East Side Mario's Employee Reviews

Great Job for Students
Server/ Expo (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON18 May 2017
I got to work at East Side Mario's in Peterborough while studying at university and it was really great. I loved each and every single one of my co-workers, and my GM's were fun and energetic, always making sure that everything was running smoothly and efficiently. They created a really great working environment, and were happy to accommodate for school/ exam conflicts. Even when we were extremely busy, it was always manageable because we had a great team assembled. I was always in for a fun day at work.
Pros
Discounted meals for staff, guaranteed hours, great starting point for service career
Typical day at work
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 May 2017
I loved working at ESM. I got good hours and it was really like working with your family. It is a high paced busy restaurant so you need to be on top of your game for the all you can eat, bread, soup and salad!!!
Pros
50 percent food discount
Cons
all you can eat, bread, soup, salad
Challenging and Fun
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON10 May 2017
Learning the different positions and how they inter-relate to the whole output of the requested meals, is very challenging. When all is running smoothly and the team is functioning as a whole there is no better experience.
Fun and fast paced workplace, with free food and beverages as a work perc
Dishwasher/Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 May 2017
For people with asthma, this job isn't recommended as I found myself in a lot of situations where if I stopped working, I would get piled up with way too many dishes then closing the restaurant would take forever. However, all the people are friendly and the food is great
Pros
Free beverages and food whenever offered
Cons
Fast paced work with a lot on non-stop shifts
Abandon all hope ye who enter here
Server (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 May 2017
Worked at the Windsor location. The nepotistic attitude expressed by management was both despicable and off putting. Bullying of staff by management was also quite upsetting to witness.
Pros
Money not bad
Great Job
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 May 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job was working with others to get the job complete. The hours were flexible and the co-workers were friendly and helpful. The least enjoyable thing about the job was the constant pile of dishes coming through the kitchen, there was no feeling of completion as dishes were always in motion.
Pros
friendly co-workers, hours were flexible
Cons
wet clothes, very crowded change room
Very nice people
Hostess/Expo (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2017
The people I work with at East Side Mario's are very friendly. They are understanding when someone cannot come into work and they are pretty flexible if someone has a commitment and cannot find someone to take a shift.
Everybody helps each other and the managers try to get to know the staff.
Negative Environment - No Management
BARTENDER, SERVER (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 May 2017
Schedule isn't out till Sunday night every week.
Shifts constantly canceled last minute.
Major turnover makes working difficult with always having more new staff than senior.
Missing tip outs by supervisors.
Dash and dine scams by G.M.
Drug use by almost all kitchen staff slowing down speed of service.
productive and fast paste workplace environment
Part-time - Hostess (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON29 April 2017
My typical work day includes greet customer, take them to them to appropriate table, and clear, clean, and set tables. I've learned how to work in a team, use time wisely, work fast while doing things the correct way. Management changed constantly but soon settled on someone who managed the team accordingly. Working in a team was not hard for me to learn. Many of my co-workers were very friendly and were easy to talk to. the hardest part of this job was dealing with rude customers on a busy night, it was not easy to deal with as I was trying my hardest to get things done fast while costumers were yelling at me. To every con there is a pro, the most enjoyable part this job was defiantly meeting new people and creating memories with my co-workers.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Rude costumers
Miserable owners
Food Prep/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 April 2017
The owners have an attitude that makes everyone not want to be there. They constantly complain to management which will then lead to them yelling at the workers, therefore not making them not want to be there. A lot of the staff are constantly compiling about everything. Not trying to bash the company, but its the truth after working there for 5 years.
Pros
free food
Cons
everyone is miserable there, not fun to be around the people.
Fast paced and high stressed!
Expo, Host, Takeout (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB20 April 2017
You have to remember lunch and dinner rushes, that's where they make their money! You have to be quick and smooth, or else if you mess up it's a domino affect, so sometimes it's very hectic but the staff is good at keeping organzied
Pros
strong staff
Cons
mean staff
Fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 April 2017
I much preferred hosting/take out over serving, but that was mainly because of the unlimited soup/salad and bread. It was very hard to keep on top of a bunch of tables who constantly needed refills.
Overall this was a good place to work, I only quit because I had another job and I was a student and it was just becoming too much.
The management that was there at the time that I was is no longer there, but they were fantastic and always had your back especially when it came to rude customers.
Fun to work, great staff
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON11 April 2017
East sides is a good place to work if your a student and only looking for a part time position,they work around you so if your in school or are only looking for 1/2 shifts a week this job will work for you
Pros
50% off menu
Cons
Not enough hours
Working with family
Waiter/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 April 2017
A typical day at East Side Mario's consists of stress, problem solving, multitasking, long hours, and no breaks. Doesn't sound like a job most would enjoy, right? For me, it has been the best job I could ever ask for. I have met people and gained relationships I don't think I could live without. Aside from the guests, the management team is almost too good to be true. Friendly, understanding, helpful, caring, but most importantly loyal. The hardest part of the job as I previously stated is the hours. Working from 4pm-1am with no break takes its toll on your body and lifestyle. It isn't a job for everyone, but for those in the industry it is the holy grail of restaurants. With nearly 40 staff members from the kitchen to the front of house, nearly 75% have been working there for over a decade.
Pros
Tips, half price food, guest relationships.
Cons
long and late hours, constantly on your feet, no breaks (unless you smoke), demanding guests.
Fun workplace, however very demanding.
Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 April 2017
Learned how to manage time efficiently, and quickly adapt to changing environments. A lot of multi-tasking skills were developed. Coworkers can be a pain, however one learns to deal with it. Job security was not there, and getting the desired shifts are very difficult.
good
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 April 2017
best team to work with them. they give me a good hour and everyone talk very nicely.I learned to work as a team. the most enjoyable part is fave some fun in working time.
Fun and outgoing workplace
seating hostess, takeout (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 March 2017
I have worked at East Side Mario's for a year as a host and I had a wonderful experience. I loved the staff and the restaurant itself. I was often in charge of setting up the restaurant and I worked as the main seating hostess.
Pros
good with hours
Cons
very stressful
Fun place
Kitchen supervisor, Line cook, Host, Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB30 March 2017
when it was open it was a great place to work in town. working here was one of the best jobs I have ever had made a lot of friend had a great time made money and learned a lot.
Great Staff
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON28 March 2017
Fast paced environment most days but the staff there is great in assisting new comers. Shifts don't have an end time though and sometimes you will only be there for a couple hours.
Worked There for a Co-op
Food assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 March 2017
I learned how to properly handle food , and the other basic things you learn in the food service. Having worked at East Side I got another job in the food service industry..
Pros
Co- workers were Interactable
Cons
long tiring hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Side Mario's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9