East Side Mario's Employee Reviews

Amazing workplace
Food Prep /Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 March 2017
East side marios sits high on a pedestal above other places. They are a clean, fair, and advantageous work place with lots of benefits
Pros
free meals and drinks
fun workplace environment
Host (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 February 2017
East Side Marios is a very fun and friendly place to work at, though at the same time it can be intense at certain moments! everyone there is very kind and helpful and they will be able to help out on anything that you may have questions about! the management team there is a very helpful and negotiable with any questions or concerns you may have! one of the things that are enjoyable about east sides are the people that you get to work with!
Pros
good hours, great management team and really good food as well as tip out
Cons
sometimes long hours
Put your serving skills and your singing to the test!
Restaurant Server (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON5 January 2017
A typical day at work is full of delicious smells, great people, and a quick working environment. Working at East Side Mario's, you must be sure you are able to multitask as there are a lot of things happening at once with unlimited soup, salad, and bread, it adds double the work to the typical serving of just drinks, apps, and meals. You must be able to prioritize and remain calm in a face-paced environment. This is not your typical serving job, it takes a special type of server who is able to serve above and beyond. It's also a no brainer that great customer service skills are an asset in this family friendly restaurant! Ay Budda Boom, Budda Bing!
Pros
50% off staff meals, Flexible schedule
Cons
Long hours on your feet, fast-paced work environment, stressful
its meh
Assistant Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 January 2017
Good work, but not good if you plan to further yourself as a cook. It has stable hours, and long days if your into that. I would not recommend here if you plan to move up as a cook, you also get very little pay.
Pros
Cons
poor pay
Good people, busy place, demanding
Dish/line and cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 March 2016
I found this to be a decent place to work. The only thing I can complain about is the lack of sympathy/empathy. I was working here when my mother passed away and I had an emergency eye surgery all in about 2 months time and I feel I didn't receive much support. Instead I was written up for missing time (being late) when I was very depressed. It may not be an excuse but my mother passed away and I was not thinking clearly, was late for my first shift back to work (a week after my mom passed) and I was written up.

They work well with you to get a schedule that works for you and there are a lot of employees if you need to change shifts for whatever reason.

They do reviews for each employee with a rating system out of 5, 5 being best. However they tell you straight up that they don't give out 5's ever, and if you don't get a 5, you can't get a raise... I found this very unfair.
Pros
scheduling, atmosphere
Cons
pay, opportunity for advancement and raises
pretty good place to work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 March 2017
there is lots to learn on the job which makes things exciting. the staff is like a big family and management is pretty good. the menu changes yearly which keeps things from being boring
Pros
staff discounts, fun staff, down to earth management team
Cons
long hours, min wage, late night walk ins
A lot of children. And running around.
Server (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 December 2016
I enjoyed working at Eastside Mario's for a while, however the excessive salad, soup, and bread, combined with the sheer size of the store, resulted in a lot of running, literally, in order to make customers happy. After working at Eastside Mario's I had also came to the realization that, while I enjoy working with children in other settings (I also do children's facepainting as volunteer/freelance work), I was not particularly interested in being a server in an extremely kid-friendly restaurant. While the staff and management, and of course the actual menu, were awesome, I don't think it was the right fit for me.
Literally the worst place I've ever worked
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 October 2016
I was promised max of three shift a week in interview because I am a full time student ended up being scheduled for 5 a week. Applied for prep cook position but it was really just a dishwasher and the put prep cook in ad to attract more people. went to my first shift , none of the mangers were arround to give me training or info about pay. I was given oversized chef pants that I constantly had to pull up throughout the night , I am a medium and they gave me extra large and I was never gaven a correct size .Told I would be done at 9 finished at 11. Constant bad attitude from the rest of the staff although I don't blame them after working under poor management for so long. I quit after a month of horrible management which sucked because the work was easy and I needed a job.
Pros
You will be thankful for any other job
Cons
Too many to list
positive atmosphere
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 October 2016
Prepping food for the future, reservations and events. Days would include making pizza, salads and deserts for hungry customers. I learned about the proper storage of food and the high importance of proper sanitation in the work place. The management team was hard working and respected by the staff. The co-workers were well connected which made productivity smooth. Hardest part of the job was when unexpected amounts of people would enter the restaurant when staff was properly prepared. What I enjoyed most about this job was that it had a family like atmosphere, everyone was there to do the best they could do and be helpful at the same time.
Pros
any meal on the menu was discounted
Cons
difficult hours
Great place to start off
Server (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB28 February 2017
East side mario's was my first serving job (as it is for many servers). They like to hire people with no experience so they can mold you in to what they want. They worked with me as far as hours went and the training is close to perfect. They will not send you on that floor till you know your stuff. I loved the management when I worked there.
Pros
Training, money, management
Cons
Sections can be a bit on the large side, the unlimited soup, salad and bread (you will run)
decent place to work
Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON8 January 2017
start off by changing into uniform, put hair up, punch in your time when you started work, wash hands start making orders.
at the end of the shift i would clean up, prep for the morning shift for the other employee's

my typical day at East-side Marios was decent, i learned that team work was a big must have, i had to work fast and keep up with the orders especially when the hockey teams were in town.

