EARLS Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Learned a lot, and the people were good, but management was lacking somewhat.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: Discounted meals and occasionally free ones.
Cons: Poor management, extremely stressful work.
When I signed on to work with Earls, management made it very clear that all kitchen staff get their start in the dish pit, do well in there and you will be moved into the kitchen. This made sense, and so I did as instructed. A few months pass and as my probation ends I am moved out of the dish pit. However I was not given a spot in the kitchen or even in the back portioning but was instead made to be an expediter. Now I'm still not entirely sure why I was given such an important role in the kitchen with zero knowledge or training on policy and menu's, but I did my best with what I could.

A typical day then for me was to jump between being an expediter in the front, and working the dish pit in the back, usually multiple times a day. Needless to say it was a difficult task to undertake, and was by far the hardest part about the job.

My co-workers on the other hand were a great bunch of individuals who made me feel welcome and part of the team. These unique and talented individuals kept me coming back and looking forward to my next shift, they were the best part of my job.

I learned a lot about technique, organization, and how to deal with conflict and extremely stressful situations.
Fun place to work at
Dishwashing (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 6, 2015
Pros: One meal free
Cons: 8 hours
It was a fun place to work at , i liked the staff and they were super friendly . They always encouraged me and cheered me up to do my best . They made the job easy for me , it was all about having fun while working .
Focused mainly on people growth
Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
Pros: set routines
Cons: incredibly late hours
Very supportive of growth and development. I learned a lot about people management as well as the business side of hospitality. Each day was similar. Prepare every individual aspect of the business according to sales projections and afterwards have development conversations. My main focus was new trainees.
fast paced fun environment
Administrative Assistant / Lounge Server (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 1, 2015
Pros: Relatively short hours
Cons: Required to be available weekends
Fun work place, great while you are working to complete an education. Inconsistencies within management, high employee turnover and unstable routine due to shift work.
fun work place
LIne Cook (Former Employee), edmonton AbAugust 11, 2015
Pros: good team
Cons: bad scheduling managmant
fun but not very productive or structured trouble finding a way to communicate with management because of distance and mis communication they had presented to myself and many other employees
Fairly good
Line Cook (Current Employee), Medicine Hat, ABAugust 1, 2015
Pros: good atmosphere, good staff, fun
Cons: busy, bad management, lots of cleaning
Earls Medicine Hat has a great work atmosphere and the staff is lots of fun to be around and to get alone with, the management on the other hand sucks they "loss" your cheques from time to time and are terrible for scheduling if you want hours you might need to hound them for some.
Earls Restaurant is a very spirited work place
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 11, 2015
Pros: Staff parties, food discount
Working at Earls, your colleagues become family. You feel supported, have a good time during work still while accomplishing tasks. I feel like I grew up at the St.Vital Earls location in Winnipeg. From very young I would go for dinner with my family at least once a week. Both of my sisters work there as well, so it really is a family. I love Earls, my current position is Apps closer, as well as thoroughly knowing all of the stations on line. I love the drive of the kitchen, the constant go go go fast pace shifts. However I've started to reconsider. Although I do have a passion for food, I've noticed the front of house in a restaurant may be more suited to my liking. I love working in the restaurant business, and I believe having worked in the back of house first I will bring even more knowledge as a server to the front of the house.
Fast paced but encouraging teamwork.
Server/Bartender/ Shift Leader (Current Employee), Whitehorse, YTJune 7, 2015
Although not a job for everyone the lucky few who thrive in these environments can do very well and attain high job satisfaction.
fast-pace environment
Chef (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Everyones open to opinions
Cons: no benefits
A place where expectations are high and realistic to meet. The experience goes beyond what you can learn at any regular retail shop.
Fun workplace with great people
Cook/Prep (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: an amazing group of employees whom all seem very outgoing in and out of work.
Cons: split shifts, not enough hours per week, food is still expensive even with 50% off considering how much it cost to make.
I usually start at 11 am then end at 3 pm and sometimes we have split shifts that start 2 hours later, which makes going home seemingly pointless. I understand it is to save money, but I just think it is very outrageous in wasting 2 hours everyday just to wait for your next shift to come on. I learned how to stay organized and keeping a clean environment. Interacting with my co-workers improved my social skills. The most enjoyable part of the job is cooking and the amazing people you get to work with.
Very nice people
Line Cook (Former Employee), Fir & W BroadwayOctober 14, 2014
Typical restaurant job. Very friendly people and nice environment. But can get extremely busy and you will not get off at your scheduled time 100% of the time.
Fast paced and friendly
All of my previous position: (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 13, 2014
Pros: amazing staff and coworkers
Cons: busy, no breaks for part time hostess'
I learned a lot and met a bunch of wonderful people in my time there. Unfortunatly i became really Ill and was incapable of working at that time so the company and i decided it was best if i was let go.
its alright
Line Cook (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: tip out
Cons: low wage
Our Kitchen is a great place to grow your career as a chef. We often hire partners with little to no experience in a kitchen and put them through a rigorous training program to get them to that next level as a chef and as a leader. If you are committed to growing we are committed to helping you. Our chefs are trained through the Earls training program and have the opportunity to become Red Seal Certified, all on us!

