East Side Mario's Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun productive
Kitchen Help Co-op student (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 13, 2016
Everyone there was nice and helpful when you needed help they would help

The people there made it really fun and the team was easy to get a long with
Good place to work and meet new people
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABMay 8, 2016
Working with co-workers,meeting new people,making new friends,great place to work,learning new things and been around people.
Good people, great advancement opportunity, stellar job
Sous Chef, Prep Chef (Former Employee) –  387 Wellington Road S, and 3079 Wonderland Rd SMay 5, 2016
My experience at East Side Marios was a pleasant one for sure. Even during the fast paced and often frantic rushes, my team and I managed to keep things from getting chaotic or unorganized. My usual day at work varied depending on the station I was on. Usually I was in Prep making food for the whole day. It was a large responsibility and often I had to modify my quantity numbers on the fly which I became adept at. If I was working on the line it was a much more fast paced environment which required focus, a calm head, and swift cooking skills. My managers changed a few times over the years but I had a great rapport with all of them, the same can be said of my co-workers. Those co-workers who were always there came to trust me to do my part and we built a strong team for getting through lunch and dinner rushes. The most difficult part of the job was staying focused during a busy dinner rush, while maintaining speed and quality of product. My most enjoyable aspect of the job was the moment after a busy rush or a long day of prep where I could look at the work I had done and be proud.
Pros
Great people, food discounts, life skills, kitchen skills
Cons
The kitchen would often get quite hot in the summer
Busy and fun environment
Hostess / Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 2, 2016
A typical day at East Side Mario's is normally either a steady or fast pace, depending on whether it is a lunch or dinner shift that I am working, it also varies on whether or not I am on the floor working as a hostess or a server because these jobs are different and require individual skills for each. It consists of interacting with all types of customers. Some interactions being pleasant and some not so pleasant, which is to be expected in this line of work. There is always a way to stay busy. Working here I learned how to work as apart of a team in order to keep a steady flow to the restaurant. As well as, learning how to speak to customers in an appropriate manner. At this point in time the management could be better, there are issues in the restaurant that are stemmed from the management, affecting the way people work, and the overall mood/atmosphere of the restaurant. The co-workers is the best aspect of this job, the people are amazing and there is a sense of community among the workers. The hardest part is adapting to the extra step of the All-you-can-eat soup or salad. It adds extra steps that can limit the amount of tables you are able to take, but at the end of the night, it is all worth it. Aside from the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job like I previously said is being around the people that I work with, they are what make the job enjoyable.
fun workplace with a lot of coworkers
Hostess/Expo (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 1, 2016
Since East Side Mario's was my first job and I did Co-op there, I learned how to be responsible, always be on time, make sure to be at work at least 15 min before my shift, make sure to call in if I am going to be late for whatever reason, make sure to call in at least 3 hours before my shift if sick or even more than 3 hours, and use my time wisely. In life we wont always get along with everyone, sometimes we might not like who we work with but i learned that no matter what, at work we have to deal with it somehow, and try to be nice to everyone and have respect for each other on the floor or even outside. One if the hardest job at the restaurant as a hostess was to find seating place and have everything under control on Friday nights, the waiting lists would be so long that people had to wait for more than 30 minutes.
Pros
Best tips
Cons
Too much work, did more than expected
Excellent place to learn and grow
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
A typical day at East Side Mario's involves lots of cooking, cleaning and prep work to ensure the days tasks are completed and even exceeded.

I learned many things while working there, all of which, helped me to grow and improve as a person. I learned how to work with others as a team and to manage tasks, while helping others to accomplish their's. Speaking with clients and customers in a professional and courteous manner.

How to manage stress and not let it effect the way I work.
Very Nice place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
Really decent location, clean interior, and very friendly staff. . Nothing at all to complain about. Would recommended for some Italian-ish food and for special occasion
Pros
Huge Tip
Service with a smile
Bartender server (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONApril 13, 2016
Working at east side Mario's was a great serving experience. It empowered my multi tasking skills and provided me with a great opportunity to make tips and a competitive wage. the food was a great at a discount of 50% and the family atmosphere made it fun to go to work.
Pros
Great food at a discount.
Cons
N/A
Owner sucks, managers are nice
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ONApril 5, 2016
This is a pretty good place to work if you are young but if you have any experience then stay far far away.

