East Side Mario's Employee Reviews

A lot of children. And running around.
Server (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 December 2016
I enjoyed working at Eastside Mario's for a while, however the excessive salad, soup, and bread, combined with the sheer size of the store, resulted in a lot of running, literally, in order to make customers happy. After working at Eastside Mario's I had also came to the realization that, while I enjoy working with children in other settings (I also do children's facepainting as volunteer/freelance work), I was not particularly interested in being a server in an extremely kid-friendly restaurant. While the staff and management, and of course the actual menu, were awesome, I don't think it was the right fit for me.
decent place to work
Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON8 January 2017
start off by changing into uniform, put hair up, punch in your time when you started work, wash hands start making orders.
at the end of the shift i would clean up, prep for the morning shift for the other employee's

my typical day at East-side Marios was decent, i learned that team work was a big must have, i had to work fast and keep up with the orders especially when the hockey teams were in town.

all the co-workers were nice and supportive when one was having a hard time and would always help out.

the most enjoyable part of the job was getting all the orders complete when there was a big rush with no mistakes!
Pros
one free meal
Cons
manager took almost two weeks to tell me i was laid off due to business being slow (winter)
Put your serving skills and your singing to the test!
Restaurant Server (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON5 January 2017
A typical day at work is full of delicious smells, great people, and a quick working environment. Working at East Side Mario's, you must be sure you are able to multitask as there are a lot of things happening at once with unlimited soup, salad, and bread, it adds double the work to the typical serving of just drinks, apps, and meals. You must be able to prioritize and remain calm in a face-paced environment. This is not your typical serving job, it takes a special type of server who is able to serve above and beyond. It's also a no brainer that great customer service skills are an asset in this family friendly restaurant! Ay Budda Boom, Budda Bing!
Pros
50% off staff meals, Flexible schedule
Cons
Long hours on your feet, fast-paced work environment, stressful
Not enough Shifts
Host (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 November 2016
Had started a job here as a host in august and was being given 3 shifts week which was just enough to get by on but now 3 months later and i haven't been scheduled for a shift in 4 weeks, was told that there was error in the schedule but still no changes. Management was okay but would ask for unrealistic expectations. Not all too impressed and will defiantly not visit or work at a east side marios ever again.
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
work environment, training
High turnover rate.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON21 January 2017
Experienced co-workers are competent and professional, whereas the employees in training showed little or no interest, competency, or initiative. Like every restaurant, dinner rush is chaotic, but when there's no shows and multiple trainees, management for some odd reason felt they needed to 'cut labour' and have everyone do double or triple duties on a regular basis.
Pros
Free loaf and soup.
positive atmosphere
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 October 2016
Prepping food for the future, reservations and events. Days would include making pizza, salads and deserts for hungry customers. I learned about the proper storage of food and the high importance of proper sanitation in the work place. The management team was hard working and respected by the staff. The co-workers were well connected which made productivity smooth. Hardest part of the job was when unexpected amounts of people would enter the restaurant when staff was properly prepared. What I enjoyed most about this job was that it had a family like atmosphere, everyone was there to do the best they could do and be helpful at the same time.
Pros
any meal on the menu was discounted
Cons
difficult hours
Amazing advancement
Pizza/Salad/Line/Host (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON18 October 2016
Worked here for about a year, went from Dish pit, to Pizza Salad in a couple months, Then to Host and Line cook within a couple months after than. Wage went from $10 min wage in dish pit to $15 on line within a year. Trained new people for 14$/ hour.
People on line take too many smoke breaks, and rush times mean there are no breaks.
Tip out is given every other week (depending on your hours worked and how much waitresses give back) $2 minimum when i worked there. Which seemed like too much to most of the waitressing staff walking away with 60-100 on an average night.
At about 30h/week you'd get about $40 every 2 weeks in the kitchen. Hosting you'd get about $15-20/night
Pros
Free lunch if you pick up shifts. Good overtime, Managers were awesome, Great pay
Cons
Sometimes you get sent home early, Late shifts, Poor tip-out
Positives and negatives
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON19 September 2016
Although it isn't nice to give a bad review, I feel I should at least be open and honest. It wasn't a very good environment, some of the staff were fantastic while others were rather discourteous to others. Supervisor who initially hired me with an agreed upon time set off for me as I had previous commitments to attend, and once the time came decided he got the time he needed me to work out of the way and would not honor his end of the deal. I brought this up and was told if I do not come in, I was fired. So unfortunately I respectfully left that job, though I felt very betrayed.
Pros
Close to bus
Cons
Poor treatment
Literally the worst place I've ever worked
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 October 2016
I was promised max of three shift a week in interview because I am a full time student ended up being scheduled for 5 a week. Applied for prep cook position but it was really just a dishwasher and the put prep cook in ad to attract more people. went to my first shift , none of the mangers were arround to give me training or info about pay. I was given oversized chef pants that I constantly had to pull up throughout the night , I am a medium and they gave me extra large and I was never gaven a correct size .Told I would be done at 9 finished at 11. Constant bad attitude from the rest of the staff although I don't blame them after working under poor management for so long. I quit after a month of horrible management which sucked because the work was easy and I needed a job.
Pros
You will be thankful for any other job
Cons
Too many to list
Overall a good experience, if a bit rigid with regards to management
Server and Hostess (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 October 2016
It was like a big, happy, dysfunctional family, however management were a bit harsh. They made it very difficult to obtain any information, including the schedule, and were very harsh on employees who had very valid reasons for missing work.
Great server experience
Bartender and Server (Former Employee) –  Appleby, ON7 November 2016
The waterdown Keg was my last job and it was fantastic

