Earls Kitchen + Bar Employee Reviews

The start you might not like but will appreciate in the long run
Saucier & Coach (Former Employee) –  Port coquitlam , BC7 February 2018
Everyone should work at a restaurant at some point in their life. The job really does teach you work ethic and time management . There really are no immediate conventional pros to the job , but the people and culture are unbeatable and the long term life experience and lessons are the best takeaway.
Pros
people, culture, work ethic
Cons
short breaks, sketchy management, low pay
A good place to work during highschool for some pocket money
Server Assistant/Setter (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 January 2018
As a setter (more commonly called Busser) work is often very fast paced as you must constantly set and reset tables, fill water glasses, and assist the servers. In my experience the culture is fantastic, people tend to be very extroverted and happy with their jobs. Managers are friendly and understanding, but tend to be very busy. If you want their attention to ask for a break or something you will probably need to be direct. Some nights might end up being much, much longer than expected if it is particularly busy and understaffed, which is a fairly common occurrence. Easy place to make friends for more social people, and an easy job to zone out and get lost in your thoughts as you work. Also you get a discount on the food.
Pros
Great coworkers, great food
Cons
Hours can be unexpectedly long, could prove to be a difficult workplace for shy, anxious, or introverted people
Positive
Server/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2018
Amazing leaders and dedicated partners that work hard to help you grow within the company together. Partners believe that there are opportunities for everyone.
Fun, Loving and Productive family restaurant.
Setter (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 January 2018
LOVE working at Earl's Restaurant. ALL of the staff are friendly people quickly felt like family. All about teamwork which is awesome. Food and service are great!
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
hours vary on how busy the restaurant is that day
Very fun place to work
Table Setter (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 January 2018
Earls is such a fantastic place to work. The people there are lovely and make you feel like you're apart of the environment. The management is great and they are very flexible with your needs and desires. In the summer you get lots of hours, winter quiets down but can still get busy.
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
Late nights or long days
Great people, beautiful store
Leader 1, Lounge and Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2018
Hardest part of my job would be hiring and firing partners. Recruiting has to be one of the hardest parts of my position at earls. It can be very difficult depending on your location.
great culture, learned a lot about people skills
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 December 2017
Long hours on salary, must be very dedicated to what you are doing. Hardest part was when there was a bad night there was lots of damage control to do.
Was a ok place to start
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC7 December 2017
Worked there for a few years. Which says somthing in itself. If you work hard you can advance. However that only.goes so far if your in vernon as it is not a corporate owned location. Which means it doesn't even have close to the same culture most earls do. Owners are funny guys and cool to hang out with. However unless your management they just see you as a # and have said countless times cooks are a dime a dozen....wage was ok the more you in. However hard to get a raise. Wage and benefits as management were pretty good. They invested in me heavily which I am grateful for. I would recommend as a starting block. Can teach lots of fundamentals. This particular location has some issues with the building, equipment and overall cleanliness..
Pros
Good if your managment
Cons
Vernon location not corporate. Dont get same opportunities as other earls.
its a decent place to work
Duties - food prep, cook, dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 November 2017
it was a fun place to work and had a great environment although it was a bit to crowded in the dish pit but besides that all in all it was an excellent experience
Great Place
Management Partner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 October 2017
A fantastic place to work at with reliable coworkers who will help you grow and develop towards your future aspirations. there are plenty of opportunities to advance and grow. If you are interested in perusing this career path, this is a wonderful organization to do so
Fun workplace
Line Cook - Closing Coach (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 October 2017
Workplace culture had an emphasis on enjoying your work. In turn giving the best possible product even in the stress of daily kitchen life. I learned all the basics of various kinds of cooking, including pan fry, fry, grill, and oven work.
The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the people who work there. Closely followed by the streamlined process of getting raw food to a finished product.
Good Company, Poor Management
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2017
Love the companu as a whole. Amazing goals, amazing training, amazing vision. However, from my personal experience, the management of my specific location was absolutely terrible. The General Manager treated everyone like absolute garbage, and made everyone feel insecure, unsafe, and unimportant. Immature, holds grudges and treats people like trash.
Fun workplace with lots of oppurtunities
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2017
I worked at earls for over two years, in different positions such as a hostess, guest experience manager and server. There is lots of opportunity for growth and learning within the company.
Stressful but fun environment
Joined as a hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2017
Dinner service is very stressful and unorganized, co-workers aren't willing to help out as much as they would during any other time of the day. Management is pushy and not understanding. Workers are fun and kind, atmosphere is fun and relaxing not during rush hour time.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Short hours, unpredictable schedule
fun atmosphere, fast paced
Lounge Server (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB24 August 2017
On a regular day I start of my shift with checking which section I am in and great customers as they come though, hardest part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers but I try my hardest to make them happy and to satisfy their needs at the restaurant. I love to work with all the girls and staff that I do on a day to day basis, but unfortunately the management is not the best. I have learned a lot with working with different people every day and how to deal with a variety of situations which will benefit me throughout my life, and i hope to be able to continue working with people every day and be able to help out as much as i can.
Fun environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 July 2017
Very fun and friendly work environment, flexible work schedule, approachable managers and strong emphasis on team work. Not much opportunity for front of house promotion (i.e. from hostess to server)
Management was good.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 July 2017
I would come clock in, come into the kitchen set up my station.
When an order would come up, I would call the order and start that bill. I learned a lot of about cooking in general as I came into this job with zero cooking experience. The workplace culture was good people there really seemed upbeat and excited. The hardest part of the job was I had no kitchen experience before and worked one of the busiest week of the year as my first week.
Pros
Good people to be around
Cons
Pay was not worth it
Great people with okay management
Cook/Dish Washer/PrepCook (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 July 2017
My experience at Earls was a rough one, I gave them many chances and they failed to meet most of my wants. That's not to say that they left me out to dry but little to no effort is put in to making you better. They have a heavy lean on "You make yourself better' Mentality.

Although the people they do hire are some of the most fun and out going people i have ever worked with and what had kept me with the company for three years.

If i had to i would go and work for them again, but i would be very clear in what my intentions were and how long i expect them to meet them.
Pros
GREAT PEOPLE! Amazing food
Cons
Hard, long, hot, hours cooking.
fun workplace
Server (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB12 July 2017
Earls is a good place to work at, it can be very fast paced and stressful but is overall rewarding. I would recommend this job to other people if they like busy work environments, and if they can handle the potential stress.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
hectic
Great place to work but low pay
Line cook (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON6 July 2017
Great staff and general place to work . Restaurant is very clean and customers are great. However unless you are a head or sous chef, hours are very hard to get resulting in small paychecks.
Pros
The atmosphere
Cons
Low hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Earls Kitchen + Bar. Our community is ready to answer.