East Side Mario's Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Working for East Side Mario's
Hostess (Current Employee), Whitby, ONFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: meeting new people and new experiences
Cons: no breaks when working long hours
A typical day at work consists of Monday, Tuesday, and Friday where I work at lunch and dinner time. I come into work and organize all reservations, ensure the tables are all clean and set. As customers arrive for their meals I organize where to sit them according to what servers are set in what location of the restaurant.

Working for the restaurant I have learned about patience, customer service, and having to work in the retail industry. When working at a restaurant, during meal times, the restaurant becomes extremely busy and lineups can become extremely long. When this occurs, customers may complain and you are being asked to do several things at once. The only way to deal with these high demands is to have patience and be patient with the customers by explaining to them their situation and any problems that have arose. As well you need patience with the employees because everyone is running around at full force and asking everyone favours and workers become stressed when it is extremely busy, therefore you must be patient with your co-workers. Customer servive is key because without customer satisfaction, the business will not excel. You must ensure that the customer is satisfied and that you are doing everything you can to make things run smoothly in order to prevent customer dissatifaction. In the retail industry, management becomes your voice and therefore you must do what they say even in you do not necessarily agree with the decision they have made.

I have learned to work well with my co-workers by always being friendly and understanding when others need help or – more... are very busy. Stress level increases in the restaurant when it is extermely busy and therefore you must learn to forgive and forget because certain situations may cause anger, but when the rush is over, everyone forgets about the previous situation and we all begin to have fun and work together once again.

The hardest part of the job is when there is a waiting line at the door and we must organize large parties when all the tables are full. We have to sacrifice sitting a table when there is an empty one and wait for the table beside it to leave in order to sit the large party. This can cause customers to become frustrated and the larger parties to wait for long periods of time, but you have to offer alternatives while they are waiting and attempt to keep all customers calm and organized while at the door even when you have servers asking you for favours and managers demanding multiple tasks from you.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers tell you that you are doing a good job. When you connect with a family at the restaurant eating for dinner, they communicate with you and a lot of the time we joke between customers and have fun. For example: one table is right beside the door, therefore when we sit them they are always surprized and we usually say "sorry for the long walk". This gets the customers relaxed and already laughing. I love connecting with the customers because you always learn something new. – less
High Pace, Exciting and Fun Family Restaurant
Food and Beverage Server/Bartender (Former Employee), Sydney, NSSeptember 7, 2015
Pros: Great $$$, Good food, discounts on food while working, excellent training.
Cons: Long, unpredictable hours.
Working at East Side Mario's was some of the best days of my life. The staff was close knit, and the customers were awesome. It is important to realize that ESM is more high pace than most places, with its 'All you can eat' feature keeping you on your feet at all times. The opportunity to make extra cash tips was the best part about this job. It was extremely rewarding in other ways as well, making friends with the staff and regular customers. The hardest part of working here was the stress factor that comes along with any job in the Food and Beverage Industry.

Working at East Side Mario's taught me so much. Patience, excellent communication and customer service skills, how to deal with conflict, work in a fast pace environment, and much more. You work your way up in this job, starting as a Hostess to get the training down, and then usually having the opportunity to move up to Server or Bartender.

