EARLS Employee Reviews in Canada

People are great
Employé (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 20, 2016
Some awesome people
Pretty unrewarding work experience
Demanding for a minimum wage job
Lots of room for future success at the cost of current sacrifice
Productive for my skill set, helped me grow in different areas
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 9, 2016
- 9am-5pm, running the Day service and setting up the restaurant for success during the Night rush
- learned how to be hard but fair. Different People need different reactions and different areas to grow
- Management still has faith in my abilities and wishes me to move forward with the company; School comes first for me
- Having to hold people accountable when they do not see the issue
- Getting the chance to use my leadership skills and mold them to be the type of boss I want to be
Pros
Leadership improvement and opportunities
Cons
Sporadic intense moments
Productive and Fun workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCApril 24, 2016
- A typical day includes changing into work attire, scanning out my section of tables, cleaning the glass and silverware on each table with a cloth and hot steam, engaging in conversation with customers, taking drink and food orders, serving drinks and food, always smiling and always putting customers first

- to better engage in random conversations with people I just met, to multi task under high pressure, to pay close attention to what is being ordered, to watch for allergies, to re-read and double check orders before punching them in, to always smile and always out customers first

- Management was not the greatest, they did favour certain people over others depending on how close of friends they were or how long they knew each other. They were nice people in general, but weren't fair at times with treating all employees equally.

- The hardest part was not being affected with seeing other people who did not work as hard get better treatment than the people who did work very hard. It was accepting that it was just the way things were.

- The most enjoyable part was meeting new customers and getting to know so many people who would just make my day!
Pros
discounted meals, tips
Cons
biased
great
Sous Chef - Saucier - Cooked various dishes (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 4, 2016
It was a fun job, I learned many things I couldn´t do in school, lot´s of growing for me, crazy work hours, had my own team to build trust upon each other.
effective and pleasant workplace
Delivery Coordinator, Hostess (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 20, 2016
A typical day at work is always eventful and productive that provided a new learning experience from day to day. In this job I have learned how to effectively deal with customer complaints and disarray. Management at Earls continuously pushed me to become a better team player as well as giving me new opportunities to further enhance my skills as an efficient and organized employee. While at this job I have had the chance to work with a variety of people while making genuine, and long lasting connections with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job would be the large influx of employee change, however at the same time the most enjoyable part of the job was having the ability to meet so many amazing people. As well as providing service for regular customers.
Greeting and seating customers
Hostess (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABFebruary 4, 2016
Typical day at work included keeping a high energy level throughout my shift, greeting and seating customers. Management was okay, but I loved all the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job for myself would've been wearing heels for an entire shift.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
That specific dress code
Learned a lot, and the people were good, but management was lacking somewhat.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 27, 2016
When I signed on to work with Earls, management made it very clear that all kitchen staff get their start in the dish pit, do well in there and you will be moved into the kitchen. This made sense, and so I did as instructed. A few months pass and as my probation ends I am moved out of the dish pit. However I was not given a spot in the kitchen or even in the back portioning but was instead made to be an expediter. Now I'm still not entirely sure why I was given such an important role in the kitchen with zero knowledge or training on policy and menu's, but I did my best with what I could.

A typical day then for me was to jump between being an expediter in the front, and working the dish pit in the back, usually multiple times a day. Needless to say it was a difficult task to undertake, and was by far the hardest part about the job.

My co-workers on the other hand were a great bunch of individuals who made me feel welcome and part of the team. These unique and talented individuals kept me coming back and looking forward to my next shift, they were the best part of my job.

