Established in 1979 and currently experiencing double-digit growth, East Penn Canada sells lead acid batteries to the automotive, industrial motive power and stationary back up power supply markets. Through our Head Office located in Ajax, Ontario, we operate 14 distribution locations across Canada.
The company has a long history of recognizing and rewarding employees through internal promotions and a very competitive remuneration package.
Senior IT Architect
Summary of Role
Reporting to the Director, Information Technology, the Senior IT Architect’s role is to develop, implement and maintain the design of the overall logical and technical IT architecture. This individual will provide technical leadership and consulting across the organization, from strategic decision making down to the project planning and implementation level. The Senior IT Architect will gain organizational commitment for all high-level infrastructure plans, and initiate and participate in projects to evaluate technologies and methods for implementing these plans.
Planning & Governance
- Document and develop in-depth knowledge of company’s existing IT
architecture/infrastructure, and technology portfolio.
- Develop, document, communicate, and enforce a technology standards policy.
- Conduct research on emerging technologies in support of infrastructure development efforts, and recommend technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and infrastructure flexibility.
- Establish and implement policies, procedures, and technologies to ensure server security.
- Assist in designing and implementing data center / server room features including security, HVAC control, environmental alarms, and backup power.
- Design, develop, and implement end-to-end integrated systems.
- Develop and execute test plans to check infrastructure and systems technical performance. Report on findings and make recommendations for improvement.
- Work with Director of IT to develop comprehensive Disaster Recovery Plan (DRP.)
- Ensure infrastructure plans are aligned with company’s strategic business plans.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Oversee installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of end user workstation hardware, software, and peripheral devices.
- Interact with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors with regard to network products and services.
- Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards in support of network procurement and development efforts.
- Collaborate with end users and senior management to define business requirements for complex systems development and gain buy-in for all infrastructure plans.
- Review new and existing IT projects, systems designs, and procurement/outsourcing plans for compliance with IT standards and architectural plans.
- Provide complete support and management of all servers (physical/virtual), including upgrades, maintenance fixes, and vendor-supplied patches.
- Maintain and manage all network architecture including LAN, WAN, VPN, security, firewalls, routers, switches, and wireless 802.11.
- Manage enterprise directory services (Active Directory) and supporting server infrastructure.
- Practice network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform network and server improvements, upgrades, and repairs.
- Perform database administration (DBA) management for all platforms (Microsoft SQL Server 2000 – 2012) supporting all applications.
- Provide guidance to junior members of the team and level 2 support for service desk requests.
Formal Education & Certification
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science, information systems, or computer engineering.
- Certifications in TOGAF, COBIT, ITIL, and/or PMP preferred.
Knowledge & Experience
- 10+ years’ work experience in progressively senior roles.
- Hands-on experience with business requirements gathering/analysis.
- Proven experience in systems design and development.
- Strong understanding of information processing principles and practices.
- Solid grounding in core enterprise applications, including ERP (Epicor), WMS (ROC), BI (MicroStrategy), CRM (Salesforce.com), and E-mail (Exchange 2010).
- In-depth technical knowledge of network, storage, server, workstation, tablet, and smartphone operating systems, including Cisco IOS, Windows 2008, Apple iOS, and Blackberry 10.
- Experience installing, configuring, and maintaining all manners of server hardware and associated equipment, including Blade Centers, SAN fiber switches and backup hardware.
- Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards.
- Strong knowledge of hardware and software evaluation principles and practice.
- Proven project planning and management experience.
- Good knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
- EDI experience an asset.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent technical architecture and technical support documentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal and consultative skills.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Environment is quiet and comfortable.
- On-call availability for after-hours rotation.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers, devices, and peripherals.
- Occasional inspection of cables under desks, and in floors and ceilings.
- Mental stress is relative to producing accurate work, meeting deadlines, and responding to urgent requests.
Indeed - 13 months ago
copy to clipboard
East Penn Canada’s roots are firmly entrenched within the Automotive Aftermarket; since 1979 we’ve been providing our customers...