East Side Mario's Employee Reviews

not a good place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  London15 January 2018
staff is rude. employers are rude.
kitchen is dirty
bugs in food
dish pit was a puddle. not safe for working in. very slipery
not enough parking
not welcoming
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 January 2018
Absolutely loved working here. It was my first job ever and it really shaped the kind of employee that I am today: reliable and fun to be around. I think everything depends on who you're surrounded by though.
Loved meeting new people
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB9 January 2018
I worked at East Side Mario's while I was in my senior year of high school but I knew I would have needed more hours. I enjoyed all of my colleagues. It was perfect for my first job.
Pros
Free lunches
Dont work here.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 January 2018
Both Oshawa locations. Terrible hours, open to close with huge breaks in between. Sometimes as much as 4 hour breaks between shifts. Poor wages. Came in with years of experience and even management experience and still was only given minimum wage. They will constantly try to make you cut corners, and will demean you in front of staff and guests.
Pros
Cons
5 to 6 day weeks getting 30 hours or less. Low wages. High drama. Gross conditions.
Productive Workplace
Server and Bartender (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2018
East Side Mario's is an okay work place. The food is great, the service is amazing, but the management, is not so great. Being a server/bartender on busy nights when you're busy not only making drinks for the entire restaurant as well as serving people at your bar and in your section, I have noticed management hides in their office with the door closed and locked. Busy nights we need management out on the floor, in the bar helping. A simple anything you need me to grab. I have been yelled at for things that I have no control over on other servers tables, but I get blamed on. I have worked in other restaurants where the management and the staff have been nothing but amazing to work with. I use to enjoy going to work on daily basis, but with my current job I dread it.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Poor Managment
Server and Bartender (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 January 2018
Good place to work for those who are looking for part-time to full-time jobs, fun family atmosphere focused on guest satisfaction and food quality. Great management team
Dont Care
Waitress/Bartender/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 January 2018
The East Side Marios I worked at didn't care about their customers, or their staff, the pay minimal wth no raises and expect you to run around the entire shift (much more work than any other restaurant. Cant keep up with volume of food, or staff appropriately when you know its going to be busy.
Pros
High Volume( can be good tips)
Cons
Everything else everything
Warm, comforting and friendly environment
Server /Hostess/ Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON8 January 2018
Friendly and loving staff, positive yet professional work atmosphere. I learned how to comfortably interact with customers without feeling timid, this job helped me be more confident in talking to people and learning how to work under pressure in a high paced environment.
Pros
Meeting friendly staff
Cons
Short shifts
Great Workplace
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 January 2018
I have been given the opportunity to manage the operations of three different East side Mario's over the years. I have had the freedom to train and develop the team I needed to be successful. I have found it to be a very rewarding opportunity.
Pros
Control of Business operations
Cons
Long Hours
tough but fun
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2018
Had fun working for East Side Mario, never got mad but they shut down just a few month after i started working there. owner wasnt the best with everyone.
Pros
free drinks and bread
Fast-paced workplace with fun, friendly staff
Server (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON5 January 2018
East Side Mario's was typically a great place to work. Management and staff were fun and friendly. It was a great business for me to begin as a server. The steady, fast-pace environment forced me to learn or expand on a variety of skills including my ability to multi-task, communicate with guests, stay on track and organized, while delivering exceptional dining experiences for all my guests. I enjoyed interacting with guests as well as my fellow staff members, and took pride in exceeding guests expectations.
Pros
Fun, friendly working environment. Great food.
Cons
Large Parties (sports teams)
good workplace to gain more experience
Host/Busser (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 January 2018
It was a good family style restaurant. I learned more about how the FOH is different from BOH. I learned more about how to greet and welcome guest and how sometimes it is difficult when there is a long waiting list on the door.
Pros
Food prices were staffed
Cons
not very long hours
Inexperienced kitchen staff
Server / Bartender (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON3 January 2018
Good servers help to add value to any restaurant but good servers are not as important as good food. People come to a restaurant to eat good food and the servers are there to enhance the experience. The kitchen staff can not turn out orders
Pros
half off food
Cons
back of house people
poor advancement
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 January 2018
Nothing but broken promises from management.Hard work and loyalty got me no were.10 months in no evaluation and no raise or benefits.Was told by management sorry go find a better paying job else were...
Pros
Great co workets
Cons
Poor.mansgement
Its a solid job
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 December 2017
Tough stores to run because of the all you can eat, but good work culture. Like most restaurants its tough to balance work with family time. All in all its a good place to work
Friendly work environment with great staff
BUSSER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2017
A typical shift at East Side Mario's was always busy (considering I worked evening shifts). I learned a lot about how presentation plays a big role in making good impressions. The hardest part of the job was dealing with how crowded the back dish room would get and all the spills that would occur because there was such little space to move around. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all the different customers enjoying the service and all the amazing staff I got to interact with.
Pros
Discounted dinners
Cons
Schedule instability
Very boring linear work days
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 December 2017
Very very poor management at my location which led to hectic and often late work nights sometimes as late as 2am (where i would get clocked off and not paid for the last 30-45 minutes of my workday because of the poor unorganized management at my location) and no chance to move up in the company,
Worked as a Dishwasher
Dishwasher, Prep. Cook (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 November 2017
This was an entry level position part time while I was going to High School. The pay was minimum wage, and the work was busy. Good entry job with fast paced work.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Dirty, long hours without breaks
Productive, fun, busy
Dishwasher/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 November 2017
It was a great place to work and learn.
The consistency of the food was great.
No drama between the staff.
Management made sure the employees were working and doing their job but at the same time cared enough to give days off if required.
meh
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC23 November 2017
Owner wasnt a good manager. Hard to make a decent wage. I expected more benefits, hours and regulars upon starting employment with them. Disappointed in quality care
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
horrible management