^^^ how Earls describes itself. Little does it say about the strict guideline on food safety and sanitation, which is great! Little to no experience, doesn't matter, they will teach you!!!
Your day is completely dependant on you, wanna leave early, put your head down and work. Wanna enjoy your time there, thats an option too. Your co workers are usually quite fun, that's because they're usually highschoolers
fast pace work environment with lots of responsibility
Hostess (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2014
Pros: 50% off food
Cons: short hours
-I would put all of the servers tables in the little computer, then set up any reservations. gather all of the menus and organize them. Make reservations through phone calls. Seated customers & presented them with menus.
-I have learned that you have to be considerate of everyone and how to manage your time while seating the guests because that can make or break everyone whose working (including kitchen).
not really a good place for male servers
Server (Former Employee), burnaby bcAugust 9, 2014
Pros: almost a cool place to be in
Cons: making no money
as i gave them 9 shifts avail. they only gave me 2 lunch short shifts?!!! if i am not a good server why hire me and if i am why only 2 shifts in the worst section of the room?!! anyway after 1 year i decided i had enough of it.
Productive and Fun workplace
Server (Current Employee), Fort McMurray YMMAugust 2, 2014
I learned alot about how to manage a restaurant just by being a server at Earls.
The management is amazing and is always ready to help
Fast workplace always dealing with customer service
Server (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABApril 5, 2014
Very high employee turnover. Not enough training or support from management which was the hardest part working there. The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with customers and fulfilling their experience.
Earls
BARTENDER/ LOUNGE SERVER (Former Employee), Jasper, ABApril 5, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: seasonal town, hours very minimal in the fall/winter season.
My experience at Earl's was wonderful. Great people, wonderful food and craft cocktails. I fine tuned my bar tending skills during my time with Earls.
Fun place to work not a mature environment
Prep Coach (Former Employee), St. Albert, ABMarch 3, 2014
Pros: hours
Cons: little breaks maybe one 30 min break
Typical day day would be getting their for 530 am, preping goods sauce bake goods, ect. i learned how to mange my level of staff as a leader their and how to manage my day effectively.

Management felt really poor. would change schedule without telling anyone and would not give them any notice often. Would ask opinions of many staff then ignore them anyways.

Dealing with conflict was the hardest part of the job. i would have to meditate between to people and allmost all that would always that thing on the personal level not the professional level.

I really enjoy being their for people when they had problems.whether it was person or some about the jobs or just little life questions they had for me.
A fun environment and a place you can always grow from
Server, Manager (Former Employee), Langley, BCFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: relationships
Cons: short hours
A day to day shift at earls would include creating relationships with guests that last a lifetime, memories with coworkers that will stick with me forever, and experiences that you can take more out of than any other place that I have worked at. Work included tedious tasks, such as making sure all flatware was sparkling to more intricate detailing such as constant feedback to coworkers and always knowing how profitable the day/night is. For me, the best part about my job was by far the relationships that I made with the wide array of people that came in week after week, day after day, to be served by the one person they have connected most with. I learned so much about so many people and will always remember their smiling faces whenever I fulfilled every one of their expressed an unexpressed wishes. The hardest part of my job was knowing that no matter how much effort you give and no matter how much you try, some people simply aren't happy with what you have to offer. Although not everyone leaves happy, you always make every experience, whether bad or good, a learning experience.