I learned a lot about technique, organization, and how to deal with conflict and extremely stressful situations.
Pros
Discounted meals and occasionally free ones.
Cons
Poor management, extremely stressful work.
Fun place to work at
Dishwashing (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 6, 2015
It was a fun place to work at , i liked the staff and they were super friendly . They always encouraged me and cheered me up to do my best . They made the job easy for me , it was all about having fun while working .
Pros
One meal free
Cons
8 hours
Focused mainly on people growth
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
Very supportive of growth and development. I learned a lot about people management as well as the business side of hospitality. Each day was similar. Prepare every individual aspect of the business according to sales projections and afterwards have development conversations. My main focus was new trainees.
Pros
set routines
Cons
incredibly late hours
fast paced fun environment
Administrative Assistant / Lounge Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 1, 2015
Fun work place, great while you are working to complete an education. Inconsistencies within management, high employee turnover and unstable routine due to shift work.
Pros
Relatively short hours
Cons
Required to be available weekends
fun work place
LIne Cook (Former Employee) –  edmonton AbAugust 11, 2015
fun but not very productive or structured trouble finding a way to communicate with management because of distance and mis communication they had presented to myself and many other employees
Pros
good team
Cons
bad scheduling managmant
Fairly good
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABAugust 1, 2015
Earls Medicine Hat has a great work atmosphere and the staff is lots of fun to be around and to get alone with, the management on the other hand sucks they "loss" your cheques from time to time and are terrible for scheduling if you want hours you might need to hound them for some.
Pros
good atmosphere, good staff, fun
Cons
busy, bad management, lots of cleaning
Earls Restaurant is a very spirited work place
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 11, 2015
Working at Earls, your colleagues become family. You feel supported, have a good time during work still while accomplishing tasks. I feel like I grew up at the St.Vital Earls location in Winnipeg. From very young I would go for dinner with my family at least once a week. Both of my sisters work there as well, so it really is a family. I love Earls, my current position is Apps closer, as well as thoroughly knowing all of the stations on line. I love the drive of the kitchen, the constant go go go fast pace shifts. However I've started to reconsider. Although I do have a passion for food, I've noticed the front of house in a restaurant may be more suited to my liking. I love working in the restaurant business, and I believe having worked in the back of house first I will bring even more knowledge as a server to the front of the house.
Pros
Staff parties, food discount
Fast paced but encouraging teamwork.
Server/Bartender/ Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Whitehorse, YTJune 7, 2015
Although not a job for everyone the lucky few who thrive in these environments can do very well and attain high job satisfaction.
fast-pace environment
Chef (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 29, 2015
A place where expectations are high and realistic to meet. The experience goes beyond what you can learn at any regular retail shop.
Pros
Everyones open to opinions
Cons
no benefits
Fun workplace with great people
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCFebruary 23, 2015
I usually start at 11 am then end at 3 pm and sometimes we have split shifts that start 2 hours later, which makes going home seemingly pointless. I understand it is to save money, but I just think it is very outrageous in wasting 2 hours everyday just to wait for your next shift to come on. I learned how to stay organized and keeping a clean environment. Interacting with my co-workers improved my social skills. The most enjoyable part of the job is cooking and the amazing people you get to work with.
Pros
an amazing group of employees whom all seem very outgoing in and out of work.
Cons
split shifts, not enough hours per week, food is still expensive even with 50% off considering how much it cost to make.
Very nice people
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Fir & W BroadwayOctober 14, 2014
Typical restaurant job. Very friendly people and nice environment. But can get extremely busy and you will not get off at your scheduled time 100% of the time.
Fast paced and friendly
All of my previous position: (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 13, 2014
I learned a lot and met a bunch of wonderful people in my time there. Unfortunatly i became really Ill and was incapable of working at that time so the company and i decided it was best if i was let go.
Pros
amazing staff and coworkers
Cons
busy, no breaks for part time hostess'
its alright
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 17, 2014
Our Kitchen is a great place to grow your career as a chef. We often hire partners with little to no experience in a kitchen and put them through a rigorous training program to get them to that next level as a chef and as a leader. If you are committed to growing we are committed to helping you. Our chefs are trained through the Earls training program and have the opportunity to become Red Seal Certified, all on us!

^^^ how Earls describes itself. Little does it say about the strict guideline on food safety and sanitation, which is great! Little to no experience, doesn't matter, they will teach you!!!
Your day is completely dependant on you, wanna leave early, put your head down and work. Wanna enjoy your time there, thats an option too. Your co workers are usually quite fun, that's because they're usually highschoolers
Pros
tip out
Cons
low wage
fast pace work environment with lots of responsibility
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2014
-I would put all of the servers tables in the little computer, then set up any reservations. gather all of the menus and organize them. Make reservations through phone calls. Seated customers & presented them with menus.
-I have learned that you have to be considerate of everyone and how to manage your time while seating the guests because that can make or break everyone whose working (including kitchen).
Pros
50% off food
Cons
short hours

2.8