If you see a posting for East Side Mario's near you, and you're a hard working individual who likes the challenge of working in a fast pace place, while given the opportunity to make great money, apply!!
Repetitive, everyday workplace with many pros and cons.
Hostess/Server (Current Employee), Argyle Mall, London, OntarioJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: people, fun, half priced meals.
Cons: short hours, lack of care by others.
The most enjoyable part of working at Easy Side Mario's is how close everyone is. It is like being apart of a family, a home away from home. The most discouraging part about working there was the lack of care by others, laziness and/or poor management. A typical day at work can be fast-paced during specific hours of the day. During the non rush hours, I take the time to stock, clean and organize the inside and outside of the vicinity. I have learned a lot about people and working as a team there. When I work with a group of people that all work together and help each other, many hands make light work and the operation runs smoothly. I have also leaned that when the management doesn't step up and set a good example for the rest of the team, we all loose pride in what we do and loose interest in the job. I would really love to learn more, move on, work at a more professional environment. I loved it at East Side Mario's and my time there, bt it is time for me to move on.
Fun and enjoyable job with an amazing group of co-workers
Pizza/Salad Chef (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABMarch 11, 2015
Pros: great people, discounted food, free drinks, occasional free donuts
Cons: irregular working days
East Side Mario's is both staffed and managed by amazing people. Everyone there is like family; they all look after each other. I had two typical work day's: either I would start my day at 9 am as prep cook, where I would stalk all the food and supplies up for the day and make sure everything is in proportional sizes to make the lives of the chefs easier, or I would work as a pizza/salad chef. As a pizza/salad chef I would make pizza's and salads for the customers and make sure they were put out in a timely and presentable way. I learned how to manage my time in a high stress, fast paced environment as well as teamwork and organizational skills. The hardest part of working there would be getting the food out on time because sometimes our orders would get backed up and we would fall behind. The best part of working at East Side Mario's was definitely the people I was able to work with.
Fun Job for Students
Hostess (Former Employee), AllistonSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: half price food, good hours for a student
Cons: minimum wage, no advancement opportunities, understaffed
A typical day at work includes greeting, seating, and making sure the restaurant is tidy and guests are happy. I learned how to manage the general public and how to deal with unpleasant guests among all sorts of interesting restaurant jobs. Hosting is all about customer service. The supervisors here are very nice and will genuinely try to help you if you are overwhelmed. The coworkers are a mixed bag, as it is everywhere. There are the good and the bad. The hardest part of the job is being understaffed and all alone on a busy night where you have to choose to either greet guests at the door or clean tables so guests can sit down. It's hard to strike a balance when there's only one of you when there are many things to do. The most enjoyable part of hosting is making people smile and knowing that they had a good time and enjoyed their experience.
The only thing missing is more people to share the fun
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: Lovely atmosphere, friendly staff, very nice managers
Cons: Non-structured hours, lack of staffing
- Surprisingly easy to keep yourself busy, always something to do
- Keeping people happy is as simple as offering to help share the work or do something they don't want to, or sharing a compliment and maintaining the kid-friendly atmosphere
- I've learned more about communication and organization of thoughts than I have in any other area of my life
- Work is demanding but extremely rewarding, being able to create something that brings people warmth and joy
- The hardest part of this job is being able to keep your head on when it gets busy
- Management is friendly but strict, and always willing to help you out of a jam if you communicate enough with them
- A typical day involves hard work, heavy lifting, food preparation and cooking, and most importantly - sanitation and kitchen maintenance.
Fun, hard working and fast moving environment.
Hostess (Former Employee), Brockville, ONMarch 17, 2015
Pros: my hours were great, everyone who worked at eastside mario's was amazing, and i was able to work a schedule that made me better and stress free.
- I would get to work, walk up to the front where i stand, make sure the tables are set right and ready for poeple to sit for the waiters / waitresses. After helping anyone who needed help, and also seating people. When the custumers die down i would run and start off my cleaning duties, checking the bathroom, washing chairs, windows, Etc, and helping anyone who needed help. Before i would leave i would have to help any waiters / waitresses with running food or cleaning a table.
-i learned how to get along better as a family / team in a work environment, and how to deal with a stressful situation in a fast moving environment.
-I am still friends will all my co-workers even out of work.
-I loved my job !!!
restaurant
Host/Busser/Food runner/Dish washer/Server (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2015
Pros: serving: Tips(money)
Cons: labor accommodations
A typical day working at Eastside Marios is great, the staff is very friendly. I'm constantly learning new types of people skills, due to the fact that i deal with many different type of guests that come into the restaurant. The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with the common problem of insufficient materials needed to complete tasks when the restaurant gets busy, which is completely normal & alright but still stressful at times. On the flip side, the most enjoyable part of the job would be a tie between the interactions between all the staff & getting to interact with so many new people, which would be the guests. There are very interesting people in the world & i consider it an honor to have been able to meet as many as i have.
Great for gaining experience in the serving industry
Server/Bartender/Manager (Current Employee), Hunt Club, ONJanuary 22, 2016
A typical day at work is pretty normal actually. Come in for your shift 15 minutes early in case it is busy and you have to start right away, do your best to serve your guests while keeping up with the steps of service. Time management and multi-tasking are two things that you will learn very fast if you apply yourself when at work. Management and your co-workers are always there for you. Whether you're in school or full-time. They always try to make your life at work and outside of work as easy as possible. Great job for students! The hardest part of the job is not dealing with difficult guests, but actually the steps of service. They are very demanding, but once you got them down you're golden! I love having good feedback from my tables, it can make your night!
Good Food, Good People, Good Times.
Waitress (Former Employee), Alliston, OntarioDecember 7, 2012
Pros: great tips, and good food
Cons: long hours, can get very hectic/stressful
A typical day for me was steady, We would have alot of regulars on our lunch shift. However working on a evening shift or a UFC night was always hectic.
I learned to adapt quickly and be efficent in a fast paced environment ensuring customer satisfaction.
Management was ok at times. my co-workers were amazing team players, I do miss them all.
The hardest part of the job for me was one of my managers. He liked to yell... NO one likes that. so he was the hardest part of my job.
The most enjoyable part of my job...was meeting new people and interaction with customers. I enjoyed it most when they left happy and full
Laid back family restaurant with great community
SERVER (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: flexible scheduling, good beginning restaurant job, challenging, staff discount
Cons: occasional short staffing
East Side's was a great first serving job that was challenging at the same time. I have learned a lot at this job about the restaurant industry and about my abilities and ambitions as a server. The hardest part of the job was the trademark of the menu which meant frequent ordering and running of starters. Challenges include the high traffic in guests, and multiple responsibilities when staff was short in the back of house. The managers are helpful and appreciative, and the job itself is often rewarding.
Was like working for a family
Line cook (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: having free meals when we trained a new person and all the drinks we needed at no cost.
Cons: not always getting time off when you needed
A typical day at work was very busy with a bit of stress. what job dosen't have a bit of stress that come with it.
I learned that even if you make a mastake you can always go back and fix it. I also learned a happy coustomer is always a good one to have. The co-workers that i worked with made everyone that worked at east sides welcome. The hardest part of my job would had to have been when it was hot outside and then the heat of the kitchen. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with such a good team.
Overall View of the Restaurant
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Orleans, ONFebruary 9, 2013
Pros: no pros
Cons: terrible work environment, long hours, terrible organisation, bad management
It would not be an ideal starter job. Plus there is absolutely no organisation whatsoever. i had a hard time figuring out if i needed to work the next day. Another thing is i did not get a good vibe by the restaurant. They made me work overtime during my training week which gave me a bad impression of lack of employees. Overall it was not a fun experience, I would not recommend working here as a starter job unless people are very desperate for work.
Wouldn't work there again
Server/hostess (Former Employee), Collingwood,ONJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: lots of staff parties in the bar after shifts
The staff was pretty good, Managment was nice but completely unprofessional.
Long hours doing extras (or waiting around to work) at server salary-or on own time)
When slow for the season,, management looked for any reason to cut staff, in order to keep the long term staff busy...led to low morale, and the highest turnover I've ever seen.
Management unwilling to communicate.
Ridiculous amount of "suggestive selling" required, actually impacted customer satisfaction.
You never live the same day twice. Fast paced, energetic environment
Vice President, Operations (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: the staff, the energy, the sense of accomplishment after every day
Cons: life/work balance and long hours. you need to love the business
A great environment to work in. The staff are hard working and eager to be motivated.

