East Side Mario's Employee Reviews

same as before idk why its repeating
BoH Utility (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 January 2017
yeah already wrote my review so writing a second seems redundant. i think you need to upgrade your detection algorithms, something to work on
decent place to work
Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON8 January 2017
start off by changing into uniform, put hair up, punch in your time when you started work, wash hands start making orders.
at the end of the shift i would clean up, prep for the morning shift for the other employee's

my typical day at East-side Marios was decent, i learned that team work was a big must have, i had to work fast and keep up with the orders especially when the hockey teams were in town.

all the co-workers were nice and supportive when one was having a hard time and would always help out.

the most enjoyable part of the job was getting all the orders complete when there was a big rush with no mistakes!
Pros
one free meal
Cons
manager took almost two weeks to tell me i was laid off due to business being slow (winter)
its meh
Assistant Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 January 2017
Good work, but not good if you plan to further yourself as a cook. It has stable hours, and long days if your into that. I would not recommend here if you plan to move up as a cook, you also get very little pay.
Pros
Cons
poor pay
Put your serving skills and your singing to the test!
Restaurant Server (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON5 January 2017
A typical day at work is full of delicious smells, great people, and a quick working environment. Working at East Side Mario's, you must be sure you are able to multitask as there are a lot of things happening at once with unlimited soup, salad, and bread, it adds double the work to the typical serving of just drinks, apps, and meals. You must be able to prioritize and remain calm in a face-paced environment. This is not your typical serving job, it takes a special type of server who is able to serve above and beyond. It's also a no brainer that great customer service skills are an asset in this family friendly restaurant! Ay Budda Boom, Budda Bing!
Pros
50% off staff meals, Flexible schedule
Cons
Long hours on your feet, fast-paced work environment, stressful
Fun
server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 December 2016
Fun and exciting place to work. Management and staff are friendly and helpful. Wide range of customers makes everyday different. Fast paced and loud at times.
A lot of children. And running around.
Server (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 December 2016
I enjoyed working at Eastside Mario's for a while, however the excessive salad, soup, and bread, combined with the sheer size of the store, resulted in a lot of running, literally, in order to make customers happy. After working at Eastside Mario's I had also came to the realization that, while I enjoy working with children in other settings (I also do children's facepainting as volunteer/freelance work), I was not particularly interested in being a server in an extremely kid-friendly restaurant. While the staff and management, and of course the actual menu, were awesome, I don't think it was the right fit for me.
fast paced enviroment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON28 November 2016
To work at east side marios you need to be able to quickly and efficiently handle change and disaster, and customers. Having a strong relationship with your team members is the key to a successful career here.
Great Place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON23 November 2016
Perfected the art of multi-tasking with the All you can eat bread, soup and salad. This job kept me on my feet and has taught me a lot. Management and coworkers were great!
Great workplace
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 November 2016
Great teamwork and a lot of skills were learned. Exceptional place to start learning serving but am looking to grow from there. looking forward to growing elsewhere
good
Cons
limiting
It is good place to work
Pizza Salad (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON16 November 2016
Excellent, have been here 8 months, and would still continue to work as they can become flexible with my schedule some times
Great server experience
Bartender and Server (Former Employee) –  Appleby, ON7 November 2016
The waterdown Keg was my last job and it was fantastic

Work philosophy with passionate management made the waterdown keg a great work experience.

Learned many valuable hospitality techniques from seasoned servers.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Slow compared to other locations
Not enough Shifts
Host (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 November 2016
Had started a job here as a host in august and was being given 3 shifts week which was just enough to get by on but now 3 months later and i haven't been scheduled for a shift in 4 weeks, was told that there was error in the schedule but still no changes. Management was okay but would ask for unrealistic expectations. Not all too impressed and will defiantly not visit or work at a east side marios ever again.
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
work environment, training
Overall a good experience, if a bit rigid with regards to management
Server and Hostess (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 October 2016
It was like a big, happy, dysfunctional family, however management were a bit harsh. They made it very difficult to obtain any information, including the schedule, and were very harsh on employees who had very valid reasons for missing work.
Trash
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON21 October 2016
The job was trash. They expected me to work everyday plus keep my other job. I guessed they did this so they don't feel guilty of leaving me unemployed when they fire me but whatever.
Pros
Discount dinner
Amazing advancement
Pizza/Salad/Line/Host (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON18 October 2016
Worked here for about a year, went from Dish pit, to Pizza Salad in a couple months, Then to Host and Line cook within a couple months after than. Wage went from $10 min wage in dish pit to $15 on line within a year. Trained new people for 14$/ hour.
People on line take too many smoke breaks, and rush times mean there are no breaks.
Tip out is given every other week (depending on your hours worked and how much waitresses give back) $2 minimum when i worked there. Which seemed like too much to most of the waitressing staff walking away with 60-100 on an average night.
At about 30h/week you'd get about $40 every 2 weeks in the kitchen. Hosting you'd get about $15-20/night
Pros
Free lunch if you pick up shifts. Good overtime, Managers were awesome, Great pay
Cons
Sometimes you get sent home early, Late shifts, Poor tip-out
great place
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 October 2016
awsome place great staff all around got hourly plus tip outs free lunch but was only a summer gig would love to work there again my trainers name was norm and he was awsome
Pros
free food, tip out
Cons
repettative
positive atmosphere
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 October 2016
Prepping food for the future, reservations and events. Days would include making pizza, salads and deserts for hungry customers. I learned about the proper storage of food and the high importance of proper sanitation in the work place. The management team was hard working and respected by the staff. The co-workers were well connected which made productivity smooth. Hardest part of the job was when unexpected amounts of people would enter the restaurant when staff was properly prepared. What I enjoyed most about this job was that it had a family like atmosphere, everyone was there to do the best they could do and be helpful at the same time.
Pros
any meal on the menu was discounted
Cons
difficult hours
Literally the worst place I've ever worked
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 October 2016
I was promised max of three shift a week in interview because I am a full time student ended up being scheduled for 5 a week. Applied for prep cook position but it was really just a dishwasher and the put prep cook in ad to attract more people. went to my first shift , none of the mangers were arround to give me training or info about pay. I was given oversized chef pants that I constantly had to pull up throughout the night , I am a medium and they gave me extra large and I was never gaven a correct size .Told I would be done at 9 finished at 11. Constant bad attitude from the rest of the staff although I don't blame them after working under poor management for so long. I quit after a month of horrible management which sucked because the work was easy and I needed a job.
Pros
You will be thankful for any other job
Cons
Too many to list
Great work environment
Waitress/Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 September 2016
Fun and supportive workplace. Was able to feel comfortable to be myself because of how supportive my team were. Management was understanding and always motivating the team.
Esm
Head Hostess (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB27 September 2016
Was an awesome time working at ESM, although the owner went bankrupt and i lost my job. Overall the experience was awesome, very fast paced and fun.
Pros
great teammates

2.9