East Side Mario's Employee Reviews

Literally the worst place I've ever worked
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 October 2016
I was promised max of three shift a week in interview because I am a full time student ended up being scheduled for 5 a week. Applied for prep cook position but it was really just a dishwasher and the put prep cook in ad to attract more people. went to my first shift , none of the mangers were arround to give me training or info about pay. I was given oversized chef pants that I constantly had to pull up throughout the night , I am a medium and they gave me extra large and I was never gaven a correct size .Told I would be done at 9 finished at 11. Constant bad attitude from the rest of the staff although I don't blame them after working under poor management for so long. I quit after a month of horrible management which sucked because the work was easy and I needed a job.
Pros
You will be thankful for any other job
Cons
Too many to list
positive atmosphere
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 October 2016
Prepping food for the future, reservations and events. Days would include making pizza, salads and deserts for hungry customers. I learned about the proper storage of food and the high importance of proper sanitation in the work place. The management team was hard working and respected by the staff. The co-workers were well connected which made productivity smooth. Hardest part of the job was when unexpected amounts of people would enter the restaurant when staff was properly prepared. What I enjoyed most about this job was that it had a family like atmosphere, everyone was there to do the best they could do and be helpful at the same time.
Pros
any meal on the menu was discounted
Cons
difficult hours
Productive work place
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 April 2016
• Provided excellent customer service while escorting customers to their tables and while taking food and drink orders, resulting in a large increase in positive feedback slips.
• Demonstrated strong organizational skills by keeping a clearly laid out waitlist at the front door, ensuring that the wait staff knew what needed to be done for the night to run smoothly.
• Responsible for keeping up with bussing tables and keeping the restaurant clean, resulting in reduced wait times for customers and faster turnover between customers.
• Enhanced the sales of daily specials and signature dishes through effective promotion.
Pros
Working with a lot of great people
Cons
Long hours on weekends
Positives and negatives
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON19 September 2016
Although it isn't nice to give a bad review, I feel I should at least be open and honest. It wasn't a very good environment, some of the staff were fantastic while others were rather discourteous to others. Supervisor who initially hired me with an agreed upon time set off for me as I had previous commitments to attend, and once the time came decided he got the time he needed me to work out of the way and would not honor his end of the deal. I brought this up and was told if I do not come in, I was fired. So unfortunately I respectfully left that job, though I felt very betrayed.
Pros
Close to bus
Cons
Poor treatment
Good people, busy place, demanding
Dish/line and cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 March 2016
I found this to be a decent place to work. The only thing I can complain about is the lack of sympathy/empathy. I was working here when my mother passed away and I had an emergency eye surgery all in about 2 months time and I feel I didn't receive much support. Instead I was written up for missing time (being late) when I was very depressed. It may not be an excuse but my mother passed away and I was not thinking clearly, was late for my first shift back to work (a week after my mom passed) and I was written up.

They work well with you to get a schedule that works for you and there are a lot of employees if you need to change shifts for whatever reason.

They do reviews for each employee with a rating system out of 5, 5 being best. However they tell you straight up that they don't give out 5's ever, and if you don't get a 5, you can't get a raise... I found this very unfair.
Pros
scheduling, atmosphere
Cons
pay, opportunity for advancement and raises
Fast Paced family style restaurant
Hostess and Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 March 2016
I love working with people from different walks of life. There are no race, age, or LGBTQ barriers. And getting to know them is one of the best parts of the job. Management is just okay. They ask for a lot more than they are willing to give but on occasion will try to accommodate small requests by staff. (breaks during 12 hour shifts, pay for overtime and long weekends -time and a half...this is not referring to all locations) The hardest part of the job is dealing with irate customers who do not understand the flow of a restaurant on busy nights but can sometimes be easy to calm down. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I am good at what I do and have only gotten more confident in my abilities when given the chance to move to server. I have learned that working in a restaurant is one of the best jobs to have. It may get crazy at times but working with a team as driven as restaurant employees makes for a great work experience on the slow and busy days.
Pros
Free food (sometimes) and Cara discount cards
Cons
Long hours with no real breaks
For the most part very friendly place to work and overall enjoyable staff to be around, very busy and kept me on my toes which I enjoyed.
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB20 June 2016
A typical day was about a 5 hour shift that was quite steady, I learned a lot about customer service and the job helped me become more confident and outgoing, I learned about food safety and alcohol safety. The management was very disorganized however and schedules were ver inconsistent and changed frequently. I did not find this job very difficult on a regular day it only got a little hard when we got very big rushes and hockey teams/ dance teams. Every part of this job was enjoyable, I love serving and will continue to love every aspect of it.
Pros
Discounts on food, friendly place, taught me a lot about serving.
Cons
Short shifts, disorganized management.
Not enough Shifts
Host (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 November 2016
Had started a job here as a host in august and was being given 3 shifts week which was just enough to get by on but now 3 months later and i haven't been scheduled for a shift in 4 weeks, was told that there was error in the schedule but still no changes. Management was okay but would ask for unrealistic expectations. Not all too impressed and will defiantly not visit or work at a east side marios ever again.
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
work environment, training
Great server experience
Bartender and Server (Former Employee) –  Appleby, ON7 November 2016
The waterdown Keg was my last job and it was fantastic

Work philosophy with passionate management made the waterdown keg a great work experience.

