East Side Mario's Employee Reviews in Canada

Overall fun atmosphere with friendly employees
Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 30, 2016
The staff all knows how to have a good time and is there for one another. Days can be long due to the high volume of large parties, usually hockey teams. Customers mostly come in to use a coupon they received in the mail or to check out the current promotion. Take out and deliveries also account for a large portion of business.
Pros
Half priced food, friendly staff
Cons
Low prices result in lower tips
For the most part very friendly place to work and overall enjoyable staff to be around, very busy and kept me on my toes which I enjoyed.
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABJune 20, 2016
A typical day was about a 5 hour shift that was quite steady, I learned a lot about customer service and the job helped me become more confident and outgoing, I learned about food safety and alcohol safety. The management was very disorganized however and schedules were ver inconsistent and changed frequently. I did not find this job very difficult on a regular day it only got a little hard when we got very big rushes and hockey teams/ dance teams. Every part of this job was enjoyable, I love serving and will continue to love every aspect of it.
Pros
Discounts on food, friendly place, taught me a lot about serving.
Cons
Short shifts, disorganized management.
Excellent place to learn and grow
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
A typical day at East Side Mario's involves lots of cooking, cleaning and prep work to ensure the days tasks are completed and even exceeded.

I learned many things while working there, all of which, helped me to grow and improve as a person. I learned how to work with others as a team and to manage tasks, while helping others to accomplish their's. Speaking with clients and customers in a professional and courteous manner.

How to manage stress and not let it effect the way I work.
fun enviornment
Dishwashing/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 29, 2016
Great working enviornment the workers were amazing along with the managers\. I learned how to interact with customers and to always have a positive attitude everyday at work. My coworkers were great some needed more help than others but just helps you to work with a team.Most enjoyable part was providing good service to the customers.
Owner sucks, managers are nice
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ONApril 5, 2016
This is a pretty good place to work if you are young but if you have any experience then stay far far away.

Owner is very cheap -- will not pay you properly. Hours will be missing from your pay check… it is a known fact in the workplace. He will never introduce himself to you or thank you for anything. He will not complain to your face about you but get the managers to do his dirty work. He sees you as a dollar sign and nothing more. HOWEVER he is not there often and the managers are great.
Productive work place
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 5, 2016
• Provided excellent customer service while escorting customers to their tables and while taking food and drink orders, resulting in a large increase in positive feedback slips.
• Demonstrated strong organizational skills by keeping a clearly laid out waitlist at the front door, ensuring that the wait staff knew what needed to be done for the night to run smoothly.
• Responsible for keeping up with bussing tables and keeping the restaurant clean, resulting in reduced wait times for customers and faster turnover between customers.
• Enhanced the sales of daily specials and signature dishes through effective promotion.
Pros
Working with a lot of great people
Cons
Long hours on weekends
Unprofessional Management
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 30, 2016
I was employed with East Side Mario's for three months while I was attending post-secondary at Fanshawe College. The work environment was welcoming; however, the management staff were not much help when it was a busy night, nor were they professional. I found that some of the management talked rudely to the staff and scheduled staff when they booked days off for school. The management seems to hire and fire quite often, and that is not professional.
Pros
Warm and welcoming staff and customers
Cons
Management, hours, and pay
fun workplace with a lot of coworkers
Hostess/Expo (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 1, 2016
Since East Side Mario's was my first job and I did Co-op there, I learned how to be responsible, always be on time, make sure to be at work at least 15 min before my shift, make sure to call in if I am going to be late for whatever reason, make sure to call in at least 3 hours before my shift if sick or even more than 3 hours, and use my time wisely. In life we wont always get along with everyone, sometimes we might not like who we work with but i learned that no matter what, at work we have to deal with it somehow, and try to be nice to everyone and have respect for each other on the floor or even outside. One if the hardest job at the restaurant as a hostess was to find seating place and have everything under control on Friday nights, the waiting lists would be so long that people had to wait for more than 30 minutes.
Pros
Best tips
Cons
Too much work, did more than expected
good atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 31, 2016
I liked working here, it had a great atmosphere and I really loved all of the employees, management was really helpful and understanding and was always making sure everything was good at work and at home. The hardest part of the job was probably being there till 1am, I learned a lot about my self while I was there, as it was my first serving job, and I realized my love of customer service.
Pros
the employees
Cons
the drive to work
Fun and productive
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 5, 2016
How i would start my day is by portioning all the pasta then prep all the veggies for the lunch rush, then would go onto pizza salad and help out during the lunch rush. What would happen next is that i would go back and wash the dishes from the lunch rush, then i would prep the meat for the dinner rush after that i would clean up my station and leave.
Pros
free lunches
Travail d'équipe, plaisir, productivité
Pizza man (Current Employee) –  Saint-Jérôme, QCMarch 4, 2016
Chaque jour j'apprends :

- À comprendre et s'entendre avec mes collègues
-Travailler à un bon rythme et de façon constante

Par contre, desfois les erreurs qui sont le résultats de tous les travailleur, un seul coupable est chercher pour lui attribuer le blâme.