all the co-workers were nice and supportive when one was having a hard time and would always help out.

the most enjoyable part of the job was getting all the orders complete when there was a big rush with no mistakes!
Pros
one free meal
Cons
manager took almost two weeks to tell me i was laid off due to business being slow (winter)
My work at East Side Marios
WAITRESSING (Current Employee) –  135 gateway park dr8 February 2017
Esm is a fast paced enviroment its starts off slow then picks up rather fast. Ive learned to deal with all sorts of differenent situations that some that require an easy fix and others that have to be dealt with deescalting people that are not very happy and resolving the situation fast to have people leave happy. The atmosphere is great and people that i work with are fun and outgoing. The hardest part of my job is when i have to tell my customers we are out of something and them be upset and the most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co workers and giving a helpful hand when needed.
Pros
having a flexable schedule
Cons
working everyweekend
Was very great working there and being apart of their team
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB16 February 2017
It was a lot of fun working at East Side Mario's and being apart of their team. I made lots of friends and I got free lunches sometimes and I also got to enjoy the experience with working with people.
Pros
Fun working with people
corrupt
Manager, bartender, server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 January 2017
a lot of drug and alcohol abuse on sight, not interested in that. the staff are out of control, and head office is very corrupt. a man died in the middle of our dining room and head office insisted that we keep working rather than close the store.
Pros
food discounts
Cons
long hours, staff out of control
High turnover rate.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON21 January 2017
Experienced co-workers are competent and professional, whereas the employees in training showed little or no interest, competency, or initiative. Like every restaurant, dinner rush is chaotic, but when there's no shows and multiple trainees, management for some odd reason felt they needed to 'cut labour' and have everyone do double or triple duties on a regular basis.
Pros
Free loaf and soup.
Positives and negatives
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON19 September 2016
Although it isn't nice to give a bad review, I feel I should at least be open and honest. It wasn't a very good environment, some of the staff were fantastic while others were rather discourteous to others. Supervisor who initially hired me with an agreed upon time set off for me as I had previous commitments to attend, and once the time came decided he got the time he needed me to work out of the way and would not honor his end of the deal. I brought this up and was told if I do not come in, I was fired. So unfortunately I respectfully left that job, though I felt very betrayed.
Pros
Close to bus
Cons
Poor treatment
Good JOb
Waitress & Bartender (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 January 2017
It has been a great job to help me throughout my schooing. They have always considered respecting that i was a student.Thankful for all the job has provided me with: Great experiences and skills to carry forward.
Pros
family setting
Not enough Shifts
Host (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 November 2016
Had started a job here as a host in august and was being given 3 shifts week which was just enough to get by on but now 3 months later and i haven't been scheduled for a shift in 4 weeks, was told that there was error in the schedule but still no changes. Management was okay but would ask for unrealistic expectations. Not all too impressed and will defiantly not visit or work at a east side marios ever again.
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
work environment, training
Amazing advancement
Pizza/Salad/Line/Host (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON18 October 2016
Worked here for about a year, went from Dish pit, to Pizza Salad in a couple months, Then to Host and Line cook within a couple months after than. Wage went from $10 min wage in dish pit to $15 on line within a year. Trained new people for 14$/ hour.
People on line take too many smoke breaks, and rush times mean there are no breaks.
Tip out is given every other week (depending on your hours worked and how much waitresses give back) $2 minimum when i worked there. Which seemed like too much to most of the waitressing staff walking away with 60-100 on an average night.
At about 30h/week you'd get about $40 every 2 weeks in the kitchen. Hosting you'd get about $15-20/night
Pros
Free lunch if you pick up shifts. Good overtime, Managers were awesome, Great pay
Cons
Sometimes you get sent home early, Late shifts, Poor tip-out
Hostess/Take (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON2 February 2017
This restaurant was a nice place to work at but it was a tough ride. The first few months i was there they were still trying to build a better name so the labor costs were pretty high which meant we had less hours. With the new management they are more organized and have become a better place to work at.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Side Mario's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9