Learned many valuable hospitality techniques from seasoned servers.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Slow compared to other locations
Overall a good experience, if a bit rigid with regards to management
Server and Hostess (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 October 2016
It was like a big, happy, dysfunctional family, however management were a bit harsh. They made it very difficult to obtain any information, including the schedule, and were very harsh on employees who had very valid reasons for missing work.
Amazing advancement
Pizza/Salad/Line/Host (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON18 October 2016
Worked here for about a year, went from Dish pit, to Pizza Salad in a couple months, Then to Host and Line cook within a couple months after than. Wage went from $10 min wage in dish pit to $15 on line within a year. Trained new people for 14$/ hour.
People on line take too many smoke breaks, and rush times mean there are no breaks.
Tip out is given every other week (depending on your hours worked and how much waitresses give back) $2 minimum when i worked there. Which seemed like too much to most of the waitressing staff walking away with 60-100 on an average night.
At about 30h/week you'd get about $40 every 2 weeks in the kitchen. Hosting you'd get about $15-20/night
Pros
Free lunch if you pick up shifts. Good overtime, Managers were awesome, Great pay
Cons
Sometimes you get sent home early, Late shifts, Poor tip-out
Great work environment
Waitress/Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 September 2016
Fun and supportive workplace. Was able to feel comfortable to be myself because of how supportive my team were. Management was understanding and always motivating the team.
Overall fun atmosphere with friendly employees
Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 June 2016
The staff all knows how to have a good time and is there for one another. Days can be long due to the high volume of large parties, usually hockey teams. Customers mostly come in to use a coupon they received in the mail or to check out the current promotion. Take out and deliveries also account for a large portion of business.
Pros
Half priced food, friendly staff
Cons
Low prices result in lower tips
Churn, Burn and Backstab - Budda Boom Budda Bing!
Lead - Food Preparations (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 December 2015
Life/work balance is about the only decent thing I had for this because they give you so few hours you have all the time in the world to do your own thing. For a full-timer like I was, 28 hour weeks and an average shift length of 5.5 hours do not keep the lights on! Strike one.

Management will work you to death in those 5.5 hours, however... often you will do 8 hours of work in that time. For the fifth busiest location chain-wide across Canada that pulls in more than $10,000 in sales on an average weekend evening, shame on you! Clear case of cheap management skimping so they can pocket their bonuses at the expense of employees stressed beyond their physical and mental limits with no support whatsoever. Strike two.

And if you go above and beyond to demonstrate your worth to the company to move up, good luck to you! I was told "we can't afford to lose you in your section" while they promote some stooge externally with no clue how to manage the place. No raise to justify my effort and imposing a glass ceiling on an ambitious person... strike three.

You're out, ESM. Good riddance.
Pros
Half-off lunches and free time... because good luck getting hours!
Cons
Incompetent and lazy management
Great Place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON23 November 2016
Perfected the art of multi-tasking with the All you can eat bread, soup and salad. This job kept me on my feet and has taught me a lot. Management and coworkers were great!
Esm
Head Hostess (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB27 September 2016
Was an awesome time working at ESM, although the owner went bankrupt and i lost my job. Overall the experience was awesome, very fast paced and fun.
Pros
great teammates
Fun workplace
Line Cook/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON6 September 2016
It was a good working environment, management was great. Fellow employees made working long shifts easier and less stressful. The time I spent was greatly enjoyable.
Strong and effective management
KITCHEN MANAGER/ASSISTANT FRONT END MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON16 February 2016
Working at Eastside Mario's has allowed me to exercise my management skills to lead, direct, and coach team members. Through mentoring and working under pressure I have guided staff to achieve excellent results while performing daily duties. The Eastside Mario's management team worked well together while encouraging each other to lead staff members through busy dinner rushes as well as team projects.The most enjoyable part of my job would be the times when I hire and train new staff. I find that the hardest part of a kitchen Managers role is when all employees are trained under different leaders. I have learned that it takes a strong leader who has effective communication skills, organization skills and dedication to actively perform my duties as Kitchen Manager.
Unprofessional Management
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 March 2016
I was employed with East Side Mario's for three months while I was attending post-secondary at Fanshawe College. The work environment was welcoming; however, the management staff were not much help when it was a busy night, nor were they professional. I found that some of the management talked rudely to the staff and scheduled staff when they booked days off for school. The management seems to hire and fire quite often, and that is not professional.
Pros
Warm and welcoming staff and customers
Cons
Management, hours, and pay
People are great, not the best place to work.
Dishwasher, (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 June 2016
While working you are only provided a 15 minute break on a 8-9 hour shift. the people that are working there usually make it better tho and try and make the time go by faster.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long hours no breaks

2.9