Mon momment préféré est que j'ai le droit à une pizza ou un bon plat de pâtes à la fin de mon quart de travail !
Pros
Lunch Gratuit
Cons
Blâme pour erreurs communes
Busy, and fast working paced job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJuly 17, 2016
Working at East Side Marios was fun, it was a fast paced job and I loved it.
I feel I work better in fast paced environments.
Co-workers were all very friendly and showed me a lot about working at ESM.
The hardest part of the job was trying to do too much at once.
Home Away from Home
Waitressing (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2016
East side Mario's was my first real shot at serving and they really put a lot of time into training me which i appreciate. The flow of people was constant and unpredictable which made thinking on your feet a necessity to prevail. This is where i developed most of my professional social skills and had a lot of opportunity to practice. The hardest part of the job was the fast manic pace. The most enjoyable for me would also be the fast pace. It was difficult but very satisfying to think back on the shift, barely able to remember what happened, and everything still worked out.
Pros
Social aspect
Cons
Short hours
conection with the public
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONMarch 21, 2016
Welcoming and greeting costumers, suiting there needs that the restaurant has to offer upon their request. Finding and organising seating arrangements for costumers. Managing wait lists and keep costumers apprised of wait times as well as clearing and setting tables promptly to ensure restaurant always looks well kept.
Service with a smile
Bartender server (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONApril 13, 2016
Working at east side Mario's was a great serving experience. It empowered my multi tasking skills and provided me with a great opportunity to make tips and a competitive wage. the food was a great at a discount of 50% and the family atmosphere made it fun to go to work.
Pros
Great food at a discount.
Cons
N/A
Good people, busy place, demanding
Dish/line and cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 29, 2016
I found this to be a decent place to work. The only thing I can complain about is the lack of sympathy/empathy. I was working here when my mother passed away and I had an emergency eye surgery all in about 2 months time and I feel I didn't receive much support. Instead I was written up for missing time (being late) when I was very depressed. It may not be an excuse but my mother passed away and I was not thinking clearly, was late for my first shift back to work (a week after my mom passed) and I was written up.

They work well with you to get a schedule that works for you and there are a lot of employees if you need to change shifts for whatever reason.

They do reviews for each employee with a rating system out of 5, 5 being best. However they tell you straight up that they don't give out 5's ever, and if you don't get a 5, you can't get a raise... I found this very unfair.
Pros
scheduling, atmosphere
Cons
pay, opportunity for advancement and raises
People are great, not the best place to work.
Dishwasher, (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 13, 2016
While working you are only provided a 15 minute break on a 8-9 hour shift. the people that are working there usually make it better tho and try and make the time go by faster.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long hours no breaks
Strong and effective management
KITCHEN MANAGER/ASSISTANT FRONT END MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONFebruary 16, 2016
Working at Eastside Mario's has allowed me to exercise my management skills to lead, direct, and coach team members. Through mentoring and working under pressure I have guided staff to achieve excellent results while performing daily duties. The Eastside Mario's management team worked well together while encouraging each other to lead staff members through busy dinner rushes as well as team projects.The most enjoyable part of my job would be the times when I hire and train new staff. I find that the hardest part of a kitchen Managers role is when all employees are trained under different leaders. I have learned that it takes a strong leader who has effective communication skills, organization skills and dedication to actively perform my duties as Kitchen Manager.
dishwasher and pizza salad cook
Food Prep/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON and kitcnener location as wellMay 28, 2016
a day at work was the same doing dishes and making pizza and salads and doing prep, some of the managers were nice, the co workers were ok, i really enjoyed making pizza and salads
Pros
learned new things
Cons
favortism
Productive and Fun Workplace
Waitress/Bartender/Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONFebruary 8, 2016
I throughly enjoyed my experience working at East Side Mario's. i had the ability to receive 4 promotions, and i have experience is most front of the house abilities. (host, waitress, bartender, certified trainer). I am definitely a people person, and I love being able to be apart of a customers great experience within any restaurant.

2.9