EARLS Employee Reviews

Good if you like bad pay and horrible hours.
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 December 2016
They constantly promised promotions and pay raises. Schedule is inconsistent. One week you will work 1-9pm and the next they will make you work till 3am.

They favor people who want a career in cooking. If they find out you don't they will treat you badly.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Long hours. Bad pay
Great people, sub-par management
Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 September 2016
The environment at Earls in generally positive and fun. I have made great friends through the company and almost everyone that works there is very easy to get along with. Management seems to be quite unorganized most of the time and doesn't seem to prioritize what needs to be done. Rather, they just find ways to save money. But even so, the people in management are overall great people to be around. MOST of my experience is that they actually do care about you as a person (with exceptions). Hardest part of the job is dealing with unruly customers (which I'm sure you can find almost anywhere) but also not having set hours can be a bit of a bummer (working 1 hour sometimes and never know when you're going home on others).
Pros
Great people, great food
Cons
unreliable hours and money
can be a fun workplace if you make it that way
Prep Cook and Line cook (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 March 2017
Great place to work when it comes to advancement as well as growing as an individual. but can sometimes take a toll on your body due to lack of staff.
Pros
good people
Cons
good people
Decent
Server (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton, AB25 January 2017
management is never around when you need them. wearing heels all day was the hardest part. a typical day at work goes by fast cuz you are always busy
Bartending part time was great for being a uni student.
Bartender and part time waitress (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 December 2016
I had a great managers who were able to work around my university schedule. I loved the clientele and a majority of the staff i worked with. It was a great job for being a student.
Pros
tips
Cons
no cons
Productive for my skill set, helped me grow in different areas
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 May 2016
- 9am-5pm, running the Day service and setting up the restaurant for success during the Night rush
- learned how to be hard but fair. Different People need different reactions and different areas to grow
- Management still has faith in my abilities and wishes me to move forward with the company; School comes first for me
- Having to hold people accountable when they do not see the issue
- Getting the chance to use my leadership skills and mold them to be the type of boss I want to be
Pros
Leadership improvement and opportunities
Cons
Sporadic intense moments
Great learning experience
Lounge Server and Barista (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 September 2016
Earls was a great place for me to work. Unfortunately, I was being bullied by a manager so I felt that it was time to move on. Overall, I enjoyed working with Earls. Before the dilemma happened, I was appreciated and I created regulars who still go there today.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
The one manager who abused her power
Busy yet entertaining work place. Time always flew by.
DISHWASHER/PORTIONING/APPETIZER COOK (Former Employee) –  Earls, Winnipeg, Manitoba.15 January 2014
A typical day at Earls usually consisted of coming in fully uniformed, getting the dishwasher station ready and upcoming for opening, making sure everything was organized and ready to go. I was always on the ball and made sure the area was as clear and organized as possible. I was also trained for appetizer cook and was usually asked to do that at the same time as the dishwashing which did get a little overwhelming at time. They seemed to have low staff when I worked there and had problems with hours. Later on I heard of them getting closed down. Other than that I was always a perfectionist in everything that I did.
Pros
Employees we're fun to work with and you got to learn about cooking as well as other kitchen skills.
Cons
In my opinion it was too heavy of a work load for one person, especially with the low salary.
effective and pleasant workplace
Delivery Coordinator, Hostess (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 March 2016
A typical day at work is always eventful and productive that provided a new learning experience from day to day. In this job I have learned how to effectively deal with customer complaints and disarray. Management at Earls continuously pushed me to become a better team player as well as giving me new opportunities to further enhance my skills as an efficient and organized employee. While at this job I have had the chance to work with a variety of people while making genuine, and long lasting connections with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job would be the large influx of employee change, however at the same time the most enjoyable part of the job was having the ability to meet so many amazing people. As well as providing service for regular customers.
Productive and Fun workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC24 April 2016
- A typical day includes changing into work attire, scanning out my section of tables, cleaning the glass and silverware on each table with a cloth and hot steam, engaging in conversation with customers, taking drink and food orders, serving drinks and food, always smiling and always putting customers first

- to better engage in random conversations with people I just met, to multi task under high pressure, to pay close attention to what is being ordered, to watch for allergies, to re-read and double check orders before punching them in, to always smile and always out customers first

- Management was not the greatest, they did favour certain people over others depending on how close of friends they were or how long they knew each other. They were nice people in general, but weren't fair at times with treating all employees equally.

