East Side Mario's Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent place to learn and grow
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
A typical day at East Side Mario's involves lots of cooking, cleaning and prep work to ensure the days tasks are completed and even exceeded.

I learned many things while working there, all of which, helped me to grow and improve as a person. I learned how to work with others as a team and to manage tasks, while helping others to accomplish their's. Speaking with clients and customers in a professional and courteous manner.

How to manage stress and not let it effect the way I work.
Very Nice place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2016
Really decent location, clean interior, and very friendly staff. . Nothing at all to complain about. Would recommended for some Italian-ish food and for special occasion
Pros
Huge Tip
Service with a smile
Bartender server (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONApril 13, 2016
Working at east side Mario's was a great serving experience. It empowered my multi tasking skills and provided me with a great opportunity to make tips and a competitive wage. the food was a great at a discount of 50% and the family atmosphere made it fun to go to work.
Pros
Great food at a discount.
Cons
N/A
Owner sucks, managers are nice
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ONApril 5, 2016
This is a pretty good place to work if you are young but if you have any experience then stay far far away.

Owner is very cheap -- will not pay you properly. Hours will be missing from your pay check… it is a known fact in the workplace. He will never introduce himself to you or thank you for anything. He will not complain to your face about you but get the managers to do his dirty work. He sees you as a dollar sign and nothing more. HOWEVER he is not there often and the managers are great.
Productive work place
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 5, 2016
• Provided excellent customer service while escorting customers to their tables and while taking food and drink orders, resulting in a large increase in positive feedback slips.
• Demonstrated strong organizational skills by keeping a clearly laid out waitlist at the front door, ensuring that the wait staff knew what needed to be done for the night to run smoothly.
• Responsible for keeping up with bussing tables and keeping the restaurant clean, resulting in reduced wait times for customers and faster turnover between customers.
• Enhanced the sales of daily specials and signature dishes through effective promotion.
Pros
Working with a lot of great people
Cons
Long hours on weekends
Fun and productive
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 5, 2016
How i would start my day is by portioning all the pasta then prep all the veggies for the lunch rush, then would go onto pizza salad and help out during the lunch rush. What would happen next is that i would go back and wash the dishes from the lunch rush, then i would prep the meat for the dinner rush after that i would clean up my station and leave.
Pros
free lunches
Fun up beat
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONApril 2, 2016
I loved working at East Side Marios. Very upbeat environment, loved the people I worked with. Enjoyed my job, the hours. Always very busy and on your feet!
good atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 31, 2016
I liked working here, it had a great atmosphere and I really loved all of the employees, management was really helpful and understanding and was always making sure everything was good at work and at home. The hardest part of the job was probably being there till 1am, I learned a lot about my self while I was there, as it was my first serving job, and I realized my love of customer service.
Pros
the employees
Cons
the drive to work
Unprofessional Management
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 30, 2016
I was employed with East Side Mario's for three months while I was attending post-secondary at Fanshawe College. The work environment was welcoming; however, the management staff were not much help when it was a busy night, nor were they professional. I found that some of the management talked rudely to the staff and scheduled staff when they booked days off for school. The management seems to hire and fire quite often, and that is not professional.
Pros
Warm and welcoming staff and customers
Cons
Management, hours, and pay
Good people, busy place, demanding
Dish/line and cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 29, 2016
I found this to be a decent place to work. The only thing I can complain about is the lack of sympathy/empathy. I was working here when my mother passed away and I had an emergency eye surgery all in about 2 months time and I feel I didn't receive much support. Instead I was written up for missing time (being late) when I was very depressed. It may not be an excuse but my mother passed away and I was not thinking clearly, was late for my first shift back to work (a week after my mom passed) and I was written up.

They work well with you to get a schedule that works for you and there are a lot of employees if you need to change shifts for whatever reason.

They do reviews for each employee with a rating system out of 5, 5 being best. However they tell you straight up that they don't give out 5's ever, and if you don't get a 5, you can't get a raise... I found this very unfair.
Pros
scheduling, atmosphere
Cons
pay, opportunity for advancement and raises
Fast Paced family style restaurant
Hostess and Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 28, 2016
I love working with people from different walks of life. There are no race, age, or LGBTQ barriers. And getting to know them is one of the best parts of the job. Management is just okay. They ask for a lot more than they are willing to give but on occasion will try to accommodate small requests by staff. (breaks during 12 hour shifts, pay for overtime and long weekends -time and a half...this is not referring to all locations) The hardest part of the job is dealing with irate customers who do not understand the flow of a restaurant on busy nights but can sometimes be easy to calm down. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I am good at what I do and have only gotten more confident in my abilities when given the chance to move to server. I have learned that working in a restaurant is one of the best jobs to have. It may get crazy at times but working with a team as driven as restaurant employees makes for a great work experience on the slow and busy days.
Pros
Free food (sometimes) and Cara discount cards
Cons
Long hours with no real breaks
conection with the public
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONMarch 21, 2016
Welcoming and greeting costumers, suiting there needs that the restaurant has to offer upon their request. Finding and organising seating arrangements for costumers. Managing wait lists and keep costumers apprised of wait times as well as clearing and setting tables promptly to ensure restaurant always looks well kept.
East Side Mario's
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 11, 2016
East Side Mario's is great resturant to work at. My experince with East Side's I got to meet alot of nice people and was able to develope the basic knowledge of the resturant business. I would recommend this resturant to anybody.
Pros
nice peole to work with
Travail d'équipe, plaisir, productivité
Pizza man (Current Employee) –  Saint-Jérôme, QCMarch 4, 2016
Chaque jour j'apprends :

