East Side Mario's Employee Reviews in Canada

Good people, busy place, demanding
Dish/line and cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 29, 2016
I found this to be a decent place to work. The only thing I can complain about is the lack of sympathy/empathy. I was working here when my mother passed away and I had an emergency eye surgery all in about 2 months time and I feel I didn't receive much support. Instead I was written up for missing time (being late) when I was very depressed. It may not be an excuse but my mother passed away and I was not thinking clearly, was late for my first shift back to work (a week after my mom passed) and I was written up.

They work well with you to get a schedule that works for you and there are a lot of employees if you need to change shifts for whatever reason.

They do reviews for each employee with a rating system out of 5, 5 being best. However they tell you straight up that they don't give out 5's ever, and if you don't get a 5, you can't get a raise... I found this very unfair.
Pros
scheduling, atmosphere
Cons
pay, opportunity for advancement and raises
Productive work place
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 5, 2016
• Provided excellent customer service while escorting customers to their tables and while taking food and drink orders, resulting in a large increase in positive feedback slips.
• Demonstrated strong organizational skills by keeping a clearly laid out waitlist at the front door, ensuring that the wait staff knew what needed to be done for the night to run smoothly.
• Responsible for keeping up with bussing tables and keeping the restaurant clean, resulting in reduced wait times for customers and faster turnover between customers.
• Enhanced the sales of daily specials and signature dishes through effective promotion.
Pros
Working with a lot of great people
Cons
Long hours on weekends
Fast Paced family style restaurant
Hostess and Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 28, 2016
I love working with people from different walks of life. There are no race, age, or LGBTQ barriers. And getting to know them is one of the best parts of the job. Management is just okay. They ask for a lot more than they are willing to give but on occasion will try to accommodate small requests by staff. (breaks during 12 hour shifts, pay for overtime and long weekends -time and a half...this is not referring to all locations) The hardest part of the job is dealing with irate customers who do not understand the flow of a restaurant on busy nights but can sometimes be easy to calm down. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I am good at what I do and have only gotten more confident in my abilities when given the chance to move to server. I have learned that working in a restaurant is one of the best jobs to have. It may get crazy at times but working with a team as driven as restaurant employees makes for a great work experience on the slow and busy days.
Pros
Free food (sometimes) and Cara discount cards
Cons
Long hours with no real breaks
Churn, Burn and Backstab - Budda Boom Budda Bing!
Lead - Food Preparations (Former Employee) –  London, ONDecember 17, 2015
Life/work balance is about the only decent thing I had for this because they give you so few hours you have all the time in the world to do your own thing. For a full-timer like I was, 28 hour weeks and an average shift length of 5.5 hours do not keep the lights on! Strike one.

Management will work you to death in those 5.5 hours, however... often you will do 8 hours of work in that time. For the fifth busiest location chain-wide across Canada that pulls in more than $10,000 in sales on an average weekend evening, shame on you! Clear case of cheap management skimping so they can pocket their bonuses at the expense of employees stressed beyond their physical and mental limits with no support whatsoever. Strike two.

And if you go above and beyond to demonstrate your worth to the company to move up, good luck to you! I was told "we can't afford to lose you in your section" while they promote some stooge externally with no clue how to manage the place. No raise to justify my effort and imposing a glass ceiling on an ambitious person... strike three.