Work philosophy with passionate management made the waterdown keg a great work experience.

Learned many valuable hospitality techniques from seasoned servers.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Slow compared to other locations
First O&B Restaurant
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON18 January 2017
• Monitored and anticipated guest needs, respond promptly and acknowledged all guests
• Remained aware of guest needs and provided guests with clean silverware, ice water, condiments and special requests
• Responsible for Running Food, clean and setup tables
Good JOb
Waitress & Bartender (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 January 2017
It has been a great job to help me throughout my schooing. They have always considered respecting that i was a student.Thankful for all the job has provided me with: Great experiences and skills to carry forward.
Pros
family setting
its meh
Assistant Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 January 2017
Good work, but not good if you plan to further yourself as a cook. It has stable hours, and long days if your into that. I would not recommend here if you plan to move up as a cook, you also get very little pay.
Pros
Cons
poor pay
Overall fun atmosphere with friendly employees
Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 June 2016
The staff all knows how to have a good time and is there for one another. Days can be long due to the high volume of large parties, usually hockey teams. Customers mostly come in to use a coupon they received in the mail or to check out the current promotion. Take out and deliveries also account for a large portion of business.
Pros
Half priced food, friendly staff
Cons
Low prices result in lower tips
fast paced enviroment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON28 November 2016
To work at east side marios you need to be able to quickly and efficiently handle change and disaster, and customers. Having a strong relationship with your team members is the key to a successful career here.
For the most part very friendly place to work and overall enjoyable staff to be around, very busy and kept me on my toes which I enjoyed.
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB20 June 2016
A typical day was about a 5 hour shift that was quite steady, I learned a lot about customer service and the job helped me become more confident and outgoing, I learned about food safety and alcohol safety. The management was very disorganized however and schedules were ver inconsistent and changed frequently. I did not find this job very difficult on a regular day it only got a little hard when we got very big rushes and hockey teams/ dance teams. Every part of this job was enjoyable, I love serving and will continue to love every aspect of it.
Pros
Discounts on food, friendly place, taught me a lot about serving.
Cons
Short shifts, disorganized management.
productive
Kitchen Staff (Dishwasher) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 September 2016
I learned how to keep the place sanitized and clean .
the most enjoyable part of the job are the people you work with.
what did i clean? i cleaned the dishwasher plates and pans garbage bins and the floor.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
not enough hours
Trash
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON21 October 2016
The job was trash. They expected me to work everyday plus keep my other job. I guessed they did this so they don't feel guilty of leaving me unemployed when they fire me but whatever.
Pros
Discount dinner
Great workplace
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 November 2016
Great teamwork and a lot of skills were learned. Exceptional place to start learning serving but am looking to grow from there. looking forward to growing elsewhere
good
Cons
limiting

2.9