Reports to: Most Responsible Doctor
Job Purpose: To support doctors in clinic operations and in delivering patient care. All work should be delivered to standards and procedures established in procedure manual or otherwise requested by the doctors.
· Provide personal nursing care to patients in accordance with administrative policies, physician's orders, established standards and recognized nursing principles as directed by the Director.
· In conjunction with the medical team, identify needs of patients and develop and maintain appropriate care plans.
· Assess patient’s condition through recognizing and interpreting symptoms and signs and reporting significant changes in physical and emotional condition.
· Observe, report and record symptoms and administer medications and treatment as prescribed.
· Responsible for safekeeping of medications and proper care of equipment.
· Assist in maintaining a physical and psycho social environment to meet the needs of patients.
· Develop and maintain good relationships with patients and families.
· Ensure all documentation including patient charts and incident/accident reports are completed as required.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Comply with provincial occupational health and safety legislation, regulations, policies and procedures.
· Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
General Skills and Abilities:
· Works well in a team environment
· Good written and verbal communication skills
· Proficiency with a computer including using the internet, the electronic medical record and MS Office software.
· Speed and accuracy
· Can solve problems
· Has good judgment
Clinical Skills and Abilities:
· AIRWAY MANAGEMENT
o Oxygen administration
o Nasal cannula
o Face mask
o Venturi mask
o Rebreathing mask
o Lung and thoracic assessment
o Suctioning (Oropharyngeal, Nasopharyngeal)
o Pulse oximetry
o Pulse Doppler
· ELIMINATION MANAGEMENT
o Collection of urinary specimens
· MEDICATION MANAGEMENT
o Oral medications
o Eye medications
o Ear medications
o Topical medication
o Inhalation therapy
o Subcutaneous injections
o Intramuscular injections
o Oral narcotics
o Narcotic count
· INFUSION MANAGEMENT
o Set-up of IV lines
o Hang non-medicated solutions/infusions
o Discontinue an IV
o Document rate/solution of an IV
· ASSESSMENT SKILLS
o Cardiovascular system
o Head, eyes, ear, nose, throat
o Integumentary system
o Musculoskeletal system
o Neck, lymph nodes, breast
o Neurologic system
o Peripheral vascular system
o Respiratory system
o Elder assessment
o Mental health
o Pain assessment
· Perform and record result for various lab tests done at the clinic such as urinalysis and urine drug tests
· Advanced Cardiac Life Support certificate (ACLS)