You're out, ESM. Good riddance.
Pros
Half-off lunches and free time... because good luck getting hours!
Cons
Incompetent and lazy management
Strong and effective management
KITCHEN MANAGER/ASSISTANT FRONT END MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONFebruary 16, 2016
Working at Eastside Mario's has allowed me to exercise my management skills to lead, direct, and coach team members. Through mentoring and working under pressure I have guided staff to achieve excellent results while performing daily duties. The Eastside Mario's management team worked well together while encouraging each other to lead staff members through busy dinner rushes as well as team projects.The most enjoyable part of my job would be the times when I hire and train new staff. I find that the hardest part of a kitchen Managers role is when all employees are trained under different leaders. I have learned that it takes a strong leader who has effective communication skills, organization skills and dedication to actively perform my duties as Kitchen Manager.
Great for gaining experience in the serving industry
Server/Bartender/Manager (Current Employee) –  Hunt Club, ONJanuary 22, 2016
A typical day at work is pretty normal actually. Come in for your shift 15 minutes early in case it is busy and you have to start right away, do your best to serve your guests while keeping up with the steps of service. Time management and multi-tasking are two things that you will learn very fast if you apply yourself when at work. Management and your co-workers are always there for you. Whether you're in school or full-time. They always try to make your life at work and outside of work as easy as possible. Great job for students! The hardest part of the job is not dealing with difficult guests, but actually the steps of service. They are very demanding, but once you got them down you're golden! I love having good feedback from my tables, it can make your night!
Unprofessional Management
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 30, 2016
I was employed with East Side Mario's for three months while I was attending post-secondary at Fanshawe College. The work environment was welcoming; however, the management staff were not much help when it was a busy night, nor were they professional. I found that some of the management talked rudely to the staff and scheduled staff when they booked days off for school. The management seems to hire and fire quite often, and that is not professional.
Pros
Warm and welcoming staff and customers
Cons
Management, hours, and pay
The only thing missing is more people to share the fun
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 4, 2016
- Surprisingly easy to keep yourself busy, always something to do
- Keeping people happy is as simple as offering to help share the work or do something they don't want to, or sharing a compliment and maintaining the kid-friendly atmosphere
- I've learned more about communication and organization of thoughts than I have in any other area of my life
- Work is demanding but extremely rewarding, being able to create something that brings people warmth and joy
- The hardest part of this job is being able to keep your head on when it gets busy
- Management is friendly but strict, and always willing to help you out of a jam if you communicate enough with them
- A typical day involves hard work, heavy lifting, food preparation and cooking, and most importantly - sanitation and kitchen maintenance.
Pros
Lovely atmosphere, friendly staff, very nice managers
Cons
Non-structured hours, lack of staffing
good atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 31, 2016
I liked working here, it had a great atmosphere and I really loved all of the employees, management was really helpful and understanding and was always making sure everything was good at work and at home. The hardest part of the job was probably being there till 1am, I learned a lot about my self while I was there, as it was my first serving job, and I realized my love of customer service.
Pros
the employees
Cons
the drive to work
lots of fun
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Great Place to work
co workers are great
guests at times are difficult
Management is understanding to personal issues
varied work schedule
Fun and productive
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 5, 2016
How i would start my day is by portioning all the pasta then prep all the veggies for the lunch rush, then would go onto pizza salad and help out during the lunch rush. What would happen next is that i would go back and wash the dishes from the lunch rush, then i would prep the meat for the dinner rush after that i would clean up my station and leave.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
For the most part very friendly place to work and overall enjoyable staff to be around, very busy and kept me on my toes which I enjoyed.
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABJune 20, 2016
A typical day was about a 5 hour shift that was quite steady, I learned a lot about customer service and the job helped me become more confident and outgoing, I learned about food safety and alcohol safety. The management was very disorganized however and schedules were ver inconsistent and changed frequently. I did not find this job very difficult on a regular day it only got a little hard when we got very big rushes and hockey teams/ dance teams. Every part of this job was enjoyable, I love serving and will continue to love every aspect of it.
Pros
Discounts on food, friendly place, taught me a lot about serving.
Cons
Short shifts, disorganized management.
fun workplace with a lot of coworkers
Hostess/Expo (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 1, 2016
Since East Side Mario's was my first job and I did Co-op there, I learned how to be responsible, always be on time, make sure to be at work at least 15 min before my shift, make sure to call in if I am going to be late for whatever reason, make sure to call in at least 3 hours before my shift if sick or even more than 3 hours, and use my time wisely. In life we wont always get along with everyone, sometimes we might not like who we work with but i learned that no matter what, at work we have to deal with it somehow, and try to be nice to everyone and have respect for each other on the floor or even outside. One if the hardest job at the restaurant as a hostess was to find seating place and have everything under control on Friday nights, the waiting lists would be so long that people had to wait for more than 30 minutes.
Pros
Best tips
Cons
Too much work, did more than expected
Awful
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 24, 2016
DO NOT WORK HERE...
East Side Mario's is an awful place to work. They treat you with 0 respect, especially as a hostess. They give illegal shifts, make you work 8-10 hours with NO BREAK. They ding your pay which is obvious. As a hostess you are made to clean up all the tables and the servers BARLEY tip you, like 10$ every two weeks, maybe. This job very quickly taught me how to work under pressure and stay organized, as it's very busy on weekends and nights. The co workers are just... AWFUL. People are so mean to each other, constantly making them feel bad, nobody helps one another. In a restaurant setting, people need to work together. The management is just as bad, they will schedule when you have booked off time, and expect you to come in. They never schedule enough staff, so the service is soooooooooo bad. The place itself is nasty, it's dirty, no place for staff to put their things or to hang out on breaks, there is always dirty clothing and shoes laying around. Most of the appliances in the kitchen and in dish are broken!! The dishwasher has been broken since I started, and it's been about 6 months since I started at this location... With a broken dishwasher we have the whole back of the restaurant completely flooded in the middle of our busy shifts. I can't say there is any enjoyable part of this job, I used to love it in the Kitchener location, because the staff was great. I moved to Oakville and their location was way worse. Both are pretty bad, I would never recommend anyone working at ESM. Staff gets fired ILLEGALLY all the time. I watched a host get fired for 'having
  more... a big mouth' when she was the sweetest, and most obedient host we had. They fired her for no legal reason, and got away with it because she's young, and doesn't know her rights. They WILL take advantage of you.  less
Productive and Fun Workplace
Waitress/Bartender/Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONFebruary 8, 2016
I throughly enjoyed my experience working at East Side Mario's. i had the ability to receive 4 promotions, and i have experience is most front of the house abilities. (host, waitress, bartender, certified trainer). I am definitely a people person, and I love being able to be apart of a customers great experience within any restaurant.
East Side Mario's
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 11, 2016
East Side Mario's is great resturant to work at. My experince with East Side's I got to meet alot of nice people and was able to develope the basic knowledge of the resturant business. I would recommend this resturant to anybody.
Pros
nice peole to work with
Cons
it was fun working there
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONFebruary 24, 2016
the job was busy from the time i walked in till i walked out it was fun working there very nice people that work there long hours i wish i was still working there i liked it
Pros
got some free meals
Cons
Owner sucks, managers are nice
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ONApril 5, 2016
This is a pretty good place to work if you are young but if you have any experience then stay far far away.

Owner is very cheap -- will not pay you properly. Hours will be missing from your pay check… it is a known fact in the workplace. He will never introduce himself to you or thank you for anything. He will not complain to your face about you but get the managers to do his dirty work. He sees you as a dollar sign and nothing more. HOWEVER he is not there often and the managers are great.
Productive and Fun
Prep Cook and Salad Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2016
It was an amazing first job. The environment is friendly and encouraging. Very fast paced job once the customers start arriving, so you have to be quick and ready to work under pressure. Overall, its a great place to work at no doubt.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours and very fast paced
Fast Paced Fun environment
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 6, 2016
-Busy most days
-Learned how to multi task in a very fast paced environment
-Poor management made the job difficult
-The most enjoyable ;art of the job was the regular customers that visited.
Pros
Discounted food for employees
Cons
Lack of training for new employees