- À comprendre et s'entendre avec mes collègues
-Travailler à un bon rythme et de façon constante

Par contre, desfois les erreurs qui sont le résultats de tous les travailleur, un seul coupable est chercher pour lui attribuer le blâme.

Mon momment préféré est que j'ai le droit à une pizza ou un bon plat de pâtes à la fin de mon quart de travail !
Pros
Lunch Gratuit
Cons
Blâme pour erreurs communes
Home Away from Home
Waitressing (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2016
East side Mario's was my first real shot at serving and they really put a lot of time into training me which i appreciate. The flow of people was constant and unpredictable which made thinking on your feet a necessity to prevail. This is where i developed most of my professional social skills and had a lot of opportunity to practice. The hardest part of the job was the fast manic pace. The most enjoyable for me would also be the fast pace. It was difficult but very satisfying to think back on the shift, barely able to remember what happened, and everything still worked out.
Pros
Social aspect
Cons
Short hours
Excellent place to work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONFebruary 28, 2016
I loved the job it was a great environment with amazing people.

Fast paced always busy.

Closing was always hard for me due to personal reasons.
Pros
50% discount on days worked.
Cons
not enough hours.
it was fun working there
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONFebruary 24, 2016
the job was busy from the time i walked in till i walked out it was fun working there very nice people that work there long hours i wish i was still working there i liked it
Pros
got some free meals
Awful
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 24, 2016
DO NOT WORK HERE...
East Side Mario's is an awful place to work. They treat you with 0 respect, especially as a hostess. They give illegal shifts, make you work 8-10 hours with NO BREAK. They ding your pay which is obvious. As a hostess you are made to clean up all the tables and the servers BARLEY tip you, like 10$ every two weeks, maybe. This job very quickly taught me how to work under pressure and stay organized, as it's very busy on weekends and nights. The co workers are just... AWFUL. People are so mean to each other, constantly making them feel bad, nobody helps one another. In a restaurant setting, people need to work together. The management is just as bad, they will schedule when you have booked off time, and expect you to come in. They never schedule enough staff, so the service is soooooooooo bad. The place itself is nasty, it's dirty, no place for staff to put their things or to hang out on breaks, there is always dirty clothing and shoes laying around. Most of the appliances in the kitchen and in dish are broken!! The dishwasher has been broken since I started, and it's been about 6 months since I started at this location... With a broken dishwasher we have the whole back of the restaurant completely flooded in the middle of our busy shifts. I can't say there is any enjoyable part of this job, I used to love it in the Kitchener location, because the staff was great. I moved to Oakville and their location was way worse. Both are pretty bad, I would never recommend anyone working at ESM. Staff gets fired ILLEGALLY all the time. I watched a host get fired for 'having
  more... a big mouth' when she was the sweetest, and most obedient host we had. They fired her for no legal reason, and got away with it because she's young, and doesn't know her rights. They WILL take advantage of you.  less
Strong and effective management
KITCHEN MANAGER/ASSISTANT FRONT END MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONFebruary 16, 2016
Working at Eastside Mario's has allowed me to exercise my management skills to lead, direct, and coach team members. Through mentoring and working under pressure I have guided staff to achieve excellent results while performing daily duties. The Eastside Mario's management team worked well together while encouraging each other to lead staff members through busy dinner rushes as well as team projects.The most enjoyable part of my job would be the times when I hire and train new staff. I find that the hardest part of a kitchen Managers role is when all employees are trained under different leaders. I have learned that it takes a strong leader who has effective communication skills, organization skills and dedication to actively perform my duties as Kitchen Manager.
Work Environment
Dishwasher and Pizza/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 13, 2016
Friendly work staff with a management that attends to the needs of both customers and employees. There are flexible hours to accommodated student employees.
Pros
Free Drinks, 50% discount on food purchases
Cons
No discount on deserts