- The hardest part was not being affected with seeing other people who did not work as hard get better treatment than the people who did work very hard. It was accepting that it was just the way things were.

- The most enjoyable part was meeting new customers and getting to know so many people who would just make my day!
Pros
discounted meals, tips
Cons
biased
People are great
Employé (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 July 2016
Some awesome people
Pretty unrewarding work experience
Demanding for a minimum wage job
Lots of room for future success at the cost of current sacrifice
Great staff, Good quality food, fun work enviorment.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC10 March 2012
It was a few years back when i worked there, but i do know that the company that is Earls will always move there staff forward and transfer them if the request is submitted. There wages are competitive with other restaurants of its caliber, and the benefits will get better the longer you are with them.
was enjoyable
Cook, food preparation, dish washer, cleaning (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2016
good friendly place to work just not enough money to be made there for a single father. they re willing to help you learn a lot about cooking which is great.
Pros
very friendly pace
Cons
dont always get off on time
fast-pace environment
Chef (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 March 2015
A place where expectations are high and realistic to meet. The experience goes beyond what you can learn at any regular retail shop.
Pros
Everyones open to opinions
Cons
no benefits
Learned a lot, and the people were good, but management was lacking somewhat.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 January 2016
When I signed on to work with Earls, management made it very clear that all kitchen staff get their start in the dish pit, do well in there and you will be moved into the kitchen. This made sense, and so I did as instructed. A few months pass and as my probation ends I am moved out of the dish pit. However I was not given a spot in the kitchen or even in the back portioning but was instead made to be an expediter. Now I'm still not entirely sure why I was given such an important role in the kitchen with zero knowledge or training on policy and menu's, but I did my best with what I could.

A typical day then for me was to jump between being an expediter in the front, and working the dish pit in the back, usually multiple times a day. Needless to say it was a difficult task to undertake, and was by far the hardest part about the job.

My co-workers on the other hand were a great bunch of individuals who made me feel welcome and part of the team. These unique and talented individuals kept me coming back and looking forward to my next shift, they were the best part of my job.

I learned a lot about technique, organization, and how to deal with conflict and extremely stressful situations.
Pros
Discounted meals and occasionally free ones.
Cons
Poor management, extremely stressful work.
Greeting and seating customers
Hostess (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB4 February 2016
Typical day at work included keeping a high energy level throughout my shift, greeting and seating customers. Management was okay, but I loved all the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job for myself would've been wearing heels for an entire shift.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
That specific dress code
great
Sous Chef - Saucier - Cooked various dishes (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2016
It was a fun job, I learned many things I couldn´t do in school, lot´s of growing for me, crazy work hours, had my own team to build trust upon each other.
its alright
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 September 2014
Our Kitchen is a great place to grow your career as a chef. We often hire partners with little to no experience in a kitchen and put them through a rigorous training program to get them to that next level as a chef and as a leader. If you are committed to growing we are committed to helping you. Our chefs are trained through the Earls training program and have the opportunity to become Red Seal Certified, all on us!

^^^ how Earls describes itself. Little does it say about the strict guideline on food safety and sanitation, which is great! Little to no experience, doesn't matter, they will teach you!!!
Your day is completely dependant on you, wanna leave early, put your head down and work. Wanna enjoy your time there, thats an option too. Your co workers are usually quite fun, that's because they're usually highschoolers
Pros
tip out
Cons
low wage
Fun place to work not a mature environment
Prep Coach (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB3 March 2014
Typical day day would be getting their for 530 am, preping goods sauce bake goods, ect. i learned how to mange my level of staff as a leader their and how to manage my day effectively.

Management felt really poor. would change schedule without telling anyone and would not give them any notice often. Would ask opinions of many staff then ignore them anyways.

Dealing with conflict was the hardest part of the job. i would have to meditate between to people and allmost all that would always that thing on the personal level not the professional level.

I really enjoy being their for people when they had problems.whether it was person or some about the jobs or just little life questions they had for me.
Pros
hours
Cons
little breaks maybe one 30 min break
Focused mainly on people growth
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2015
Very supportive of growth and development. I learned a lot about people management as well as the business side of hospitality. Each day was similar. Prepare every individual aspect of the business according to sales projections and afterwards have development conversations. My main focus was new trainees.
Pros
set routines
Cons
incredibly late hours

2.7