Owner is very cheap -- will not pay you properly. Hours will be missing from your pay check… it is a known fact in the workplace. He will never introduce himself to you or thank you for anything. He will not complain to your face about you but get the managers to do his dirty work. He sees you as a dollar sign and nothing more. HOWEVER he is not there often and the managers are great.
Productive work place
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 5, 2016
• Provided excellent customer service while escorting customers to their tables and while taking food and drink orders, resulting in a large increase in positive feedback slips.
• Demonstrated strong organizational skills by keeping a clearly laid out waitlist at the front door, ensuring that the wait staff knew what needed to be done for the night to run smoothly.
• Responsible for keeping up with bussing tables and keeping the restaurant clean, resulting in reduced wait times for customers and faster turnover between customers.
• Enhanced the sales of daily specials and signature dishes through effective promotion.
Pros
Working with a lot of great people
Cons
Long hours on weekends
Fun and productive
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 5, 2016
How i would start my day is by portioning all the pasta then prep all the veggies for the lunch rush, then would go onto pizza salad and help out during the lunch rush. What would happen next is that i would go back and wash the dishes from the lunch rush, then i would prep the meat for the dinner rush after that i would clean up my station and leave.
Pros
free lunches
Fun up beat
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONApril 2, 2016
I loved working at East Side Marios. Very upbeat environment, loved the people I worked with. Enjoyed my job, the hours. Always very busy and on your feet!
good atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 31, 2016
I liked working here, it had a great atmosphere and I really loved all of the employees, management was really helpful and understanding and was always making sure everything was good at work and at home. The hardest part of the job was probably being there till 1am, I learned a lot about my self while I was there, as it was my first serving job, and I realized my love of customer service.
Pros
the employees
Cons
the drive to work
Unprofessional Management
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 30, 2016
I was employed with East Side Mario's for three months while I was attending post-secondary at Fanshawe College. The work environment was welcoming; however, the management staff were not much help when it was a busy night, nor were they professional. I found that some of the management talked rudely to the staff and scheduled staff when they booked days off for school. The management seems to hire and fire quite often, and that is not professional.
Pros
Warm and welcoming staff and customers
Cons
Management, hours, and pay
Good people, busy place, demanding
Dish/line and cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 29, 2016
I found this to be a decent place to work. The only thing I can complain about is the lack of sympathy/empathy. I was working here when my mother passed away and I had an emergency eye surgery all in about 2 months time and I feel I didn't receive much support. Instead I was written up for missing time (being late) when I was very depressed. It may not be an excuse but my mother passed away and I was not thinking clearly, was late for my first shift back to work (a week after my mom passed) and I was written up.

They work well with you to get a schedule that works for you and there are a lot of employees if you need to change shifts for whatever reason.

They do reviews for each employee with a rating system out of 5, 5 being best. However they tell you straight up that they don't give out 5's ever, and if you don't get a 5, you can't get a raise... I found this very unfair.
Pros
scheduling, atmosphere
Cons
pay, opportunity for advancement and raises
Fast Paced family style restaurant
Hostess and Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 28, 2016
I love working with people from different walks of life. There are no race, age, or LGBTQ barriers. And getting to know them is one of the best parts of the job. Management is just okay. They ask for a lot more than they are willing to give but on occasion will try to accommodate small requests by staff. (breaks during 12 hour shifts, pay for overtime and long weekends -time and a half...this is not referring to all locations) The hardest part of the job is dealing with irate customers who do not understand the flow of a restaurant on busy nights but can sometimes be easy to calm down. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I am good at what I do and have only gotten more confident in my abilities when given the chance to move to server. I have learned that working in a restaurant is one of the best jobs to have. It may get crazy at times but working with a team as driven as restaurant employees makes for a great work experience on the slow and busy days.
Pros
Free food (sometimes) and Cara discount cards
Cons
Long hours with no real breaks
conection with the public
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONMarch 21, 2016
Welcoming and greeting costumers, suiting there needs that the restaurant has to offer upon their request. Finding and organising seating arrangements for costumers. Managing wait lists and keep costumers apprised of wait times as well as clearing and setting tables promptly to ensure restaurant always looks well kept.
East Side Mario's
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 11, 2016
East Side Mario's is great resturant to work at. My experince with East Side's I got to meet alot of nice people and was able to develope the basic knowledge of the resturant business. I would recommend this resturant to anybody.
Pros
nice peole to work with
Travail d'équipe, plaisir, productivité
Pizza man (Current Employee) –  Saint-Jérôme, QCMarch 4, 2016
Chaque jour j'apprends :

- À comprendre et s'entendre avec mes collègues
-Travailler à un bon rythme et de façon constante

Par contre, desfois les erreurs qui sont le résultats de tous les travailleur, un seul coupable est chercher pour lui attribuer le blâme.

Mon momment préféré est que j'ai le droit à une pizza ou un bon plat de pâtes à la fin de mon quart de travail !
Pros
Lunch Gratuit
Cons
Blâme pour erreurs communes
Home Away from Home
Waitressing (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2016
East side Mario's was my first real shot at serving and they really put a lot of time into training me which i appreciate. The flow of people was constant and unpredictable which made thinking on your feet a necessity to prevail. This is where i developed most of my professional social skills and had a lot of opportunity to practice. The hardest part of the job was the fast manic pace. The most enjoyable for me would also be the fast pace. It was difficult but very satisfying to think back on the shift, barely able to remember what happened, and everything still worked out.
Pros
Social aspect
Cons
Short hours