The hardest part of the job is the work/life balance. There is always work to be done, and its hard to leave at times.

The best part however, is the pace. You always have something to do, always meeting new people. It's a great environment to be in.
Culinary Crew/Food preparation worker/Kitchen Helper
Culinary Crew/Food preparation worker/Dish help (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMay 29, 2014
Apart of the culinary team you're responsible for the overall cooking, its exciting to work at a fast pace but it can also be the hardest part of the job in itself.
The most enjoyable part of working in Culinary is the challenges you have to make, by remember each and every dish and knowing how to make and also be under the stress of a time limit.
But you learn that at the end of the day,you can look back and just see how much you accomplished.
Fun group of co-workers
Line Cook/ Trainer (Former Employee), kingston, onOctober 19, 2014
Pros: work with friends
Cons: dis-organized, low pay, no employee benefits, hours deducted from pay stub to save money.
everyday there was a complaint about staff from management...most of the time is was not relevant. the only thing that keeps people working here are the co-workers, the pay is dismal and benefits are yet to be seen. hardest part of the job was being blamed for stuff you have no control over simply because you the only one there at the time for management to vent to.
Good energy throughout the resturant
Hostess (Former Employee), MiltonJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: never know when your shift ends
Hosting - seating guests and busing tables, always on your feet and up and energetic. I gained more experience talking to customers and creating friendly relationships. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with dinner rush but once got organized things ran smoothly. The most enjoyable part of the job would be seeing the look on the customers face as they get greeted with friendly workers.
A vibrant, enthusiastic work environment
Server (Former Employee), Kingston, ONSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: sometimes free food
Cons: extremely long hours
- Typical day would include cleaning, serving 8-10 table sections during lunch and 4-8 table sections during the evening.
- I learned to multitask. Having to keep a close on on refilling soup salad and bread was a constant task that had to be done with every customer.
- Management was fairly good. Sometimes unfair environment
- Working with everyone and making new connections and friends
A Fantastic Place to Work
Kitchen staff (Current Employee), Orillia, ONJanuary 12, 2016
East Side Mario's was an excellent opportunity for me to expand my knowledge, work ethic, ability to work under pressure, and many more extremely important skills. The kitchen was an intense environment with hardly any down time. This taught me how to remain calm in stressful situations and has not only benefited my skills as a member of the kitchen staff but allowed me to grow and develop in ways transferable to almost any other job.