EAST METRO YOUTH SERVICES Employee Reviews

They hire internally first
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 November 2017
Dont bother applying from externally, because its their policy to hire internally first, so even if your expertise is exceptional, they'll hire internally.

Theres very little office space and you work from a cubicle which makes for a stressful work enviro.

The pay is not enough.

Don't waste your time applying here.
Active and lively workplace
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON22 July 2017
Typical day consisted of lively chats and engaging plans to achieve tasks and work load.
Workload was very easy to balance with daily social life.
Overall would greatly recommend EMYS and it's services for students to achieve sales and marketing skills over temporary periods of time.
Pros
Free programs and services
Cons
Needs a more active staff and open hours
Awesome workplace
Volunteer - Newcomer Youth Program (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2017
Help out new comers and teach them about the things we do in Canada. Help them in finding a job and build there resumes. Do fun activities with them and make them engage.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
productive and fun workplace with a pooltable
VOLUNTEER & PREXPERIENCE (Former Employee) –  1200 markham rd ave east5 August 2015
On a regular day I would go in and sign in then join a group of other members to brainstorm some idea's of what we can do to help out in the community. almost every time I went In I learned something new like how to make the best out of an situation, but for the most part the work that was given more times wasn't hard their were a lot of easy task. The hardest part of the job would probably be coming up with idea's on how to make our community a better place but with more than one individual dishing out idea's on that topic it made things a lot easier and for the most enjoyable part of the job I'd have to say lunch time when we all take a brake from everything and talk about things going on in our personal life such as school and other recent events that we might have attended.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
to much travelling around the city
helping the youth
Youth Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2015
This was a fun job. I helped at risk youth. I created presentations it was fun.I learned that not all kids are the same when it comes to understanding why there are a certain way because they come from all types of home settings that effect the way they are. The managers were sometimes invasive.They would try into my private life but i wasn't harmful in anyway. My co workers were awesome. The hardest part of the job was public speaking because i was scared too speak in public at the time. The most enjoyable part was reaching a kid and having them understand that gang violence and violence in a whole is not the answer to anything it just begets more violence.
Pros
reaching a young person and teaching them.
Cons
It was only for 6 months
An excellent government program dedicated to helping the community and citizens
Temporary accounts payable (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, Ontario28 January 2015
Processing the bills from individual programs along with the head office. The job requires constant knowledge of the budget allowance as well as awareness of signing authorities for each program.

The co-workers are very approachable and welcoming to newcomers. Financial department helps me quickly adapt to the position and any process that's required.

Hardest part of the job was the intense workload in the first couple of days while trying to adapt to the program's process as well as systems.

Most enjoyable part of the job was atmosphere and culture of the organization.
Pros
Freedom of lunch periods along with sociable atmosphere
Cons
Not too many opportunities to further finance or accounting positions within the program
Enjoyed working with youth
Youth Employment Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 June 2014
Best part about this job was my supervisor and when the youth got their first pay cheque.
Being a youth assistant
Youth Worker & Mentor/Editor & Chief (Current Employee) –  scarborough,ON3 December 2013
A typical day at work would have to a meeting to construct a plan to engage the youth to do positive activities, what i learned from working as a youth assistant is that many people are concerned about the well being of their child but if the child is not properly groomed to receive information they will find themselves looking to other people than their parents. my co-workers where absolutely the the best they would push me to be the best at work, the hardest part of the job was to maintain my cool when it comes to being in a work place filled with people who didn't understand what the mentality of a youth is. The most enjoyable part of the job was being my self and interacting with the youth
Pros
being able to be myself..
Cons
having limitatiions
Great, friendly place to work!
Child and Youth Worker- Relief (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2012
Working at East Metro has been one of the greatest experiences in my child and youth worker career thus far. The people I work with are friendly, helpful, very skilled in their field, and extremely welcoming. I have learned a lot so far and am looking forward to learning more from this wonderful agency. I think so far the hardest part of this job is that I am only a relief staff, so I do not get to work on a regular basis with this agency. My most enjoyable part of the job is the staff I work with and the youth I come into contact with in the classroom; they make it so enjoyable to go to work.
Excellent Youth services provided by caring employees
Administrative/Access Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 April 2012
Greeting and registering clients for Walk-In Clinc. Compiling stats and prepared access resources for weekly reports. Co-workers are very approachable, always willing to lend a hand in order to meet needs and requirements.