressed. It may not be an excuse but my mother passed away and I was not thinking clearly, was late for my first shift back to work (a week after my mom passed) and I was written up.

They work well with you to get a schedule that works for you and there are a lot of employees if you need to change shifts for whatever reason.

They do reviews for each employee with a rating system out of 5, 5 being best. However they tell you straight up that they don't give out 5's ever, and if you don't get a 5, you can't get a raise... I found this very unfair.
restaurant
Host/Busser/Food runner/Dish washer/Server (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2015
Pros: serving: Tips(money)
Cons: labor accommodations
A typical day working at Eastside Marios is great, the staff is very friendly. I'm constantly learning new types of people skills, due to the fact that i deal with many different type of guests that come into the restaurant. The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with the common problem of insufficient materials needed to complete tasks when the restaurant gets busy, which is completely normal & alright but still stressful at times. On the flip side, the most enjoyable part of the job would be a tie between the interactions between all the staff & getting to interact with so many new people, which would be the guests. There are very interesting people in the world & i consider it an honor to have been able to meet as many as i have.
Productive and Fun
Prep Cook and Salad Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2016
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours and very fast paced
It was an amazing first job. The environment is friendly and encouraging. Very fast paced job once the customers start arriving, so you have to be quick and ready to work under pressure. Overall, its a great place to work at no doubt.
lots of fun
Line cook, inventory control (Former Employee), Camrose, ABJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: free meal
Cons: dish washer
the staff are great and there is a never ending pool of knowledge to be had. I learned new styles of cooking proper ways to handle special products. co workers are always ready to step in and help and teach you hardest part is cleanin the new pizza oven best part is showing up
high paced fast movig
Dish washer (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJanuary 23, 2016
Pros: all the smoke breaks you want provided your area is empty
Cons: no discount on anything
you need to be on your toes in the kitchen because the next thing you know the grease trap is over flowing and it needs to get cleaned up. it can be demanding but that is the same for all sports restaurant.